• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 25-31 | Marvel vs. Comcast

Do, suppose I get it. If I like Faust, 3S Chun/Akuma, SF4 Sim/Ryu/Akuma, Iori/Beni in KOF etc. is Azure the way to go? Are there other space control monsters in the game?

Nah just Azure, but possibly Aja.

For anyone interested, here's how I'd describe the characters:

Crow: Blue Shoto. Can use LP and EX fireballs to continue pressure. Has good juggles and resets. Takes advantage of BL Counter incredibly easily (missed parry counter-hit state).

Kou: Red Shoto. Very dangerous in footsies because of HP xx super. Has the meatiest normal in the game, close HK (Crow doesn't have a close HK). Multi-hit uppercuts.

Hina: Red Sword Girl. Charge character, almost Balrog-ish. Also has a quick, + on block, chicken-wing motion, overhead move that is super-cancellable. Can be played both gimmicky AND solid. (My avatar)

Shimo: Blue Sword Girl. Has a command run for Guy-style pressure and mixups, and also an air special tailored to throw off people's attempted antiair parries. Great resets and run under stuff.

Chadha: Hugo-style grappler. Has multiple armored specials, a piledriver, and a 720 super which can do more damage if you do 3, 4, or 5 360s instead... LOL. Also great at guard-crushing.

Juzumaru: Rekka character. Can cancel rekkas on hit or block into another special that options high or low for gimmicks. Super-fast super and high damage overall.

Juzu has an alternate version that loses the special move that gives him the high/low gimmick in exchange for much better frame advantage on certain normals. Makes him very footsie-focused but incredibly solid.

Hanzo: Divekick ninja. Divekick always grants combo on hit, but she can't chain lights. Has a teleport, a superjump-cancellable special, and a charge command grab (charge Down~Up+P). The EX version can done without charge (Down, Up+PP). Plays footsies very much like 3S Chun but without silly walkspeed.

Jet: Dudley-inspired boxer. Very high damage, Genei-Jin, and Specials that cancel into each other. Has many useful but unnecessary links. Also, can do the 5x trip combo Dudley can do.

Kotaro: Kunai throwing ninja. Has relatively poor normals, but has a command jump that can be done midair for excellent rushdown options from multiple angles, plus a Makoto-style command grab leading into combo. Can lock you in place with her Kunai super and combo 10 jabs... Then reset you into another Kunai super to do it again.

Azure: Masked Ninja with white hair. Has Reppukens and air fireballs. Has a half-screen safe special move that is + on block. Also has an instant grab super and a vertical fireball super that functions a bit like Aegis Reflector in that even if they parry it they're locked in place for a sweet mixup.

Aja: Tall, blonde, dangerous woman wielding a longsword. Has near half-screen normals and specials. Has vacuum effects, Rolento's crouching HK (except nearly fullscreen), and a timer super that lets her chain all her specials together. Played like Dhalsim, without being crap at rushdown.

Azure: Masked Ninja with white hair. Has Reppukens and air fireballs. Has a half-screen safe special move that is + on block. Also has an instant grab super and a vertical fireball super that functions a bit like Aegis Reflector in that even if they parry it they're locked in place for a sweet mixup.

He also seems very nickel and dime-y from what I've seen - hard to get anything big with him outside those super mixups and a couple other situations. My exposure is limited but that's what it seems like anyway. What are the main ways outside super mixups to land significant damage with him?

Devid905

Update on SFV supporting older arcade sticks: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/street-fighter-5-devs-looking-into-ps3-arcade-stic/1100-6427577/
Lab Zero's drivers allow arcade sticks (specifically those registered as a Generic USB GamePad or Joysticks) to work with the PlayStation 4. MadCatz's officially licensed line of sticks, which are generally the most popular among players, function this way and so are supported.

When asked by GameSpot if Street Fighter V on PS4 will also include these drivers and support for older arcade sticks, a Capcom representative said it was something the company is currently investigating.

"I can confirm that we are looking into this at the moment," said Capcom. "[We] will share more information soon."

Jazz-ism

Banned
if recent entry numbers tell any kind of tale, persona has a good chance of pulling less than 100

in retrospect, given personas situation with releases....it might have been better to have uniel

if recent entry numbers tell any kind of tale, persona has a good chance of pulling less than 100

in retrospect, given personas situation with releases....it might have been better to have uniel

With [st] around, wouldn't that also be a version behind?

BBCPE might have been the best pick release-wise.

He also seems very nickel and dime-y from what I've seen - hard to get anything big with him outside those super mixups and a couple other situations. My exposure is limited but that's what it seems like anyway. What are the main ways outside super mixups to land significant damage with him?

He maintains frame advantage if he's hitting, but getting little bits at a time.

To get big damage, you have to land a raw jumpin or land the grab super. He can get 1/3 life + a reset for half a meter, but only if the combo starts right.

Mr. X

It would've but it's about which company is going to help pay the bills.

NEO0MJ

this is true. but regardless uniel still has momentum.

but yes, bbcpex or uniel would have been the better choice.

Frankly, I think they should have gone with Skullgirls. Game is finally complete content-wise and fine-tuned to perfection.

Kumubou

I don't think there's any chance of P4AU doing sub-100 numbers at Evo. It might be the smallest official game, and it may even be smaller than some side tournaments, although I kind of doubt that. GGAC+R usually averages about 150 every year, although that may see a small uptick with Xrd being there. (And I expect UNIEL to be around that number). Sub-100 would put it around the size of the MBCC side tournament, which would be a really bad look.

Frankly, I think they should have gone with Skullgirls. Game is finally complete content-wise and fine-tuned to perfection.
Except that Skullgirls players have had a reputation of not really showing up events until rather recently. I can't really blame Evo for not considering it at that point in time.

alstein

I don't think there's any chance of P4AU doing sub-100 numbers at Evo. It might be the smallest official game, and it may even be smaller than some side tournaments, although I kind of doubt that. GGAC+R usually averages about 150 every year, although that may see a small uptick with Xrd being there. (And I expect UNIEL to be around that number). Sub-100 would put it around the size of the MBCC side tournament, which would be a really bad look.

Except that Skullgirls players have had a reputation of not really showing up events until rather recently. I can't really blame Evo for not considering it at that point in time.

What comes first, the events or the showing up?

I think Persona draws 200- didn't VF draw 200 when it was at EVO?

El Sloth

Banned
(link slightly nsfw)Random Japanese twitter fighting game snippet of the day:

Today from 8 o'clock NAF Weedman is fighting Joy (who got a arcade stick from his girlfriend) in a FT10. The loser will stick mints up their ass, the number of which will be calculated multiplying their wins by their losses.
Somehow this seems very appropriate for Marvel
Aja: Tall, blonde, dangerous woman wielding a longsword. Has near half-screen normals and specials. Has vacuum effects, Rolento's crouching HK (except nearly fullscreen), and a timer super that lets her chain all her specials together. Played like Dhalsim, without being crap at rushdown.
Found my character. She sounds cool, that super sounds like it'd make for some stylish combos.

mbpm1

Kou: Red Shoto. Very dangerous in footsies because of HP xx super. Has the meatiest normal in the game, close HK (Crow doesn't have a close HK). Multi-hit uppercuts.

It's funny how even knowing nothing about the game and going i nand trying every character I ended up playing the Ken shoto

BadWolf

Thanks for the character breakdown, I will probably try Hanzo and Azure first (seems to be a very Terry/Geese/Kain inspired character). Though as in usual KOF fashion I will probably end up playing with most of the characters eventually.

Any word on the balance of the game?

TheChits

CF5x1O_VEAE5LU4.jpg

Dope

Skullgirls has had some of the biggest side tournaments since 2012 iirc. I think the numbers so far have been 117 and over 145 for the last two years. The game will probably have it's peak at 200 players or so.

Dai101

Banned
How about if I make it out my pool?

or just win a match

You can have one of this:

cV8JAFc.jpg

I'd like to, but I'm European and even GGPO can't do miracles. I also suck horrendously. Sinking my time to KOF, GG and 3S atm but Vampire is definitely on the list of games I want to actually learn.

Well, do like myself and try FightCade. Today i brought my arcade stick to the office and will test it tonight.

Mr. X

People still think it's attendance to get into EVO after games releasing 1-2 months before the event or not at all being main games :|

I mean, P4A2 was picked over UNIEL and BB at EVO, it's not attendance.

Just finished watching Stunfest KOF13 Winner's Finals. The fradulence is real, my god. Just hand the trophy to Chin, because he's the real winner of that match.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
About $45k

Masters Series = $8.5k
Topanga World League = $16.5k
NCR = $9k
Stunfest = $10k
SXSW = $750?

Momochi got about $24.5k

SXSW = $10k
FR = $4.5k
Stunfest = $4.5k
Topanga World League = $4.5k
Shadowloo = $1k?

Kazunoko got about $11k thus far

Masters Series = $3k
SXSW = $4.5k
FR = $1.5k + $1.3k
Shadowloo = $500?
Stunfest = $200

Xian

SXSW = $500
FR = $10k
Hypespotting = $900
Topanga World League = $2.25k
Masters = $2k

So about $15.65k

Daigo is rolling in cash. EVO is just another stepping stone for him until he gets knocked out by a random and then we hear later that he didn't.

(link slightly nsfw)Random Japanese twitter fighting game snippet of the day:

Today from 8 o'clock NAF Weedman is fighting Joy (who got a arcade stick from his girlfriend) in a FT10. The loser will stick mints up their ass, the number of which will be calculated multiplying their wins by their losses.

dafuq?

shaowebb

l7CeUc3.jpg

TvC thought of today. Yatterman 2 super is god damned annoying.
She's a pressure cooker character designed with a great multihitting jumpin thats safe, fast pokes, and a projectile that bounces back and forth between walls that gets faster eventually guaranteeing a section of the screen walled off.

Like this stuff

She's got this lvl 1 super though thats super annoying. She can summon a robot that floats around and it hits you at random. Opens you up a LOT for this girl and since her other lvl 1 is a chargeable projectile that can bounce all around it means she has a mixup super that walls you in coupled with another super trying to random high low you all while she pressures.

God she is annoying. I pretty much gotta tag Polymar out every time and let Karas handle her with long pokes, reflectors, and his counter super.

So the menus in the USF4 ps4 port are a bit fucked up right now.
They move super slow. Not the loading, but the actual menu and ui transitions. Character select screen looks like somebody slowed it down by 50%

Shackzam

『Inaba Resident』;165254520 said:
So the menus in the USF4 ps4 port are a bit fucked up right now.
They move super slow. Not the loading, but the actual menu and ui transitions. Character select screen looks like somebody slowed it down by 50%
Is the store updated?

I don't know why I double-dipped on MKX I already have it on PC (unfortunately) and then I bought it on PS4 because my brother wanted to play me. My brother likes to talk alot of shit but can't really back it up. I told him that I would destroy his ass but he still kept talking shit. So I played him and I beat him 9-2 (Damn wakeup x-rays). The whole time he is complaining that I do too much damage, I block too much, etc. So I ended up picking Kenshi, who I have no idea how to use. I told him I don't use Kenshi and then he got mad because I was able to do a 7-hit combo with him (mashing square and ex teleport fury). Apparently being able to do that means I know how to use a character. So he starts calling me a liar and starts bragging about how he beat me 20 times in a row budokai 1 15 years ago. Then he wonders why I don't like playing games with him.

On a side note, I always wanted to know what it would be like to go back in time and play my younger self in alot of old games (MSH, Marvel 2, Budokai 3,etc).

pixelish

i've just signed up for fv cup which is a malaysian tournament and i believe shiro and tonpy are confirmed coming. so if any of you fgw bros are thinking of coming over to get dem (
probably free
) cpt points, i'll be happy to host you.

Any word on the balance of the game?

If you and your opponent both know the footsies and mechanics, most matchups are in the 5-5 territory.

Currently, Hina and Azure are considered the top two. The characters considered weakest are Shimo and Kou. The tier differences at this moment are because of having more or less gimmicks, setups, and space control.

I'd call the balance KOF-style. No one is really lacking in tools, and once you're good at the game it's very compressed.

Onemic

I'm not. But that was Chin, not Tokido. Tokido dispatched what, 2 characters without Chin? The rest was rolling dice.

....but it was Tokido controlling the character.

I can't use Chin and automatically win StunFest.....Unless I can?? Send me to the next major with KOFXIII pls!

BadWolf

If you and your opponent both know the footsies and mechanics, most matchups are in the 5-5 territory.

Currently, Hina and Azure are considered the top two. The characters considered weakest are Shimo and Kou. The tier differences at this moment are because of having more or less gimmicks, setups, and space control.

I'd call the balance KOF-style. No one is really lacking in tools, and once you're good at the game it's very compressed.

Excellent :)

Tokido also 3-0 Frionel in grand finals. His Chin is a huge threat but in the last half of the set his Claw Iori was yhe one putting in a lot of work. Tokido is just godlike and it's pretty interesting that he seems to change up some his characters on a yearly basis. He's definitely not a one note player.

Top Bottom