• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD coming to PS4/Xbox One (no Vita), Agito coming too (iOS/And)

So this is another image from Type-0 HD? It's from a recent campaign for Agito in Japan:

1shzvr.jpg

(link)

Kikujiro

Probably because SE likes to Bullshot with the best of them. Check out this Drag on Dragoon 3 announcement and screenshot release and check out the actual game. I don't really trust Square to release accurate screens.

What? Other than the IQ the images are exactly how the game looks (bad). In fact some of the screens look even worse than the actual game on TV.
Every single publisher does this, I guess you don't trust any of them.

And the guy was doubting S-E CGs, saying that they don't put any effort into them, which is random bullshit.

Wereroku

What? Other than the IQ the images are exactly how the game looks (bad). In fact some of the screens look even worse than the actual game on TV.
Every single publisher does this, I guess you don't trust any of them.

And the guy was doubting S-E CGs, saying that they don't put any effort into them, which is random bullshit.

Dude I assure you those look a lot better than what was released in both IQ and textures. Didn't realize the guy was questioning their CG prowess except for the fake look on FFXHD now they still look quite good. I just don't think the screens you are showing are going to look like the game that is released.

Pooya

So this is another image from Type-0 HD? It's from a recent campaign for Agito in Japan:

1shzvr.jpg

(link)

If that's how world map looks like now, wow :eek:

I'll wait for some real footage, whenever that is, until then I remain skeptical that this is a simple PSP port to PS4! I'm not expecting much either way but I don't buy it that it's just a PSP uprez port, specially with these shots they're throwing around, right could be all BS, still. That's just not going to work...

Maybe we get a famitsu interview or something like that.

edit: this how it looks like now:

Shinta

Banned
If that's how world map looks like now, wow :eek:

I'll wait for some real footage, whenever that is, until then I remain skeptical that this is a simple PSP port to PS4! I'm not expecting much either way but I don't buy it that it's just a PSP uprez port, specially with these shots they're throwing around, right could be all BS, still. That's just not going to work...

Maybe we get a famitsu interview or something like that.

edit: this how it looks like now:
Damn, that is pretty convincing.

LuuKyK

Wow, talk about upgrading a game visuals. Consider me surprised.

I remember playing the demo and the overworld looked quite horrendous.

Edit: Yep, just like in that image miladesn posted. x_x

I don't doubt that this port might be low effort, but I seriously can't see them just doing a straight PSP port. I don't expect a full blown remake, either; Maybe something along the lines of the FFX/KH HD ports.

That beach comparison pic leads me to believe the latter, thankfully.

If those HD promo images are to be believed, that shit is clearly running on a new engine. It is not a simple HD upgrade.

I hope so.... but then again this is Square-Enix so I can't trust them. Would they simply call this FF Type-0 "HD" if they are doing a remake on a new engine?

If they are actually putting effort to remake/upgrade visuals significantly... how long do we have to wait?

FF Type-0 -- late 2015 - 2016 release
FFXV -- 2017 - never

sounds about right

Skilletor

Character models look like the character models from FFv13 when they showed it on ps3. Same kind of glowing thing going on around the edges.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't doubt that this port might be low effort, but I seriously can't see them just doing a straight PSP port. I don't expect a full blown remake, either; Maybe something along the lines of the FFX/KH HD ports.

That beach comparison pic leads me to believe the latter, thankfully.

The same models are being used for the environment in that picture from the PSP version. If that picture is a real representation in the game, they added a different light source but it's still a remaster of existing content.

The same models are being used for the environment in that picture from the PSP version. If that picture is a real representation in the game, they added a different light source but it's still a remaster of existing content.

Are you sure? Is possible, since we can't see it clearly, but at least the added lightning and textures implies there's some effort here. Also the added details like that rock.

Also it seems the scale have been changed, seemingly to change the world map for field exploration...

There's also the first image, these seems to be added aditional geometry to the backgrounds. I mean that sounds too much of an effort for a HD port, but if possible they want to crack up the visuals of the game enough so they have a "real" FF until XV comes out....

I don't think this will be a simple HD remaster. Did you see that shot of Ace from the front? At least the character models have greatly improved, assuming it isn't CG.

biocat

It's really kind of a strange promotion as they have yet to announce it here, and Agito isn't out in the West yet (is it?)

Yeah. Really strange. Even the website specifies that it's in commemoration of the announcement of the North American HD version. I think SE is just looking for any excuse to make some campaign that might attract Agito players. It got a pretty shit welcome here, not that it didn't deserve it.

KtSlime

Yeah. Really strange. Even the website specifies that it's in commemoration of the announcement of the North American HD version. I think SE is just looking for any excuse to make some campaign that might attract Agito players. It got a pretty shit welcome here, not that it didn't deserve it.

Yeah, Maybe I'll start logging in this weekend and see what they've changed. I thought the gameplay was okay, and the possibility for item creation and character growth were quite well done, but the loadtimes killed it for me. My train ride to work is already consumed by DQMSL. Agito probably wouldn't even be finished loading by the time I get to my stop.

I don't understand why such a hard delineation between what is and is not a remaster is being made. No doubt it is not a remake, they are not going to rewrite and recreate all the assets, but I don't see why they wouldn't at least pull in the higher quality assets they used for the CG scenes, bullshots or Agito, maybe doing a tweak here and there. I know that SE has really worn through what little trust they had left, but I think even SE knows that the most important part of a video game to Western gamers is the graphics. That's got to be part of the reason they chose this platform over some other platform. Seems weird they would make the decision to go with the platform capable of the 'best' graphics, and with enough headroom to import yesteryears CG quality models for free, without needing to do any optimisations and not do so. Or am I mistaken, are the PSP in game models really the highest quality models they have?

Well yeah, that's kind of my point. There's some sort of retouching (however minor it may end up being) going on, at the very least. Better that than uprezzing the PSP assets as-is and calling it a day, in any case.

Really the key thing about this discussion is for people to have realistic expectations. An added-on lighting engine, some fixed-up textures, maybe swapping in existing cutscene models for existing gameplay ones. But people need to understand the scope of this project relative to FFX -- that is, how this one is smaller. Look at FFX remastered: that is more than will be done for this game.

Really the key thing about this discussion is for people to have realistic expectations. An added-on lighting engine, some fixed-up textures, maybe swapping in existing cutscene models for existing gameplay ones. But people need to understand the scope of this project relative to FFX -- that is, how this one is smaller. Look at FFX remastered: that is more than will be done for this game.

Well, I'm not expecting a full remake, but there seems to be more effort that it seems, there seems to be some sort of normal mapping in the characters, added effects like reflections in the puddles, and details and geometry if we go by the beach shot compared to the PSP version.

I think all that put them beyond what FF X did in terms of visuals, yet is clear is not a full remake. At least that's the impression I get by the 2 images.

duckroll

I don't agree with charlequin and Kagari at all. I don't see any reason why people should hold back expectations, especially not when we're talking about Square Enix. They're one of the greatest developers in the world, and a shining beacon of Japanese prowess in the gaming industry. I can't think of a single reason why people would not expect the very best from them. Clearly Final Fantasy Type-0 HD will be a full blown remake showing the world just a taste of what Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 will be like. Full 1080p, 60fps, redesigned game to take full advantage of the current-gen hardware and networking capabilities, new models, new animations, new lighting, and full online co-op play.

Negativity is for losers, the real winners are the ones who firmly look towards the future and see the glory which The Last Guardian will bring.

I don't agree with charlequin and Kagari at all. I don't see any reason why people should hold back expectations, especially not when we're talking about Square Enix. They're one of the greatest developers in the world, and a shining beacon of Japanese prowess in the gaming industry. I can't think of a single reason why people would not expect the very best from them. Clearly Final Fantasy Type-0 HD will be a full blown remake showing the world just a taste of what Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 will be like. Full 1080p, 60fps, redesigned game to take full advantage of the current-gen hardware and networking capabilities, new models, new animations, new lighting, and full online co-op play.

Negativity is for losers, the real winners are the ones who firmly look towards the future and see the glory which The Last Guardian will bring.

I wish I was you.

v2OuXtY.gif

Toth

I would like that since it would help the game come out much sooner.

KtSlime

:(

We need some JRPGs on X1/PS4

Unless you can figure out how to get more systems to sell in Japan so Japanese developers have more of an incentive on releasing their software, you are in for a long wait.

I would like that since it would help the game come out much sooner.

No matter how soon this game comes out (not soon) it won't make XV come out any quicker.

Duckroll: that does bring up an interesting point, I wonder what are their plans with the existing multiplay features. Just cut them? Probably wouldn't interest Westerners that much anyway.

Sou

charlequin and kagari are not even saying the same things.

I am really happy about this announcement but every time I see this topic pop up, I'm always hoping that it's a confirmation of a release date. I'm scared that this gets Versus XIII'ed /:

Nags

Banned

I'm naming my child after you.

Shahed

I am really happy about this announcement but every time I see this topic pop up, I'm always hoping that it's a confirmation of a release date. I'm scared that this gets Versus XIII'ed /:

I look forward to the E3 where PS5 debuts. we'll see a trailer of this game. At the end of it they'll pull some special effect and have the logo change from Final Fantasy Type-0 HD to Final Fantasy Type-0 4K

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

"The greatest developers in the world" made All The Bravest. *glare*

While I hope they do good with Type 0 HD I'm still gonna have low expectations so I won't be disappointed later.

Takao

Banned
y'all fell for that?
ducky had me until me until he ended that second sentence without saying "Square Enix's HD remasters".

AmanoBuff

Unless you can figure out how to get more systems to sell in Japan so Japanese developers have more of an incentive on releasing their software, you are in for a long wait.

No matter how soon this game comes out (not soon) it won't make XV come out any quicker.

Duckroll: that does bring up an interesting point, I wonder what are their plans with the existing multiplay features. Just cut them? Probably wouldn't interest Westerners that much anyway.

Besides timing a possible 2015/2016 release for this (when PS3/X360 will be mostly gone in the U.S.), I think SQEX might bring this to Japan as well to start building an audience on next-gen systems and to get the ball rolling with other developers if successful.

It still surprises me that they haven't announced this in any form for Japan yet. Perhaps they'll wait for TGS?

kuroshiki

Last guardian? What?

Well, I'm not expecting a full remake, but there seems to be more effort that it seems, there seems to be some sort of normal mapping in the characters, added effects like reflections in the puddles, and details and geometry if we go by the beach shot compared to the PSP version.

This is precisely the type of elevated expectations I am warning people against.

charlequin and kagari are not even saying the same things.

What do you see us disagreeing on, exactly?

Top Bottom