• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

Halabane

I don't understand the messaging on this. They pat themselves on the back for the sales but now they are talking about some rather large renovations to the game. What do they want the people who bought the game to do? Stop playing? Wait till they are done? What is SE advising people to do?

I am not really enjoying the game. The combat system, camera and the characters themselves are not interesting, meaningful or fun. Not really understanding the reviews on this and now the SE is kind of saying the game is semi-broken? Don't get the hate on FF13 which I had fun with over this game. Combat was better, progression was better and the characters were more interesting. I know some things were missing but I always felt that it was done intentionally based on feedback from the community...but whatever.

Guess I will go back to World of FF and try to platinum it. To me its the better FF game out this year.

thanks for doing this

stupid that they have to do this

still gonna play it but honestly

everything seems cool, still, kinda lame to do this and not have it ready for release if the plan was to have everything from the beginning

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just cross-posting what I said in the Spoiler thread, they apparently learned nothing from XIV and the lessons that Yoshida shared at that GDC conference:

3steps.jpg

This is a funny image because he kind of fails at two of these from time to time.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
UK numbers were significantly lower than FF13, preliminary Japanese sales, and the lack of a PR on week1 NA sales. SQEN had announced 1m+ sold first week in North America for FFXIII at this point (a record by far for the series) and with FF15 available more days than 13 that first week.

UK numbers were somewhere between 90k and 170k, right? That's a tremendously wide margin. They're stronger than FFXII's, regardless.

We have word on Japanese sales? I hadn't noticed. I ought to go see.

Oh man, 10 years in the making and the game is still incomplete?
Hopefully by the time they release the PC version they'll finish it

10 years in the making ? Not even close, project got rebooted and cancelled.

People expecting the second linear half all of sudden to be open world are in for a rude awakening.

nikos

I had a feeling that section of the game would be changed.

I wouldn't have it any other way. It helped put you in Noctis' shoes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Apparently this game is still in development though. They just decided to sell it unfinished
For the record I'm not condoning Squeenix for pushing a clearly unfinished product onto the masses, but I can see why they did what they did, much like Konami with MGS5.
I refuse to believe those are 2017 titles anyway, so I can't think a move to early 2017 would have been that much of a problem.
It is a problem if you wanna push for a holiday rush.

Tyaren

That story is a lost cause and would be a waste of resources for them to try to salvage it.

The actual story is not bad at all. The foundation is there, they just have to actually tell the story in the game.
It's not one of those cases were the plot is a convoluted, incomprehensible mess that can't be saved. It's fairly straight forward and makes sense, but as I said, you actually have to tell that story.

Are you fucking serious

Stop playing right now people

Do not get up to that chapter until the patch hits

I repeat

DO NOT PLAY THE WORST CHAPTER IN FF HISTORY UNTIL IT'S FIXED

Yeah this sounds really annoying, i just want to finish the game. Not wait months for it to be fixed. Sounds like No Mans Sky that people have already uninstalled the game when these patches arrive :p

Kaizer

Banned
No spoiler tags needed for this one, methinks, but if you disagree I'll add 'em.

Xenogears is a tremendously lengthy Squaresoft JRPG with a sprawling story and cast big enough to make FFVII blush. Trouble is, development budget hit a brick wall. The first disc alone can last players 50+ hours, but the second disc condenses the gameplay considerably, such that the major characters do a lot of in-between narration catching players up on the places the party goes -- without gameplay.

There are still several dungeons and the final few hours opens back up to the world map. But yeah, to give you a good idea of how linear and text-heavy it gets, you don't have access to the world map from the point before the last few hours of disc one all the way to near the end of disc two -- and disc two is still a dozen-odd hours in length.

That dozen hours would have been closer to 25 if it were properly finished. You also hit some story beats that are frustratingly off-camera (sort of; you get stillframes and sometimes dialogue between characters on unfinished starry backgrounds.)

Ahhhhh, I see. While not exactly the same, FFXV's story path & the gameplay that follows that path are similar.

LordKano

Can you even believe it ? In order to fully enjoy the story, you need to watch a full movie, four episodes of an anime and wait for Square to finish the game weeks after the launch, before be allowed to play the game in good conditions concerning the story.

And that's assuming they won't release an update in two months that tries to fix the story again.

Hysteria

Better late than never, I guess.

The story deserves so much more than what was given.
Characters too.

That being said, I'm putting this down until things are fixed.

Hopeford

I know a lot of people aren't happy with this, but honestly, I'm pretty hyped about it. Was a huge fan of the game in its current state and knowing it's gonna get touched up even more makes me really interested.

And I'm just gonna go ahead and keep my Deluxe Edition sealed up for a few more months. I'll check again in April and see where we are at.

duckroll

So I'm curious, do people believe that this chapter 13 problem can be fixed? Like, does the team have the actual knowhow to make it into something good, or are people just hoping? Didn't they patch a "fix" for the Leviathan fight too? And the consensus seems to be that it's largely... still shit.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Wtf that is so strange for a story heavy game.

Well, ah, see, that... that's the thing...

So I'm curious, do people believe that this chapter 13 problem can be fixed? Like, does the team have the actual knowhow to make it into something good, or are people just hoping? Didn't they patch a "fix" for the Leviathan fight too? And the consensus seems to be that it's largely... still shit.

I don't really care about the gameplay problems, honestly. I'm just on this wild crazy plot train for more plot. Gimme as many new cutscenes as possible.

(But no, I don't expect Chapter 13 to be all that much stronger gameplay-wise.)

The actual story is not bad at all. The foundation is there, they just have to actually tell the story in the game.
It's not one of those cases were the plot is a convoluted, incomprehensible mess that can't be saved. It's fairly straight forward and makes sense, but as I said, you actually have to tell that story.

The idea that they had (overall story that writers came up with) is not bad, but the story parts that are in the game and the way they are presented are really bad. You can't fix major parts of that story (and some important characters) without changing a lot about the current structure of the narratives, which in turn would need them to add A LOT of things to the game. That's a huge undertaking and one that is most certainly not worth it at this point. So, the story in this game is a lost cause regardless of how simple or good the initial script is/was.

Like I said. They should just focus on gameplay aspects.

danthefan

I haven't played this yet but can completely understand why you'd be pissed if you'd played through it already. They're basically balancing the story instead of the gameplay.

Ploid 3.0

Since it seems like the game won't be coming to PC until 2018 if that rumor is true, I'll wait until maybe summer when the tweaks and such are done (thanks for beta testing).

I don't know how much endgame stuff is in it but I hope by then there are a lot more stuff added to the game. Combat tweaks that make it so you need to have someone alive to use those phoenix down items (I'd just feel like I would use them as a crutch instead of playing tactically if that is possible).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

They would have to genuinely rework and remove a ton of 13 to do anything to it. The mechanics are boring by default and there's no saving the environment, best they can do is hasten the whole thing.

But if they just buff the ring...that really won't do anything since your nuke spell is always going to be better.

Congrats suckers thanks for paying full price to beta test for us!

Seriously tho i don't think there is anything they can do to make the current battle system good but being able to change AI behavior ala Tales would be a good start.

Making the
ring
or any other weapon more powerful doesn't fix the issue that it's too long, it's a bunch of hallways and that it's boring as shit.

So no. It can't be fixed unless they were to overhaul the entire structure of that chapter from the ground up. I think the best they can do is buff the weapons, and maybe chop a section off to lessen the suffering.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Wait, how was the Leviathan fight pre-fixed?

i wonder if by the end of all those "improvements" we will have to download the equivalent of the size of the game in updates and patches only...

Mailbox

The idea that they had (overall story that writers came up with) is not bad, but the story parts that are in the game and the way they are presented are really bad. You can't fix major parts of that story (and some important characters) without changing a lot about the current structure of the narratives, which in turn would need them to add A LOT of things to the game. That's a huge undertaking and one that is most certainly not worth it at this point. So, the story in this game is a lost cause regardless of how simple or good the initial script is/was.

Like I said. They should just focus on gameplay aspects.

tbh adding a few (or more than a few) cutscenes relating to Luna and Ravus would improve things a lot already. Add in a few cutscenes regarding the empire and you have a pretty decent telling, i'd say.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Unless I can't read, they're only working on things regarding Ravus.

The translation of the main article strongly indicates that the Ravus gig is just one example. Tabata specifically mentions "improvements to the second half of the story" and then uses the Ravus cutscene that's in the works as a tease for more.

Top Bottom