• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

Byvar

Fair enough. But they also call him highness every now and then, mostly in jest. Changing "your highness" to "Noct" won't make a difference if they keep stuff like "I'm loathe to put you in harms way", and people were celebrating just because he said "Noct" in the 50 minute video. In the very same video you have Gladio calling him Highness, this doesn't mean anything.
Exactly, and all this wasn't present in Japanese, at least not as pronounced. The translator literally turned him into a stereotypical butler and after people complained about the "Highness" thing, he was simply told to replace everything with "Noct" rather than change the feeling of his character to match the creators' intentions more closely.

I wouldn't be surprised if the translator for FFXV is the same as Type-0's.

Nah, I'd argue that instead of 'wait' mode, the game actually really use a manual/critical mode that turns off all the holding button nonsense, amp up the responsiveness of input, improve enemy A.I which requires more tactical thinking and reflex in battles, and so on. They went the wrong direction for me.
Agreed, and they have been going in this direction since Tabata took over, with enemies not telegraphing their attacks properly and the team preferring Noctis's smooth animations over responsiveness of input. Wait mode is there because people felt the combat was too difficult, but people only found it too difficult because it isn't responsive and enemy attacks come out of nowhere.

Tyaren

Weren't there rumors that Sony is really pressing them hard to have this game as a Neo showcase?

Lol, there weren't. That's more a wishful dream of all the people calling out for savior Neo in each FFXV thread.
The only thing we ever oficially heard about a Neo version of FFXV was Tabata saying there are actually no set plans so far. That was a few weeks ago.

3 points y'all.

1) Car concerns galore I see. Yea the car blows, no thoughts there. But, you guys are all acting like we didn't get a chocobo trailer that showed how deeply involved they are in this game for off-road traversal so y'all need to chill. Car shenanigans in the beginning>Chocobo usage for all of the middle> Airship flying for endgame is how I'm seeing it atm.

2) It really does blow that Monster hunting is regulated like that. But I would imagine this is a limitation on the system. I'm thinking that if u accepted all the hunts at once, their system wouldn't be able to handle so many unique enemies at once in pre-determined locations or what have you. Ofc I could be wrong and they are just fucking this up but I couldn't see why else they would limit this

3) Okay so Cindey is being objectified, same way Megan Fox was in Transformers (1 more specifically). However, it is also a fair point to mention Gladiolus under the same light as well. At least his script isn't as obnoxious as Snow's atm, but yea let's call a spade a spade here everyone

Mik317

why does everyone focus on the negatives? Yeah the game looks rough (I wouldn't call it ugly but whatever...) but ideally that is why it was delayed, no?

It seems like the gameplay is solid, the story isn't ass out the gate (tolerance of some chesse dialog withstanding)...and most of all dude said it was fun.

and yet much of this thread (and the other one) is all doom and gloom with "welp not gonna buy it now" or "ill wait for it to be 20 bucks" or my favorite "I'll wait until 2018 for the PC port".

Its like people are simply looking for confirmation of what they already made up their minds about.

you know for all the talk of how people don't want this place to be an echo chamber.....

Sigh... So it's an action RPG with bad combat and bad characters. Oh and bad performance.

This is not gonna review well, and I think it's gonna be one of the worst selling mainline FFs in quite a long time. Will be interesting to see what this does to SE as a company.

Koozek

Exactly, and all this wasn't present in Japanese, at least not as pronounced. The translator literally turned him into a stereotypical butler and after people complained about the "Highness" thing, he was simply told to replace everything with "Noct" rather than change the feeling of his character to match the creators' intentions more closely.

I wouldn't be surprised if the translator for FFXV is the same as Type-0's.
Dan Inoue (writer on Kingsglaive also):

Writer (5 credits)
  • 2008 Varukirî purofairu: Toga o seou mono (Video Game) (translator)
  • 2008 Songu samanâ: Utawarenu senshi no senritsu (Video Game) (translator)
  • 2007 Fainaru fantajî XII: Revananto uingu (Video Game) (translator)
  • 2006 Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (Video Game) (translator)
  • 1995 Doragon kuesuto VI: Maboroshi no daichi (Video Game) (english translations)

Miscellaneous Crew (4 credits)
  • 2015 Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (Video Game) (translation supervisor: localization division, original staff)
  • 2012 Fainaru fantajî XIV: Shinsei eoruzea (Video Game) (English translation & localization: localization division)
  • 2009 Teguzâ neo (Video Game) (English translator: Square Enix Co. Ltd.)
  • 2008 The Last Remnant (Video Game) (English translator: localization)

Source: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3569208/

brad-t

why does everyone focus on the negatives? Yeah the game looks rough (I wouldn't call it ugly but whatever...) but ideally that is why it was delayed, no?

It seems like the gameplay is solid, the story isn't ass out the gate (tolerance of some chesse dialog withstanding)...and most of all dude said it was fun.

and yet much of this thread (and the other one) is all doom and gloom with "welp not gonna buy it now" or "ill wait for it to be 20 bucks" or my favorite "I'll wait until 2018 for the PC port".

Its like people are simply looking for confirmation of what they already made up their minds about.

you know for all the talk of how people don't want this place to be an echo chamber.....

I've only ever seen you post in threads to complain when other people are complaining about this game.

Is it that hard to imagine that after waiting for so long, some fans are pretty exasperated at the state of the game? I went to Sony's E3 experience just in the hopes of a new trailer. (And, well, I got it ...) I was planning to buy a PS4 just to play this. Not anymore.

Nobody's stopping you from paying full price on day 1 and loving every second of it.

Dark_castle

When there's smoke, there's fire. People won't focus on the negatives (that much) if the overall game gives off a positive aura. Games like Persona 5 for example.

artsi

I don't think they have time to make and QA a competent version for Neo. XV will be no show at Sony Event or they'll mention it but not show it. I expect minor changes for Neo but the game should be 1080p and 30FPS locked.

They might have that already (at least for demo purposes).

And before anyone quotes Tabata about Neo version, remember that he's most likely bound by NDA as Neo isn't officially announced yet.

Mik317

I've only ever seen you post in threads to complain when other people are complaining about this game.

Is it that hard to imagine that after waiting for so long, some fans are pretty exasperated at the state of the game? I went to Sony's E3 experience just in the hopes of a new trailer. (And, well, I got it ...) I was planning to buy a PS4 just to play this. Not anymore.

Nobody's stopping you from paying full price on day 1 and loving every second of it.

fair enough.

Its just that everytime I go to see whats new, I am met with the same negativity all the damn time.

again I am not god or supreme ruler of gaf so fuck me right? Its just gets old, y'now. I joined gaf to talk about the good parts of games and enjoy them with others...and it has been very difficult to do so lately. Not just this game...but legit damn near every game I have tried to enjoy around here is the focus of some type of witch hunt (perhaps I am bad luck lol) and it just tanks my enjoyment a little is all.

but you are right...perhaps I am the minority in this case.

carry on.

Yikes, the environments look like a blurry, muddy mess. It's funny because the car looks much better, as if both were from a different gen.

Z3M0G

Most likely talking about the wait mode.

Tell me more

Edit:
They mean the "Wait Mode":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YxUeraE_c8#t=150

It was used here in the 50min footage for example:
https://youtu.be/E9HQbSTxvXI?t=40m12s

Thanks!

Edit: Definitely not a "turn based" mode... since it does not appear the game will trigger the "wait" on its own after each action. Instead it appears to be just something you can trigger when you desire.

RedZaraki

Banned
fair enough.

Its just that everytime I go to see whats new, I am met with the same negativity all the damn time.

again I am not god or supreme ruler of gaf so fuck me right? Its just gets old, y'now. I joined gaf to talk about the good parts of games and enjoy them with others...and it has been very difficult to do so lately. Not just this game...but legit damn near every game I have tried to enjoy around here is the focus of some type of witch hunt (perhaps I am bad luck lol) and it just tanks my enjoyment a little is all.

carry on.

I want this game to be great. It's not living up to expectations. Do they update and patch it consistently? Release full "improved" versions for Neo and PC? What?

I want the best version of the game I can get. If this is the end of the game's progression, then it's a big disappointment.

Being upset is a way of showing you care. If I didn't care about this game at all I wouldn't even be reading about it.

Voror

When there's smoke, there's fire. People won't focus on the negatives (that much) if the overall game gives off a positive aura. Games like Persona 5 for example.

Good point along with this game in it's various forms having a troubled history as well as SE's current reputation with Final Fantasy and their development process. Even XIV isn't an exception I think as while they've done a great job getting that working, the fact remains it was an utter disaster at launch by all accounts.

Atlus may have taken a while, but I don't generally think there's been much doubt Persona 5 is going to be a solid game.

Add on top that there are aspects to FFXV that are likely going to remain irritating such as the car mechanics and the only hope is that the rest of the game is able to rise above these issues. Some are less inclined to be hopeful or forgiving to SE after how much trouble they've seemed to have with the franchise since we moved to PS3 and onwards.

I honestly don't think anyone wants this game to be bad. It's only a good thing if it ends up great.

Ralemont

not me
Being upset is a way of showing you care. If I didn't care about this game at all I wouldn't even be reading about it.

This isn't targeted towards you specifically, but I actually think a great many people comment on games they don't particularly care about so they can be critical. It's how drive-bys happen.

Anyway, I think if the constant negativity towards games in general (and it is there, just look at the front page of GAF every day) bothers someone, they are better off avoiding online discussions than expecting that to change.

Atlus may have taken a while, but I don't generally think there's been much doubt Persona 5 is going to be a solid game.

Persona 5 has been stewing for far less time in the public's eye and has done a great job of marketing. I suppose that's why few people are discussing the likelihood of the combat being mediocre at best like previous Persona games, or why people aren't spending 100 pages pointing out the sexualization of the female characters in that game.

StereoVsn

1. I think that the car issues are a non-issue. This is not a driving game or GTA. There are chocobos for off roading and air travel later on.
2. Combat is a big question mark. I really wish they jaunt went with ATB combat of some sort instead of this mosh mash.
3. Story seems alright overall but I worry about English translation/localization. At least Japanese VAs are available so between that and English subs it's probably going to be a better experience (still sucks they don't sub battle voice/text).
4. Cindy/Cidney controversy. It is one character. Yes, design could have been better but again, just one char out of entire game, so meh.
5. Visuals/Framerates/Loading/Technical details - I am hoping things are improved and then patched up even more afterwards. Hopefully NEO mode will help as well (they have to implement NEO mode considering release date).

So we shall see what happens, but I feel it's worth $40 risk (BestBuy).

rhandino

Banned
A lot of the things that are worrying me are things that they are most likely not going to address in a patch (like only being able to have 1 hunt active or the driving mechanics being boring and terrible) and games are very expensive things in my country (around 70-80 bucks for new release) so even if I am a big fan of the franchise I am not that willing to throw that much money if I will get constantly annoyed instead of having fun

I mean, I could play other more fun and interesting games and get this one for cheap down the line.

EDIT: Also there is the thing about S-E being kind of a mess with the marketing for this game that most of the time instead of only focusing on how cool something is they casually show some messy bit that tend to drown the discussion towards that part.

JBwB

why does everyone focus on the negatives?

They're just extremely passionate about this game because they've been waiting a long time for it. Everything about the game is being looked under a microscope because they want it to be great.

Yes, it can be really disheartening to see all the negativity but hey. If you've personally liked what you've seen so far then who cares what they say right?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That may be true.

I also happen to think this is a pretty abused fanbase compared to the average game. We have sky high expectations while simultaneously being incredibly pessimistic. FF's last decade is to blame.

KupoNut

To be fair, what are Persona 5's negatives?

WRPG gamers would say it has a weird art direction but really good UI design, a repetitive turn-based battle system and no level-scaling which is essentially lazy game design, little to do outside of the main story/social links and "weird" Japanese dialogue/culture.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Number one reason is still what they're coming off of.
Persona 5 is following 4 and 3.
Whereas FF15 is following up on Lightning(and for Tabata specifically Type 0). How are people not understanding that that's a huge part where the skepticism comes from.
A lot of games get the benefit of the doubt but if you lose that you gotta earn it back first.

Byvar

Dan Inoue (writer on Kingsglaive also):

Miscellaneous Crew (4 credits)
  • 2015 Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (Video Game) (translation supervisor: localization division, original staff)
  • 2012 Fainaru fantajî XIV: Shinsei eoruzea (Video Game) (English translation & localization: localization division)

Source: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3569208/
Thanks, I knew about Kingsglaive but I didn't know he was in charge of the game's localization as well. I haven't played any of the other games on that list but having the translation supervisor from Type-0 as the localization lead for FFXV isn't a very good thing. :(
It looks like he might also have been responsible for the translation of A Realm Reborn (before patches), which was just as bad. How was he even allowed to localize a high-profile game like XV? :/

Jarlaxle

Still very excited and can't wait to play. The gameplay being fun sounds good and I hope it holds true.

I have no issues whatsoever with the graphics and cheesy lines/dialogue don't really bother me too much either. I'm happy that I'm apparently easy to please.

Can't wait for the end of November.

Koozek

Sigh... So it's an action RPG with bad combat and bad characters. Oh and bad performance.

This is not gonna review well, and I think it's gonna be one of the worst selling mainline FFs in quite a long time. Will be interesting to see what this does to SE as a company.
Eh, it won't be the end of FF like many expect. They'll have a good foundation after FFXV with Tabata having heavily shaken up the team structures and work culture (of course Yoshida did that too before with ARR). This is SE's first modern, open-world, AAA FF - they learned a lot and can use the experience and feedback of FFXV. Also there are several FFVIIR parts on the horizon even if they took a break from new mainline titles (which I doubt, as I'm pretty sure FFXVI is already in at least pre-production for 2-3 years or so).

GameSpot:
In previous interviews you've said this game is a make-or-break moment for Final Fantasy franchise. Now that you're essentially finished, is it a make or a break? Where do you see Final Fantasy in five or 10 years time?

Tabata:
I don't think whether Final Fantasy XV does well or not will kill the franchise or keep it living. I don't think it's really going to mean that. But certainly there are a number of things already clear that Final Fantasy XV will bring to the future of the franchise. To give you a few examples of that, first of all the fact that we're bring it out as a global simultaneous launch. I think in the future that will really be what Final Fantasy does. Secondly is the number of languages and regions that the game is localised for, we should carry on doing that. Then of course the technology used to power Final Fantasy XV means that we can depict and create game experiences that the series just couldn't have done before. I think that's going to shape the future of the Final Fantasy series.​

Necron

Thank you for the impressions. It's all looking like it's going to end in a big disappointment. However, it's what I kind of expected at this point to be honest. The pressure on Tabata and the team at Square must be huge. I'll still buy it at launch out of sheer curiosity and as a fan of the series, despite hating some of the past efforts (i.e. FF XIII and its horrible sequels). Still, I hope for the best with this game and I'm sure the delay was necessary. If nothing else, the developer have always been honest and upfront during the development cycle. I regard that highly and I hope more developers do the same.

I know people are probably tired of the comparison, but Witcher 3 set the bar for RPGs for me. FF XV probably won't live up to the hype. I just hope it doesn't end up being a train wreck :(

If so, only Persona 5 can save the jrpg genre now.

Ray Down

Banned
I know people are probably tired of the comparison, but Witcher 3 set the bar for RPGs for me. FF XV probably won't live up to the hype. I just hope it doesn't end up being a train wreck :(

I doubt P5 is big enough too do have any effect on the JRPG genre, this also forgets that Pokemon is a JRPG and bigger than both.

BumRush

The visuals are definitely a problem for me however, if no great changes are made between now and release I'll be holding off for a Neo/PC version.

Awesome write-up man.

I'm in the same boat as you here. Knowing that there almost has to be a Neo version, I'm probably going to wait for that. The graphical differences should be sizeable.

Dark_castle

There's Dragon Quest XI, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy VII Remake too, all 3 of which I have much more faith in turning out good. I suppose there's World of Final Fantasy too, which seems pretty promising. And Nier Automata, which is almost a JRPG. And Ni No Kuni 2.

The genre is in a good place. Even if XV ended up sucking, it's going to be fine. Square Enix seems to be fairly stable financially too, thanks to the mobile output and XIV, so in an event that XV tanked in sales, I think they can still recover.

LowParry

I like these impressions. It gives a sort of staple on what we're seeing now and with the fixes later, how the product will turn out. I still won't be surprised if they end up delaying the game again but it is what it is. Ah to think we were going to be getting this game in just a little over a month from now. :/

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Graphics and Performance
  • Loading times varied from standard fare for an open world game on PS4, to between 1-2 minutes. These longer ones seemed to only happen between chapters, and when loading the game up from scratch.
  • After around 2 hours and 40 minutes the game crashed. Just the one and only back to the dashboard.
  • The game does not look good. I was sitting fairly close to a pretty big TV, but even forgetting that there's intense shadow dithering, aliasing to the high heavens (you've all seen the hair), texture and vegetation pop-in and on top of that the frame rate was incredibly inconsistent. I kinda just got used to the combat being a bit of a mess visually. It was often hard to tell what in the hell was happening.
  • Moving the camera around somehow makes things worse.
  • It's perhaps not the best way to explain this due to the size of this shot but I'd like to draw your attention to the shrubs in the upper left corner of this screen. When blown up to a decently sized TV, even at this close distance, those shrubs looked like sprites from Minecraft/Stardew Valley, and I swear I'm not being hyperbolic.
  • Also I tried driving in 1st person and there was some bug (I can only assume) where everything looked pixellated and low-res when looking through the windscreen. Needless to say I refrained from using 1st person after that.
Final-Fantasy-XV-Gamescom-19-1280x720.jpg

I had fun despite all its flaws. I would like to take my time to get to grips with the combat, weapons and magic, all of which were pretty confusing. The outset of the story is fairly traditional, but the roadtrip with your buddies spin is quite unique and did interest me. I could tell from the subtitles that the writing would be more of a problem if I could hear it in poor English voice acting.

While at times it felt like wading through mud, it also managed to capture the sense of new adventures and camaraderie. Going on a journey with friends. This is something sorely missing from a lot of grand RPGs these days, so I'm intrigued as to where that leads within the game itself. The visuals are definitely a problem for me however, if no great changes are made between now and release I'll be holding off for a Neo/PC version.
RMSEkDL.gif

A screenshot from the gamersyde 8gb vid:

ZX60zYP.jpg

A bush not too far from our heroes:
fNSqeQn.jpg

Xenogears:
ZhWot9G.jpg
tumblr_nmsf43ikYV1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Ishida

Banned
fair enough.

carry on.

Hey man, don't worry. Check out this thread. The Gamescom playthrough has overwhelmingly positive impressions.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1264329

I've checked out all the available impressions I could find. The vast majority are very positive. I found 2 or 3 that are "it's entertaining, but has lots of issues", and just 1 which is completely negative.

That says a lot. :)

DoomGaze

Banned
Maybe I'm an idiot but based on the demo this looks like one of the prettiest games I've seen on consoles period.

I'm being serious here- can someone help me understand why the visuals are being criticized?

Voror

There's Dragon Quest XI, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy VII Remake too, all 3 of which I have much more faith in turning out good. I suppose there's World of Final Fantasy too, which seems pretty promising. And Nier Automata, which is almost a JRPG. And Ni No Kuni 2.

The genre is in a good place. Even if XV ended up sucking, it's going to be fine. Square Enix seems to be fairly stable financially too, thanks to the mobile output and XIV, so in an event that XV tanked in sales, I think they can still recover.

This is true. Those don't have the same history as XV along with the latter two not being burdened with Luminous. WoFF does look like a promising old school style FF and Nier is indeed looking real good thus far. I actually keep forgetting about NNK2 since we haven't heard anything about that game since the announcement trailer.

And one could imagine that XVI won't necessarily have the same burden and if it uses UE4 then SE will have had two games done with experience in it, which should hopefully allow smoother development.

I confess I'm intensely curious what XVI will end up being though I doubt it could be in anything but extremely early production if that.

RedZaraki

Banned
Found this on GameFAQs:

"Why does NeoGAF hate Final Fantasy XV?"

"It is because of a mod called Kagari. She is a pretty damn insane Nomura fan and since she considers that Tabata "stained" Nomura's vision she wants FFXV to fail. For some reason everyone in Neogaf considers that everything that she says is an absolute truth and as a result the FF fanbase on Neogaf turned into a bunch of trolls that are desperate to see FFXV fail."

lol

BumRush

Maybe I'm an idiot but based on the demo this looks like one of the prettiest games I've seen on consoles period.

I'm being serious here- can someone help me understand why the visuals are being criticized?

I'm just reacting to some posts and whatever media I have seen...

The character models are excellent but their hair looks last gen...it's off-putting because of how stark the contrast is. Same with some environments looking amazing and then others (or vegetation in general) looking bad.

Koozek

Ironically I'm probably one of the posters mentioning The Witcher 3 the most here even though I've always hated WRPGs, no matter how many chances I gave them, and just a year ago I would've never thought I would play and love TW3 so much someday (also finished the great Hearts of Stone DLC two days ago). I've been a huge FFXV fanboy for years over here, but since I played TW3 I just can't deny that it's the new gold standard for large-scale RPGs that SE most likely won't be able to match just yet with their first game of this kind. Of course there are aspects where FFXV excels like animations, combat, monster diversity/bestiary or character AI/interactions, but writing and quest design won't even come close to TW3 if what we've seen so far is a good indicator of what to expect.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited for FFXV and I know it will give me that special FF feeling of a grand and magical adventure in an unique setting that you just don't get anywhere else :)

Voror

Found this on GameFAQs:

"Why does NeoGAF hate Final Fantasy XV?"

"It is because of a mod called Kagari. She is a pretty damn insane Nomura fan and since she considers that Tabata "stained" Nomura's vision she wants FFXV to fail. For some reason everyone in Neogaf considers that everything that she says is an absolute truth and as a result the FF fanbase on Neogaf turned into a bunch of trolls that are desperate to see FFXV fail."

lol

My favorite is that post with someone telling Kagari to use her power to get SE to release FFXV on 9/30 instead of delaying. I'm still not entirely sure if the person was doing an elaborate troll or completely serious.

Top Bottom