• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm probably in the minority but I have never found the appeal in video game music. Often times, I don't even hear the music because I'm too focused on playing the game. There's definitely some memorable tunes but nothing I'm too fond of.
Only matters in training mode for me, I have a weird thing where I usually like listening to the SFX in my fighting games when I'm in fighting mode, helps me with rhythm and stuff, so I usually don't tinker with the music or SFX at all.

For video games in general, I generally don't notice either unless it's a pretty memorable moment or a cutscene.

FSLink

Banned
Street Fighter II OST is probably the most memorable to me. The music in MvC1, MvC3, and TvC:CGoH really help me get immersed in "Oh shit I'm fighting Ryu" or something. Plus the songs are catchy.

sleepykyo

Who do you guys think is the best fighting game dev? Just curious.

I guess try not to incorporate bias into the answer.

In.......
Depth
Balance
Graphics
Animations
Netcode
Etc.

Tie between Capcom and Namco. The Namco games have solid mechanics and netcode. Capcom games have decent animation and characters, the characters feel fairly diverse, etc.
I don't the Capcom fighting games rank first in any area, but they frequently rank 2nd or 3rd in multiple areas. The resulting sum is frequently better than others.

The NRS games are amazing in terms of features, but netcode, animation and movement are so awful that it holds the package back.

Console talk: I agree with those that think Microsoft's anti-consumer stuff won't matter. It has the biggest shooters, marketing that is second to none and the money to bleed Sony out.

Riposte

I like Fanatiq time to time, but he does act like a complete child. I really dislike the egos some FG players have. It is not even the fun "I'm going to take all your money" kind of ego. It is "I'm so self-important and kind of lazy" ego. I have a lot of respect toward Keits with what he does with UFGT. I want to go one day.

Also it is pointless to ask to "not to incorporate bias" when you are asking that question in the unnamed Capcom fighting game OT.

EDIT: Batgirl walk animation looks kind of weird.

JDdelphin

FINAL BOSS of Divekick.

Sheng Long demonflip divekicker?

Maybe some take on Black Adam? Doesn't his divekick have a meterburn armor option?

or just some three headed beastform of Wong, Ricky and Floe... Evil Dr. Geniuses or something

Hype about the reveal though!

Triforce? Fanatiq? Then you can unlock him typing the coupon code "AGEFANATIQ"

That's a great idea. You could have 'Spooby' at the control desk call in the Capcops on 'em.
CodyAnimation2.gif

Keits

Developer
I can't believe this match throwing clown thinks he adds "prestige" to anything.

How is it that my greatest regret about UFGT9 is simply asking my (then) friend to try to come and have a good time?

Nabs

2 years after the original console release and a few months after Injustice. Will probably sell like shit and perpetuate the idea that FGs don't sell on the PC.

Edit: That said, I'll most likely buy it just cause I used to love MK as a kid.

Yep. It'll probably be full price as well.

I'll pick it up around the 15-20 mark. We'll see.

El Sloth

Banned
2 years after the original console release and a few months after Injustice. Will probably sell like shit and perpetuate the idea that FGs don't sell on the PC.

Edit: That said, I'll most likely buy it just cause I used to love MK as a kid.
Yep.

The cycle continues.

JeTmAn81

Trying to get it out around EVO. We'll see what happens.

Looking forward to it! Really hoping for PS3/Vita crossbuy as well.

Also, Sheng Long as final boss would be amazing. I've always wanted him to be a real character in something.

JDdelphin

Looking forward to it! Really hoping for PS3/Vita crossbuy as well.

Also, Sheng Long as final boss would be amazing. I've always wanted him to be a real character in something.

Me too, man.

A cursory search has the only trademark for 'Sheng Long' here

...though rumors are circulating in electronic gaming magazines that the true master Shong Leng has been appearing if certain conditions are met

I think ASW/SNKP are tied for first in terms depth/balance. But this is honestly subjective because everyone's looking for something different in terms of gameplay mechanics.

El Sloth

Banned
Namco is the best overall developer this gen, because no other developer allows you download online matches between top players all over the world. (TTT2)
Huh?

I've been following top Rose, Gouken, and Dhalsim players in SSIV for a good long while now. Everytime I boot up the game it lets me know there are new match replays for me to download and watch if I want.

vulva

Huh?

I've been following top Rose, Gouken, and Dhalsim players in SSIV for a good long while now. Everytime I boot up the game it lets me know there are new match replays for me download and watch if I want.

I, too, watch all of Saty's uploads

Nyoro SF

Namco is the best overall developer this gen, because no other developer allows you download online matches between top players all over the world. (TTT2)

I think ASW/SNKP are tied for first in terms depth/balance. But this is honestly subjective because everyone's looking for something different in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Uh.... Street Fighter 4? I think even Persona 4 Arena does it too, though it was half-assed and I couldn't download anything for some reason. I'm sure it works for everyone else though.

Clawww

Yep. It'll probably be full price as well.

I'll pick it up around the 15-20 mark. We'll see.

I'll prolly buy it just to complete the story mode and stuff. I'm not a fan of MK gameplay and animations, but I've always liked the cheesy-ass story.

Also, maybe some cool mods will pop up.

Dahbomb

I searched the post history and he quoted a spoilery Attack on Titan image (after which that spoiler image was edited out by the user) in a random thread.

Attack on Titan has a very strict spoiler policy so I wouldn't be surprised although I don't think that is it because someone else quoted it later and aren't banned for it.

Maybe it was meta post whining or something... who knows really.

onionfrog

I'm with him on that one. Goddamn number notation.
There could be no better final boss.
I agree with you on both counts.

Spooky in Divekick would be amazing.

Number notation is ass. In what way is it easier than just writing the directions?(u,f,d,b) or qcf, qcb... etc. It just adds an unnecessary level of obusification to the notation.

Here's an update for you about my experiences with Blazblue CS:EX.
I'm pretty ass at it right now, but I think I can enjoy playing it casually. So far I like playing as Bang, Tsubaki and Lambda-11. I agree with you about the difficulty of more complex combos in the game. (Definitely not playing Taokaka)

Which is why I won't strive to get really deep into the game and be super competitive about it. I also don't understand why launchers have to be super jump cancelled instead of just jump cancelling by pressing up. Being a jerk and zoning people out with lambda is just as fun as playing good keepaway with Hawkeye in Marvel.
I may even buy Chrono Phantasma when it comes out if Capcom doesn't end up releasing another fighter any time soon.
Mahvel update or fighters of capcom... Capcom plz

Trying to get it out around EVO. We'll see what happens.
Thanks Keits, I'm really looking forward to it.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/mortal-kombat-pc-officially-announced/
MK PC coming July 3rd. High Voltage Software doing the port.
I have low expectations.
This seems like a case of "too little to late" to me. Games been out over 2 years now.

Horseress

I searched the post history and he quoted a spoilery Attack on Titan image (after which that spoiler image was edited out by the user) in a random thread.

Attack on Titan has a very strict spoiler policy so I wouldn't be surprised although I don't think that is it because someone else quoted it later and aren't banned for it.

Maybe it was meta post whining or something... who knows really.

Why's that? I've searched for it on Wikipedia and there isn't anything "wrong" about it, and, actually, it looks cool

I agree with you on both counts. Number notation is ass. In what way is it easier thank just writing the directions(u,f,d,b) or qcf, qcb... etc. It just adds an unnecessary level of obusification to the notation.

Here's an update for you about my experiences with Blazblue CS:EX.
I'm pretty ass at it right now, but I think I can enjoy playing it casually. So far I like playing as Bang, Tsubaki and Lambda-11. I agree with you about the difficulty of more complex combos in the game. (Definitely not playing Taokaka)

Which is why I won't strive to get really deep into the game and be super competitive about it. I also don't understand why launchers have to be super jump cancelled instead of just jump cancelling by pressing up. Being a jerk and zoning people out with lambda is just as fun as playing good keepaway with Hawkeye in Marvel.
I may even buy Chrono Phantasma when it comes out if Capcom doesn't end up releasing another fighter any time soon.
Mahvel update or fighters of capcom... Capcom plz
I found Lambda's keepaway to be more frustrating than anything. My main sparring partner used Jin, and he just kept fucking me up with ice stuff. I never felt safe enough to do anything. Bang isn't to my taste, and by the time I got to Tsubaki, who has a cool looking moveset (Nibelung Valesti!), I was burned out.

Dahbomb

Why's that? I've searched for it on Wikipedia and there isn't anything "wrong" about it, and actually it looks cool
If you read the Wikipedia for this anime then you are already spoiled. lol

When the anime thread started a lot of random manga readers came in there and started spoiling crap. So after that at least 2 mods started moderating spoilers for that show.

onionfrog

I found Lambda's keepaway to be more frustrating than anything. My main sparring partner used Jin, and he just kept fucking me up with ice stuff. I never felt safe enough to do anything. Bang isn't to my taste, and by the time I got to Tsubaki, who has a cool looking moveset (Nibelung Valesti!), I was burned out.
Tsubaki seems pretty straightforward to use, which is nice.
If you're ever interested in playing the game again, I'm pretty much free wins at this point.
I'm gonna hit up the OT once I've had more practice with the game.

Also this game has an excellent soundtrack.

Tsubaki is pretty straightforward to use, which is nice.
If you're ever interested in playing the game again, I'm pretty much free wins at this point.

Also this game has an excellent soundtrack.
Feel free to PM me your tag if you want gaffers to play with. I'd like to just pick some new characters every once in a while for casuals.

Top Bottom