• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Spoilers Thread!

Pantz

I've been super skeptical ever since they said the game would be in parts and have more action type combat. After playing the demo I've resigned to the belief that this game is more of a fanservice-walkingsim with kind of fun action combat. It's a strange way to remake one of the best games of all time but maybe it would have been a letdown either way if they tried to just update the graphics and keep everything else the same. Either way I'll still play the original version again (not even the shitty censored remaster/updated version on modern consoles).

Newk86

So reviews seem to love it. And that's that I guess. Years from now people will default to this as the definitive FF7 experience - some reviews have even called it that already. And yet it doesn't even include a third of the original game's content; it literally stops one third of the way through and contains alternate universe timeline ghosts and meta references to itself.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So reviews seem to love it. And that's that I guess. Years from now people will default to this as the definitive FF7 experience - some reviews have even called it that already. And yet it doesn't even include a third of the original game's content; it literally stops one third of the way through and contains alternate universe timeline ghosts and meta references to itself.
not surprised in the slightest.

Last edited:

The Snake

Cancelled my preorder this morning. Thank you to everyone who has done the research and provided leaks; without that I would have been a victim to one of the biggest bait&switch in this industry's history. Maybe the biggest--this beats MGS2's Raiden in my opinion.

I'm curious to see how this is received when it launches in the US. A LOT of people are completely unaware of all of this.

Mojo1990

Cancelled my preorder this morning. Thank you to everyone who has done the research and provided leaks; without that I would have been a victim to one of the biggest bait&switch in this industry's history. Maybe the biggest--this beats MGS2's Raiden in my opinion.

I'm curious to see how this is received when it launches in the US. A LOT of people are completely unaware of all of this.

Drama Queen 😂🤦‍♂️

Metacritic Score: 87 - which is really Good considering all the odds of pulling off 30+ hours of content restricted to Midgar alone.

Issues reviewers are having seem to be with pacing/padding - lackluster side quests at times and some repetition of assets during reactor raids. Oh and lip syncing issues with NCP's and textures.

I'm anticipating a PS5 version with improved textures, gameplay and NPC's

The Snake

Drama Queen 😂🤦‍♂️

Metacritic Score: 87 - which is really Good considering all the odds of pulling off 30+ hours of content restricted to Midgar alone.

Issues reviewers are having seem to be with pacing/padding - lackluster side quests at times and some repetition of assets during reactor raids. Oh and lip syncing issues with NCP's and textures.

That's fine. I'm sure the game itself is fine. I enjoyed the demo.

However this is not the product I wanted. Why should I spend $60 on it? That makes no sense.

Plenty of other things on my backlog.

Birdo

Banned
I've been watching playthrough videos, and I really can't stand the tonal changes.

The entire Sector Plate falling cutscene is accompanied with electric guitar rock music. It's almost hilarious.

Anyone who says that has bad taste.

ExpandKong

Banned
Drama Queen 😂🤦‍♂️

Like the game or don’t like it if you want, but citing the metacritic score and game reviewers as your reasoning is laughable.

Personally, I hope this game goes down in flames. This was false advertising for years. "Hey, guys, we're remaking FF7 with everything you loved from the OG game, but it's now expanded upon." That I was fine with and was hyped for the game for years. Now, we don't get that, but a complete raping of the story. That would be like Bluepoint announcing their remake of SOTC and when you get the game, only half of it is like the OG, the other half is a FPS set in space. Fuck this game. Fuck SE for the bait and switch.

I'm just glad I read spoilers today, otherwise I would have given SE my money and probably broken the disc after I beat it. Never cancelled a preorder so fast.

Last edited:

The Snake

Personally, I hope this game goes down in flames. This was false advertising for years. "Hey, guys, we're remaking FF7 with everything you loved from the OG game, but it's now expanded upon." That I was fine with and was hyped for the game for years. Now, we don't get that, but a complete raping of the story. That would be like Bluepoint announcing their remake of SOTC and when you get the game, only half of it is like the OG, the other half is a FPS set in space. Fuck this game. Fuck SE for the bait and switch.

I'm just glad I read spoilers today, otherwise I would have given SE my money and probably broken the disc after I beat it. Never cancelled a preorder so fast.

One thing I'm surprised more people haven't commented on--where do we go from here?

The project is episodic. With these reveals, the game is no longer a "remake," but rather a new story that toys with the events of the original game. With what has changed and/or been revealed, it is impossible to classify Episode 2 as a remake. To those who are fine with how Episode 1 has turned out, are you also fine with the remaining Episodes no longer following FFVII? To those who answered Yes a second time, do you at least understand why some of us are upset? Even if a lot of it is "the same with some changes,"it is no longer strictly a remake of FFVII, which is the product we have been waiting for.

One thing I'm surprised more people haven't commented on--where do we go from here?

The project is episodic. With these reveals, the game is no longer a "remake," but rather a new story that toys with the events of the original game. With what has changed and/or been revealed, it is impossible to classify Episode 2 as a remake. To those who are fine with how Episode 1 has turned out, are you also fine with the remaining Episodes no longer following FFVII? To those who answered Yes a second time, do you at least understand why some of us are upset? Even if a lot of it is "the same with some changes,"it is no longer strictly a remake of FFVII, which is the product we have been waiting for.

It's possible the episodic line was just another bait and switch. Maybe that's why this wasn't advertised as Ep 1. Maybe they will commit to sequels if this one does well, which I hope it doesn't.

The sad thing is this could have been HUGE. Many were fine with just Midgar, but with its inhabitants and environment expanded upon. Only a minority of purists were upset. But, how are the remaining gamers going to feel when they realize they were just lied to for years? This is not what they were promised. Personally, I hope sales are much less than expected, and the backlash is so great, SE is forced to rerelease this game with any extra stuff that ruins it cut out. And extras that don't hurt the OG storyline can remain.

And anyone defending this false advertising and bait and switch from SE is just pathetic. If SE thought they had a new story to tell that people would enjoy, let them release FF7 Part 2. Not make a half-sequel, half-remake monstrosity, tell noone what they are doing, and falsely claim it is just a remake.

Fuz

Banned
WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE STILL GIVING CREDIT TO PROFESSIONAL REVIEWERS?

chitzy

Banned

What's frustrating is that this seems like it would be so hard to screw up. The Midgar sequence is an entirely self-contained storyline the ends on a great cliffhanger - Sephiroth impaling President Shinra - to lead into the next game. Yet for some reason they preferred to just blow the whole thing up.

chitzy

Banned
I found it a bit alarming that there are like 70 "professional" reviews for this game. Is there really a demand in this world for that many reviews of a video game? Should anybody be taking any of these "professionals" seriously? The answer is no.

base

Banned
Square hasn’t made an open-world FF in the way you’re thinking since FF9.

FF15 was open world I guess, but imagining the world of FF7 in that scale and detail...there’s just no way modern Square is even thinking about doing that.

I would love to be surprised but the fact that they’re breaking this thing apart into chapters and seemingly dramatically altering the story does not bode well.
Bullshit. Midgar got 1st episode cause it's the biggest location in the game. Other locations were small. They just wait for the next gen cause they need more power to present it. I trust them, the game runs on ps4 with beatiful graphics.

Fuz

Banned
I trust them
Tom-Cruise-gifs.gif

Guarantee right now in 2030 the final battle of Sephiroth vs Cloud is Cloud alone in the darkness of the Northern Crater. He turns and looks back "Guys, I need your help." Portals start opening up around Sephiroth, a Cloud from another dimension slashes Sephiroth, then another Cloud comes from above and drops down on him. Zack appears from another dimension when Cloud died instead of Zack, then another dimension where Aerith takes up the mantle as Cloud Strife as he died in the City of the Ancients instead of her and attacks Sephiroth as well. This is Cloud's final Limit Break, Omni Slash.

Nomura, Nojima, if you're reading this and wanna use it you're gonna have to pay me.

The Snake

if this one does well, which I hope it doesn't.

It already has done well. I'm sure it's got record pre-orders. Hell, my Amazon preorder was from like two years ago. People preordered it based on the name. A guy I know who BARELY plays video games any more can't stop posting about how excited he is for this. It's fucking FFVII! This is (read: should be) a landmark event.

But anyway-- just think of the drop in sales. How many of those who bought this are going to buy Episode 2? I can't imagine it'll be anywhere near 100% carryover.

ExpandKong

Banned
Bullshit. Midgar got 1st episode cause it's the biggest location in the game. Other locations were small. They just wait for the next gen cause they need more power to present it. I trust them, the game runs on ps4 with beatiful graphics.

:rolleyes: Yeah you’re right dude, my mistake. The power of next gen hardware will inspire the FF team to stop phoning in their world designs.

Midgar got first episode...because it's the first location in the game.

Last edited:
M

Mr.Vodoo

Unconfirmed Member
I've watched some walkthroughs of this game, and surprisingly, I'm not a fan. Sephiroth was a mysterious person thought dead in the original. You get to see him for the first time inside the Shinra HQ in the original, and you rarely see him during the entire game. But this game changes everything. There is little mystery to him now. He shows up several times.

Remember how surprised we were to find President Shinra dead around his desk with Sephiroth's sword in his back? That is all thrown out the door, and I hate it. Everything is so open now with the villain. It stinks of fan service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paracelsus

I've watched some walkthroughs of this game, and surprisingly, I'm not a fan. Sephiroth was a mysterious person thought dead in the original. You get to see him for the first time inside the Shinra HQ in the original, and you rarely see him during the entire game. But this game changes everything. There is little mystery to him now. He shows up several times.

Remember how surprised we were to find President Shinra dead around his desk with Sephiroth's sword in his back? That is all thrown out the door, and I hate it. Everything is so open now with the villain. It stinks of fan service.

The game is the equivalent of

It already has done well. I'm sure it's got record pre-orders. Hell, my Amazon preorder was from like two years ago. People preordered it based on the name. A guy I know who BARELY plays video games any more can't stop posting about how excited he is for this. It's fucking FFVII! This is (read: should be) a landmark event.

But anyway-- just think of the drop in sales. How many of those who bought this are going to buy Episode 2? I can't imagine it'll be anywhere near 100% carryover.

True. SE's bait and switch has worked, for now. Though, I'm sure there are quite a few who cancelled their preorders like us. But, I think you are right, once it sets in that they aren't following FF7 anymore, the next episode is going to have quite the drop off.

base

Banned
:rolleyes: Yeah you’re right dude, my mistake. The power of next gen hardware will inspire the FF team to stop phoning in their world designs.

Midgar got first episode...because it's the first location in the game.
You xbox users have to wait a year for the game to be released. Meanwhile go somewhere else.

Tiamat2san

I was reluctant to enter this thread but I heard they changed the story I loved so much, I entered.
I am glad of the spoils so I won’t be disappointed that much.
Now I know I’ll play an alternate version and I am fine with that.

The only disappointment I have is that I hyped my wife so much about it and the story ( she’s 29, 15 years younger than me and will never play a turn base RPG with PS1 graphics), so I hope it’s still good even if it’s different.

GymWolf

Gold Member
what a stupid thing to ask.

they wrote on videogame journals or yt gaming blog, they have to be experts with good tier tastes...aren't they??

i'm flabbergasted at your idea than normal players who played videogamet for 30 years can have better knowledge compared to this people.

i mean, have you read reviews from top site like ign and gamespot? cmon dude.

Last edited:
What's frustrating is that this seems like it would be so hard to screw up. The Midgar sequence is an entirely self-contained storyline the ends on a great cliffhanger - Sephiroth impaling President Shinra - to lead into the next game. Yet for some reason they preferred to just blow the whole thing up.

What's sad is that now it will only be enjoyed by FF7 fanboys, not actual fans. The fanboys will do the fanboy thing, make excuses for any flaws and act like the new story is better than the OG one, wanting FF7 in whatever form it comes in.

They could have made an actual remake that pleased 90% of the people who liked the OG. Now, they'll be lucky to please 30%-40%. All because they couldn't help themselves and decided to make FF7: Genisys instead of an actual FF7 Remake.

GymWolf

Gold Member
i'm actually conflicted, i have the game preordered but i fear of getting even more mad when i'm gonna watch this shitshow with my eyes and all this bullshit only make me want to restart the original just to wash my mind...

i mean, at this point i'm only buying it just to see the technical aspect and very little more...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Most reviews are pointless I've found. I have no problem making my own informed decision about whether to get a game or not. I'm sure the gameplay took some cues from Type 0 and XV and built up on that which is fine. But based on the fanfic narrative, very misleading title for the game itself (may as well call it FF7: New Testament and something dumb like that) and the lack of GILGAMESH the game is full of suck.

I'm starting to see a trend here in the recent FF titles where gameplay, graphics and production values are top notch but the scenario writing is just complete ass. And they are going to draw it out in episodic fashion. Makes me want to vomit.

I think I'll just laugh in DQXI. Love that game for everything it's given me. A story I can follow, nice gameplay, and a very charming atmosphere and a full product.

And that will be my 2 cents on this "remake".

Paracelsus

Since this is the spoiler thread can someone explain this better. I saw him get stabbed but for what purpose, does he die? Is it another reality or what?

The ghosts are apparently there to protect the timeline of the original game. The game makes a point to show them in a way that emphasizes it. Reno about to get killed? No, he plays a role later. Cloud being told he's a fraud? We need the guy sane, shut up. Barret being killed? He's needed, forget about it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
ShenMue did that whole thing where each game was just a sliver of the whole story. Well guess what? We know how this story ends. Which is probably why they’re trying to rewrite it. Rewrite it, so you can drag it on. Wait for the Kickstarter campaign and help fund the next entry. Haha joking of course. I’m itching to witness this myself. My Preload has been sitting for a while now.

MagnesG

Banned
I will really not gonna bother with boring fetch quests/ kill 50 monsters and often linear than not world set pieces. Even some reviewers mentioned the gameplay actions getting stale faster due to bullet sponge bosses with lesser variation of working playstyles. Going through most of the positive points this game have, maybe I should I treat this as what they seem more to focus on, a flashy cgi reimagining movie.

Off to Youtube game movie playlist is what how this ends, not missing much if I just watch it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Why do you guys think that the next part of the remake won’t follow 7 at all?

I’m aware, timeline protectors being killed and all, but I don’t think Square Enix is just going to drop the natural course of FF7 and create an entirely new game.

What seems most likely is proceeding down the traditional path, with all kinds of twists along the way. Essentially the original story, and this time-bending craziness happening in parallel.

Sephimoth

What's sad is that now it will only be enjoyed by FF7 fanboys, not actual fans. The fanboys will do the fanboy thing, make excuses for any flaws and act like the new story is better than the OG one, wanting FF7 in whatever form it comes in.

They could have made an actual remake that pleased 90% of the people who liked the OG. Now, they'll be lucky to please 30%-40%. All because they couldn't help themselves and decided to make FF7: Genisys instead of an actual FF7 Remake.
Wouldn't say I'm a fanboy but FF7 is my #1 of all time. I nearly vomited at that end section. I seriously hope they get hard backlash and patch it out

Malakhov

Banned
Crap I want to play this but don't need a PS4 except for this game.

Costco has a 90 days return policy on consoles, I could buy the game and play it then return the console after but I'd feel like shite doing this...

All i wanted was the original in nice graphics.
when will i learn that new square can't make stuff now.

honestly stuff shoulda stayed the way they are since ff9 lol.

Yup. They haven't made a good mainline FF for almost 20 years (and frankly even X wasn't all that great either) , I understand people really wanted this to deliver but with the current devs, that's just not going to happen.

These guys seem hell bent on making absolutely anything BUT a traditional FF experience. The dev time for their games are FAR too long, the costs FAR too high and the absurd focus on bells and whistles is extremely detrimental to what it actually should be about and what made people love these games in the first place.

Newk86

What they've done has really got me a bit depressed unfortunately. I wasn't even down to play it straight away but was checking in to see how it was all going and share the excitement. I had low expectations too.

2020 has been a real bitch so far.

squallheart

Same cancelled my pre-order. When it was first announced I was excited and then they showed game play i was like oh crap this is gonna suck like kingdom hearts and crisis core (I hate kingdom hearts). Then my younger brother who never played FF told me about the negativity and decided to read up on it and damn it I knew this was going to happen. He wanted know what I read and he is a big kingdom hearts fan but said he hated 3 and cant finish it cause how bad it is. After I explained the story he was like yup they went full kingdom hearts. With the amount of time traveling they are doing might as well get the back to the future license.

Top Bottom