• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

Bladenic

Jesus... some of the hyperbole in this thread.

Lmao please expand. Hyperbole is people shitting on chapter 13 like it's the worst thing ever created. The game's story content is short. I finished the game at 70 hours and I'm certain the story was 20% of that. 15-20 hours is how long the story would take to get through with minimum sidequesting. Not saying it's necessarily a knock because there's lots of content, but story content makes a fraction of that.

Elios83

Are people serious about stopping playing or whatever??
They're not remaking the title trasforming it in the game of your dreams.
They're just updating/rebalacing/releasing DLCs and extra contents like it happens for every modern game at this point.
Witcher 3 day one is a completely different game from Witcher 3 right now with all the DLCs included.
Did people stop playing it? No.
If you wait for the definitive edition of this game you're probably waiting until 2018.
This is their full update plan not a patch they'll release soon.

oSoLucky

I understand being upset about how the game turned out. I don't understand why there's negatives from them realizing that people have a lot of problems with the game and trying to fix some of them. It's a pretty silly mentality IMO. If they end up fixing issues, that is objectively better than not fixing them, whether someone feels that they got the inferior experience or not.

GunBR

What level do they expect you to be by then? I'm in chapter 5 and am level 46, so I'm wondering just how overleveled I am for the story.

I beat the game at level 45

I just started playing yesterday and haven't heard anything about chapter 13. Only like 2 or 3 hours in. Is this worth putting off playing the game until they fix it?
They're probably gonna add 5 minutes of cutscenes about one minor character. Is not worth the wait, just play the game now

Ruff

God, there's another game in the past year or so that I remember had a patch to flesh out the story or a character in a certain part with some cutscenes but I'm completely drawing a blank on it.

I want to say it was MGSV but I can't think where it would have been.

GunBR

Lmao please expand. Hyperbole is people shitting on chapter 13 like it's the worst thing ever created. The game's story content is short. I finished the game at 70 hours and I'm certain the story was 20% of that. 15-20 hours is how long the story would take to get through with minimum sidequesting. Not saying it's necessarily a knock because there's lots of content, but story content makes a fraction of that.
The story is something like 20-25. And skipping the car travels
15h is a hyperbole

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wait, which location are you referencing? I've beaten the game ten times, lol. I've been a sorta prominent member of its dedicated board on another site since I was a kid. This is eluding me, though. There's a ton of content missing on Disc 2, but which dungeon are you talking about?

I think it was those pipes thing I saw in the world map and there was a door/cave going into it.

Foffy

Banned
See what happens when you unceremoniously kick Nomura-sama from a project?

Tabata should resign after this embarrassment.

But this game...actually got released.

Nomura's babies literally get put through primary school educations before they see a true release date.

A Fantasy for fans of Steam Early Access.

Maybe I should stop my playthrough and just play The Last Guardian instead while I wait for these patches.

I played a little bit (10-15 minutes) of Chapter 13 but from my experience I was expecting them to say that they are nerfing the said weapon. I guess I'm just too OP for that chapter then (lvl 63) cause thus far, I've been one hit killing everyone.

Long term goal seems cool. That should give me the incentive to do a Japanese audio run in the future.

Illucio

Banned
Shit I need to do a 2nd playthrough if this is the case.

Here's to hoping for chapter a 0 and chapter 13 to be fixed.

Are people serious about stopping playing or whatever??
They're not remaking the title trasforming it in the game of your dreams.
They're just updating/rebalacing/releasing DLCs and extra contents like it happens for every modern game at this point.
Witcher 3 day one is a completely different game from Witcher 3 right now with all the DLCs included.
Did people stop playing it? No.
If you wait for the definitive edition of this game you're probably waiting until 2018.
This is their full update plan not a patch they'll release soon.

People's reactions of stop playing right now is because the update will be adding story elements to the game and they don't want to start a 2nd play-through in order to see a complete story, so they rather just wait it out. I think people are just upset that the majority of the game is complete, but the story is incomplete on it's own and it needs to be fleshed out.

SoulUnison

Banned
What do they even mean by "playable?"
Full on control like the Bros will get during their spotlight DLCs, or just the ability to freely invite "Guest Party Members?"

And one of the biggest complaints and misdirects is that
----Luna----
never joins as a Guest, even momentarily, but where in the story could that even possibly make sense to add unless they expand the setpiece around
Leviathan
? Perhaps she could be part of the
Ignis
DLC?

What happened to that whole "Master Version" nonsense Tabata/SE? If the game needed this much work, You. Should. Have. Held. It. Longer.

tsab

Oh man, 10 years in the making and the game is still incomplete?
Hopefully by the time they release the PC version they'll finish it

Ray Down

Banned
What do they even mean by "playable?"
Full on control like the Bros will get during their spotlight DLCs, or just the ability to freely invite "Guest Party Members?"

And one of the biggest complaints and misdirects is that
----Luna----
never joins as a Guest, even momentarily, but where in the story could that even possibly make sense to add unless they expand the setpiece around
Leviathan
? Perhaps she could be part of the
Ignis
DLC?

Playable in mutiplayer? Guest? Story DLC?

Can be any of these.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
eh man at least I could see what I was doing during combat in mgs.

MGSV has impeccable variety of approaches within a profoundly boring loop visiting the same locations time and again with slightly different variables.

I can see the case being made that FFXV isn't so far removed from that statement if folks dislike the battle system, I suppose, but I like the world more, I like the characters more, I like the story more, I dig the dungeons, there's a heap more diversity involved in each time I boot it up, and the game doesn't make me twitch just thinking about it.

Frankly, I'm allergic to MGSV, and the lack of boss fights and whatnot is kind of the least of its problems. But really, I don't like its gameplay much after the first couple of hours. As soon as I realized the repetition, it was such a letdown... and that was right as I discovered how utterly unfinished the story was.

Funny. Unless you imported, you never paid full price for those either.

=P

I never said I paid for those editions. I just said I'd rather free patches than paying full price for a revised edition like the Final Mixes or an International Zodiac Job System version of XV.

Fans outside of Japan spent years begging these companies to release those games (which they now have done thank you Square). It's just good to see what was once re-sold for full price is now given to gamers for free.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What happened to that whole "Master Version" nonsense Tabata/SE? If the game needed this much work, You. Should. Have. Held. It. Longer.
Likely a ton of pressure to hurry up and get it out the door. Please be excited for Final Fantasy XV - Ultimate Lacrimosa Esperanza Edition.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I mean at some point they have to push this thing out of the gate or else when are they ever gonna get done with KHIII and FFVII? You don't want those games to face a ten year cycle either.

Tyaren

I'm avoiding spoilers and I'm not that far, but there is no way the game pulls a xenogears right?

FFXV has actually a good, compelling story, good characters and an awesome villain. The problem is, that story is very poorly told in the actual game. You have to read it up in the game guide or online or watch Kingsglaive or the Brotherhood anime. There is so much stuff never explained and so many characters, even important ones, suddenly vanish without ever being mentioned again. You really can get the feeling there is a lot of stuff missing/cut. This really needs to be patched.

Just cross-posting what I said in the Spoiler thread, they apparently learned nothing from XIV and the lessons that Yoshida shared at that GDC conference:

3steps.jpg

Square2015

Erm, where's the initial evidence? This is the first I'm seeing of anyone thinking it's not selling well.

UK numbers were significantly lower than FF13, preliminary Japanese sales, and the lack of a PR on week1 NA sales. SQEN had announced 1m+ sold first week in North America for FFXIII at this point (a record by far for the series) and with FF15 available more days than 13 that first week.

They should expand on chapter
too.

How did Tenabrae end up just being the train section and a train station. I was so upset we didn't get to explore that

Hysteria

Whew!

I'm relieved and I'm gonna stop playing through my second playthrough.

FIX this mess, SE.

FFXV was a premature mess.
So much opportunity in SOOO many areas.
Gonna sit this down and dive back into DA:I and play some last guardian too.

Mailbox

Oh man, 10 years in the making and the game is still incomplete?
Hopefully by the time they release the PC version they'll finish it

To be kinda fair, its mostly because it took 10 years that its a mess. It was originally 1 game, that then became a trilogy, that then changed directors, that was then given a complete rewrite to make everything that was in that trilogy into 1 game and delete and make up new characters, and they they had 3-4 years to implement that.

Not saying its an excuse, but that's probably the explanation.

I can only hope this makes the narrative better. The story is there, but the narrative does everything in its power to not tell its story. Hopefully giving better context helps a bunch.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I mean at some point they have to push this thing out of the gate or else when are hey ever gonna get done with KHIII and FFVII? You don't want those games to face a ten year cycle either.

Apparently this game is still in development though. They just decided to sell it unfinished

GunBR

The game has actually a good, compelling story, good characters and an awesome villain. The problem is, that story is very poorly told game. You have to read it up in game guide or online. There is so much stuff never explained and so many characters, even important ones, suddenly vanish without ever being mentioned again. You really can get the feeling there is a lot of stuff missing/cut. This really needs to be patched.
Quoting what I said on the spoiler thread:

It looks like they took a script of 1000 pages and had to cut to 300 pages to be able to release the game on this decade

I mean at some point they have to push this thing out of the gate or else when are hey ever gonna get done with KHIII and FFVII? You don't want those games to face a ten year cycle either.
I refuse to believe those are 2017 titles anyway, so I can't think a move to early 2017 would have been that much of a problem.

So the article starts with him saying "we said we won't rerelease this" in reference to the game.

Jesus, what time-frame were they planning on supporting this game? At first I was thinking I'd shelf this until chapter patch like others, but the way that comes across with speech localization, cutscene development, etc. I'm pretty sure I will not be playing this game by the time these patches are developed.

I honestly think that they shouldn't bother with story stuff anymore though. Story is bad and there is no fixing it. Just focus on adding further gameplay related improvements and contents. That story is a lost cause and would be a waste of resources for them to try to salvage it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Never played Xenogears......what happens? Spoiler tags of course.

No spoiler tags needed for this one, methinks, but if you disagree I'll add 'em.

Xenogears is a tremendously lengthy Squaresoft JRPG with a sprawling story and cast big enough to make FFVII blush. Trouble is, development budget hit a brick wall. The first disc alone can last players 50+ hours, but the second disc condenses the gameplay considerably, such that the major characters do a lot of in-between narration catching players up on the places the party goes -- without gameplay.

There are still several dungeons and the final few hours opens back up to the world map. But yeah, to give you a good idea of how linear and text-heavy it gets, you don't have access to the world map from the point before the last few hours of disc one all the way to near the end of disc two -- and disc two is still a dozen-odd hours in length.

That dozen hours would have been closer to 25 if it were properly finished. You also hit some story beats that are frustratingly off-camera (sort of; you get stillframes and sometimes dialogue between characters on unfinished starry backgrounds.)

Top Bottom