• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 3-9 | Getting Put On Blast

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Monday is going to be insane for GAF. WWDC, MS conference, Sony conference, Ubisoft conference, EA conference, Capcom's 30th anniversary site timer ending, maybe more I'm missing. I have a meeting right in between the MS and EA conferences though, so I don't think I'll be missing much.

Hey enzo_gt, you were asking about WSO?

http://www.twitch.tv/thewonderpark

For the next eight weeks starting tonight, SF4 and UMvC3 out of the HOG in London. Probably the closest thing to WSO for the time being. If it is popular I would bet the HOG will carry on with these.
Thanks for the heads up. Is this where those players have gravitated? I guess if so then I'll add to OP. Is HoG that new, big London venue that opened up?

notworksafe

Monday is going to be insane for GAF. WWDC, MS conference, Sony conference, Ubisoft conference, EA conference, Capcom's 30th anniversary site timer ending, maybe more I'm missing. I have a meeting right in between the MS and EA conferences though, so I don't think I'll be missing much.
lol WWDC. I wouldn't even expect OT to be open. Not that it'll matter, the site will be down without question.

I'm in CO right now, and my BIL is a big Tekken fan. Played T6 for 5 hours. I did not enjoy it, but also did not really understand it. Kept getting hit on oki, and 360 controller sucks.

Would a diehard T6 fan write an educational post for me? No video, phone data is limited.

Those who know me: who should I be playing? I mostly played Panda because he had good range on his normals and danced funny. Also, I got to say "never say no to Panda" every time I won.

Grecco

I'm in CO right now, and my BIL is a big Tekken fan. Played T6 for 5 hours. I did not enjoy it, but also did not really understand it. Kept getting hit on oki, and 360 controller sucks.

Would a diehard T6 fan write an educational post for me? No video, phone data is limited.

Those who know me: who should I be playing? I mostly played Panda because he had good range on his normals and danced funny. Also, I got to say "never say no to Panda" every time I won.

Jack I think.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
lol WWDC. I wouldn't even expect OT to be open. Not that it'll matter, the site will be down without question.
I think OT will be open. Evilore don't curr bout no 500 errors, they are a part of life.

And never underestimate AppleCultGAF. Those threads are always massive.

kick51

Banned
So, when games get balance patches, it's usually exciting because it's the culmination of months/years of play and research. Then the game changes.

When it's every single week after release, it just makes me not want to play the game until they finish making it.

When's Marvel Monthly.

I rarely talk about marvel in here though so *shrug*

the talk is pretty varied, actually. I've read this thread a lot before i got approved. yes, Marvel is a lot of people's favorite game in the thread, just like it's the most popular on stream, but there's talk of everything. There are always a few guys who come in and drive-by complain about Marvel talk or no talk of X game, but then don't try to start the conversation themselves. They should start the convo or not post at all instead of making everything about to be a conspiracy against their favorite game.

Maybe the OP needs an explicit invitation-- "if you don't see your favorite game being talked about, instead of blaming marvel, start talking about your favorite game." Except less snarky and confrontational haha

kirblar

FGs definitely can't be treated the way you treat SCII/TF2 with regard to patching. There's a balance between "giant updates" (Capcom) and NRS's endless updates, but it hasn't seemed like anyone's quite hit it yet.

kick51

Banned
FGs definitely can't be treated the way you treat SCII/TF2 with regard to patching. There's a balance between "giant updates" (Capcom) and NRS's endless updates, but it hasn't seemed like anyone's quite hit it yet.

Diablo 3 as well. I played it once at launch, then I was like "i'll go back to it after they inevitably patch the hell out of it." Every time I check, it's like "MAJOR balance changes and X, Y, Z coming in the NEXT patch." I can't live without X, Y, Z, so I put it off again.

And now I'm feeling that with Injustice, though it won't be as drastic as a blizzard game, of course.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
the talk is pretty varied, actually. I've read this thread a lot before i got approved. yes, Marvel is a lot of people's favorite game in the thread, just like it's the most popular on stream, but there's talk of everything. There are always a few guys who come in and drive-by complain about Marvel talk or no talk of X game, but then don't try to start the conversation themselves. They should start the convo or not post at all instead of making everything about to be a conspiracy against their favorite game.

Maybe the OP needs an explicit invitation-- "if you don't see your favorite game being talked about, instead of blaming marvel, start talking about your favorite game." Except less snarky and confrontational haha

Do it do it do it do it

DEATH™

Oh T6?

First, there are options for you when getting up... I'll rank them for you. (Not including techrolls)

1. Stand Up (tap up, In tekken notation, u): the most safe way to get up. It's the fastest way too. You can gurad immeadiately either standing or crouching when recovering, so keep this in mind. This is what is recommended most of the time...

2. Sideroll : 1 (left punch) to go to the background or d+1 to roll to the foreground... It dodges linear attacks that would possibly hit you and you can stand up afterwards or follow up with other oki stuff, which don't bother for now...

3. Get-up Kicks: 3 (left kick) for a low kick, 4 (right kick) for a mid kick, and d+4 for a toe kick. do this for aggressive opponents who literraly wants to always attack you even when you're down. get up 3 or 4 gives a low/mid mixup but is punishable in their own right, and the toe kick is a fast low that evades high and mid attacks and halt your opponent's offense but have short range and also punishable. Use them when appropriately.

4. Forward/Backroll: don't bother with this for now until you get the hang of the game... They are extremely punishable and it's easy to form bad habits doing them. Notation is hold forward or backward...

And play Lars... spam up-forward left kick or right kick... profit... Use uf+3 like you use shoryuken...

Enzo's next task: The Tekken roster. :p

Even Tony Stark with his suit army can't fight the whole Tekken roster... We too awesome MWAHAHAHAHA

Joule

The newest Guilty Bits came out a couple days ago. Don't think I saw it posted. This newest one features Anji. Some of the information is specific to ACPR (some of Anji's normals got buffed) so be aware of what's applicable for regular AC.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Relative to MK9, the Injustice patches have been really light on character changes. I'm not sure anyone's found any character changes for the new patch yet, except they seem to have broken Wonder Woman's B3 again lol

Dahbomb

I don't know much about T6 but I do have some fundamentals and words of wisdom that I can share for new Tekken players.

*Default to blocking high (hold back) and try to react to Low attacks. This will only come by experience and once you get hit by one too many lows you will have to train yourself to block them low. Alternatively if you are feeling lucky you can go for a Low Parry which is just down/forward (but you have to slightly time it with their low attack).

*Learn to back dash and forward dash properly. It's not just forward, forward or back, back you have to hold down the last direction input especially for back dash to make sure you block. After the dashes learn to side step from them, so like you can do back, back (hold), side step. Side step is done by tapping up or down slightly, don't hold it down otherwise you will start walking sideways.

*Learn the wake up game and learn it fast. Standard way to get up is just press Up to get up quickly while blocking. When you get knocked to the ground immediately tap 1 to quick roll. If you feel like your opponent is looking for the quick roll, then don't do anything when you fall down. They will throw out a move which will miss and you can press a kick button to immediately get up with a kick, tripping them and getting your own oki on counter hit (this is done by pressing 3 on the ground for a low kick and 4 for a medium kick). Instead of quick rolling you can also quick rise by holding forward as you are falling, this will make you do a flip get up which is very useful if they are on your ass. While lying flat on the ground you have numerous options... you can side roll and then back roll to get out of sticky situations or side roll and press punch to just rise up slowly. You can even do back roll into forward + 1+2 which causes a diving attack on wake up but use this when they aren't expecting it. There are even more wake up options than this but this is enough to get you started. Also note that depending on how you are knocked down (face on the ground, face away from opponent or near them) it also impacts your wake up option. In these situations its better to manually roll with directional inputs until you are in a favorable position including side rolls or back rolls.

*There are 2 basic throws for each character. 1+3 and 2+4. 1+3 throws are countered by pressing 1 and 2+4 throws are countered by 2. Note that throws from various options are different and throwing someone when they are facing away from you is not only untechable but will also do a ton of damage. Throws can be ducked and countered or simply dashed away from. There are some special throws that are only counterable by pressing 1+2 together.

*Running game is its own meta game as well. You press forward 3 times to start running. Once you start running you have a few options. Pressing 3 will do a flying kick with lots of guard stun. Pressing 4 will do a sliding kick that hits low but if blocked you are open to oki mix ups. Pressing 1+2 will do a forward lunge attack which is also pretty good. If you don't do anything at a certain point your character will just tackle them and you can start pressing punches to smash them in the face. These punches can be countered with the appropriate 1 or 2 button press. If the other character is really far away you will just a do a powerful and unblockable shoulder tackle if you don't do anything.

*There are some basic moves that every character has. Down + 1 is the very standard fast crouching poke, good for interrupting people out of moves. D/f +2 is a basic launcher for many characters. U/F + 4 is a standard hop kick that beats low attacks and also gives you a launcher in some cases.

Beyond this you probably need more help/guides and more character specific strats. Too much to cover in a single post. There is no short cut to Tekken.

Quick (lol) things to understand:

-Notation: Left Punch = 1, Right Punch = 2, Left Kick = 3, Right Kick = 4. On a 360 pad that would be X = 1, Y = 2, A = 3, B = 4. Moves generally correspond to the limb of the button you're pressing. This will help you visually memorize what's happening.

-Throws: Universal throws are 1+3 and 2+4. 1+3 throws are broken with 1, 2+4 throws are broken with 2. Easy way to identify what throw is being used on you is to know that 1+3 throws will keep you on the same side (execute a throw on 1P, you'll stay on 1P) and 2+4 throws will switch sides. There are also 1+2 throws but the input for them is character depenedant. They are broken with 1+2. Side throws are broken with the button of the side you're being thrown from (left side throw = 1 break). Back throws are unbreakable. Air throws are unbreakable. Ground throws are breakable (1 or 2). Characters like King have chain throws where they string together different throw animations. You'll have to guess 1 or 2 for each part of the chain (you can jush mash it).

-Offense: The game utilizes a high, low, mid system. In a 2D sense, mids would be overheads. In Tekken though every character has dozens of "overheads" so it is generally not wise to duck unless you know what's coming. Opening up your opponent comes in three basic ways. If they are excessively stand blocking, use lows and throws. If they are excessively ducking, use mids. If they are excessively sidestepping, use homing moves. You can identify homing moves by visually looking at your attack and seeing a white trail/streak following it. This type of move will track every sidestep. There are also several non-homing moves that may track stepping in one direction or sometimes both.

-Defense: Evasiveness and punishment are key. Multihit strings are annoying for beginners to deal with, and you'll be forced to learn how to deal with them. First try blocking stuff and then punishing. Your quickest punish option will be some kind of jab string (1,2 or 2,1 or 1,3, etc). If that doesn't work, see if it part of it is duckable and crouch jab to interrupt it. If not, see if part of it is sidesteppable. If the string has lows in it you can attempt to low parry it by holding down/forward. If that doesn't work then it may just be safe and something you have to deal with. Ideally it's best to space opponents out and try to approach on your own terms. It takes some understanding of your character to do this effectively though.

-Advantage/Disadvantage: A big part of both offense and defense in Tekken is understanding when you are advantage and when you are at disadvantage. A successful attack means you are usually at advantage and and continue to press on. A blocked or whiffed attack means you are usually at disadvantage and you should focus on blocking or evading. There are some moves that are plus on block (jabs, except for Asuka!), and some moves that are minus on hit (many low pokes).

-Movement: A real barrier for getting good in Tekken is understanding and executing proper movement. Darting in and baiting an attack, then causing it to whiff by dashing out is a real big part of the game. However holding back to move backwards is horribly slow, and using backdashes (double tap back) is completely unsafe because you cannot block during a backdash. Thus the backdash cancel, or BDC is needed. By backdashing and then quickly pressing down/back, you will cancel your backdash and open up the ability to quickly block or backdash again, which lets you move backwards much faster. b, b, d/b, b, b, d/b and so on. This can also work with b, b, qcb, but only for characters that don't have a qcb motion stance (Paul, Nina, Bryan can't use this).

-Wakeup: Oki is merciless in this game if you don't know how to get off the ground. The natural instinct is just to backroll (hold back), but it's one of the worst things you could do in most situations. Techrolling is generally the safest option for getting up, by tapping 1 or 3 just before touching the ground to quickly get up. Punch tech rolls to your left and kick tech rolls to your right. Another easy way to get up is simply tapping up. Not the safest, but quick enough to not get murdered. If the opponent stays on top of you, you can use a get-up kick. 3 to perform a low, and 4 to perform a mid. If you are face down the 3 can even start a combo. These are punishable though. Another anti-harrassment tool is to just hold forward while you're falling to the ground to perform a flip-up attack. If you're far enough away you can safely backroll. During a backroll or forward roll you can press 1+2 to do a flying chopblock that is pretty annoying to deal with. Staying on the ground period is also beneficial. Press and hold 1 or down+1 on the ground to roll without getting up. Don't be predictable waking up or else you'll be open to setups.

-Combos: The basic flow of a combo is Launcher, Filler, Bound, Ender. Many but not all characters have a couple generic launchers performed with down/forward+2, up/forward+3 or up/forward+4, latter two being described as hopkicks. There are many more character specific launchers. Filler follows the launcher, which is whatever attacks you wanna throw in there that will work. Bounds are a ground spike move following the filler that will bounce the character on the ground with their feet in the air. While in this state they can still be comboed, which is where you apply your ender. Just more filler attacks here. I don't think the T6 list properly identifies bounds so doing proper combos probably isn't going to happen for you right now without looking up stuff or asking for character help.

The newest Guilty Bits came out a couple days ago. Don't think I saw it posted. This newest one features Anji. Some of the information is specific to ACPR (some of Anji's normals got buffed) so be aware of what's applicable for regular AC.
Too bad we have no clue if we'll even get +R. The video is straight forward about his plusses. Too bad his overdrives are shit. I kinda wish his red butterfly traveled longer and dropped faster too. Dude is crazy fun to play after grinding out his mid-stage and corner shenanigans. My Anji is free as fuck to Baiken though lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Too bad we have no clue if we'll even get +R. The video is straight forward about his plusses. Too bad his overdrives are shit. I kinda wish his red butterfly traveled longer and dropped faster too. Dude is crazy fun to play after grinding out his mid-stage and corner shenanigans. My Anji is free as fuck to Baiken though lol.

A lot of the cast game plans get screwed over by Baiken so don't feel bad :p

you don't need wavedashing.

play Law or Steve.

Joule

If you get the chance to kill with fans overdive, do it. DO IT. Are o dasu ka?! etc. I like his overdrives even if they're not that useful.

FB butterfly gets travel distance buff (about half stage) and travels faster in ACPR if you didn't know. It was a much needed change.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The only change I care about in ACR is the fact ky got his old 6HS back.

jD changes are meh as it butchers his on the fly gameplan changing a bit

But CSE going further is nice though

A lot of the cast game plans get screwed over by Baiken so don't feel bad :p
Part of why I like her so much.

I want to learn Baiken, but all thse FRCs make her pointless with GG's horrible online. Also, I'm having way too much fun with Anji. Reminds me of VSav Lei Lei and her overhead shenanigans. You gotta spend meter for good damage and combos are cool without going into CT or CS territory.
If you get the chance to kill with fans overdive, do it. DO IT. Are o dasu ka?! etc. I like his overdrives even if they're not that useful.

FB butterfly gets travel distance buff (about half stage) and travels faster in ACPR if you didn't know. It was a much needed change.
Fuck yes

I don't use his overdrives much. I like finishing them with Anji's dp grab as a combo ender. Fan death is the best.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What about corner VT loops? They're pretty cool. I agree though having both new and old 6HS is nice.

Haha yeah those are nice of course. He's a bit stronger by himself now *not as reliant on building up the guard bar* but I sorta feel like he lost a small bit of his versatility. He felt pretty perfect in AC to me *well I hated the old 6hs being gone*

I'll probably change my tune about it more over time though.

Deps

Oki) The fundamentals of Tekken oki are simple, but take a lot to master. If you knock your opponent down they can 1. get up 2. stay down 3. try to get away 4. attack you. To beat 1, you use a move to hit them while they are getting up, which will net you a small combo as you float them. To beat 2 you use a move that hits grounded opponents, usually some kind of low or a move with a low hitbox. To beat 3 you either chase after them then mix them up or use a move to hit them during their escape. To beat 4 you either block the attack then punish it, counterhit them by attacking before they get their attack out, or avoid it with a backdash/sidestep/sidewalk and then whiff punishing it. When you are the one knocked down you need to both react to your opponent and think about what they might do. The safest option is to techroll (punches or kicks just as you hit the ground), if you get hit by a hard knockdown (throws are one example) then your best option is to wait until you are hit by an OTG, then techroll the hit on reaction.

Defense) Block high. All of the lows that are dangerous (start combos, do a lot of dmg, etc) can be seen on reaction. Lows that can't be seen on reaction don't lead to much, and many times can even be negative frames on hit, treat them as chip damage. Throws have to be broken on reaction. Left handed throws are broken with 1, right handed throws are broken with 2, throws with two hands are broken with 1+2.

Aside from that, the most important part of Tekken is movement. Use movement to create whiffs and then whiff punish. Sidestep or sidewalk to avoid linear moves or moves that only track in one direction. Sidewalk is better overall, and while you are sidewalking you can cancel it to block if you react to a slow move or cancel it with a move to whiff punish. Backdash to create whiffs or to get away, korean backdash is done with bb, slide to db, release to neutral, b, slide to db, n, b, slide to db and so on. An easy way of doing it is qcb, b, qcb, b, qcb, b. Korean backdash lets you backdash repeatedly. Use forward dash to start an offense or scare your opponent. Dash in then backdash out, they will whiff a move trying to keep you out and you can whiff punish it, etc. Movement is your best defense and offense in Tekken.

Dahbomb

As far as character recommendations go for Karsts... I like Devil Jin. I will just list a few moves and where you can use them.

DEVIL JIN

WGF - SRK + 2

Your standard launcher. It's duckable though so be careful when you throw it out. Space yourself right, look for a whiff move and go in with this. This move has a just frame version called the EWGF but you definitely don't need to learn that at this stage.

Demon Paw - forward, forward + 2
This is like your mid range poke move. Use it when your opponent is just out of reach of your jabs. Don't use this at close range. On counter hit this knocks them back far enough for you to run after them and do some extra run moves. Also causes wall splat so you can start some wall combos (near the wall just do a basic 1, 1, 2 attack).

Flash Punch Combos - 1, 1, 2 or 1, 2, 2

These are your basic bread and butter punching tools at close proximity. Do not underestimate these. Basically at close range you want to be throwing out 1s and confirm on block into 1, 2, 2 or on hit into 1, 1, 2. These can be ducked so be careful. A player with good fundamentals can just use this move plus a couple of mid/low hitting moves to win a game at low level.

Devil Jin also has back + 1, 2 which is also a decent punching move.

Uppercut - While rising + 2 (Twin Pistons while rising 1, 2)

When you anticipate a high move, crouch underneath it and while you are "rising" up simply press 2. This is a very easy and solid launcher to get you started with combo if you need it. You can also use Twin Pistons in this situation.

Tsunami Kicks - D/f + 3,3 or While rising 3, 3

A great move for that distance between your punches and your demon paw. This keeps them honest. Hits mid.

Laser Cannon - back, forward 2, 1, 2 (replacing final 2 with d/f+2 replaces the final Demon Paw with an Uppercut)

This is another mid range move that catches enemy side stepping and hits mid. When you feel like you got someone in a counter hit or hit someone while they were facing away from you, replace final hit with a d/f+2 for a free launcher and you can start your combo. Laser Cannon has the additional benefit for being a move to throw out after launchers or near walls or catching someone rolling.

Twin Lancer - d/f+1, 2

This is similar to the Laser Cannon in that its a great move to throw out at mid range and hits mid. The great thing about this move is that after a launcher throw this out and you will Bound the opponent for more combo opportunity. If nothing else after a WGF you can do baby mode Twin Lancer into back + 1, 2.

Spinning Demon - SRK + 4, 4

This is your standard low hitting with Devil Jin. You want to throw this out when your opponent gets too mid block friendly. You don't want to throw too many of these out. You can combo on counter hit after the first one.

Demon Steel Pedal - b+4

Another great mid range move, good for catching rollers, good for using near walls for causing a wall splat and on CH it can stagger allowing you a combo opportunity. Generally safe on block as well.

Other moves you can try out. Up + 4, 1+2, d/b + 1. For grabs, use your usual 1+2, 2+4 grabs along with forward, forward + 1 + 2.

Top Bottom