• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Piccoro

Just wanted to share a pic of the awesomeness that is Project X Zone 2, guys!

original.jpg

ElTopo

Banned
$200. no tax.

Hey Markman, are Madcatz ever going to release a good fighting game controller? I just want a GOOD Saturn-style D-pad with 4 triggers (I play with my thumb on the buttons and index fingers on the triggers). Hori has done a fantastic job of doing just that aside from the cheap rubber membrane they use.

Can anybody who was at Toryuken explain the DOA situation where the last few matches were to be streamed and then it got just shuffled off to the side?

I know the TOs are not receptive to DOA but maybe somebody here has a better picture?

The power in the area died a few times, so the schedule got set back and DOA was cut because there wasn't enough time.

fader

I would say Biscuits opened himself up even before Gamergate. His opinions on anita sarkeesian and how he expressed his opinions on her really kinda opened my (and a lot of other people's) eyes to him.

Anne

I popped into the "I'm old and can't play stuff anymore" thread and I got a laugh at how many people said fighting games. So many said "I was so good at my arcade back then, now I go online and lose". Says a lot about how far the player bases have gone over time, really curious what the skill of average players was back then compared to now.

mbpm1

I popped into the "I'm old and can't play stuff anymore" thread and I got a laugh at how many people said fighting games. So many said "I was so good at my arcade back then, now I go online and lose".

Was Tomo Ohira there

I would say Biscuits opened himself up even before Gamergate. His opinions on anita sarkeesian and how he expressed his opinions on her really kinda opened my (and a lot of other people's) eyes to him.

Expressing a negative opinion on someone pretty much just coming drive-by to sling shit on a medium you hold dear with poor videos and in many places contorted narrative is somehow bad?

LegatoB

Gosh, if only there were a way people could play each other from a far...

It's not the distance, or lack of arcades that's the problem.

It's the attitude. Actively WILLING other games to die. Being ENCOURAGED to will other games to die by the community itself. Dropping games when they aren't as popular anymore. Not even TRYING new games when they come out.

It's not a good look.
You can only be The Setup Candyman for so long before you realize that you're trying to sustain something that simply isn't working. If there's an attitude of players trying to kill games, it's because they know there aren't the resources to support it, whether those resources are venue space, an active and interested player base, SETUPS AT ALL in the case of import anime games, etc. People don't have an infinite amount of time and interest to spend on their hobbies.

I don't think it's that players really, truly "want" games to die. It's that they know the margins are just that thin. If you get 6 people who regularly play Non SF4 Game at your locals, and a couple of them drop out due to work/school/frustration with skill level (theirs or others'), that's a wrap. Especially if one of them is the one always bringing out a setup. You can only watch that happen so many times.

I don't think we disagree about the resulting situation being bad. I just think you've confused cause and effect. It's not "player attitudes" that make the environment, it's the environment that shapes player attitudes. I don't know how you fix that. I don't know if you CAN fix that.

mbpm1

I don't think we disagree about the resulting situation being bad. I just think you've confused cause and effect. It's not "player attitudes" that make the environment, it's the environment that shapes player attitudes. I don't know how you fix that. I don't know if you CAN fix that.

I think it's both.

fader

Expressing a negative opinion on someone pretty much just coming drive-by to sling shit on a medium you hold dear with poor videos and in many places contorted narrative is somehow bad?

so many things wrong with this post but this is not the thread to get into this.

Beckx

so many things wrong with this post but this is not the thread to get into this.

co-signed on all points.

----------------

Lone Dragon: I don't think the issues you're identifying are FGC specific, but really gaming culture in general.

----------------------

re: "I was better at these games back in the day" is also something you here about every genre and isn't really a surprise, but it's not very surprising in fighting games specifically where long combos, high character counts and the resulting need for detailed matchup knowledge have increased the time commitment to get good. When you only have 8 characters and the basic gameplay loop is one or two hits or a special move, it's easier to acquire the basic knowledge and not surprising that 20 years later it feels like you're looking at a different world. (Not saying either is better than the other...just that it's not surprising.)

Anne

I don't think it's that players really, truly "want" games to die. It's that they know the margins are just that thin. If you get 6 people who regularly play Non SF4 Game at your locals, and a couple of them drop out due to work/school/frustration with skill level (theirs or others'), that's a wrap. Especially if one of them is the one always bringing out a setup. You can only watch that happen so many times.

This happened to TN anime recently. We were basically split between 2 main cities being Nashville/City B(don't wanna name too many names :v) with 3 guys from another city that would come down. A couple years ago you'd expect most people from the different towns to show up, we're about an hour and a half apart and it's not too bad.

Then people started getting fed up. The main TO stopped playing fighting games, a player from another city started getting into it, and welp. TO quit, so I started TOing and running stuff and it was okay for a bit, then soon after City B started getting messed up. The main guy running stuff in City B graduated college and started working, and one other dude dropped out of games for personal reasons. All it took for that entire city of players (somewhere around 10 guys maybe) to stop cold turkey.

Between Nashville having 1 figurehead drop and City B dying thanks to 1 or 2 people dropping out, we lost 10+ players which is over half our scene of active players in a couple months. Now it's a small handful of like 5-6 Nashville players(one of which moved from City B) barely scraping by to get stuff to happen.

I'm trying to drum up ranbats for Xrd with the local arcade sponsoring us, he's sponsored us before to try and help out and keep running stuff, but it's still rough.There are still people around Nashville playing and doing things, but travelling died, local tournaments are all a wash, and it's more or less a competitive stand still.

New blood or some other form of competition smashing through the door would be a godsend, but I admit Idk how to find people to get involved like that. The local University has a fighting game club but they never wanna come hang out with the arcade rats :<

Edit: I will elaborate on the huge frustrating side effect of players dropping is the skill gaps and the mind numbing effect of playing the same 1-2 people forever. The skill gap is a huge problem to be honest. Like if you want to get into Persona here, you'll run into me Aigis-ing you into oblivion or the one other good Narukami creaming you, or you will play somebody who doesn't know a combo. Nothing in between. Same thing in BB, only people who will run shit on you, or people who don't do combos or use barrier. UNiEL started out kinda tight and had like 16~ people tournaments for a month or two, but I've won all the ones I've entered with the same 2-3 people right behind me or winning the ones I'm not at. You either fight us, who will kill you off one mistake, or again people who don't know BnBs. There's no middle ground. What sucks about UNiEL is there's one other player who likes to go super hard in that game here, but me and him have played the same 7-3 MU probably 1000 times, so after like 5 games we just look at each other and shrug. We try flipping around games, we try picking new characters, we encourage players to learn more and try to help and do what we can, but that gap basically kills everybody's motivation to play consistently. Nobody likes free wins, nobody likes getting their back blown out.

So like there's that. In SF4 land, there's always a set up, and always a wide range of skill levels to play, so it's easier to accommodate people in a way to have fun. In anime land, the situation I just laid out is actually super common, and without that everyday drive to play and improve, people just stagnate until there's a regional; where all the stagnation meets in one spot and the few people who went hard bump against each other and realize they have shit to work on, but they go back to the stagnant hometown afterwards until it's time again. It's also worth noting in SF4 land, if somebody drops, you probably only have to wait weeks to months for a replacement to pop up. In anime that wait is months to years.

That's what it's like to play non-Capcom games in a lot of regions that didn't get lucky and just have a scene survive through a lot of bullshit.

Was a lot easier to play back then, nothing in SFII comes close to an DP FADC Ultra for example.

Plus at arcades you didn't have peple resort to lame ass shitty practices because they had to look at people in the face afterwards.

Nah, I think it's more about the average player knowing what a foosie is or knowing how to FADC. There was wild ass shit to learn to do or deal with going back to ST, just your average masher didn't know it.

I will not argue that arcades are much nicer these days, I run all the dumbest shit and have only been threatened a couple times. I know of people who took baseball bats upside the head or had weapons drawn on them back then lmao.

I popped into the "I'm old and can't play stuff anymore" thread and I got a laugh at how many people said fighting games. So many said "I was so good at my arcade back then, now I go online and lose". Says a lot about how far the player bases have gone over time, really curious what the skill of average players was back then compared to now.

Was a lot easier to play back then, nothing in SFII comes close to an DP FADC Ultra for example.

Plus at arcades you didn't have peple resort to lame ass shitty practices because they had to look at people in the face afterwards.

CPS2

I think the only video of total biscuit I've seen was when there was a thread asking if there's really a difference between on-disc dlc and amiibos or whatever, and here's this dude with his leather gloves and ponytail talking about his doll collection which unlocks on-disc dlc.

fader

no, no, no no...

a game's difficulty does not really matter in terms of the pool of competition in this situation (albeit I will STRONGLY argue SF2 is more difficult than SF4). The level of play really was not all that high in general back then in America because information travels to fast in our day and age. We will never get another Justin Wong reign or Eddie Lee because people will quickly catch up. I mean, look at today, whenever you think one player is dominant he get's taken down really fast (sure he still remains at the top but he's not the omnipotent "king"). Also, you have to take into consideration that foreign players really did not travel to the states much back then only for special occasions and when they started coming over here, they imported a higher level of play.

also, "lame ass tactics" evolved from the arcade. You had people literally shaking machines in hopes that you will drop a combo or they would shit talk you to your face right next to you to make you nervous. Trust me, these tactics existed even during the arcade age.

Nah, I think it's more about the average player knowing what a foosie is or knowing how to FADC. There was wild ass shit to learn to do or deal with going back to ST, just your average masher didn't know it.

I will not argue that arcades are much nicer these days, I run all the dumbest shit and have only been threatened a couple times. I know of people who took baseball bats upside the head or had weapons drawn on them back then lmao.

I've known people who had a knife pulled on them and who were jumped outside the arcade after beating someone. You had to tread softly on who you beat and how you talk back then. shit was crazy.

Seyavesh

In anime land, the situation I just laid out is actually super common, and without that everyday drive to play and improve, people just stagnate until there's a regional; where all the stagnation meets in one spot and the few people who went hard bump against each other and realize they have shit to work on, but they go back to the stagnant hometown afterwards until it's time again.

this is the absolute most painful thing there is in terms of trying to be competitive
it kills scenes, it kills everyone's drive, it really is just god awful to experience firsthand

it also confirms that marvel is anime~

Skilletor

More like people thought they were good because they were surrounded by mediocrity. Internet opens you up to legit people, legit strats, and tons more opponents. Has nothing to do with "lame ass shitty practices," since that's a pretty low-level mentality in and of itself. People were more likely to use whatever they could to win in the arcade since money and a trip to the back of the line were the cost of losing.

LegatoB

this is the absolute most painful thing there is in terms of trying to be competitive
it kills scenes, it kills everyone's drive, it really is just god awful to experience firsthand

it also confirms that marvel is anime~
Everything in Anne's post has happened for every game I enjoyed since I started taking these games semi-seriously around SF4's launch. I have seen it happen so many times I'm pretty much just numb to it now. Ugh.

Anne

watch buttons! fuck I hated that....

just as bad as screen hacking -_-

It taught me a lot so I'm thankful for it. Whenever I sit down I can instantly tell if you know how to deal with the person sitting next to you or not, which is a huge deal. I've beaten players much better than me by psyching them out and pushing those IRL advantages, but the first time I sat down next to Ricki it felt like she was a DBZ character with that aura of "I don't give a fuck about you, you died when I sat down". People don't talk about it a lot, but it's a skill to learn.

Everything in Anne's post has happened for every game I enjoyed since I started taking these games semi-seriously around SF4's launch. I have seen it happen so many times I'm pretty much just numb to it now. Ugh.

Ye, I feel ya. I'm tired of people saying things about under represented things and not knowing what the day to day situation is like for a lot of places -_- I'm not trying to do a boo hoo sop story, I mean I survive and play and it's fine, I just want to paint the picture for people who haven't dealt with it.

Holy hitstun batman.

Clawww

at this point im hoping the animation speed/hitstop is simply adjusted for the trailers

cuz that shit literally looks like some slow mo the pacing is just way off

So he's got new teleports, anti fb move, new energy launcher thingy, his slide launches, new fireball launchy thing, a much better headstomp and white hair.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Can anybody who was at Toryuken explain the DOA situation where the last few matches were to be streamed and then it got just shuffled off to the side?

I know the TOs are not receptive to DOA but maybe somebody here has a better picture?
it has nothing to do with being receptive to DoA - everyone wanted to have DoA on stream but two power outs + tekken running super long meant that there was only time for either vf or DoA. since sega effectively sponsored the tournament by donating prizes, vf got the spot. I spoke with the DoA guys afterwards and they did save all the matches and will be uploading them to YouTube, which is better than nothing. still sucks. personally I wish blazblue streamed top 4 instead of top 8 so there would've been time for DoA.

Top Bottom