• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I found someone doing this my Niece or GodDaughter, I wouldn't have wanted to kill him but I would beat him until someone restrained me and he would probably have died.

Also, insane rage? I'd say wanting a child molester dead is perfectly sane rage. Violence is sometimes the answer. Worked out great in this case!

Call me crazy but I think it's perfectly logical and rational to beat someone to death when you catch them in the middle of sexually assaulting your 4 year old child.

I'm with you I'm just saying people always act like GAF is bloodthirsty knowing the topic at hand is one that tends to provoke that kind of response from people.

Dude Abides

Banned
I think if such a case ever went to a trial, the jury would feel like his actions were reasonably necessary, emphasis on "reasonable." That is, he would be found innocent because the jurors would view it as justifiable homicide rather than manslaughter.

As far as it being "necessary" it probably wasn't. There are other possible ways to stop sexual abuse. However, are you going to stop and think about those possibilities at a time like that or are you just going to act? If not, then it's probably not reasonable to expect that someone use one of those methods. Also, if he thought his child's life was in danger (which many might find to be a reasonable assumption in such a situation), that could make the use of lethal force more acceptable, especially in a place like Texas.

Yes, a jury would probably stretch to find this justifiable because he's so sympathetic and the dead guy so deplorable. But strictly as a legal matter he only had the right to use enough force necessary to stop the molestation, he didn't have the right to, say, keep punching the guy over and over after the assault had stopped.

I'm with you I'm just saying people always act like GAF is bloodthirsty knowing the topic at hand is one that tends to provoke that kind of response from people.

Agreed. I mean killing anyone regardless of the circumstances is going to change you. It's going to have an affect. Life isn't Call of Duty. There won't be any high fives at this mans house. His child has been sexually assaulted. The damage has been done :(

He did what he felt he had to do in that moment and I'm pretty sure any father would feel the same with their kin.

Yes, a jury would probably stretch to find this justifiable because he's so sympathetic and the dead guy so deplorable. But strictly as a legal matter he only had the right to use enough force necessary to stop the molestation, he didn't have the right to, say, keep punching the guy over and over after the assault had stopped.

I disagree that it'd be a stretch. I doubt they're going to indict at all. But that's the wonderful thing about a jury I don't give a fig what the books say. You punch a guy to death after you catch him molesting your child, I'm voting "Not Guilty". Pretty sure most jurors would too.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Agreed. I mean killing anyone regardless of the circumstances is going to change you. It's going to have an affect. Life isn't Call of Duty. There won't be any high fives at this mans house. His child has been sexually assaulted. The damage has been done :(

He did what he felt he had to do in that moment and I'm pretty sure any father would feel the same with their kin.

That's also not necessarily true. Not everybody values human life to the extent that this would bother them one bit. Life isn't Call of Duty, but it also isn't a Showtime Original Movie.

What do you honestly expect from people on a forum in a story about a 4 year old being molested? Cool heads? Extreme logic or rational thoughts? It's a disgusting occurance that infuriates people. There is always a handful of posters I know will come into threads like this with an unpopular opinion and act shocked at something that is simply so easy to understand. Stuff like this pisses people off and they say things on par with their emotions.
This wouldn't be a problem if GAF weren't so quick to want people dead. Guy is scum and this death is completely justifiable and understandable, but GAF just likes so much to call anyone who doesn't think that mutilation and torture and shit like that should be aplied a Defense Force. And don't even think about arguing this because someone who said he would have been more comfortable with the dude left unconscious and arrested was quoted multiple times as Defense Force and how he didn't understand shit because blahblahblah. Naive attitude and taking this case in a vacuum? Sure, but a good part of the forum acts like anyone not wanting to see him eating his own testicles is a member of the Defense Force.

I won't be arguing more because this will probably be twisted somehow, I've seen enough of these threads and I agree with the majority that this story ended relatively well, all things considered, and that this father did what any sensible human being would have done in his situation.

abrack08

Can't say I blame him... While I definitely wouldn't want to kill someone, I would worry about what would happen if I didn't. What if the "abuse" had just started? Maybe there wouldn't be enough evidence besides my testimony against the guy. Maybe he doesn't get convicted, maybe he walks and then sues or brings charges against you for beating his ass (but not killing him).

This wouldn't be a problem if GAF weren't so quick to want people dead. Guy is scum and this death is completely justifiable and understandable, but GAF just likes so much to call anyone who doesn't think that mutilation and torture and shit like that should be aplied a Defense Force. And don't even think about arguing this because someone who said he would have been more comfortable with the dude left unconscious and arrested was quoted multiple times as Defense Force and how he didn't understand shit because blahblahblah. Naive attitude and taking this case in a vacuum? Sure, but a good part of the forum acts like anyone not wanting to see him eating his own testicles is a member of the Defense Force.

I won't be arguing more because this will probably be twisted somehow, I've seen enough of these threads and I agree with the majority that this story ended relatively well, all things considered, and that this father did what any sensible human being would have done in his situation.

Not making an argument I just don't find this kind of outcry unexpected nor deplorable on these types of threads(which there are many). Guess I'm used to people.

That's also not necessarily true. Not everybody values human life to the extent that this would bother them one bit. Life isn't Call of Duty, but it also isn't a Showtime Original Movie.

Of course. There are some -truly- detached people. I mean truly disturbed people. Not the wanna-be "above it all" internet dweller that saw some snuff videos on liveleak and think they know how the world works. But I'd say the overwhelming majority would indeed be affected by taking a life.

My four year old son is the world to me. If I ever lost him, I wouldn't be able to live one day after he was gone - I'd probably do myself in either to make sure I was able to find him and take care of him on the "Other side" or just to calm the pain I would live with for the rest of my life.

I can't even think for a second what type of rage I would feel if someone were to hurt or violate my kid. And killing a human being, even a vile humanity-less creature, not only would hurt me, but I'd be double hurt to have done it in front of my kid. Not only did he already lose his innocence because of this vampire, but I helped him lose even more by watching a human die in front of him. Long before he learned the concept of "revenge", he would have years of therapy already - only until those years were over would he understand and/or forgive me for what I did. And then there's me, less important, but knowing I took a life would be hard.

I watched my mentally, physically, and sexually abusive stepfather die of the cancer that was eating away his brain and stomach. I literally watched his last breaths and despite the years of pain and the fact that I'll never be a normal human because of him, I still felt like someone should do something and bring him back. I couldn't bear to see even a piece of fucking shit die right in front of me.

So I don't know, that's where I'm at thinking about this.

I feel you. In truth, its a horribly traumatic experience for all involved. I have no desire to kill anyone nor for my child to see me do so.

That said, I have the most profound contempt for child offenders. I'm personally beyond the point of any empathy for these predatory sub-humans. So a story like this, where a monster gets his just desserts, I want to find the dad and buy him a beer.

Dude Abides

Banned
I disagree that it'd be a stretch. I doubt they're going to indict at all. But that's the wonderful thing about a jury I don't give a fig what the books say. You punch a guy to death after you catch him molesting your child, I'm voting "Not Guilty". Pretty sure most jurors would too.

It would be a stretch. As I mentioned, they aren't likely to indict because, as your post indicates, a jury is unlikely to care about the law in a case like this.

WanderingWind

Of course. There are some -truly- detached people. I mean truly disturbed people. Not the wanna-be "above it all" internet dweller that saw some snuff videos on liveleak and think they know how the world works. But I'd say the overwhelming majority would indeed be affected by taking a life.

I think the difference between getting in a car wreck and killing somebody that way and the difference between what this guy did would matter quite a bit on how you handle death, and it has nothing to do with being disturbed. I mean, sure, in a nebulous "every day you change a little bit" way, you can say everybody would be affected by this incident solely because it's likely a highly unusual occurrence.

But, yeah. Not everybody would really be too affected by doing what this guy did. Some would, sure. But I'd be willing to bet cash money that he'll be far more disturbed by the fact that his daughter was being molested. Not that he put an end to it by killing the guy.

I think the difference between getting in a car wreck and killing somebody that way and the difference between what this guy did would matter quite a bit on how you handle death, and it has nothing to do with being disturbed. I mean, sure, in a nebulous "every day you change a little bit" way, you can say everybody would be affected by this incident solely because it's likely a highly unusual occurrence.

But, yeah. Not everybody would really be too affected by doing what this guy did. Some would, sure. But I'd be willing to bet cash money that he'll be far more disturbed by the fact that his daughter was being molested. Not that he put an end to it by killing the guy.

I wasn't talking about a car wreck. Heh. I mean beating,stabbing,shooting someone to death in a similar situation.

Like I said. No, not everyone. But the overwhelming majority would be. There's no shame in that. It is what it is.

Feel so badly for the father. The killing WAS justified, but his life is completely shattered. One of the fears I've always had is being unable to protect my future children, and now his daughter is a rape victim and he has blood on his hands.

What a horrible situation.

goldenpp72

I'm proud that there are only a few people in this topic that I hope never have children. Guy was totally in the right if the story is as stated, seriously, I can't imagine what I would do if I caught someone molesting any kid, let alone one that was mine.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm not so sure. As mad as he was, he probably didn't mean to kill anyone. Now he has to live with that, even if he isn't charged.

Justified in beating the shit out of the guy? Yeah. Killing him? Not really.

For me its a question of action-in-the-moment. Would I rather that the abuser lived so he could face trial of some kind? Yes, I think death generally a waste. Am I too torn up that the father killed him given the circumstances? No. If the father had hunted him down years after the fact and killed him in his residence then we'd be having a different conversation.

For me its a question of action-in-the-moment. Would I rather that the abuser lived so he could face trial of some kind? Yes, I think death generally a waste. Am I too torn up that the father killed him given the circumstances? No. If the father had hunted him down years after the fact and killed him in his residence then we'd be having a different conversation.

I think we're in agreement.

akira28

never mind. ignore everything.

it really depends dude. Really depends. Definitely a different issue. If the prosecutor wasn't sympathetic at all, and a letter of the law kind of person, yeah I could see it happening. No jury would convict him, but I could see him being arrested and held during investigation.

I might have snapped and killed the man outright. I don't think anyone wants to kill someone in front of their daughter. It sort of makes everything worse.

Averon

Justified killing. Walking into a scene like that, you're not thinking straight--and you shouldn't. Your daughter is in grave danger, and the only thing racing in your head is getting her safety. If that means beating a guy to death, so be it. You touch my 4 year old daughter, you die. At the very least your ass won't be walking again.

Also, I don't buy that "revenge killing" argument. He saw this happening to his daughter at that very moment; he didn't kill him weeks, months, or years after the event. Logical clear thinking isn't factor here. He did what he thought was necessary to get his daughter to safety as soon as possible.

cashman

Banned
I'm not so sure. As mad as he was, he probably didn't mean to kill anyone. Now he has to live with that, even if he isn't charged.

Justified in beating the shit out of the guy? Yeah. Killing him? Not really.

I look at it like he killed the guy as a result of beating the shit out of him. In other words, his intent was beating the shit out of him and not killing him, and it should be treated as such legally.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Yup, would have most likely done the same...

did anyone else witness this act?

WARP10CK

Banned
No jury is gonna convict him, I suspect he will probably get limited sentence at most.
And for the record if I was him I would have done the same thing.

WARCOCK

Banned
Well, time to justify my pedophilic tendencies. Father deserves to go to jail for a short period of time to mull on the fact that he just murdered a human being imo. Emotional outbursts that cause someone to murder someone else for seemingly justifiable reasons occur, i'm not sure why they should be morally acceptable if the other person wasn't posing a direct immediate threat to his life or his daughters.

WanderingWind

Well, time to justify my pedophilic tendencies. Father deserves to go to jail for a short period of time to mull on the fact that he just murdered a human being imo. Emotional outbursts that cause someone to murder someone else for seemingly justifiable reasons occur, i'm not sure why they should be morally acceptable if the other person wasn't posing a direct immediate threat to his life or his daughters.

...what do you think molesting means, smart one?

Derrick01

Banned
I'm ok with it too. The only bad thing is he probably didn't feel much pain if he was finished off that easily. People who do shit that vile deserves to feel some pain before their death.

Much depends on how it went down. No way he will be convicted or even charged, but the details really will show if it was defense or just rage and bloodlust.

Did the dad run up, hit the guy with a combo, maybe some three's and four's, and the guy was KO'ed, dropped and snap his head of the ground? In a scenario like that, it was defense, the dad used some force until the threat was removed/stopped, and then ceased his attack.

If, on the other hand, he knocked the guy down and then got on top and beat him over and over again, yeah, he was in a rage and just wanting to hurt the guy. Can't claim defense when a man is incapacitated and you keep smashing their head with your hands.

Either way it's no problem, and it could easily be argued that the mental strain of seeing his daughter abused so vilely caused him to snap.

I think some of the smug contrarians in this thread were, in a roundabout way, trying to get at this distinction, but kept their words and goals vague, in a necessary move to incite anger in others, in order to keep their self righteous satisfaction.

I don't think the man should go to jail for that kill, however I also don't think it should be celebrated like some people here seem to be doing.

I don't think the man should go to jail for that kill, however I also don't think it should be celebrated like some people here seem to be doing.

I don't think anyone is celebrating. I just think it's human nature to desire to see a bad person get his just deserts. In the end this is a tragedy. This girl was sexually assaulted. The perp being dead doesn't change that fact.

Diablos54

I'm_OK_With_This-(n1296497202304).png

bryehn

I'd do the same thing, though frankly I may not be able to control my rage and kill the creep "on purpose" in a fit of it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Some mentally stunted sons of bitches up in this thread. There truly is a defense force for every fucking thing in this forum.

Father was 100% in the right, there's nothign else to say.

I'm pretty shocked right now. I can't believe what is going on in this thread. I didn't even want to bother continuing with nvidia_whore... What disgusting people some of you are. Truly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom