• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 2-8 | The Great Cave-In Offensive

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm coming out of competitive retirement for MKX and T7.

Heck I've even been playing Ultra in arcades almost every night I've been in Tokyo >.>

Sayad

If I won megabucks in a lottery- the one gaming-related thing I'd do is try to buy both Lab Zero and SNK, just to get Lab Zero to make Fatal Fury and Last Blade games. (I wouldn't let Mike Z near SamSho)

Other than that, I'd leave SNK alone outside of forcing them to use Z engine for KOF in future.
splatoonbarf.jpg

I have a long list of games I'd like to see Lab Zero make, the only fighting game on that list though is SG2.

Won't mind them handling the network stuff though. ;p

Tripon

B9IgbJ5IYAAf4aJ.jpg
Gaming Generations
‏@Gaming_Gen
We call it the pallet of goodness! #WiiU's and #XboxOne's for this years event season. #PS4's your next! #Esports

https://twitter.com/Gaming_Gen/status/563548555411873792

That's a lot of consoles.

CO_Andy

Missed Shadowloo Showdown. I'm looking at the Winner's Brackets and it's kinda shameful there aren't any representatives from the west on there. Who did KBrad lose to?

Busaiku

Nintendo finna feel that NPD bump

edit: lol Maybe not. I see from the red strip they're all refurbs.

Even if they were new consoles, they would not be reflected on NPD, since it would not be a sale, but a donation from Nintendo.
Like I was about to make an APEX joke when I realized that.

long wall of good stuff

This is the problem that is and will be haunting Smash: Nintendo's focusing on mechanical gameplay, and not creating content (primarily new worlds) anymore. New ideas are mostly contorted to fit an existing franchise or given the Miiverse treatment. Why? Because games should apparently be about "surprise" and new mechanical twiddlery is surprising.

Surprise clearly is why people still play 2d Mario, Sonic and Mega Man games, right? Or Metroid? No, it's not. Mechanical innovations are at best gimmicks. What you need is enjoyable content (world, music, premise, enemies, etc.) to lure people in, and solid gameplay to keep them hooked.

To put it in other words: Old Nintendo had the idea of a space combat game. They created Starfox. New Nintendo would've made Metroid Starfighter or "Space Combat for Super Nintendo".

You need that stream of new content, actual worlds for Smash to be able to thrive long term. With Nintardo's current mentality, it's just not possible. They've stuffed everything in there already, and new pickings will grow increasingly meager and tortured.

It's why Xenoblade and Metroid Prime and to an extent Mario Galaxy were so highly praised: They had a ton of appealing content and a palpable sense of ambition to them, something entirely missing from games like New Super Mario Bros that just feels really phoned in, even if the gameplay feels better than, say, Galaxy. But Galaxy had the love, and it shows in everything from technical quality to art direction to the soundtrack.

Fighting games as a whole, and 3d ones especially, seem to be stuck in that same mode - there's endless iteration on mechanics, but actual new content is few and far between. What new content there is is becoming increasingly tortured and contrived - see Calibur's story, Lucky Chloe etc. Even mechanically we get weird properties-based lottery machines like Fuerte and Leo.

You can do pretty traditional-feeling mechanical designs in a new content shell, and it should really be done.

fader

With that being said, Brazil and Mexico are one of KOF's biggest markets if not a market that should not be ignored, however, they are forever locked on KOF 98 and KOF 2002 (which are amazing games). KOF 13 in Brazil is practically dead. What do you think they need to do in KOF 14 to attract those fans being that 14 should be the dream match.

Infinite

This is the problem that is and will be haunting Smash: Nintendo's focusing on mechanical gameplay, and not creating content (primarily new worlds) anymore. New ideas are mostly contorted to fit an existing franchise or given the Miiverse treatment. Why? Because games should apparently be about "surprise" and new mechanical twiddlery is surprising.

Surprise clearly is why people still play 2d Mario, Sonic and Mega Man games, right? Or Metroid? No, it's not. Mechanical innovations are at best gimmicks. What you need is enjoyable content (world, music, premise, enemies, etc.) to lure people in, and solid gameplay to keep them hooked.

To put it in other words: Old Nintendo had the idea of a space combat game. They created Starfox. New Nintendo would've made Metroid Starfighter or "Space Combat for Super Nintendo".

You need that stream of new content, actual worlds for Smash to be able to thrive long term. With Nintardo's current mentality, it's just not possible. They've stuffed everything in there already, and new pickings will grow increasingly meager and tortured.

It's why Xenoblade and Metroid Prime and to an extent Mario Galaxy were so highly praised: They had a ton of appealing content and a palpable sense of ambition to them, something entirely missing from games like New Super Mario Bros that just feels really phoned in, even if the gameplay feels better than, say, Galaxy. But Galaxy had the love, and it shows in everything from technical quality to art direction to the soundtrack.

Fighting games as a whole, and 3d ones especially, seem to be stuck in that same mode - there's endless iteration on mechanics, but actual new content is few and far between. What new content there is is becoming increasingly tortured and contrived - see Calibur's story, Lucky Chloe etc. Even mechanically we get weird properties-based lottery machines like Fuerte and Leo.

You can do pretty traditional-feeling mechanical designs in a new content shell, and it should really be done.
You're very wrong there

4r5

re: Mortal Kombat man-jaw

Could they be having trouble modeling females, because they are trying to fit male organs/bones beneath a female skin?

Amedo310

With that being said, Brazil and Mexico are one of KOF's biggest markets if not a market that should not be ignored, however, they are forever locked on KOF 98 and KOF 2002 (which are amazing games). KOF 13 in Brazil is practically dead. What do you think they need to do in KOF 14 to attract those fans being that 14 should be the dream match.

What market? The black/ bootleg market?

.la1n

Honestly, I can't think of any freeze frames you can do for Marvel, Street Fighter, Skullgirls, or Guilty Gear where it looks bad.

You have a point as long as you drop Street Fighter from that list. I don't think you'll need to spend too long on Google to find a Street Fighter IV screen shot where a model looks like ass. Ryu, Ken, and Chun Li being some of the worst offenders.

If Nintendo doesn't add Inkling to Sm4sh after Mewtwo, they're idiots plain and simple.

Honestly, not having them in the game already in anticipation/hype building for Splatoon's release was a missed opportunity to begin with.

Can you imagine if (in a situation with no leaks), the last unlock in a Smash game was a completely new character? People would be like "oh man, who's this" "what are they from", and then they would play them as a character and like their abilities, design, animations and such, all the while thirsting for the announcement of their game, then BOOM you show it and there's already people interested.

sikvod00

Banned
Smug doesn't have a passport yet, does he? I would have liked to see him at SS and other foreign events. He's still so young and already one of America's best, so the sky's the limit for him. Not that I'm confident Team PIE could afford the cost of the trip though. :/

pixelish

Smug doesn't have a passport yet, does he? I would have liked to see him at SS and other foreign events. He's still so young and already one of America's best, so the sky's the limit for him. Not that I'm confident Team PIE could afford the cost of the trip though. :/
he has a passport as he went to last year's canada cup.

alstein

splatoonbarf.jpg

I have a long list of games I'd like to see Lab Zero make, the only fighting game on that list though is SG2.

Won't mind them handling the network stuff though. ;p

Well, I'd love to see them do a card game like say Culdcept as well (not a Hearthstone-type at all).

I would be a very happy man if Sakura never shows up in SF5.

Don't like her, but there are bigger scumbags that I'd never want to see return first, such as Yun.

fader

The FGC doent deserve a man like spooky...

I drove to Toronto like a month ago for CECC2 and needed to present my passport at the Canadian border on the way in.

that's weird. I had a friend who was able to travel back and forth and he didn't have one (i'm pretty sure). I'll have to remember to ask him how he did it.

The FGC doent deserve a man like spooky...

that's weird. I had a friend who was able to travel back and forth and he didn't have one (i'm pretty sure). I'll have to remember to ask him how he did it.

The passport law was revised within the last 5 years iirc

hitsugi

The passport law was revised within the last 5 years iirc

Yeah, it went from a recommendation to a "mandatory" thing. You can still get back into the US but you may have to go through some BS questioning at customs; this all depends on who you run into along the way, of course.

....Passports are not cost-prohibitive and are incredibly easy to obtain so I don't see why anyone wouldn't obtain one as early as possible.

Top Bottom