• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

Gbraga

I know people are probably tired of the comparison, but Witcher 3 set the bar for RPGs for me. FF XV probably won't live up to the hype. I just hope it doesn't end up being a train wreck :(

If so, only Persona 5 can save the jrpg genre now.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in the games. Personally, I don't see one completely outshining the other because they offer very different experiences that appeal to me in different ways. Final Fantasy probably has 0 chance of being as well written as Witcher 3, or having as many meaningful subplots for sidequests, but on the other hand, there's no experience in Wild Hunt that serves as a substitute to using my flying car to reach some place I couldn't before and battling giant monsters while teleporting and staying in the air for long periods of time.

Noctis is smaller than Adamantoise's eye, it's a whole other level of scale.

That's kind of what I don't get about this comparison that is so often made. Sure, FFXV will not be as good as The Witcher in the same elements, but I don't think it ever had a chance of being. You probably shouldn't be looking for a similar experience in this franchise in the first place. I'm sure I'll enjoy both for their own strengths, and if I don't, it's just because FFXV sucks on its own merits, not because it couldn't reach a completely different game.

Maybe I'm an idiot but based on the demo this looks like one of the prettiest games I've seen on consoles period.

I'm being serious here- can someone help me understand why the visuals are being criticized?

Mostly because the IQ is trash. Has been for a while, Platinum Demo looks really rough. This game will benefit a lot from a possible PC/Neo/Scorpio version.

cackhyena

Maybe I'm an idiot but based on the demo this looks like one of the prettiest games I've seen on consoles period.

I'm being serious here- can someone help me understand why the visuals are being criticized?

I'm honestly surprised you think so. I know Witcher 3 gets drawn out every time, but it really is the gold standard in visuals for open world games, even on console right now. This game doesn't live up to that, visually, I think.

Then again, the actual combat looks to be way more amped up then something like Witcher could deliver...in a fun way. There has to be sacrifices to the engine to allow for that, I guess. There's also the dev hell this game has gone through that must account for why it is the way it is. It's not ugly, but it doesn't inspire me either.

Koozek

My favorite is that post with someone telling Kagari to use her power to get SE to release FFXV on 9/30 instead of delaying. I'm still not entirely sure if the person was doing an elaborate troll or completely serious.

She was responsible for the delay, there's no doubt really.

muteki

I know people are probably tired of the comparison, but Witcher 3 set the bar for RPGs for me. FF XV probably won't live up to the hype. I just hope it doesn't end up being a train wreck :(

If so, only Persona 5 can save the jrpg genre now.

I have a really hard time placing XV and P5 in the same category in just about anything other than both being made of 1s and 0s.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Found this on GameFAQs:

"Why does NeoGAF hate Final Fantasy XV?"

"It is because of a mod called Kagari. She is a pretty damn insane Nomura fan and since she considers that Tabata "stained" Nomura's vision she wants FFXV to fail. For some reason everyone in Neogaf considers that everything that she says is an absolute truth and as a result the FF fanbase on Neogaf turned into a bunch of trolls that are desperate to see FFXV fail."

lol

The delusion of some people there is astounding.

Some more tasteful impressions of Cindy:

tumblr_nlp7u57n441ri7rfho1_500.gif
i screamed a little bit tbh

DoomGaze

Banned
I'm honestly surprised you think so. I know Witcher 3 gets drawn out every time, but it really is the gold standard in visuals for open world games, even on console right now. This game doesn't live up to that, visually, I think.

Then again, the actual combat looks to be way more amped up then something like Witcher could deliver...in a fun way. There has to be sacrifices to the engine to allow for that, I guess. There's also the dev hell this game has gone through that must account for why it is the way it is. It's not ugly, but it doesn't inspire me either.

I haven't played Witcher 3 on consoles but on PC absolutely it's gorgeous.

But the Demo of FFXV? You don't think that's just as pretty?

Fbh

Cindy looks like a model/pop star.
Makes sense in a world where the main cast look like models/pop starts.

Cindy isn't the issue. The issue is the character design in this game sucks

Found this on GameFAQs:

"It is because of a mod called Kagari. She is a pretty damn insane Nomura fan and since she considers that Tabata "stained" Nomura's vision she wants FFXV to fail. For some reason everyone in Neogaf considers that everything that she says is an absolute truth and as a result the FF fanbase on Neogaf turned into a bunch of trolls that are desperate to see FFXV fail."

lol

she even got the game delayed

I wonder if FFXV will have a long term effect on the franchise's popularity if it turns out poorly. They named it Final Fantasy 15, so they can't claim it's some spin off like Type 0 or what Versus would've been so if it turns out to be mediocre or bad then the franchise will have had no good/great installments in over 10 years and even 12 has a mixed fan reception from what I remember. It's also the debut of action game combat in a FF game which is what 7 remake will use, so I'm not sure if drawing direct parallels will hurt that as well.
I'm pretty sure reviewers won't be too rough on it seeing as Type 0 got a 72% on metacritic and that's a dumpster fire. I can see 75-83% overall.
Your impressions, much like a lot of others, do show some promise but it's marred by technical issues and unusual design choices. Hopefully it's fixable by November, but I'm not sure. Didn't they say that the later half of the game needed more work to be as polished as the first half which is basically the only playable sequences the public has been able to try?
Hope it turns out well, I like the direction they're taking the franchise but not a lot of decisions they've added in recently. FF7 being on another engine and not being altered by Tabata might mean it's the game to look out for despite being chopped up into 3 parts.

Koozek

She is owning her sexuality, like Quiet in MGSV

7583c90eacd71cd7eed57420ac5843d0.gif

Let's not shame strong independent woman in this thread pls!

Been a huge fan and played every MGS so far except MGSV for several reasons, but I swear it never felt as embarassingly pervy as MGSV from all the Quiet GIFs I've seen, jeez. Maybe it's the nostalgia and the less realistic visuals of the older games that make me forget. I obviously know there've always been those elements, but they felt a bit more tongue-in-cheek before, no? Or maybe my taste and tolerance for that stuff just changed through the years.

Dark_castle

I think it's cute how Gamefaqs hates Neogaf and Kagari so much. It's as if Kagari really is an evil overlord and we are all her unruly minions.

Korigama

Been a huge fan and played every MGS so far except MGSV for several reasons, but I swear it never felt as embarassingly pervy as MGSV from all the Quiet GIFs I've seen, jeez. Maybe it's the nostalgia and the less realistic visuals of the older games that make me forget. I obviously know there've always been those elements, but they felt a bit more tongue-in-cheek before, no? Or maybe my taste and tolerance for that stuff just changed through the years.
MGS4, BB Corps.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think it's cute how Gamefaqs hates Neogaf and Kagari so much. It's as if Kagari really is an evil overlord and we are all her unruly minions.

They're best left alone in their insecurities if they believe one person is controlling the hearts of minds of everyone here. The real world doesn't work like that.

dramatis

It's fine to disagree, but your incredibly condescending attitude is not. Don't talk to me like I'm fucking stupid, know nothing about women and am 'making excuses' because I simply have a different opinion.

Yes, I think her design could've been better, some of you make good points and I completely see where you're coming from, but I don't think it's quite worth all the outrage and hate either. But to each their own.

So, anyone else want to take a shot at me personally? Horrendous human being here, sitting waiting for his comeuppance.
I didn't shit on you when I replied to your post. But it was very irritating for me to see you open your post with "I'm really for gender equality" and then list off a bunch of excuses that have been used, over and over, for every sexualized female design that comes along.

Perhaps you're a little misguided. Some guys want to reconcile being able to enjoy what they enjoy (objectification of females) with a more moral base (gender equality). It's better than the guys in this thread who don't even disguise that they don't care about the female characters as characters, and pretty much just enjoy female characters as eyecandy.

Imagine that you're a female gamer and you have been faced, again and again, every single game, with a huge boobs, skimpily dressed female character that serves no other purpose than to service the male gaze. And every single game, you are told that "She chose the way she dresses", "She just has a sexy character", "That's how girls dress in that weather", etc. Apparently a female character that developers write for every single game is "the sexy female character".

In other words, perhaps the approach to try in the future is not to reason out the female design based on the logic the developers provide, or by your own rationalizations, but instead to put yourself in the shoes of the average woman and think, "What the average woman would think of that female design?"

The Hermit

Found this on GameFAQs:

lol

they figured us out! omg

semiconscious

Gold Member
[*]The guys find out about the invasion of Insomnia by reading the morning newspaper. This is really lame. In relation to where they are at the point, Insomnia is essentially just over a nearby hill, it is hard to believe they wouldn't have heard or seen any signs of an invading army going by. I wasn't invested enough in the guys, Noctis, Insomnia, Regis or their quest at this point so this rather pivotal scene lacked impact...

truly great impressions. thanks, mate! :) ...

Ydelnae

They're best left alone in their insecurities if they believe one person is controlling the hearts of minds of everyone here. The real world doesn't work like that.

This post reads like something a Kingdom Hearts villain would say, you should submit it to Nomura before delaying his next game.

From the time I've been posting here, I think it's a bit delusional to call GAF a hive-mind regarding this game. There is a strong vocal group of posters that always seem to complain about everything regarding this game, and the threads get a lot of Stella, power ranger and j-pop band crap drive-by posting, sure, but that's because of the nature of this project. People have been waiting a lot and there are others that are just angry at how S-E mismanaged their games last gen and don't trust them that much anymore. But still, there's also a group of posters (in which I could include myself?) that are happy about how the game is turning out and remain positive that the game might turn out good. While Kagari has been vocal about things that she doesn't like about the project, I pretty much doubt all the negativity in this forum towards this game has found its source in her comments.

FFXV is a very divisive game, but on GAF, XV threads are exposed to everyone that browses the Gaming forum, so everyone can come in here and post whatever they want, be it negative or positive. The only way you find a XV thread in GameFAQs is by browsing their XV forums, which are generally populated by people who are actually interested in the game as it is. That's why there's a contrast between this community and theirs. GAF is nothing near a hive-mind, even thought I have complained about the constant bashing this game has received, opinions are diverse and everyone is entitled to have theirs.

MoonFrog

Hmmm...I'm not planning to get this game at launch and a lot of the art and game design choices aren't what I'd want, but I would like to start hearing good things.

I'm content to wait, but I'd like to want this game despite my reservations when/if it comes to PC or I get a PS4. I'm also just tired of FF being such a mess. JRPG and Japanese gaming in general could really use a strong FF again.

Ydelnae

Sweet FSM are those *tan lines*? Apparently the artists have nothing better to do at this point than to perv her up as much as possible.

I mean, it's just a trait to her character. They also spent some time modelling Gladio's perfect muscle chest and "perving" him with tattoos. While I think Cidney's desing is inappropiate, I don't think the tan lines are actually what is wrong with her.

Steejee

I mean, it's just a trait to her character. They also spent some time modelling Gladio's perfect muscle chest and "perving" him with tattoos. While I think Cidney's desing is inappropiate, I don't think the tan lines are actually what is wrong with her.

It's more icing on the cake- They added a detail you can only see if you're staring at her ass when she's bending over like this. You wouldn't see those when she's standing up.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This post reads like something a Kingdom Hearts villain would say, you should submit it to Nomura before delaying his next game.

From the time I've been posting here, I think it's a bit delusional to call GAF a hive-mind regarding this game. There is a strong vocal group of posters that always seem to complain about everything regarding this game, and the threads get a lot of Stella, power ranger and j-pop band crap drive-by posting, sure, but that's because of the nature of this project. People have been waiting a lot and there are others that are just angry at how S-E mismanaged their games last gen and don't trust them that much anymore. But still, there's also a group of posters (in which I could include myself?) that are happy about how the game is turning out and remain positive that the game might turn out good. While Kagari has been vocal about things that she doesn't like about the project, I pretty much doubt all the negativity in this forum towards this game has found its source in her comments.

FFXV is a very divisive game, but on GAF, XV threads are exposed to everyone that browses the Gaming forum, so everyone can come in here and post whatever they want, be it negative or positive. The only way you find a XV thread in GameFAQs is by browsing their XV forums, which are generally populated by people who are actually interested in the game as it is. That's why there's a contrast between this community and theirs. GAF is nothing near a hive-mind, even thought I have complained about the constant bashing this game has received, opinions are diverse and everyone is entitled to have theirs.

Well said and i'm in the postive group.

wmlk

You know, I really can't tell when you're being serious and when you're not. This was pretty thoughtful. I'm just glad you take the effort to do these posts when I and others can't really be bothered to at this point. Because, you're entirely right, who am I to tell how others feel about the project?

This thing has gone through so many different iterations that people got attached to different ones. For me personally, I got really attached to the TGS 2014 when it felt like this game was embodying just good vibes of going on a journey. I almost wanted all of the baggage of everything pre-2014 to be gone, because what I saw then felt so good and so right. The game could have been a massive, carefree journey about Noctis being sent to his wedding in a whimsical adventure and that would be just what I wanted. In many ways, I could not care less what's cut and what's not because the game felt so right even if it departed from the brooding tone we'd become familiar with.

Whatever the case, I feel like people are making a mountain out of a molehill at times. Everything eventually devolves into shit-throwing from all angles. We can't look at the positives for what they are, because we're convinced that all aspects of the game were better at some previous iteration because it's been through so many. I just have no energy to make a positive thread about this game myself lol, even though I feel so strongly about it when there's so much uncertainty.

The parts about segmented sections with impossible walls/cliffs and "stick to the road" while driving sound perfect and hype af. I know some view them as technical limitations, but such things are necessary to help with pacing, and instill some overall direction.

I keep seeing you say the game looks bad, but honestly looking at these screens it looks completely fine to me.

Yea same here. I'm sure it'll look better on PC, but not seeing how it looks bad or ugly as it is.

Dark_castle

What would I do for a FFXVI with the art direction of Ghost of a Tale. I mean seriously, the art style in that game puts most AAA title's to shame, and yes, that includes XV for me.

GoaT1.jpg

ghost-of-a-tale-screenshot-ME3050607359_2.jpg

DoomGaze

Banned
I'm actually glad that they feel free enough to design Cindy the way they did. Lot of people bad-mouth developers' choice of design and those who like it and sometimes it causes the devs to revise or censor their vision. If people dislike it they have a right to voice that, but developers have a right to enact the software of their choice. Good deal :)

I'm actually glad that they feel free enough to design Cindy the way they did. Lot of people bad-mouth developers' choice of design and those who like it and sometimes it causes the devs to revise or censor their vision. If people dislike it they have a right to voice that, but developers have a right to enact the software of their choice. Good deal :)

Yea. I feel very torn about this. On one hand, the design is so pandery that it rubs me the wrong way. On the other, I don't like seeing games dial their content back just to fit a squeaky clean image.

Top Bottom