• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

I think many people interested in how 2D fighters can be merged to 3D would be interested in this, and could possible give some people insight on how Street Fighter characters maty work in TXSF. You can sidestep in this game, and the command is similar to rolling in KOF except into the foreground or background (you can technically play it as a pure 2d fighter if you guys never sidestep at all). Fireballs are actually pretty useable in this game, even though people think projectiles would be easy to sidestep in 3d. They seem to have a decently wide hitbox, so you can't sidestep at the last second. Jumping works like KOF and you have different arcs, but feels slightly more like a 3D game in it's weight (weird thing to say but maybe when you play it you can feel the difference. Feels floatier than say KOF13 when you hop or jump) There are also chains and natural combos that players have, so it's not like you need to hit links or anything to do damage. I played it at a local when someone brought it to the session, so someone who probably owned the game might expand on it a but better.

El Sloth

Banned
I shouldn't knee jerk since I haven't played UNIEL ever, but Yuzu is the character I want to play most (the bae) and as such, I hope this isn't game breaking for her.
Wouldn't know tbh, but Solune (who plays Yuzu) was pretty bummed about it. It's still just a loketest so maybe no reason to panic yet, but yeah.

So something good actually came out of the creation of Skullgirls?
umm wat?
skullgirls should of hired Iron Galaxy for their character designs.
no just... no
I agree, I just feel the game is just saturated with fan service. I mean I kinda enjoy the film theme to a degree but a lot of the pseudo-anime aesthetic just clash with the character designs horribly. I would like to see a more horror element on a lot of the characters though, I could only imagine how Fillia, Painwheel or Ms Fortune would look. Especially once you learn a lot of the story, like holy shit. It's pretty dark at times then you have this colorful cheery anime look and it's just ugh... such a waste... I don't mind the character idea's just the anime aesthetic to them.
Filia is a schoolgirl, Painwheel is plenty fucked up as it is and Ms. Fortune was a joke character from the start. Her name is a freaking pun lol. Parasoul, Bella and Filia all fall into the portion of the cast that isn't really trying to play up the horror aspect which makes sense considering their many Guilty Gear and Marvel vs Capcom inspired moves.
Was looking over the loketest changes for Yuzuriha...

lol what the hell did Yuzu do to deserve all this? Hope it doesn't stick.
She'll be crap when I finally play the ASW published PC port in 2020.
Yeah there is a pretty big difference between a fusion style (and lets be honest pretty much all artists have multiple influences that shape their own style) and "random". Just for those curious, Ahad talks about some of his influences here.

How much more grotesque do you want Painwheel to be? Shit Fortune has blood spilling out of her and exposed muscles and sinew in lots of her animations and actions. I don't think you can go much further than Skullgilrs did without raising the rating to M. As an example, I think it was to the benefit of the Darkstalkers cast that they still kept things cartoony even whilst going for the horror vibe and didn't go for full gross-out.
Yeah, Ahad was doing for Dark Deco with a splash of the more comedic Darkstalkers humor that on it's own can be pretty macrabe and grotesque. Everything you listed comes from that.
ummm.... I'm not asking for grotesque, I'm just not a fan of the Loony Toon - Anime look of the characters. I only mentioned horror elements just as a throwaway armchair comment. Darkstalkers just has a superior aesthetic to the characters than Skullgirls because although it's "cartoony" it has a style that doesn't clash with the character designs.
That sets it apart from Guilty Gear's anime and Darkstalkers own Japanese take on classic horror. I'll agree that Darkstalkers' aesthetic is superior, but I like that SG went for it's own thing in gameplay and art. It looked for it's own art style and tag team niche because at the end of the day nothing Lab Zero does will make Skullgirls Guilty Gear XXX, Darkstalkers IV or Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Rhapsody

Banned
Was looking over the loketest changes for Yuzuriha...

lol what the hell did Yuzu do to deserve all this? Hope it doesn't stick.

We'll see how it turns out. I feel like they're simplifying her so they (new players to the character) don't have to learn all the weird stuff and then eventually buff her to balance it out. She's one of those characters where we'll have to wait and see how it ends up.

Anyone want to play UNIEL right now?

Edit: nvm

fader

11763468.jpg

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Well, at least I don't have to worry about wasting time and energy responding to another post.

let the chaos control you. btw, rolento is fucking hard to learn how to space with. i honestly not fast enough to pull off the block strings/frametraps really good rolento players do. plus, pogo stick is hard to control, that lack of momentum and speed of the mini jump is too much for poor me ;_;

vocab

Rolento in USFIV is probably the clunkiest version of him period. Even SFXT Rolento felt more fluid and fun to play with. One of my favorite characters is basically unplayable.

fader

Rolento in USFIV is probably the clunkiest version of him period. Even SFXT Rolento felt more fluid and fun to play with. One of my favorite characters is basically unplayable.

USF4 Rolento is definitely the.... weirdest? Like holy shit, he almost makes me miss cvs2 Rolento
almost...

but I mostly blame the environment he is in than anything

Anne

Ogawa Tierlist 22.5.15

S : Sol, Millia, Zato, Axl, Faust ,Sin ,El
A : Ky, May, Chipp, Ino, Bedman, Leo
B : Venom, Slayer, Ram
C : Pot

It's not ordered within tiers btw, he said like 2 weeks ago Zato/Millia/Elphelt are the best. If Ogawa's past lists are any indication, he bases strength around "how well can you deal with top tier bullshit".

Anne

Ogawa comments:

SOL: Personally, I think he's the 4th best in S tier. He's stable, Fafnir and 6H's damage was raised.

MAY: Since she's not strongly represented in Kantou I'm not that sure, but ball is strong, she's probably barely A

FAUST: I'm troubled, not sure if he's S or A. Well, tentatively S

LEO: Personally, A, but he's probably lower because he has a lot of bad matchups like millia, axl, faust, zato, ky and sin

POT: well... you could say he's B, he did get a lot of buffs

BEDMAN: 2S being jump cancellable and Task B knocking down are huge. He became more stable and since everybody's damage is lower, he got better

AXL: Resen YRC, Rensen range buff, 2H (knockdown on CH and range buff) and 5P and general normal buffs, stance buffs, and j.D buff is strong, j.D untech time got lengthened, so midscreen he can do SHD, high jump again and continue the combo. His neutral game is strong

MILLIA: She got considerably weaker system-wise, but she's still S tier because her offense is strong. Bad moon, iron savior and digitalis are more punishable now. Her neutral game is still strong (ogawa also said something that i didn't fully get: but the removal of SOMETHING I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND, and the ability to YRC bursts made her weaker)

There aren't big gaps between tiers. Balance is good, what's important in this version are matchups

shouts to GreatFernMan https://twitter.com/GREATFERNMAN

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm sure you'll cope :p

Faust demoted to "I dunno if he's S or A tier" status by Ogawa though. Finally, I can be the low tier hero the world deserves.

BROTHER!!!!
For some odd reason, characters I like end up being rated as S tier in a game and people then shit on me for it lol ;_;

fader

Ogawa Tierlist 22.5.15

It's not ordered within tiers btw, he said like 2 weeks ago Zato/Millia/Elphelt are the best. If Ogawa's past lists are any indication, he bases strength around "how well can you deal with top tier bullshit".

Well, nice knowing you Ram...

Helloooo Millia.... It's been a while :)

petghost

Banned
Well he takes 8 years of college to even play him.

Dunno bout xrd but learning venom isn't super hard cuz you don't have to understand all his formations at once...most of his most useful ball sets are 1 or 2 balls then you just gotta learn his stinger frcs and a charge trick or two like hold 3 while dashing to store carcass raid and the rest kinda follows from that. Hes got good pokes and some nice pressure so he is real solid at a basic level.

Zissou

BROTHER!!!!
For some odd reason, characters I like end up being rated as S tier in a game and people then shit on me for it lol ;_;

Faust is the highest tier char I've played seriously... but to be fair, when I was trying to figure out what character to play, I literally asked fighting GAF "who is good and lame?" haha

Onemic

Back with a vengeance.

Toryuken was fun as hell. For my first tourny ever I think I did pretty good going 2 - 2. Learned a lot and I'm for sure gonna go to Canada Cup now. I hope I face Daigo or something for my first match just to see how it is to play such a high level player.

Ogawa Tierlist 22.5.15

Knew Ram got destroyed with that neutral nerf. Well, back to Sin I go :D

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Ok, after my rough training montage, I should be able to have what it takes to compete in my local SF tournament tomorrow. My Adon has the fanciest charge moves, yet my worst match ups are makoto, ryu, blanka, honda, and juri. Hopefully nobody picks ryu or his evil variant.
im screwed.

Anne

SHARON'S TIER LIST:
S: Sol, Millia, Zato, Axl, Faust, Sin, Elphelt, I-no
A: Ky, May, Chipp, Slayer, Bedman, Leo, Venom
B: Ram
C: Pot

Comments:

SOL: Sol player's say he's stronger than in the previous version. S tier.

KY: A or B, let's say A.

MAY: She got stronger, but her matchups... well I'll agree with Ogawa, A tier.

CHIPP: I think many player's don't know whether to put him in S or A, there aren't many Chipp players so... well, A tier.

POT: Ah, Ogawa put him in C, sounds right to me. He's not weaker than he was before though.

I-NO: I think she's S tier. She wasn't weak and she got stronger. ...well like I said before she's stronger than last version: (something i don't understand), 2S moving her forward more, 2D being easier to use and note being easier to meaty with (not sure if i got this right) are good. She's strong.

BEDMAN:people say this character is probably A tier, but I think he has the potential to rise in tiers, maybe to S tier. For now let's say A

VENOM: Venom players seem to be struggling this version, but character potential wise, he got stronger, only buffs I think, so A sounds right.

Again shouts to https://twitter.com/GREATFERNMAN for being awesome and translating these interviews.

what neutral nerf ?

You can hit sword summons before they swing to deactivate them.

Shackzam

Did alright in mkx pools, almost made it out. Got to losers final and eliminated Cossner in the process. Lost to Forever King jr :\. Pretty cool experience overall, pools felt like a mess when it came to picking stream matches and would just delay whatever pool the match was from.

I gotta ask. How is EXVS considered a fighting game? From all the streams I've watched from it, including this one, it looks like a third person shooter with a lock on system.

well it does have meter management, spacing, and zoning. Shouta could probably go more in depth about the footsies. But I know that the game lives on meter management.

I gotta ask. How is EXVS considered a fighting game? From all the streams I've watched from it, including this one, it looks like a third person shooter with a lock on system.
Well if you remove the melee element of the game, it's there it's just not optimal, the game is still about reading the behaviour and decision making of your opponent.

It doesn't have the standard shooter design elements of map layout, navigating the map, spawn locations, camping locations, choke points, weapon spawns, power ups.

In EXVS you are pretty much actively engaged in fighting your opponent at all time, most actions outside of movement leave you exposed to get hit/punished. Bad movement will get you as well. It's not about reflexes, aiming, or getting the first headshot. It is still about reading the actions of your opponents, anticipating their actions and behaviour, applying pressure. I guess another thing to mention is that everything is governed by meters, it doesn't have the freedom of movement of shooters. You are limited as to how much you can move by a meter bar, how many attacks you can throw out is limited by ammou count/meters, attacks can't be cancelled into each other without spending some kind of a meter unless they are specifically designed to be cancellable.

It looks like a shooter because the most optimal way to play is to zone heavily and play keep away. It's a game where you will die before you get through the wall of fire a zoner is throwing out. There are a ton of conventions present in this game that you can find in fighting games. Its just the optimal play style, the high tier of play obfuscates a lot of it.

Final Edit: It's also played on arcade cabinets, with an arcade joystick and button layout. If that counts for anything.

Anne

It's part of the little "arena" (I dunno the proper term) subgenre of fighters.

Onemic

Well if you remove the melee element of the game, it's there it's just not optimal, the game is still about reading the behaviour and decision making of your opponent.

It doesn't have the standard shooter design elements of map layout, navigating the map, spawn locations, camping locations, choke points, weapon spawns, power ups.

In EXVS you are pretty much actively engaged in fighting your opponent at all time, most actions outside of movement leave you exposed to get hit/punished. Bad movement will get you as well. It's not about reflexes, aiming, or getting the first headshot. It is still about reading the actions of your opponents, anticipating their actions and behaviour, applying pressure. I guess another thing to mention is that everything is governed by meters, it doesn't have the freedom of movement of shooters. You are limited as to how much you can move by a meter bar, how many attacks you can throw out is limited by ammou count/meters, attacks can't be cancelled into each other without spending some kind of a meter unless they are specifically designed to be cancellable.

It looks like a shooter because the most optimal way to play is to zone heavily and play keep away. It's a game where you will die before you get through the wall of fire a zoner is throwing out. There are a ton of conventions present in this game that you can find in fighting games. Its just the optimal play style, the high tier of play obfuscates a lot of it.

Final Edit: It's also played on arcade cabinets, with an arcade joystick and button layout. If that counts for anything.

Ah, so its Arturo and fcahmps dream FG. :p

I get you though. A game based on pure zoning and keep away. Its hard to tell when someone is getting hit or missing though

Oh and one of the teams just setup an unblockable to win the match. Lol.

Because blocking is not omi-directinoal and the attack's "hitbox" or whatever spawned behind the area the block was covering, lolololo.

started playing again the last day or so
rust is still there but i broke through my PP cap of ~650 and got to 903 tonight
promised myself if i can break 3000 by september i'm going to book a flight to toronto and go to the canada cup for shits and giggles

Top Bottom