• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Thores

Is there a Combo Breaker thread yet?

I'm on my way there now! I'll be in brackets for USF4 and Mystery Game. Pretty pumped!

Skilletor

Yay, with the news of USF4 stick compatibility, that is the death knell for 360s at local tournaments. Hope that shit gets phased out SUPER fast.

I don't think Ryu or Akuma would be into augmentations.

Ahem

RVKUrZt.png

I wish KI wasn't Xbone only. Game has a lot of cool characters/ideas, but I'm not buying a console for 1 game.
I wish fighting games had a discounted "offline only, training mode only" version with all the characters. There are some games I have no desire to play at all at home, but when that station is open at locals...I want to jump in and have fun. I would pay $10 for UNIEL and $10 for P4AU if I could just have the training mode.

Sometimes I wish training mode appealed to me.

EDIT: rephrasing. I wish it appealed to me the way it appeals to the people who actually enjoy sitting in there for hours. I can't understand it, myself.

jerry1594

skullgirls should of hired Iron Galaxy for their character designs.
Alex Ahad is one of the two people that made the game exist, it wouldn't be that simple. Maybe it would be better recieved if it played up the horror a bit more and wasn't crammed with such a random aesthetic and references to everything.

Gambit61

Anyone here have the Hori Fighting Commander 4? Would it be safe to buy the Japanese version from PlayAsia? I'd order it from Amazon but they've been sold out since it launched lol. Also, the controllers are region free right? I plan on using it for Tekken on PS3 and my 2D games/MKX on PC.

Alex Ahad is one of the two people that made the game exist, it wouldn't be that simple. Maybe it would be better recieved if it played up the horror a bit more and wasn't crammed with such a random aesthetic and references to everything.
I can understand not liking the aesthetic, because I'm not a huge fan of it myself (it has grown on me), but I don't understand calling the aesthetic "random". Everything feels pretty coherent.

fader

I agree, I just feel the game is just saturated with fan service. I mean I kinda enjoy the film theme to a degree but a lot of the pseudo-anime aesthetic just clash with the character designs horribly. I would like to see a more horror element on a lot of the characters though, I could only imagine how Fillia, Painwheel or Ms Fortune would look. Especially once you learn a lot of the story, like holy shit. It's pretty dark at times then you have this colorful cheery anime look and it's just ugh... such a waste... I don't mind the character idea's just the anime aesthetic to them.

YoungOne

Anyone here have the Hori Fighting Commander 4? Would it be safe to buy the Japanese version from PlayAsia? I'd order it from Amazon but they've been sold out since it launched lol. Also, the controllers are region free right? I plan on using it for Tekken on PS3 and my 2D games/MKX on PC.
Yea, controllers are region free ordered mines from PlayAsia. It's a good controller.

I love KI its a great game. I just wish the xbox pad didn't suck so bad and I really don't want to buy a new stick. If it ever does get ported to pc I know I will put alot more time in the game.

El Sloth

Banned
Was looking over the loketest changes for Yuzuriha...
Dustloop said:
Force Function has been given a name - Twin Moon's One-handed Sword-drawing Arts Third Type: Sever (双月一刀流抜刀術参之型: 截, Sougetsu Ittou-ryuu Battou Jutsu San-no-Kata: Setsu )
Force Function is now Air OK
Now has 4 stance icons. One for D button as well.
-> "D-cancel" (button switching on stance) removed.
Slide and D+button stance options seem confirmed removed
Overall damage nerfed
No good way to use aerial FF
Yaei'ichirin (214X) seems to have increased recovery

lol what the hell did Yuzu do to deserve all this? Hope it doesn't stick.

Crocodile

I can understand not liking the aesthetic, because I'm not a huge fan of it myself (it has grown on me), but I don't understand calling the aesthetic "random". Everything feels pretty coherent.

Yeah there is a pretty big difference between a fusion style (and lets be honest pretty much all artists have multiple influences that shape their own style) and "random". Just for those curious, Ahad talks about some of his influences here.

I agree, I just feel the game is just saturated with fan service. I mean I kinda enjoy the film theme to a degree but a lot of the pseudo-anime aesthetic just clash with the character designs horribly. I would like to see a more horror element on a lot of the characters though, I could only imagine how Fillia, Painwheel or Ms Fortune would look. Especially once you learn a lot of the story, like holy shit. It's pretty dark at times then you have this colorful cheery anime look and it's just ugh... such a waste... I don't mind the character idea's just the anime aesthetic to them.

How much more grotesque do you want Painwheel to be? Shit Fortune has blood spilling out of her and exposed muscles and sinew in lots of her animations and actions. I don't think you can go much further than Skullgilrs did without raising the rating to M. As an example, I think it was to the benefit of the Darkstalkers cast that they still kept things cartoony even whilst going for the horror vibe and didn't go for full gross-out.

fader

How much more grotesque do you want Painwheel to be? Shit Fortune has blood spilling out of her and exposed muscles and sinew in lots of her animations and actions. I don't think you can go much further than Skullgilrs did without raising the rating to M. As an example, I think it was to the benefit of the Darkstalkers cast that they still kept things cartoony even whilst going for the horror vibe and didn't go for full gross-out.

ummm.... I'm not asking for grotesque, I'm just not a fan of the Loony Toon - Anime look of the characters. I only mentioned horror elements just as a throwaway armchair comment. Darkstalkers just has a superior aesthetic to the characters than Skullgirls because although it's "cartoony" it has a style that doesn't clash with the character designs.

Crocodile

ummm.... I'm not asking for grotesque, I'm just not a fan of the Loony Toon - Anime look of the characters. I only mentioned horror elements just as a throwaway armchair comment. Darkstalkers just has a superior aesthetic to the characters than Skullgirls because although it's "cartoony" it has a style that doesn't clash with the character designs.

Perhaps I misunderstood you then, sorry. I personally don't agree that there is a clash of styles, I think they go together well but its fine if you think that. But then again I've been a fan of a wide range of Western and Eastern styles so I don't really see it as a combination of one thing I like and one thing I dislike but rather two things I like.

Azure J

Was looking over the loketest changes for Yuzuriha...

lol what the hell did Yuzu do to deserve all this? Hope it doesn't stick.

I shouldn't knee jerk since I haven't played UNIEL ever, but Yuzu is the character I want to play most (the bae) and as such, I hope this isn't game breaking for her.

Top Bottom