• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Season Pass: $30, "we dont know what the actual DLC will be yet"

Monster Zero

I swear people are dense as fuck. Am i actually reading people bitching about Bethesda not knowing what the dlc will be? Gee, i seem to remember an alternate reality where companies that know what their DLC would be were crucified for cutting content from the main game, cause they had the DLC already planned.

The problem is putting a price tag on a product that hasn't even been conjured up in any way. How can you put a price value on a product that doesn't exist or even being made yet

~Kinggi~

Banned
The problem is putting a price tag on a product that hasn't even been conjured up in any way. How can you put a price value on a product that doesn't exist or even being made yet

Believe me, they have an idea of what their DLC will be. They are just "thinking" they are doing the right thing by acting like they dont presume to have it all developed form the get-go. No-win scenario like usual.

I swear people are dense as fuck. Am i actually reading people bitching about Bethesda not knowing what the dlc will be? Gee, i seem to remember an alternate reality where companies that know what their DLC would be were crucified for cutting content from the main game, cause they had the DLC already planned.

Lol indeed.

Devs announced DLC before game releases : "How dare they cut the content from the main game!"
Devs announced planned DLCs before game releases : "How could they announce something that doesn't even exist!"

The devs just can't win. However, I think devs should hold these DLC announcements at least until the game releases.

Mister Wolf

Bethesda isn't even paying these people to shill. Im sure they will have decent dlc like always but its a bit tacky to ask for money with no product.

I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with people raising an eyebrow at this. I mean, they're announcing a pricepoint when they don't even know what the content will be? I can see why some would think that this doesn't make for the best PR. At a bare minimum, I think the announcement should come with some sort of road plan now and a more solid game plan for when the pass actually goes on sale.

I just also think that perhaps people are just too trained to be cynical about any and all PR that doesn't sound the most consumer friendly that they sometimes resort to kneejerk hyperbole too quickly. Post release content is the norm. This is the world we live in. And I'm sure the devs were pressured from retailers and publishers alike to already be ready to announce their strategy before it's really finalized. I get why this seems like a silly PR thing to do. But I also understand why it's being done.

I mean, obviously, there's going to be DLC. It'll probably be similar to the framework already laid by previous Bethesda titles. If you're a huge Elder Scrolls/Fallout fan, the notion of purchasing DLC might very well be a no-brainer. I think we all have franchises that are near and dear to us where we just trust that we're going to want everything the game has to offer. Whether Bethesda and Fallout fit that bill for you or not is for you to decide.

Me? I'm certainly not putting down money sight unseen for the promise of more content. But then again I'm not big into pre-ordering. I'm also not big into Kickstarter. But others are. And that's fine. I don't think there's anything to get worked up about here. I'm not sold on the vague promise of DLC they promise will be worth it, so I'll hold on to my money for now. I'm sure that many are like me. But I don't feel like there's any pressure to make a final decision now either. So, it doesn't bother me that they have formulated a strategy.

That still doesn't mean I think this is the best way to handle it. I just also don't ultimately think it's that big of a deal. It's your money, do what you want with it. After all, these are just video games.

While I don't see the sense in announcing any pricing at this stage if they aren't able/willing to speak of content, I don't see a major issue until Bethesda starts selling the pass with equal to barely more insight as to the content of the season pass.

Alucrid

Banned
Believe me, they have an idea of what their DLC will be. They are just "thinking" they are doing the right thing by acting like they dont presume to have it all developed form the get-go. No-win scenario like usual.

it's funny because twitter replies to the announcement still have comments asking why they're planning dlc before launch and cutting content from the game. so now they're losing both ways

gosox333

They are naming prices

They are not announcing to the public anything about what they are pricing

If they are at a point where they are naming prices then they should at the very least specify what they've decided on to get that price.

Either they're just being purposely obtuse and not doing that, or they truly have no idea what they're doing and just randomly threw a price out there with no plans.

Is it that hard to see what's not good here?

I mean at the very least it's only an annoyance, at the worst it's reckless. But this could set precedence for other companies too, companies that might not follow through and announce/actually charge a season pass for some horse armor type shit before they even think about what they plan on doing.

That is the main concern here.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Bethesda is one of the few developers I would trust by buying a Season pass. Fallout and Skyrim DLC was good, and easily worth 30 for everything.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Last I checked season passes arent pre-order only affairs so i'd agree with Steve that this isnt anything to get worked up over and just decide over time if you want to spend the money or not. I mean goddamn.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like another game I'll be waiting a year after to buy, and with so many other games that have come out or are coming out without a season pass, I don't mind waiting for this edition:

uQMjUlB.png

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Bethesda is one of the few developers I would trust by buying a Season pass. Fallout and Skyrim DLC was good, and easily worth 30 for everything.

I'm inclined to agree. From Morrowind to present day, Bethesda DLC has overall been pretty good. I''ve certainly enjoyed the bulk of them.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It would be funny if they sell these passes and then don't do any DLC. They'd still be holding up their end of the bargain. You'd have received all the DLC they made for the game for your $30.

I'll pass on the pass until the dlc has come to pass.

This could become a new type of market, dlc futures.

I'm filming a new movie about soldiers in space fighting aliens. No trailer yet! I don't know who's starring or how long it'll be but you can buy a ticket right now for 15 bucks!

I'm recording a new album. It's gonna be hip-hop with some house elements. I don't know how many songs there will be, any guest features, or any small snippets to tease but you can buy it right now for 15 bucks!

You could never pull some shit like this in another industry.

aajohnny

And I don't understand this logic. Going by what some have said in this thread they would be happier if DLC was never released for a game so that they can feel like they are getting the whole experience for what they paid.

Me? I like it when publishers keep working on content after I buy it. And a Bethesda game that logic makes even less sense because you're easily getting 100 hours or way more content anyway. Just how complete do you want your game to be?

I'm pretty sure Bethesda said they are done with Fallout 4 base game. I think they said it in July.

“Not to over-exaggerate, but the game is essentially done,” Hines said. “When you talk about what else you are doing, all we’re doing is taking what exists and polishing it and fixing bugs. It’s not like you work until November 9 and then November 10 it’s out. You have to make discs and do this other stuff. They are finishing the game. That’s all they’re doing this summer.”"

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...entially-done-says-bethesda-s-pete-hines.aspx

Mister Wolf

It would be funny if they sell these passes and then don't do any DLC. They'd still be holding up their end of the bargain. You'd have received all the DLC they made for the game for your $30.

I'll pass on the pass until the dlc has come to pass.

This could become a new type of market, dlc futures.

What would be even funnier is if they release an "expansion" and say it doesn't fall under what they consider DLC.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I've never planned schedule and budget for a AAA game's post-release content before, but I assume the budget is built around a profit projection, which would require a unit price, wouldn't it?

So of course they have a number. They have to tell the executives something.

Kind of ballsy to publicly commit to a price without a detailed project plan, but I'm sure they'll work it out.

I don't see anything particularly upsetting, but I personally won't/wouldn't buy the season pass without knowing the contents.

I'm filming a new movie about soldiers in space fighting aliens. No trailer yet! I don't know who's starring or how long it'll be but you can buy a ticket right now for 15 bucks!

I'm recording a new album. It's gonna be hip-hop with some house elements. I don't know how many songs there will be, any guest features, or any small snippets to tease but you can buy it right now for 15 bucks!

Sounds like every kickstarter.

~Kinggi~

Banned

except there isnt an expiration date on when you can purchase this. Argument falls apart rather quickly when you realize people can wait until they know what they are buying to buy.

Kalentan

it's funny because twitter replies to the announcement still have comments asking why they're planning dlc before launch and cutting content from the game. so now they're losing both ways

There's no winning:

1. Announce that DLC will be coming out after launch and say what it is?
- Oh wow, so you guys just cut this content?
2. Announce that DLC will be coming out after launch but don't say what ti is?
- Criticise them for not knowing what it is and calling them scummy for announcing it.
3. Announce DLC shortly after laucnh.

Basically how it always is.

There's no winning:

- Criticise them for not knowing what it is and calling them scummy for announcing it.

Except it seems for souls games. That's the one series where I hear people anticipating DLC announcements, info, etc.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Except it seems for souls games. That's the one series where I hear people anticipating DLC announcements, info, etc.

Witcher 3

So basically the internet darlings get a pass.

Shocking :p

red720

Is there any reason people can't wait and see if the DLC is good before buying the seasons pass?

I don't understand why people wouldn't at least wait for reviews of the first expansion before buying this.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

It's because of the way they handle it. They don't announce anything for a long long time, so you are under the impression that you are getting a complete game before any whispers of dlc. Which is how people felt with Dark Souls 1, 2 and Bloodborne. If anything, their DLC feels like a bonus stage or secret that would exist in games of the past.

That is the main difference. If you announce DLC and passes before the game is even out, people already get the impression that your game is not complete or that what they are getting isn't the full experience even if it is. It's because you went about it the wrong way.

RDreamer

There's no winning:

Number 3 also has people angry that the knowledge of DLC wasn't disclosed, and people should be informed!

Basically all this is doing is teaching developers and publishers to not give a rat's ass about the opinions of the more hardcore players. If they can't ever be appeased and if this stuff does make money because the vast majority don't give a fuck, then why listen to the hardcore people like the ones here?

Witcher 3

Witcher 3 had people complaining that the DLC wasn't much of anything and that it was only free to distract us from the paid expansions.

While I don't see the sense in announcing any pricing at this stage if they aren't able/willing to speak of content, I don't see a major issue until Bethesda starts selling the pass with equal to barely more insight as to the content of the season pass.
Pretty much. I'd call it a blunder of small proportions, but no harm no foul until and unless they start selling that pass without providing any more details. Don't these kind of price announcements usually happen the same day they become available for purchase?

Just strange all around, BUT, like another poster here pointed out, they've also announced continuing development of free post-release DLC and features too, which is always nice to read, and shouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

There's no winning:
Announce what is absolutely known about the DLC. Say that some work has been done on the DLC as planned (which you'd have to do to get anything out the door in early 2016), but the focus is on the shipping game. Its not like the core game is at risk being delayed, and by all accounts there's far more Fallout here than there has ever been. That no-win scenario doesn't fly.

mechphree

I mean it is cause for concern when the company who wants you to buy something can't even tell you what it is.

SZips

Announce what is absolutely known about the DLC. Say that some work has been done on the DLC as planned (which you'd have to do to get anything out the door in early 2016), but the focus is on the shipping game. Its not like the core game is at risk being delayed, and by all accounts there's far more Fallout here than there has ever been. That no-win scenario doesn't fly.

Say they announce something concrete about the DLC, then what? Well, you get the people complaining about how that content is probably being cut from the main game (since it's obviously not yet shipped) and that it totally should just be a part of the game as it ships and not come out later for an added cost. Kalentan nailed it.

That's pretty much where this no-win situation comes at here. They did what is probably best: Inform people that there will be DLC and announce a price. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy it right now despite the reactions of some people to this news. It gives people that have confidence in the studio to purchase it if they want right now.

Pez

Yeah, big no on this one. What are they thinking? They're not even promising anything here. What if Fallout 4's FPS mechanics suck and that's what their DLC focuses on?

Like Arkham Knight all over again.

Yeah, big no on this one. What are they thinking? They're not even promising anything here. What if Fallout 4's FPS mechanics suck and that's what their DLC focuses on?

Like Arkham Knight all over again.
Exactly the issue as I see it with Season Passes and a possible pitfall to the strategy of saying nothing beforehand. Players will fill in any of the missing information blanks with their own assumptions and expectations (plenty of that to see in this thread) and those players could find themselves on the hook for a pass full of stuff they never expected or wanted. Maybe half the DLC is about base building - a new feature in Fallout 4 that some will love and others will want to avoid. Maybe its a horde mode. Maybe some of it is connected to some social features Bethesda wants to push.

Who knows? How many Destiny players were surprised to find out there's no (assumed) raid in that last DLC pack? Or Batman players looking for more challenge rooms and less Batmobile. The on-record dissonance between player expectation of season pass content and what actually gets released is plentiful on GAF and makes good fodder for this thread.

We'll find this stuff out later, certainly. But if there are any surprises wouldn't it be nice to know that stuff before the pass is put up for sale? Isn't that the very least you can do as a company when taking payment in advance for products to come down the line?

That's a general point about season passes and setting expectations here BTW, not me railing at Bethesda for something they haven't even done yet.

Steroyd

I'll just assume that everyone complaining pays for PS+ month per month, and only after the games for the month have been announced. Because there's no way you paid for entire year without knowing what games it includes.

But I know I'm getting 2 PS4, 2 PS3 and 2 PSV games per month for a whole year, a closer example would be subscribing to EA access for the games that may come whenever EA feels like it.

My issue with how this season pass was announced is wondering why they couldn't just announce it closer to when the DLC is actually going to be released if they have absolutely no idea what they're going to do.

Whether this is just an incredibly boneheaded PR move or something genuinely evil depends on whether they provide more (uh, any) information about the contents of the season pass before it's put up for sale, but some of the sentiments this has dredged up are really ugly. I'd hope that even people who loved what Bethesda's put out previously would be discerning enough to see how buying something sight unseen puts them in a really bad position and potentially sets nasty precedents.

Saying “just wait until the season pass content is out and judge it to see if the pass is worth it” is really weak. If that's the ideal, why does the season pass exist in the first place? Why isn't there simply a discount for buying the game's DLC in bulk post-release if that's what the season pass is meant to allow? It's because that's not what it's meant to allow. The fact that it does is just a side benefit to publishers, the primary goal is to get more money up front. Saying that you can use a season pass in this way isn't actually a defense of the season pass at all, it's a deflection.

“At least they're honest” is also some bad reasoning. Yes, this statement is remarkably honest, but it's honesty born of practices that are quite frankly bullshit. They're not saying this for your benefit, as Nirolak pointed out perfectly all the way back in post 179. It's just a sweetener, though a really poorly chosen one. This isn't the kind of honesty we should be applauding.

Regardless, please don't buy sight unseen, even from developers you love. I know this will sound sanctimonious, but a 25% discount isn't worth your dignity. Really. I hope Bethesda recovers from this bizarre bit of business.

Morokh

First start by convincing me that the game will actually be something more than a glorified new framework for awesome mods, and then we'll eventually talk about DLC.

Cause frankly we're not even there yet.

CloudWolf

Joke post? Are you really talking about Obs "just ship it unfinished, fan mods will take care of it" Idian?
You should really read some articles on the company because this isn't even close to the reality. They have been very, very unlucky with almost all of their games resulting in buggy releases. For instance, for KOTOR 2 (the only game of theirs that needs a fanmod to be enjoyed properly) had the release date pushed forward by almost half a year and when they wanted to add that stuff through a patch, they weren't allowed by Lucasarts.

Trace

Banned
Buying it as soon as I have the option to.

The DLC for FO3 and FNV was godlike. (Yes I realize FNV was Obsidian)

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. What's a sweet spot here?

I've seen people complain developers revealing Season Pass when the game is not even fully revealed or announced.

I've seen people complain developers make these DLC alongside the game and charge you money for it as if it's been done later on, like it's a locked content, in disc or downloaded later.

And now I'm seeing people complain that developers don't know what the DLC is going to be but want you to know that Season Pass exists.

Something, something Naughty Dog greed..

There's no winning:

Bang on the money. Devs are in a catch-22 with DLC announcements a lot of the time.

My simple rationale, just wait to find out what the DLC is in a couple months or weeks and don't get into too much of a tizzy.

If that fails then maybe just
AUGMENT YOUR PRE-ORDER!

Steroyd

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. What's a sweet spot here?

Announce the season pass closer to the release of the first DLC.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of the overall practice of season passes but holy crap at least don't give off the perception of sleaziness before the main game comes out.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Literally all they said was:
"We plan on making at least $40 worth of DLC. We will be offering a season pass."

That's it. They have not asked for money, did not ask you to buy blindly.

What's everyone upset about?

Most people on GAF just read the thread titles and then reply.

Witcher 3

People on GAF were shitting on them for both having paid DLC and for announcing it 'early'.

Fractal

Banned
I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with people raising an eyebrow at this. I mean, they're announcing a pricepoint when they don't even know what the content will be? I can see why some would think that this doesn't make for the best PR. At a bare minimum, I think the announcement should come with some sort of road plan now and a more solid game plan for when the pass actually goes on sale.

I just also think that perhaps people are just too trained to be cynical about any and all PR that doesn't sound the most consumer friendly that they sometimes resort to kneejerk hyperbole too quickly. Post release content is the norm. This is the world we live in. And I'm sure the devs were pressured from retailers and publishers alike to already be ready to announce their strategy before it's really finalized. I get why this seems like a silly PR thing to do. But I also understand why it's being done.

I mean, obviously, there's going to be DLC. It'll probably be similar to the framework already laid by previous Bethesda titles. If you're a huge Elder Scrolls/Fallout fan, the notion of purchasing DLC might very well be a no-brainer. I think we all have franchises that are near and dear to us where we just trust that we're going to want everything the game has to offer. Whether Bethesda and Fallout fit that bill for you or not is for you to decide.

Me? I'm certainly not putting down money sight unseen for the promise of more content. But then again I'm not big into pre-ordering. I'm also not big into Kickstarter. But others are. And that's fine. I don't think there's anything to get worked up about here. I'm not sold on the vague promise of DLC they promise will be worth it, so I'll hold on to my money for now. I'm sure that many are like me. But I don't feel like there's any pressure to make a final decision now either. So, it doesn't bother me that they have formulated a strategy.

That still doesn't mean I think this is the best way to handle it. I just also don't ultimately think it's that big of a deal. It's your money, do what you want with it. After all, these are just video games.
I like the grounded and reasonable attitude of this post. I agree... while the whole thing may be a bit questionable, ultimately there's no reason for outrage. The Season Pass isn't even on sale yet, and even if it shows up with no info, you can always wait a little for more to be announced before making a decision. As you said, there's no pressure, it's not like they're giving some sort of a bonus if you give them your money right now on faith alone.

nOoblet16

A quick question.
They have named the price and that seems to be what irks people.....but then again, it's not up for sale.

What if they do end up giving details on what it would be (even if vague description...which would be similar to like every other game with season pass) when it actually gets sold?

What if?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm fine with this... $30 is pretty good for every expansion that will come out, ever.

Same type of deal as TW3's DLC plan, sounds sweet.

It's totally a great idea to pay a bunch of money for something you know nothing about. It's Bethesda so you know the DLCs will probably not be great, it's like Bethesda can't or simply won't hire good writers.

Top Bottom