• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Spoilers Thread!

Shrap

The writing in this was so bad. You literally (as in the actual meaning of the word) fight destiny and Aerith is yelling "we can do it! we can win!" constantly. What does that even mean?

I got so sick of Cloud having those cliche painful flashbacks that physically cripple him. Of course they had to shovel Sephiroth in as much as possible for fan service. Not to mention his voice is complete shit; he sounds like a nerd trying to be menacing.

i have a shopping list of problems with this game but let me sum it up by saying this is still the same Square Enix that lost their way long ago. Almost all of their failings over the past decade are here in full form. TIME GHOSTS!

Fuck that restrictive camera and movement bullshit. I want to be able to run and look around freely. I seriously think they added an hour or two to the playtime with all the "right now you can only walk at a snails pace" sections.

STOP with the groans, grunts, saying each other's name a million times, laughing at everything and all the other anime bullshit. It's god awful writing and is nothing like how people act. Writing in video games is past that now.

That covers roughly 10% of my complaints about this game which is around 10% of the original game yet it still managed to derail the plot. Alternate timelines/destiny breaking is such a cop out and poor writing.

Last edited:

wzy

You know, I was expecting the bad music, worse combat, cut content, sidequest bloat and dramatically slowed-down pace of the story, but I failed completely to consider the Nomura factor. I knew they would have to re-design the whole plot to be something other than a travelogue since no videogame will ever feature more than one distinct location ever again, but it never occurred to me that they would pull something this idiotically bonkers and layer it on top of a story that's already extremely difficult to comprehend. Bravo, you beautiful idiot hacks! At the very least it's another digit off the Monkey's Paw.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Gonna play this via game sharing on ps4 since why not but man this sounds like they Kingdom Hearts'd this to hell.

Just finished the game last night and wow that was unexpected. So after sleeping on it and reading through others thoughts i have come to the conclusion this is going to be EPIC and here is my theory.

It was night when the crew went into the portal and day when they came out. This symbolizes the two different dimensions. It seems the defeeted Sephiroth from the original discovered the alternate dimension and has decided the only way to "win" is to do it though that one. I feel that the dead one informed the alive one somehow, maybe through the life stream? I also feel that the Arieth that died in the original also discovered this and has found a way to inform her other self. The reason i believe that is only Arieth and Sephiroth seem to know what the hell is going on and both opened the portal back to back. The fight with the arbiters/Sephiroth was inbetween dimensions, thats why there was no effects of the fight on either side of it as aftermath.

The reason this will be epic is because the team now looks to take a very similar journey as the original however it gives the dev team the creative freedom to add new twists and turns along the way. Also it seems that it could make for the ending to be dynamic based on decision you make in this alternative dimension. The clever thing about this is the original story happened and no matter what they (devs) do it dosen't change that. The ff7 crew stepped into an alternate dimension, Its a sidequel.

Playing back through a second time, im picking up on so much more stuff and i am really confident on my theory now. In Chapter two Cloud engages with Sephiroth and says "It cant be i killed you" or so he implies then Sephiroth says something along the lines of "I remember, it was our crowning moment" Cloud from this time is talking about when he stabbed Sephiroth back in Niblehiem but I think Sephiroth is talking about Cloud killing him at the end of the og version!!!!! Man this is cool stuff. Also the reason the wispers are following areith around is because she is trying to change fate through an alternate universe!!! Why did her character change to this quick witted playful version? Well she was like that before she died in the og version. She acts like she has known Cloud for a long time in this version, could she also be from the other universe!?!?

base

Banned
I still don't get the ending. We can see Zack holding Cloud. It's alternative timeline or what? And why the hell would they show Zack so early in the game. It's like they showed 60% of the stuff only in the EP1.

I still don't get the ending. We can see Zack holding Cloud. It's alternative timeline or what? And why the hell would they show Zack so early in the game. It's like they showed 60% of the stuff only in the EP1.
Its an alternative dimension, when they crossed at the portal it sent them into another reality. If you go back and read into what Sephiroth is saying throughout the game you come to realize that he must have figured this out after the events of the og version. My take anyway.

Griffon

This ending is as if I was about to finish the game but had a brain aneurysm and I'm hallucinating random trash.

Nomura is a fucking retard. I can't imagine a worse way to ruin everything, like straight up fuck it up. Both for old timers, but also for new players who aren't familiar with the original (it must be fucking confusing as FUCK to them). Like we stepped in some sort of retarded Kingdom Hearts dimension, all the while giving flash forwards to all the majors scenes to the protagonists themselves (like they see Aeris dying, the meteor, god damn everything).

I was actually super hyped for story changes, like Barret dying to sephiroth I was like way into it. But they had to cancel it in a fucking retarded metaphysical way, with dumbass thinly veiled metacommentary that even ruin what is there.

I'm completely checked out. This is worst than Mass Effect 3.
I used to still have some respect for Nomura and Square, giving them second chances all the time, but this is fully over. I'm fucking done.

Final Fantasy is dead.

Last edited:

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Is so easy to spot, they are trying to change the OG timeline and you can see it when cloud see the running scene of Red XIII (is the intro of Advent children, and is in the ending of the OG). It supposed to be 500 years after the OG ending, where they saved the planet.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Holy shit, that motorbike shit at the end is so damn unfun, shit camera angles, why is my bike going the wrong way. Need to take a break, have a migraine. After round three and adjusting, boy finally got through it.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

It never ceases to amaze me how companies can have a template of nigh perfection, with all the narrative and characterization laid out before them, something that is beloved by millions, has sold truckloads, Goddamn FAILSAFE....and still manage to so severely fuck it up. Not in relatively minor areas like a mis-characterization, cringey dialogue, or a questionable mechanical alteration, but going to the very core and compromising the foundations of what make something what it is.

What is it? Are they so out of touch they’re unaware of what defines their own creation to such success and admiration? Do they not respect the source material? Is it a form of passive aggressive contempt towards the fans? I’m left at a loss as to how something like this happens, and whenever it does, I’m almost brought to the belief this was just some massive troll job and that Nomura’s at home laughing his ass off with Kojima reading this thread, giving him a high five for his unparalleled writing acumen and narrative suggestions in helping to destroy one of the best stories in gaming.

They have to know that this is going to upset fans right? .....Right?? It’ll be interesting to see the sales for the next episode.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Ok the whole
church section after the fight with Reno where you have to climb on the roof
is pure garbage due to the clunky controls and camera. What kind of idiot designed that shit?

Edit: holy crap i posted in the spoiler thread thank God i didn't read any posts.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Just finished the game last night and wow that was unexpected. So after sleeping on it and reading through others thoughts i have come to the conclusion this is going to be EPIC and here is my theory.

It was night when the crew went into the portal and day when they came out. This symbolizes the two different dimensions. It seems the defeeted Sephiroth from the original discovered the alternate dimension and has decided the only way to "win" is to do it though that one. I feel that the dead one informed the alive one somehow, maybe through the life stream? I also feel that the Arieth that died in the original also discovered this and has found a way to inform her other self. The reason i believe that is only Arieth and Sephiroth seem to know what the hell is going on and both opened the portal back to back. The fight with the arbiters/Sephiroth was inbetween dimensions, thats why there was no effects of the fight on either side of it as aftermath.

The reason this will be epic is because the team now looks to take a very similar journey as the original however it gives the dev team the creative freedom to add new twists and turns along the way. Also it seems that it could make for the ending to be dynamic based on decision you make in this alternative dimension. The clever thing about this is the original story happened and no matter what they (devs) do it dosen't change that. The ff7 crew stepped into an alternate dimension, Its a sidequel.
I hate this shit (not your post, what they’re doing).

I can’t stand writing that doesn’t have the courage and integrity to stand behind the consequences of its own convictions. Because when you can simply cite an alternative universe to affect the one you’re in or vice versa, you have none. Everything loses weight. There’s no gravity, no finality. It’s cheap, lazy and a cop out. Sure, it leaves options open but it loses any real narrative impact.

Lethal01

They have to know that this is going to upset fans right? .....Right?? It’ll be interesting to see the sales for the next episode.

They know that for every fan that's mad there will be one that's super excited.

I disagree that the existence of parrellel timelines make the consequences lose weight. That only happens when they do something like bringing back a character that just definitively died by literally going back in time or something

I kind of understand people who are bothered by Barrett living after getting hurt but honestly when I see things like that what really bothers me is that someone doesn't just cast cure on him. For me, the parallel universes takes away about as much weight as the existence of cure magic.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I like the game a lot, but I'm not sure it really adds anything other than being pretty. After Chapter 4, you pretty much see all the same shit you saw in the original, only stretched thin. Here are my projections for how long each installment will be.

Part 2: Rejoined

Ch 1 - Kalm. Long Ass segment on the history Cloud and Sephiroth.
Ch 2 - Road to Chocobo Farm
Ch 3 - Doing lame ass side quests for Chocobo Farm. Midgar Zolom is a boss fight
Ch 4 - Mithril Mine. Boss fight with the Turks
Ch 5 - Some stupid ass chapter where Yuffie is introduced.
Ch 6 - Road to Junon
Ch 7 - Junon. Doing lame ass side quests in Junon
Ch 8- Upper Junon. Doing lame ass side quests while pretending to be a guard.
Ch 9 - Sneaking onto the ship
Ch 10- Doing ship chores
Ch 11 - The ship crew die. Final Boss is Jenova

Time: 40 hours

Part 3: Resumed
Ch 1 - Lame side quests in Costa Del Sol
Ch 2 - Road to Coral Part 1
Ch 3 - Mt. Coral
Ch 4 - Coral Train Tracks
Ch 5 - North Coral. Lame side quests to get a ticket to Gold Saucer.
Ch 6 - Gold Saucer. Lame side quests
Ch 7 - Prison
Ch 8 - Chocobo Racing
Ch 9 - Gongaga (no longer optional)
Ch 10 - Cosmo Canyon. Lame Side quests
Ch 11 - Ghost Canyon

Part 3: Rehersed
Ch 1 - Nibelheim. Lame Side quests
Ch 2 - Shinra Mansion. Sephiroth boss fight for some reason
Ch 3 - Mt Nibel
Ch 4 - Mt Nibel Reactor for some reason
Ch 5 - Road to Rocket Town
Ch 6 - Rocket Town. More lame side quests
Ch 7 - Road to Wutai Pt 1 (by sea)
Ch 8 -Road to Wutai Pt 2 (ground) Yuffie steals the materia
Ch 9 - Hunting for Yuffie around her stupid town
Ch 10 - Don Corneo proving on Elena and Yuffie
Ch 11 - Yuffie defeats her dad. Gets them to wake up and fight the Shinra

Part 4 - Rebaked
Ch 1 - The hunt for the Keystone. Lame side quest for the weapon dude
Ch 2 - More lame shit at the Gold Saucer / Date
Ch 3 - Cait sith betrayal side quest
Ch 4 - Road to temple of ancients part 1
Ch 5 - Road to temple of ancients part 2
Ch 6 - Temple of the ancients part 1
Ch 7 - Temple of the ancients part 2
Ch 8 - Demon wall
Ch 9 - Road to Bone village
Ch 10 - Lame side quests at Bone village
Ch 11 - sleeping forest
Ch 12 - road to temple of the ancients
Ch 13 - temple of the ancients. Somehow, lame ass side quests
Ch 14 - temple of the ancients dungeon. Jenova is the final boss. SPOILERS don't happen

Part 5 - Rebuild

Ch 1 - Road to icicle inn.
Ch 2 - Lame side quests for Icicle Inn
Ch 3 - Snowboarding lessons
Chp 4 - That snowy wasteland place
Chp 5 - Dealing with Snow or whatever they're going to call her now
Ch 6 - Climbing the Gaea cliff
Chapter 7 - Whirlwind Maze
Chapter 8 - Reunion
Chapter 9 - Escaping from Junon.

Time: 30 hours

Part 6 - Revisit
Chapter 1 - The hunt for Cloud
Chapter 2 - Lame ass side quests in Mideel
Chapter 3 - Lame side quests at Fort Condor
Chapter 4 - The hunt for Huge Materia Part 1, Condor Fort
Chapter 4 - The hunt for Huge Materia Part 2, Train shit
Chatper 5 - Lame side quests at North Coral again
Chapter 6 - Lame Side quests to get into Underwater Reactor
Chapter 7 - The hunt for Huge Materia Part 3 - Underwater reactor
Chapter 6 - The hunt for Huge Materia Part 4 - Attack on Rocket Town
Chapter 7 - In Space. Bahamut Zero will be a boss fight.
Chapter 8 - Ultima Weapon attacks Mideel
Chapter 9 - Inside Cloud's dumb ass head. Boss fight with Sephiroth

Part 7 - Reunion
Chapter 1 : Return to Cosmo Canyon, complete with more BS side quests
Chapter 2 : Bugenhagen explains that the timeline is fucked. Says Aerith was supposed to die in order to save the planet.
Chapter 3: Underwater Chapter. Raid the Gelnika (no longer optional). Get the Key to the City of the Ancients there
Chapter 4: See how the timeline was supposed to play out. Aerith decides she's going to have to die.
Chapter 5: Diamond Weapon attacks Midgar
Chapter 7: Raid on Midgar. Arrive and do shit in Sector 8. Wutai and Biggs help.
Chapter 8: Underplate
Chapter 9: Back in the city. Chapter ends with Proud Clad fight
Chapter 10: The Sister Ray
Chapter 11: The night before the big battle
Chapter 12: North Crater Part 1
Chapter 13: North Crater Part 2
Chapter 14: North Crater Part 3
Chapter 15: The descent to the core
Chapter 16: Jenova Synthesis
Chapter 17: Bizarro Sephiroth
Chapter 18: Safer Sephiroth
Chapter 19: Aerith tanks Super Nova and dies. Cloud enters the life stream and duel with Sephiroth

Time; 50 hours.

It's going to be such fucking slog.

d[-_-]b

Banned
They know that for every fan that's mad there will be one that's super excited.

I disagree that the existence of parrellel timelines make the consequences lose weight. That only happens when they do something like bringing back a character that just definitively died by literally going back in time or something

I kind of understand people who are bothered by Barrett living after getting hurt but honestly when I see things like that what really bothers me is that someone doesn't just cast cure on him. For me, the parallel universes takes away about as much weight as the existence of cure magic.
This shit got me with Biggs and Jessie, like why not cast cure, do something, don't pretend materia doesn't exist for the story line or kill them off before I get there and show a recording of their death.

heitoo

Neo Member
Its an alternative dimension, when they crossed at the portal it sent them into another reality. If you go back and read into what Sephiroth is saying throughout the game you come to realize that he must have figured this out after the events of the og version. My take anyway.

That's not how I interpreted it. The sequence with Zack might just be a confirmation that we're in a different timeline from original, that multiple timelines exist and the Aerith's reaction (how she "misses steal skies") tells us that we're in a timeline different from the one where Zack has lived.

Lethal01

This shit got me with Biggs and Jessie, like why not cast cure, do something, don't pretend materia doesn't exist for the story line or kill them off before I get there and show a recording of their death.

Yeah, it's not like actually doing it would stop death from happening either. Show them covering a huge cut with blood coming out. Or if that's too much for the rating. just have them covering up a spot them cut to clouds reaction when they uncover the would.

Or for the very show them trying cure and then have the character indicate it's not working.

@Nomura
designing-agile-innovating-the-agile-team-16-638.jpg

Why did you have to add this extraneous Fate/Destiny Bullshit? Why is Sephiroth a big deal in Midgar zone? He's supposed to be unknown/mysterious for the beginning part of the game. Why is Roche? Why is Advent Children anime tacked on the last 30 min. of the game while the rest was so good?

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

That remains to be seen, I wouldn’t put it past them at this point.

Yeah, I generally try not to compare the logic found in a game’s battle system or mechanics to the overarching narrative it works to serve, especially in a game where the main narrative is core to the experience as it’s only opening a can of worms. When you’re dealing with magic you can literally pull anything into any context.

chitzy

Banned
I like the game a lot, but I'm not sure it really adds anything other than being pretty. After Chapter 4, you pretty much see all the same shit you saw in the original, only stretched thin. Here are my projections for how long each installment will be.

Ch 3 - Doing lame ass side quests for Chocobo Farm. Midgar Zolom is a boss fight
Ch 6 - Road to Junon
Ch 10- Doing ship chores

Ch 3 - Mt. Coral
Ch 7 - Prison
Ch 8 - Chocobo Racing
Ch 11 - Ghost Canyon

Ch 3 - Mt Nibel

Part 4 - Rebaked
Ch 8 - Demon wall
Ch 11 - sleeping forest
Ch 14 - temple of the ancients dungeon. Jenova is the final boss. SPOILERS don't happen

Part 5 - Rebuild

Chapter 8 - Reunion

Part 6 - Revisit

Part 7 - Reunion
Chapter 2 : Bugenhagen explains that the timeline is fucked. Says Aerith was supposed to die in order to save the planet.
Chapter 3: Underwater Chapter. Raid the Gelnika (no longer optional). Get the Key to the City of the Ancients there
Chapter 4: See how the timeline was supposed to play out. Aerith decides she's going to have to die.
Chapter 7: Raid on Midgar. Arrive and do shit in Sector 8. Wutai and Biggs help.
Chapter 19: Aerith tanks Super Nova and dies. Cloud enters the life stream and duel with Sephiroth

Time; 50 hours.

Next part should be "Retarded"

Why doesn't the planet blow up when Sephiroth casts Supernova? Hmmm...
mUy2rB.gif

This game is the Elite Dangerous of JRPGS.

Lots of prettiness to mask the convoluted lore and mile wide inch deep gameplay and you'll need to make multiple purchases to get the whole story and interactivity.

We went from releasing complete games to horse armor dlc to season passes to releasing older games in episodic format.

The irony that horse armor was the trojan horse to what has lead us here and now the most revered game of all time is being used to achieve what horse armor did for the previous generation.

The precedent for this was the multitude of FF15 content and its royal edition nonsense and now 8 and 9 will receive the same treatment along with all future FF/KH games.

Last edited:
This ending is as if I was about to finish the game but had a brain aneurysm and I'm hallucinating random trash.

Nomura is a fucking retard. I can't imagine a worse way to ruin everything, like straight up fuck it up. Both for old timers, but also for new players who aren't familiar with the original (it must be fucking confusing as FUCK to them). Like we stepped in some sort of retarded Kingdom Hearts dimension, all the while giving flash forwards to all the majors scenes to the protagonists themselves (like they see Aeris dying, the meteor, god damn everything).

I was actually super hyped for story changes, like Barret dying to sephiroth I was like way into it. But they had to cancel it in a fucking retarded metaphysical way, with dumbass thinly veiled metacommentary that even ruin what is there.

I used to still have some respect for Nomura and Square, giving them second chances all the time, but this is fully over. I'm fucking done.

Final Fantasy is dead.

yeah the way this must come across to 'new' players is nonsensical

the whole thing relies on you being familiar with the story already which destroys the narrative

Lethal01

Why doesn't the planet blow up when Sephiroth casts Supernova? Hmmm...
mUy2rB.gif

Yep, when we get to that they will obviously need to find a way for it not to look idiotic. Point is that let's not act like this universe doesn't already provide more than enough way for characters to escape death.

That said Materia is super basic stuff. We literally see cloud using it to cook so it's really jarring when they act like they can do literally nothing when people are hurt.

Final Fantasy is dead.

Just like they took the biggest scifi series, biggest super heros and etc to push all these current year narratives or destroy the series to create an excuse to reboot it, FFVII, the biggest rpg of all time, is being either Star Wars'd or Electronic Arts'd.

The release of the 2nd part will tell us which.

Still surprised Aeris/Aerith wasnt put in a love triangle with Square and Barret. That how ludicrous Square has become in my eyes.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Final Fantasy is dead.

And we were worried about the combat system and the size of Tifa's boobs.

Oh, how naive we were.

Lethal01

Like I said I got no problems when it comes to the writing in the ending. Only nitpick I wanted to get out is they should have found more ways to transition into Clouds flash backs since it gets repetitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pantz

Shit, I already dropped two tears upon arrival to the Ch. 4 Mid-Level Employee Housing (after the first motorcycle section). The music, plus the environment, with the long-distance view down the road got to me. That's pure FF right there. I know, I'm playing really slow.

Anyways, even after being super-skeptical about this game, that's all I needed. Don't really care anymore about the annoying camera or weird changes to the story.

martino

And we were worried about the combat system and the size of Tifa's boobs.

Oh, how naive we were.

They sacrificed the ending and the next game will be its own thing.
Imo it's not great for this game but not a bad move for the others part.
They will able to mix nostalgia and new things. They will not have to turn existing text into hours of cinematic and maybe we will have a more polished gameplay.
Because this is where the game is meh to me. Lots of problems, the game don't know what he really is, it's not really against all enemy because of partner ia etc...
Sure they will also need to give us something better than the harry potter mop.

Dacon

Banned

Ch 6 - Road to Junon
Ch 10- Doing ship chores

Ch 3 - Mt. Coral
Ch 7 - Prison
Ch 8 - Chocobo Racing
Ch 11 - Ghost Canyon

Ch 3 - Mt Nibel

Part 4 - Rebaked
Ch 8 - Demon wall
Ch 11 - sleeping forest

Part 5 - Rebuild

Chapter 8 - Reunion

Part 6 - Revisit

Part 7 - Reunion

Time; 50 hours.

You're assuming that any of that even happens anymore.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Ch 6 - Road to Junon
Ch 10- Doing ship chores

Ch 3 - Mt. Coral
Ch 7 - Prison
Ch 8 - Chocobo Racing
Ch 11 - Ghost Canyon

Ch 3 - Mt Nibel

Part 4 - Rebaked
Ch 8 - Demon wall
Ch 11 - sleeping forest

Part 5 - Rebuild

Chapter 8 - Reunion

Part 6 - Revisit

Part 7 - Reunion

Time; 50 hours.

So you reckon each on of those is also going to be a £/$ 50 per pop - so £400 for the whole experience?

mortal

STOP with the groans, grunts, saying each other's name a million times, laughing at everything and all the other anime bullshit. It's god awful writing and is nothing like how people act. Writing in video games is past that now.
I cannot fucking stand this shit lol. People do not naturally talk like this. I have no idea why they insist on making their dubs sound like this.
A better writer + good voice director would elevate the storytelling in Final Fantasy games 10 fold. Same goes for Kingdom Hearts (although that might be a lost cause)

What makes it worse it how unexpressive character faces are in the game. Even when emoting with anger or excitement, the character faces look like victims of a botched botox surgery.
Eyebrows, forehead, and cheeks naturally push and pull when we emote; but Square Enix seems reluctant to portray their characters in any other light that isn't perfectly beautiful and handsome.
So it often ends up being jarring, and they look like dolls that haven't been fully rigged for animation, rather than properly expressive characters acting and emoting.

Last edited:

DjMystix

I really enjoyed the game play, combat, revisiting the original frame by frame, exploring midgar in breathtaking graphics, all except the ending. But with this ending, can they just not do the alternate universe shit and stick to original storyline based on fan reaction? I mean they left it completely open to go either way..

Top Bottom