• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just saw this although I don't know what self publishing means:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561661
This was never going to happen when the Windows 8 Store rumour was thrown away at the presentation. I wonder if it's still a W8 SDK they're using or if that's just for apps.

Self-publishing means I can make a game and put it out on the internet without going through a distribution and promotion company (publisher). That's why everyone is excited about indies on the PS4. Right now, if I want to put my game out on XBLA, I need EA or someone else to publish it and take a cut of my cheques, even though they're not really doing much besides some testing (which MS will do anyways during cert).

Beckx

To get on XBLA you need a slot, all of which are allocated to publishers, as I understand it. Then on top of that there's certification, patch fees, etc.

Well this explains why developers were writing love letters to Sony and not much of a peep has come out of them for the Xbox. I think big publishers will still be with Xbox for the DRM crap but the smaller devs will opt for the PS4, maybe even exclusively.

You would expect so. But at the same time I'm sure successful games will get a publisher deal and xbox release. Kind of like this gen but in reverse.

Azure J

I should've added Capcom PR as well.

I just saw this although I don't know what self publishing means:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561661

Essentially, they're telling people who make games but aren't associated with publishers that have 3 shipped titles for an Xbox product to fuck off. They either have to buddy up with a pub or go elsewhere.

The really fucking hilarious part? Ninten-"what is an internet/digital distribution goes where?"-do of all motherfucking companies allows self publishing.

How does a company like Microsoft get upstarted in digital content production policy by Nintendo man? That's like fucking CJShowstopper winning Marvel at EVO.

Beckx

You would expect so. But at the same time I'm sure successful games will get a publisher deal and xbox release. Kind of like this gen but in reverse.

well, they do have that rule that if you publish first on any other console, MS may refuse you for Xbox. They waive it, but still.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Essentially, they're telling people who make games but aren't associated with publishers that have 3 shipped titles for an Xbox product to fuck off. They either have to buddy up with a pub or go elsewhere.

The really fucking hilarious part? Ninten-"what is an internet/digital distribution goes where?"-do of all motherfucking companies allows self publishing.

How does a company like Microsoft get upstarted in digital content production policy by Nintendo man? That's like fucking CJShowstopper winning Marvel at EVO.
It's all because of the policies they set at the start of the gen. They set them, and stuck to them, it's like they were trying to find loopholes in their own policies. They'd come up with creative ways to release multiple games instead of just the one every week and it'd take several years to relax them one by one.

PSN grew over time, and eventually became more and more flexible for developers. MS barely changed. Let's not forget how increasing the size of XBLA games allowed was a huge announcement throughout the history of the 360. There's still a cap I think.

This is why I was so damn excited for next gen to hit. It gives them a chance to change their policies. Modernize. Build a new infrastructure and get rid of the shackles from this generation's platform standards. And they just.. didn't. Even after seeing what Sony was doing. You would think, considering how fucking badly WP8 and W8 need app developers, they would integrate their ecosystems through WinRT, but nope.

Azure J

I feel you on the desire for policy resets going into next gen Enzo. Funnily enough, Skullgirls and the X360 patch versus Microsoft's console politics were the reason I even became aware of how much of an issue that was.

Wallach

I worked in cert for years on these consoles, and it's more of a clusterfuck than people could imagine. I kind of wish I was still doing it when the Wii U launched because I wanted to see if they could un-fuck their terrible process when it rolled around. But then I'd still be doing cert.

Zissou

smurfx

get some go again
To think... people called me crazy when I doubted controller forward compatibility. "Your stick will be fine!" they said, "It's USB!" they said. Hogwash!
microsoft to miss out on an opportunity to take advantage of their costumers? not likely.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
THESE DEALS END IN ABOUT 2 HOURS!

Mad Catz ECTV Sale! $80 FightSticks + Tons of Savings!

Mad Catz is a proud sponsor of this weekend's East Coast Throwdown V!

We also have some AMAZING deals just for this event! Make sure you check them out! You can see all the deals/coverage for this weekend here: http://www.madcatz.com/throw-down-with-mad-catz-at-ect-v/

DEAL NO. 1 – $20 OFF SELECT FIGHTSTICKS! USE CODE ‘ECT20′ ON…

For North America (US & Canada) customers! You can get the SOULCALIBUR V FightSticks for just $80! That’s a 50% savings from the original price! Enter coupon code ‘ECT20′ at checkout to save $20 OFF the following:

Don’t forget! These are while supplies last and this promo ends on May 21!

DEAL NO. 2 – $60 OFF SELECT FIGHTSTICKS! USE CODE ‘ECT60′ ON…

Another great promo code for North America (US & Canada) customers! Massive savings of $60 OFF some of our best products! Enter coupon code ‘ECT60′ at checkout to save $60 OFF the following:

Don’t forget! These are while supplies last and this promo ends on May 21!

While you’re at it, be sure to check out our newly launched range of apparel, Mad Catz Game Hard Wear! As seen below…

Thanks for checking out the deals!

NOT SURE IF THIS IS ALLOWED

Anyone in Texas wanna try to get some games online in(Preferably Huntsville area, as local is better.)? Mostly play Marvel, but have a few others. Not that great either, but whatever. PSN ID is same as username. Just send a pm/invite.

why would you need an arcade stick when you have kinect 2?
Who needs to exercise when I'm trying to play Morrigan in MvC4?

NOT SURE IF THIS IS ALLOWED

Anyone in Texas wanna try to get some games online in(Preferably Huntsville area, as local is better.)? Mostly play Marvel, but have a few others. Not that great either, but whatever. PSN ID is same as username. Just send a pm/invite.
It's fine to do this, but you'll generally get better results if you go to the Marvel thread and add your name to the player list, and friend some folks:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494223

alstein

Well this explains why developers were writing love letters to Sony and not much of a peep has come out of them for the Xbox. I think big publishers will still be with Xbox for the DRM crap but the smaller devs will opt for the PS4, maybe even exclusively.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561741

^^ LOL Sony fanboys feeling themselves hard.

I don't think a console can survive on AAA alone.

If the mid-majors and below just decide not to play Microsoft's game, that's as big as EA dropping Wii U.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Next week's Divekick character is going to be a Fanatiq parody, I can feel it.

His ability will be that he can activate a glowing controller in his hands that blinds both you and the opponent.

I don't think a console can survive on AAA alone.

If the mid-majors and below just decide not to play Microsoft's game, that's as big as EA dropping Wii U.
AA are having trouble surviving alone. I don't think MS will have problems with any publishers unless the console really is that much of a failure. They're doing too much good for greedy publishers, and I think it would only help those AA games from those publishers more if the option of buying used versions of those games is removed. They'll fall to lower MSRP and people will buy them then, OR since both Sony and MS support flexible MSRPs, you'll see games coming out at $40 or maybe even lower and people will gravitate less to use games anyways and just make the purchase. I don't know how this will work out in actuality though, it's pretty unprecedented what is going on right now with used game blockage.

This is why Sony aggressively entering the indie market is a great idea. They've realized the disruptive selection that is occurring in game budgets and knowing that they already have a huge amount of reliable AAA studios and IPs and are cornering the other end of the market as a result.

Anth0ny

i guess we could start chanting ps4 unironically at tournaments

MS done goofed. watch this piece of shit sell millions in the first few months too.

Just caught up with all the new Xbox info. Some pretty confusing stuff.

jNCRtRC.gif

Zissou

Seems like microsoft doesn't give a fuck about the non-U.S. market. Japan, as well as anybody who lives in a big city (who isn't rich) won't even have the option of fucking around with manditory kinect due to space limitations where they live (and no used games is a death knell in Japan as well). People w/o reasonably reliable internet connections are out too. That leaves what? suburban America?

Sayah

Who do you guys think is the best fighting game dev? Just curious.

I guess try not to incorporate bias into the answer.

In.......
Depth
Balance
Graphics
Animations
Netcode
Etc.

Seems like microsoft doesn't give a fuck about the non-U.S. market. Japan, as well as anybody who lives in a big city (who isn't rich) won't even have the option of fucking around with manditory kinect due to space limitations where they live (and no used games is a death knell in Japan as well). People w/o reasonably reliable internet connections are out too. That leaves what? suburban America?

COD crowd takes more precedence in Microsoft's eyes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why would Keits want to add to his popularity?
This is true.

Just caught up with all the new Xbox info. Some pretty confusing stuff.

jNCRtRC.gif
This song is underrated and makes for some of the best GIFs too.

Japan got fucked HARD. Europe got FIFA though, but from the sound of it, it's like they only got a CE or special mode or something. Just mentioned this in another thread too, but the entire conference was full of imprecise language and poor explanations.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
How many people in Japan have a 360?

How many people in America give a shit about FIFA?

Zissou

How many people in America give a shit about FIFA?

Certain niche markets care about 360 in Japan (shmup fans, fighter fans), and the 360 still absolutely has retail presence at game/electronic stores to this day, even if it's significantly smaller than ps3. xbone will have 0%

MS done goofed. watch this piece of shit sell millions in the first few months too.

Yep almost for certain. It'll play Halo, it'll play COD, it'll do just fine. Despite all the drama of the day I can't see much if anything changing and I'd still expect it to be the console of choice for Americans.

Still about 1.6 million compared to around 10 million PS3s and just under a million WiiU. They sell about 500 a week there.

In.......
Depth - Hard to say since different games have different kinds of depth
Balance - ASW
Graphics - CAPCOM
Animations - CAPCOM
Netcode - ASW (NAMCO second or comparable? - always hear good things)
Etc.
Answers above, no favoritism shown. I shall unveil the answers to other questions upon your request, friend!

Yep almost for certain. It'll play Halo, it'll play COD, it'll do just fine. Despite all the drama of the day I can't see much if anything changing and I'd still expect it to be the console of choice for Americans.
This strong possibility honestly terrifies me. I consider today to be an opportunity for gamers to have a major win, but will they take it?

I have some confidence it will just because all of the Xbots I know (and I use that term appropriately, these guys just buy whatever gets advertising dollars and regurgitate company PR speak) are moving to PC gaming and have invested a lot after all the big bad rumors surfaced. There's a chance people will actually avoid the system. I honestly consider this to be a war that needs to be won, just like SFxT was with Capcom. And just like Capcom, this isn't an anti-Microsoft thing. Companies just need to be put in their place.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

In.......
Depth
Balance
Graphics
Animations
Netcode
Etc.
Your gonna need to specify ALL the criteria or else your going to get bias no matter what.

My biased answer is Capcom because they nail a lot of the things I feel are important (character design, animation, fun combat system) despite lacking in other areas.

alstein

In.......
Depth
Balance
Graphics
Animations
Netcode
Etc.

I'd honestly say Namco at the moment, with Arc 2nd.

If VF was bigger I'd throw Sega up there.

Zissou

Answers above, no favoritism shown. I shall unveil the answers to other questions upon your request, friend!

I agree with your answers aside from balance- isn't vf final showdown supposed to have fantastic balance? Arcsys fucks up a lot in the balance dept, even if they regularly do better than many.

ASW to me are the best developer even though Capcom make by far my favourite games.

This strong possibility honestly terrifies me. I consider today to be an opportunity for gamers to have a major win, but will they take it?

I have some confidence it will just because all of the Xbots I know (and I use that term appropriately, these guys just buy whatever gets advertising dollars and regurgitate company PR speak) are moving to PC gaming and have invested a lot after all the big bad rumors surfaced. There's a chance people will actually avoid the system. I honestly consider this to be a war that needs to be won, just like SFxT was with Capcom. And just like Capcom, this isn't an anti-Microsoft thing. Companies just need to be put in their place.

Who knows, but I think this gen, in America, was won simply because people played Halo and COD online, and subscribed to Live. Because they paid that fee, they also played other multiplayer games online and hence it became the defacto console of choice because that is what everybody's friends had (similar in Australia but in reverse due to Fifa and a few other titles and a huge PS3 giveaway program with bravia TVs).
Obviously with Halo that isn't going to change and I'm sure Microsoft will be wrapping up COD shit too. Unless some other game pops up as the "next big thing", and I see nothing to suggest it will given the continued strong sales of those franchises I'd expect history to repeat itself.

The great news is I don't think it matters one way or another. With the PC going amazingly well just with indie or free games, the PS4 looking strong, the Xbox one being there by default and the Wii U still doing its own thing (and we all know there will be some big Nintendo games around E3 that'll keep the fans happy) it is still a great time for gaming. Sure there will be a few fuck ups along the way, but I'm sure we will still have plenty of choices about what to play.

Now all we need is an amazing looking fighting game to get excited about. GG looks great, but that is a little too abstract at this stage for me until we see more. Hopefully in a few weeks we get a glimpse of something else, even if it is a long way off.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

In.......
Depth
Balance
Graphics
Animations
Netcode
Etc.

ASW on everything but animation

Lab Zero tied with Graphics and wins in Animation

Top Bottom