• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

Thank you for playing Final Fantasy XV. Final Fantasy XV was able to achieve an amazing accomplishment, shipping 5 million copies worldwide on the release day. I would like to express my gratitude for everyone that has purchased it.

Currently I have heard many players around the world enjoying themselves. Players are pleased to be enjoying this new Final Fantasy, as well as the staff, we are really happy.
We’ve promised before launching the game that Final Fantasy needed to be complete before it was released. We will continue to update and we are planning to provide a more rich gaming experience to all players around the world. As a gratitude for exceeding 5 million copies, I’ve decided to strengthen the update plan considerably beyond the original plan and inform you of a concrete road map.
These are updates to make the Final Fantasy XV gaming experience more rich, and for longer playability, updates based on requests from players after the release, and in addition to DLC development reported previously. They will be given for free for the short term, mid-term, and long-term.

Final Fantasy XV Update Roadmap

Short-term goals
First, we will update the experience of Chapter 13’s gameplay. For that reason, we are undertaking many enhancements such as increasing the power of the ring’s magic. We will inform you of the details of updated content at a later time.

Mid-term goals
Updating the production of the second half of the game, further enhancing the experience of the story. For example, we are planning to add event scenes where “What happened to Ravus?” was from. In addition to the event scenes, voice responses and localization work to all languages will occur so we will work firmly on this as a mid-term goal. Details of the plan will be announced once it’s decided.

Long-term goals
We will make it possible to use important characters that appeared in the main game as playable characters. We will also consider adding an avatar system to create original characters. In addition to this, we will continue to actively update so that various players can enjoy Final Fantasy XV for a long time.

Others
After clearing the game, you can carry your progress into a New Game. Finishing it at a low level, an invincible suit, we will offer various items that extend the range of play. Fonts displayed can be enlarged for easier reading.
For the already announced DLC, it is planned to be released as originally intended.

FFXV Holiday Pack
FFXV Booster Pack
FFXV Episode Gladiolus
FFXV Episode Ignis
FFXV Episode Prompto
FFXV Online Expansion Pack: Companion

On behalf of the staff and all players around the world,we hope you will enjoy Final Fantasy XV even more. Thank you for your continued support for Final Fantasy XV and the Final Fantasy series.

FFXV Director Hajime Tabata
This should probably be added to OP. Funny that a bunch of these things were said in the "add minor/additional things to the game with patches" thread as pipe dreams and it's actually happening instead of them remaining quiet and doing nothing.

The translation of the main article strongly indicates that the Ravus gig is just one example. Tabata specifically mentions "improvements to the second half of the story" and then uses the Ravus cutscene that's in the works as a tease for more.

Neato. If they make it better, great. I like the story in the second half, could just use more scenes. And they should remove "chapters" from the game altogether.

edit ^^^okay damn that's crazy lol

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I agree, LordofLore. Adding that to the OP will improve understanding considerably. As it stands, more folks than just brandon might come away from this thinking the only story enhancement in the works is a Ravus cutscene, for example.

ngff02

I've already put in 30 hours getting to chapter 4. It will be kinda hard to ruin the game for me, I've survived Diablo 3's launch and ME3's ending without being phased.

chrono01

I've been taking my time playing (still in Chapter 3, doing side-quests), but I might press on to Chapter 9, and then go the side-quest route. if I finish that up quickly, I always have The Last Guardian to play until SE patches/improves everything.

What a mess, though. :/

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
And they should remove "chapters" from the game altogether.

I wasn't a fan of this element in 13 and I was honestly pretty bummed when it was initially announced for 15. Messes with immersion and sets preconceived bars on story progress for anyone who has any idea how many chapters there will be (and Square is pitifully predictable so I rightly guessed 15 from the start, even if it turns out
15 is postgame lol
).

I wasn't a fan of this element in 13 and I was honestly pretty bummed when it was initially announced for 15. Messes with immersion and sets preconceived bars on story progress for anyone who has any idea how many chapters there will be (and Square is pitifully predictable so I rightly guessed 15 from the start, even if it turns out
15 is postgame lol
).

Yeah obviously things are rushed but having the chapters start flying by later only highlights this.

duckroll

15 is postgame lol
).

Well, I mean, to be fair....you have preconceived bars on story progress from FF7 to 9 based on how many discs there were.................

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fixed the OP. Thanks LordOfLore.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted and i thought it was pure pipe dream stuff.
Thank you to everyone that has worked and continues to work on this game, your hard work and this product mean a lot to me.

And this game is critically acclaimed ? Welcome to 2016 when a game that is a mess can get 9/10 as long as it's marketed well enough

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I can't believe this.

I just can't.

I bought FFXV and it's sitting right across me and I'm contemplating on waiting given the tepid response of the last half of the game. It's depressing.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Well, I mean, to be fair....you have preconceived bars on story progress from FF7 to 9 based on how many discs there were.................

What's funny is I had this conversation with someone who called me out on that very thing a couple of weeks ago too. I think I've managed to forget it twice now. Somehow.

It's a more than fair point. But it was nice not having those checkmarks in any capacity in X and XII... and I through VI, too... y'know?

So I'm curious, do people believe that this chapter 13 problem can be fixed? Like, does the team have the actual knowhow to make it into something good, or are people just hoping? Didn't they patch a "fix" for the Leviathan fight too? And the consensus seems to be that it's largely... still shit.

I'm fairly convinced they have no idea what the problem is, so won't fix it.

That said, maybe they're being incredibly meta with the chapters, and the core elements of each numbered chapter relate to each mainline numbered FF game? In which case, an almost endless series of corridors is essential to Chapter 13, and we just haven't figured that out yet... =P

This should probably be added to OP. Funny that a bunch of these things were said in the "add minor/additional things to the game with patches" thread as pipe dreams and it's actually happening instead of them remaining quiet and doing nothing.

I'm still on chapter 8, so I haven't gotten to the parts that people seem to have big issues with, but I'm really happy that this game is going to get hefty post launch support. I'm very interested in the thing about playing as important characters from the story.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
And this game is critically acclaimed ? Welcome to 2016 when a game that is a mess can get 9/10 as long as it's marketed well enough
KAzhnTO.jpg

tbh adding a few (or more than a few) cutscenes relating to Luna and Ravus would improve things a lot already. Add in a few cutscenes regarding the empire and you have a pretty decent telling, i'd say.

I don't really agree on Luna. They can add 3-4 more cutscenes showing her do whatever she was doing during the events of the game and it still won't make her character that much more important. At least not to me. The game itself is structured around Noct and his companions but the story tries to rely heavily on Luna who just can't be an important character due to the said structure of the game.

So unless they add a moderately lengthy playable Luna section that let's you see and experience her said of things with lots story bits and characterization that goes way past the "I do anything for Noctis cause he is the main character" attitude that she has, her character will always fall flat.

Or maybe people like the game in spite of the flaws.
I can't believe this.

I just can't.

I bought FFXV and it's sitting right across me and I'm contemplating on waiting given the tepid response of the last half of the game. It's depressing.

I've put 50 hours into it and still haven't gotten to the stuff people hate. I have a hard time believing that the final chapters will completely ruin all the enjoyment I already got out of the game.

So I'm curious, do people believe that this chapter 13 problem can be fixed? Like, does the team have the actual knowhow to make it into something good, or are people just hoping? Didn't they patch a "fix" for the Leviathan fight too? And the consensus seems to be that it's largely... still shit.

IMO the while chapter needs to be redone from the ground. And that's unlikely to happen.

So in chapter 6 right now, should I just stop playing until the update ? :/
Short term patches won't change much. Long term patches hopefully will, but I wouldn't suggest waiting for them if you're already part way into the game. Just know that once you leave Altissia the fun is mostly over, and you're in for a wild ride of a story that is not only clearly missing several characters and important cutscenes, but entire chunks of gameplay and any explorable locations at all. Luckily, once the story is done you can go back to the open world section of the game with new dungeons, challenges, and upgrades to play. So it's still worth enduring to get back to the good stuff, and thanks to how rushed it is you won't be long finishing. Just be prepared for Chapter 13.

nikos

I can't believe people are putting the game away because a chapter is going to be "fixed."

That chapter was the only one in which I was actually afraid of enemies. Once the inevitable nerf comes, that portion of the game will never be the same. It was a difficult time for the main characters as well as the player. It should be played as originally intended.

Extra cutscenes will be nice, but I wouldn't put the game down for it. It's just fine as it is.

I can't believe this.

I just can't.

Maybe make a separate save file for the second half to return later? 2nd half is not that bad, it's just 100% story, a race to the end and concludes the game. I was nervous too, but damn the ending was worth it (been in a state of depression ever since) I liked chap 13,
really made you realize how much you rely on your friends! Feels a lot like Shinra corp from FF7 (which I loved) And also how impactful the 2nd half becomes once you literally loose everything
Even with all the story flaws damnnnnnnnnn does ffxv got it's conceptual game aced.
(reoccurring duality/light and dark etc etc etc)

So basically the game needed that extra year like some of us said. Appreciate they recognise the fault and are actively fixing it, but just further adds to the embarrassment. Should have waited a year or released episodically!

This is a mess. What on earth.

I don't get how them wanting to fix/improve a small part of the game (small in terms of how much of the overall game it is in terms of time the player spends on it) makes this a mess. People are really overreacting. They shipped a completed game that had issues and as a thank you those who bought it they have decided to make improvements to the game.

Mailbox

I don't really agree on Luna. They can add 3-4 more cutscenes showing her do whatever she was doing during the events of the game and it still won't make her character that much more important. At least not to me. The game itself is structured around Noct and his companions but the story tries to rely heavily on Luna who just can't be an important character due to the said structure of the game.

So unless they add a moderately lengthy playable Luna section that let's you see and experience her said of things with lots story bits and characterization that goes way past the "I do anything for Noctis cause he is the main character" attitude that she has, her character will always fall flat.

I should have been more clear then. My biggest problem with Luna (outside of the fact that she's
fridged
) is that you basically only got 3 cutscenes of her. If they add more cutscenes of her as a kid and noct together, or of her past, or hell, even more cutscenes like the ones after
her death
that were about her, then I think i'd at least care a lil more.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I've put 50 hours into it and still haven't gotten to the stuff people hate. I have a hard time believing that the final chapters will completely ruin all the enjoyment I already got out of the game.
Just try it and see for yourself, you already bought it.
Maybe make a separate save file for the second half to return later? 2nd half is not that bad, it's just 100% story, a race to the end and concludes the game. I was nervous too, but damn the ending was worth it (been in a state of depression ever since) I liked chap 13,
really made you realize how much you rely on your friends! And also how impactful the 2nd half becomes once you literally loose everything
Even with all the story flaws damnnnnnnnnn does ffxv got it's conceptual game aced.
(reoccurring duality/light and dark etc etc etc)

Alright guys, thanks for the responses.

I guess I'll press forward given what you have said.

And a second save file could work too once the update is complete if I choose to revisit the game.

I can't believe people are putting the game away because a chapter is going to be "fixed."

That chapter was the only one in which I was actually afraid of enemies. Once the inevitable nerf comes, that portion of the game will never be the same. It was a difficult time for the main characters as well as the player. It should be played as originally intended.

Extra cutscenes will be nice, but I wouldn't put the game down for it. It's just fine as it is.

You were afraid of enemies there? The main complaint wasn't that it's too challenging and enemies are too scary, but that the chapter drags on too long and is way too repetitive. There wasn't anything to be scared of after the first jump scare. Ring magic was easy to use but boring as hell. Either one shot with spells, or hold block against the soldiers. Really dumb chapter. Needs to be at least halved in length.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't get how them wanting to fix/improve a small part of the game (small in terms of how much of the overall game it is in terms of time the player spends on it) makes this a mess. People are really overreacting. They shipped a completed game that had issues and as a thank you those who bought it they have decided to make improvements to the game.

this is gaf. we overreact to everything ;)

Mendrox

Lol fuck off now Square Enix. Guys the game will be finished in 2018 including more explaination about fucking everything. Fuck this.

Top Bottom