• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 3-9 | Getting Put On Blast

The problem was that the NRS crew was behaving like babies and Keits got very defensive on twitter. That being said, they did have one very valid point, in that the 9am Injustice finals were very badly scheduled, especially for a game with one of the largest turnouts/pots of the tournament.

Injustice at UFGT got lower turnout than Divekick, AE and UMvC3. So it was shown before Divekick, AE and UMvC3.

Go figure.

kirblar

Injustice at UFGT got lower turnout than Divekick, AE and UMvC3. So it was shown before Divekick, AE and UMvC3.

Go figure.
Doing a close/open to the players in the tournament was a big issue - they could have swapped the MK9 and Injustice Top 8s to simply let them play it out straight from 16->1 in order to avoid having players play till late in the night, then have to wake up straight away. Granted, many would have been in the MK9 top 8, but much less money/prestige would be on the line, and it'd also allow Injustice the "main event" spot on Saturday.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Timing & details for Rotanibor's Vampire Savior weeklies adjusted in OP. Corrected to Saturday instead of Sunday at a different time.

FGs definitely can't be treated the way you treat SCII/TF2 with regard to patching. There's a balance between "giant updates" (Capcom) and NRS's endless updates, but it hasn't seemed like anyone's quite hit it yet.
I think for NRS it just comes down to their aggressive DLC strategy, which I just praised the other day in the Injustice thread. They've carried momentum incredibly well post-release, better than anyone else has as far as fighting games go.

For me, big updates once a year for maybe a year or two after release should be enough to assess and act on problems, and that can take the form of a retail release/update as well. NRS is far too into the extreme and pretty much the definition of knee jerk. It discourages players a lot from investing into the system, and that's a bad thing IMO.

Ono is the new Inafune for Capcom.
This is a pretty apt comparison.

This is the same NRS scene that's boycotting CEO now, though. I guess they just don't like tournaments period.
WTF they're boycotting CEO? Over what? Pool timing?

I thought tournaments were supposed to be about going out to play first and foremost and then worrying about the small, insignificant details later; if they are legitimate concerns in the first place. Way to try and kill your own community.

WTF they're boycotting CEO? Over what? Pool timing?

I thought tournaments were supposed to be about going out to play first and foremost and then worrying about the small, insignificant details later; if they are legitimate concerns in the first place. Way to try and kill your own community.

Supposedly over the stage selection rules. The Chicago guys anyway.

Deps

Thanks for all the info guys!

Dahbomb knows my taste. I don't want a character that's easy, I want one that is interesting enough to sit down and learn.

Characters that I tried and thought were interesting:
King
Armor king (difference?)
Devil Jin
Jack-s (makes weird chicken noises)
Panda
Raven (does he have a projectile?)
Alisa

Who is the best at baiting attacks?

So many inputs to learn...

Armor King is pretty different from King. King is a grappler with a lot of tricks. Armor King is best played as a basic footsie/spacing character with some really good throws for mixup.

How good someones movement is determines how good they are at baiting attacks. You can google backdash/sidestep tierlists if you want, but its best to try the characters movement yourself. Like Jack6 for example. Jack6 has a good backdash so he can bait well using horizontal movement, but at the same time Jack6 is huge so he can't avoid much using vertical movement.

Out of the characters you listed, Jack6/Alisa are the best at baiting attacks. They both can also be played like 2D characters (somewhat) and rely on a lot of poking and spacing. They're pretty simple to learn while still having depth.

Exclamation point = unblock able?

Yep and they're all very slow or can be ducked under on reaction. Though there are setups for them on oki, like if you techroll a specific move or something you might get up into an unblockable.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey ZTS who's better at Tekken you or AAK?
Stop_Snitching_figures45992a38-b6db-4307-ae8d-994b72aff5c10000_20100625230949_640_480.JPG

Thanks for all the info guys!

Dahbomb knows my taste. I don't want a character that's easy, I want one that is interesting enough to sit down and learn.

Characters that I tried and thought were interesting:
King
Armor king (difference?)
Devil Jin
Jack-s (makes weird chicken noises)
Panda
Raven (does he have a projectile?)
Alisa

Who is the best at baiting attacks?

So many inputs to learn...

FWIW in my mind I was thinking Alisa, Raven, Jack, Feng and Lee for you, but hesitated.

King and Armor King are quite different. King you may find more interesting as his game has a bit more nuance. AK has a smaller set of usuable tools that makes him easier to pick up but harder to get better with as you go along. With King you'd want to play towards his throw game since he has so many good ones, and with Armor King you'd want to play more of a straight up poke and punish style game (AK has some good throws too though).

Jack is easy to pick up and play. Short and simple combos but deals big damage. Has really long arms that lets you play a keepout style. Lacks side to side mobility so learning how to play "in 3D" isn't as critical with him.

Kuma/Panda are also similar to Jack in many ways. Strong backdash, lacking sidestep, long upper limbs. Excellent punishment tools. Their body shape alone can cause some lows to whiff. One thing to note about them (and Jack) is that their size makes them very vulnerable to high damage combos at the wall. People can hit them with stuff that will only work on them.

Raven is a tricky character. Getting familiar with his backturn stance (Labyrinth stance, aka SDW) is pretty important to using him; learning which moves transition into it and his safest options to get out of it if necessary. He's probably best played in a hit and run style (at least that's what the strategy guide tells me). Not that strong of a character on the tier lists, but no one is unusuable in this game. Does not have a projectile, but he does have some interesting teleport options.

Alisa has very strong pokes and a crazy good backdash in T6. She can be fun to mess around with if you like flying around and being annoying, but I think to play her "properly" requires lots of turtling. If that's what you like go for it.

Devil Jin has all of the tools. Solid all around character, one of the best in the game. He's a mishima, which means to really excel with him you'd need to spend lots of time dedicating yourself to his movement. He can still be fun to use at a lower level though. Combos are a bit hard.

If/when you settle in on someone, don't force yourself to learn each and every move of the character. Every character has a solid 10-15 moves that are all you really need, the rest are either very situational or just trollish moves. If you do decide to go through all of the moves though, figure out how to deal with them defensively first and foremost. It'll save you some headaches when playing real people.

CurlyW

In our minds when making the schedule, being on the main stage was preferable to being on the side stage and finishing on Sunday was preferable to finishing on Saturday. Given that Injustice had the 4th-most entrants, we decided to give it what we felt was the 4th-best position in the lineup, 9am on Sunday on the main stage. Obviously, not everybody had the same opinion as us about that time slot. I respect a lot of what the NRS community has to say, and I actually went to go and talk with the GGA guys on Tuesday last week. While all the vile comments are deplorable, I feel that the real NRS community (not the internet troll community) has some fair and legitimate points. (Unlike Fanatiq, Flash, and Knives, all of whom were simply upset at not getting the special treatment they're used to.) However, what's done is done and I wish we could just move on. Nothing's going to change what happened and all I can do is to promise to try to hold a tournament in the future that is more acceptable.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OBS is not going to be around by the end of tonight. Homeboy Tyson is too real for this shit.

fingers in every little hole man

Top Bottom