• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

Found this on GameFAQs:

"Why does NeoGAF hate Final Fantasy XV?"

"It is because of a mod called Kagari. She is a pretty damn insane Nomura fan and since she considers that Tabata "stained" Nomura's vision she wants FFXV to fail. For some reason everyone in Neogaf considers that everything that she says is an absolute truth and as a result the FF fanbase on Neogaf turned into a bunch of trolls that are desperate to see FFXV fail."

lol
I love gamefaqs lol

ZSeba

Found this on GameFAQs:

"It is because of a mod called Kagari. She is a pretty damn insane Nomura fan and since she considers that Tabata "stained" Nomura's vision she wants FFXV to fail. For some reason everyone in Neogaf considers that everything that she says is an absolute truth and as a result the FF fanbase on Neogaf turned into a bunch of trolls that are desperate to see FFXV fail."

lol

Well, she's been one of the most pessimistic posters in every FFXV thread, even more since TGS 2014

Don't ban me pls :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The nature of the project is going to have people go crazy from the most cynical to the most blindly optimistic.

I think the truth of the matter is in between.

Despite the impressions, and my personal reservations, the game is going to do decently well i think in regards to reception. Outside of Cindy, which i think is non defensible and unacceptable for a female character in 2016, and barring technical issues, this game will be seen as a decent return to form, if not hitting anywhere near the crazy expectations built up for a new numbered FF game and the Versus project.

I think it will be seen as a good breath of fresh air after the lightning series,and that's what this series needs right now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder if any of the XV team is working on VII-R. Hopefully they can use some knowledge of the shortcomings and failings on this project to not make the same mistake with VII-R.

Completely different teams. Tabata says they don't even interact in general.

SE luckily has realized that they can't just empty staff working on games to work on other games and expect to get much finished.

carlsojo

Not sure if I want this game because I think it's going to be legitimately good or because I want to take part in the shitstorm threads when the game comes out.

Not sure if I want this game because I think it's going to be legitimately good or because I want to take part in the shitstorm threads when the game comes out.

Oh, don't worry. Plenty of idiots will happily shit up the OT without buying the game. You don't need to buy to participate.

Found this on GameFAQs:

lol
She's been found out!

Kagari:
post-60462-President-Dave-Chappelle-knock-nBve.gif

Eccocid

What would I do for a FFXVI with the art direction of Ghost of a Tale. I mean seriously, the art style in that game puts most AAA title's to shame, and yes, that includes XV for me.

GoaT1.jpg

ghost-of-a-tale-screenshot-ME3050607359_2.jpg

There is a misunderstanding with the word Art Direction in here lately.

In those screen shots you show as an example of great art direction, all i see is realistically rendered caves. The only thing that has art direction in there is the character design. Well the caves have a direction too. "Make them realistic" that's all. It's shallow as an art direction tbh.

Aurongel

I look forward to the WikiLeaks disclosure on how the mods of GAF are getting paid off by Atlus.

The day of reckoning is almost upon us my brothers.

Gbraga

The negativity is fine, we're all just sharing impressions that may end up being the complete opposite to our final opinions on the game. As long as it doesn't derail the OT into "the IQ is shit" and "Versus was so much better", it's fine.

We should probably have a Downgrade thread for the game when it comes out, so we can all talk about the shit IQ in there. It is quite bad, and it's definitely worth talking about, but imo it's not worth filling the OT with it. Just like we get PC Performance threads so the OT isn't all specs talk. It's not that discussing PC Performance isn't important, but it can get in the way of discussing the actual game, so it's good to have a different thread. Even for the people invested in discussing performance, it helps them get the information they need much faster.

Koozek

The negativity is fine, we're all just sharing impressions that may end up being the complete opposite to our final opinions on the game. As long as it doesn't derail the OT into "the IQ is shit" and "Versus was so much better", it's fine.

We should probably have a Downgrade thread for the game when it comes out, so we can all talk about the shit IQ in there. It is quite bad, and it's definitely worth talking about, but imo it's not worth filling the OT with it. Just like we get PC Performance threads so the OT isn't all specs talk. It's not that discussing PC Performance isn't important, but it can get in the way of discussing the actual game, so it's good to have a different thread. Even for the people invested in discussing performance, it helps them get the information they need much faster.

Yeah, that sounds good.

Toth

Personally, I am comfortable that many of these graphical issues will be solved. The build we are seeing is now essentially three weeks old (and maybe even more than a month) and we know SE and Tabata have been working since then to tighten everything. So we are going to see three months worth of polish on the disc alone and maybe an additional month more if there is a day one patch.

RedZaraki

Banned
Personally, I am comfortable that many of these graphical issues will be solved. The build we are seeing is now essentially three weeks old (and maybe even more than a month) and we know SE and Tabata have been working since then to tighten everything. So we are going to see three months worth of polish on the disc alone and maybe an additional month more if there is a day one patch.

I'm curious how much can be achieved in 3 months. That's really not very much time in software development.

The fact that the hunt log can't even hold more than 1 quest at once leads me to believe that they weren't very forward thinking in their original designs. Put the cart before the horse and now they've backed themselves into all sorts of design corners with really simple scenarios they didn't even consider.

The fact that they ever developed more than a small piece of the game on anything more than actual PS4 hardware blows my mind. They should never, ever need to downgrade their performance, because their dev boxes should have been real PS4 machines. Not perfect, super-powered PCs that nowhere near match their target platform.

Did they really think they could just "optimize it later"? I can't believe that. They should have seen the performance problems as the assets were being added to the world in the first place.

cackhyena

Yeah, that quest hunt thing epitomizes not understanding the value of people's time. Don't do open world shit and block off the ability to multi task. So many other games got this right a long time ago. I guess it's mitigated if you can just warp back to the quest giver or something, otherwise...goddamn.

Toth

I'm curious how much can be achieved in 3 months. That's really not very much time in software development.

The fact that the hunt log can't even hold more than 1 quest at once leads me to believe that they weren't very forward thinking in their original designs. Put the cart before the horse and now they've backed themselves into all sorts of design corners with really simple scenarios they didn't even consider.

The fact that they ever developed more than a small piece of the game on anything more than actual PS4 hardware blows my mind. They should never, ever need to downgrade their performance, because their dev boxes should have been real PS4 machines. Not perfect, super-powered PCs that nowhere near match their target platform.

Did they really think they could just "optimize it later"? I can't believe that. They should have seen the performance problems as the assets were being added to the world in the first place.

From the video, the Quests screen has more than 2 quests marked as accepted so you have multiple quests active at least. Were you able to have multiple Hunts active in FF12? Been a while...

RedZaraki

Banned
From the video, the Quests screen has more than 2 quests marked as accepted.

That's good, but I meant the hunts specifically. It sounds like once you're in a hunt it actually alters the enviornment/spawns special enemies. Or something. I don't know.

Geg

From the video, the Quests screen has more than 2 quests marked as accepted so you have multiple quests active at least. Were you able to have multiple Hunts active in FF12? Been a while...

That's good, but I meant the hunts specifically. It sounds like once you're in a hunt it actually alters the enviornment/spawns special enemies. Or something. I don't know.

Yeah that's how it was in FF12, you only had one hunt active at once because accepting it spawned the special enemy you were supposed to hunt.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Kagari regarding Dragon Ball/threads: Favorite character Gohan is made into a joke

Kagari regarding Versus/XV/threads: Favorite character Stella is erased

Salt is understandable.

XV looks hype, though. I'm a bit worried that the story will be sparsely told... as all non-Witcher 3 modern games seem wont to do. The graphics don't even look that bad to a CONSOLE PEASANT like me.

Toth

Yeah that's how it was in FF12, you only had one hunt active at once because accepting it spawned the special enemy you were supposed to hunt.

I thought so. Seems like a strange thing for people to get upset about.

Ray Down

Banned
Kagari regarding Dragon Ball/threads: Favorite character Gohan is made into a joke

Kagari regarding Versus/XV/threads: Favorite character Stella is erased

Salt is understandable.

XV looks hype, though. I'm a bit worried that the story will be sparsely told... as all non-Witcher 3 modern games seem wont to do. The graphics don't even look that bad to a CONSOLE PEASANT like me.

Blame Toriyama for that, that and it just being generally hilarious.

I am glad they delayed the game to have the patch on the disc rather then it being a update

also lol at the Kagari thing

tough times Kagari, tough times

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Blame Toriyama for that, that and it just being generally hilarious.
I do blame Toriyama. Gohan is my
second
favorite character too. :mad:

semiconscious

Gold Member

why oh why can't i be this positive when it comes to just about anything? :) ...

Geg

The only real experience I have with open world games is MGSV so I have faith that the story will be better told & paced than that at least

Ralemont

not me
Yeah, that quest hunt thing epitomizes not understanding the value of people's time. Don't do open world shit and block off the ability to multi task. So many other games got this right a long time ago. I guess it's mitigated if you can just warp back to the quest giver or something, otherwise...goddamn.

You can fast travel back to the car which will I think mitigate much of the backtracking (since you'll probably leave the car at the town and use chocobos to go into the wild).

I am also in favor of a FFXV graphics thread. I believe the same was done for The Witcher 3 and it seemed to have worked okay.

I hope the story isn't sparsely told either. Please be good.

Well, it looks like some set pieces like Luna vs Leviathan are somewhat in tact from the 2013 E3 trailer. And the world map looks huuuge and we've only seen a fraction of it so I'm desperately holding out hope that they are withholding a lot from us.

But I'm not optimistic. I would not be surprised if the narrative structure was; opening events -> fetch quests to collect swords of past kings from tombs -> mid-game event like the plague of stars or something -> quests to stop plague of stars -> end game events. And we're just stuck with gratuitous Cidney ass shots in between.

Well if my memory serves FFXII had pretty sparsely told story compared to most other titles in the series and people seem to love it (not me doe :p).

MGSV vibes definately if they already have shown most of the narrative stuff. Well, I don't think it's possible to be as bad since MGSV literally showed almost every cutscene in the game pre release.

Well if my memory serves FFXII had pretty sparsely told story compared to most other titles in the series and people seem to love it (not me doe :p).

MGSV vibes definately if they already have shown most of the narrative stuff. Well, I don't think it's possible to be as bad since MGSV literally showed almost every cutscene in the game pre release.

The problem with FF XII is the second half where the story is insanely sparcely told. The first half is almost perfect.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They need to delay this game another year.

I miss the old Square... Sakaguchi in particular.
If this bombs, they need to get on their hands and knees and beg the Gooch to return.

In my dreams he comes back someday and knocks it out of the park, like Steve Jobs returning to Apple or George Miller returning to Mad Max.

Top Bottom