• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD coming to PS4/Xbox One (no Vita), Agito coming too (iOS/And)

HeelPower

I don't agree with charlequin and Kagari at all. I don't see any reason why people should hold back expectations, especially not when we're talking about Square Enix. They're one of the greatest developers in the world, and a shining beacon of Japanese prowess in the gaming industry. I can't think of a single reason why people would not expect the very best from them. Clearly Final Fantasy Type-0 HD will be a full blown remake showing the world just a taste of what Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 will be like. Full 1080p, 60fps, redesigned game to take full advantage of the current-gen hardware and networking capabilities, new models, new animations, new lighting, and full online co-op play.

Negativity is for losers, the real winners are the ones who firmly look towards the future and see the glory which The Last Guardian will bring.

You may not agree with this but you are right.

Anyway that PSP world map screen looked horrendous.This is a much needed HD remaster lol

zeromcd73

I don't agree with charlequin and Kagari at all. I don't see any reason why people should hold back expectations, especially not when we're talking about Square Enix. They're one of the greatest developers in the world, and a shining beacon of Japanese prowess in the gaming industry. I can't think of a single reason why people would not expect the very best from them. Clearly Final Fantasy Type-0 HD will be a full blown remake showing the world just a taste of what Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 will be like. Full 1080p, 60fps, redesigned game to take full advantage of the current-gen hardware and networking capabilities, new models, new animations, new lighting, and full online co-op play.

Negativity is for losers, the real winners are the ones who firmly look towards the future and see the glory which The Last Guardian will bring.

tumblr_mlsd1oS6LF1ryzizgo1_500.gif

HeelPower

I am really happy about this announcement but every time I see this topic pop up, I'm always hoping that it's a confirmation of a release date. I'm scared that this gets Versus XIII'ed /:

This game has already been Versified to hell and back.

Its been years since this was announced and released in Japan.Years.This game was announced in the infamous 2006 conference.

Knowing SE, I really wouldn't be surprised if this remaster goes wrong and stays in the oven till late 2015 or ,worse, feb 2016.

Squire

Banned

Legendary.

Asd202

10/10.

please-be-excited-squ14snv.jpg

So does Kagari or anyone who would know, know if Square have any interest in getting around FFXII HD eventually?

My understanding is a lot of the people who made that game are no longer with the company so maybe some of the passion and interest in the game isnt with the company anymore aswell so they might have no one pushing for it.

Of course after the success of FFX HD it would be a no brainer to do the next entry in the series but its square enix and I have come to expect disappointment.

I dont expect Type 0 HD until mid / late next year and then FF15 the year after (maybe) and probably a Kingdom Hearts Collection on next gen at somepoint in between all that as well so I am not sure they will ever get around to remastering XII

Silky

Banned

The Last Guardian doesn't exist.

Otherwise I agree with you.

Sticking to your mod friends, we understand.

Are you suggesting they will remove the multiplayer mode? You will not be welcome in the online play thread.

i6CWtlBc4AcPt.gif

Zomba13

Like I've said earlier in this thread I'm keeping my expectations low. If SE do manage a good job of this then I get to be pleasantly surprised and might end up double dipping for the port/remake/remaster/HD version. If it ends up being disappointing and not the total conversion, new engine, new lighting, new models, new textures, new cutscenes, new 1080p FMVs, new bonus content, better multiplayer and free puppy that some people are expecting then I won't feel let down.

So does Kagari or anyone who would know, know if Square have any interest in getting around FFXII HD eventually?

My understanding is a lot of the people who made that game are no longer with the company so maybe some of the passion and interest in the game isnt with the company anymore aswell so they might have no one pushing for it.

Of course after the success of FFX HD it would be a no brainer to do the next entry in the series but its square enix and I have come to expect disappointment.

I dont expect Type 0 HD until mid / late next year and then FF15 the year after (maybe) and probably a Kingdom Hearts Collection on next gen at somepoint in between all that as well so I am not sure they will ever get around to remastering XII

They've been doing HD (or remaster) ports since FF1 (for the psp, ios/android) all the way up to FF6, released FF7 and 8 on PC (not remasters), FFX/X-2 HD, even the KH's up until KH3D.

Looking at this trend, I don't doubt that FF12 HD will be coming eventually. I mean, they've even done a FF Type-0 HD so I would hope they have a FF12 HD port planned

Zukuu

Banned
After finishing the PSP, I don't think it'll be a major hit. The game starts out great but becomes more and more a hassle to play. I had to force myself to finish it after some point. There are some questionable design decisions later in the game. Unless they fix some stuff apart from graphics, the game is pretty mediocre overall.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Your set of realistic expectation is a lot more than what Kagari is leading people to believe.

Hm? I've mentioned that people should look to games like MGS Peacewalker and the God of War PSP remasters to have an idea what to expect here.

Pooya

Really the key thing about this discussion is for people to have realistic expectations. An added-on lighting engine, some fixed-up textures, maybe swapping in existing cutscene models for existing gameplay ones. But people need to understand the scope of this project relative to FFX -- that is, how this one is smaller. Look at FFX remastered: that is more than will be done for this game.

What do you see us disagreeing on, exactly?

I really don't see how you can say this is going to be lower effort than that if these couple of shots we have are to be taken into consideration as how Type-0 HD supposed to be. FFX is still just an upres port with some different models and better FMV and textures, the thing is in the end it still looks like FFX did but in HD... This doesn't look like Type-0 in HD hence the screenshot I posted. Kagar says it's similar to Peace Walker and God of War ports which are just upres ports and nothing else (GoW is a bit better though) They're minimum effort ports. If these shots are to be believed this is more than that. It's very obvious, I'm not sure what you're debating.

Nobody said this is "ZOMG This is FFVII tech demo level of remake" or any similar hyperbole and it's obvious even if those shots are legitimate it's not going to be competitive as a PS4 gen game visually.

If you're dubious of SQEX capabilities do accomplish even that, that's very valid considering everything that has happened, but that doesn't change what we're looking at right now. Legitimacy of the shots should be questioned not what they're showing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I really don't see how you can say this is going to be lower effort than that if these couple of shots we have are to be taken into consideration as how Type-0 HD supposed to be. FFX is still just an upres port with some different models and better FMV and textures, the thing is in the end it still looks like FFX did but in HD... This doesn't look like Type-0 in HD hence the screenshot I posted. Kagar says it's similar to Peace Walker and God of War ports which are just upres ports and nothing else (GoW is a bit better though) They're minimum effort ports. If these shots are to be believed this is more than that. It's very obvious, I'm not sure what you're debating.

Nobody said this is "ZOMG This isFFVII tech demo level of remake" or any similar hyperbole.

There is only so much that can be speculated when SE has yet to release any footage. Which is concerning because they did the same thing when they announced FFX HD...

Caffeine

well at least they have been working on something lol. i was starting to get worried ps4 wouldnt have a non mmo ff this year.

duckroll

Hm? I've mentioned that people should look to games like MGS Peacewalker and the God of War PSP remasters to have an idea what to expect here.

Peace Walker HD retained the multiplayer and actually made it fully online via PSN. Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD is cutting out the multiplayer from Birth by Sleep. I think we're going backwards! :(

So do the mods have inside info on this? The screenshots look upgraded significantly, yet everyone's saying how it is gonna be a regular remaster like MGS Peacewalker. Is SE bulshitting everyone? :(

Lain

You wish to see the world burn, and I like you for that.

Peace Walker HD retained the multiplayer and actually made it fully online via PSN. Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD is cutting out the multiplayer from Birth by Sleep. I think we're going backwards! :(
They mentioned this in the SE Presents videos, but they were talking specifically about battle arena. Does the cut muyiplayer include Kingdomopoly as well?

Wagram

There is only so much that can be speculated when SE has yet to release any footage. Which is concerning because they did the same thing when they announced FFX HD...

Considering how well FFX/X-2 HD turned out in the end. I don't find that very concerning at all.

Zomba13

So do the mods have inside info on this? The screenshots look upgraded significantly, yet everyone's saying how it is gonna be a regular remaster like MGS Peacewalker. Is SE bulshitting everyone? :(

I think people are just taking the wait and see approach. You could argue we've already "seen" it but we've had like 2 or 3 shots with no context but If we had a proper screen shot and SE said this is an in engine shot of the HD version then I think people would be more open to the idea of SE doing major work on it. People keep citing the FFX remaster as some huge feat of improvement and while I don't have that game I have looked up some comparisons and yeah it is improved and technically new (or improved) models with extra detail but not so much that you look at it and think "yeah, this leverages the power of the PS3/Vita". Like, it's a higher res FFX with better res textures and improved models, that's kinda what you'd expect for a HD port even though some just straight up res the game and leave it at that.

RangerBAD

dLQEUOJ.gif

friz898

Has it already been mentioned that Gamestop's placeholder price is 59.99?

I came to the thread late. Been tracking the last 3-4 pages.

Lunafreya

I'm excited, I'd much rather just play it on my PS4 than bothering with emulation or PSP custom firmware.

I can deal with optimization issues and Peace Walker was beautiful considering!

Rocky

Banned

Wait, BBS has multiplayer? I never knew that. Maybe because I don't play multiplayer games all that much.

duckroll

They mentioned this in the SE Presents videos, but they were talking specifically about battle arena. Does the cut muyiplayer include Kingdomopoly as well?

All multiplayer in BbS is handled in the battle arena world. That's the matchmaking hub in the game. If they're cutting out multiplayer there, it probably means all multiplayer matchmaking is gone - PvE, PvP, Racing, Command Board. It's disappointing to me because I was actually really looking forward to possibly doing some of the special boss fights from Final Mix with friends. BbS had really good MP options imo.

Wilsongt

I will now need to snag at PS4 thanks to this.

I just hope one day Square-Enix can inject a remaster of FFXII: Internation into my veins... It's all I ask for.

:( Please?

All multiplayer in BbS is handled in the battle arena world. That's the matchmaking hub in the game. If they're cutting out multiplayer there, it probably means all multiplayer matchmaking is gone - PvE, PvP, Racing, Command Board. It's disappointing to me because I was actually really looking forward to possibly doing some of the special boss fights from Final Mix with friends. BbS had really good MP options imo.

That sucks, I wanted to play Kingdomoply with a friend of mine. Their excuse for it was that the team seems to be mixed with the KHIII team and doing these HD releases are not simple, according to the co-director.

I really don't see how you can say this is going to be lower effort than that if these couple of shots we have are to be taken into consideration as how Type-0 HD supposed to be.

I think it's naive to look at the specific shots we've seen (when SE has been careful to put them out as glamour shots overlaid with text instead of true screenshots) for a serious indication of the final product, and illogical to assume that this tossed-off remaster project is going to be higher effort than the slaved-over, blessed-from-on-high FFX remaster project.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think there's any reason to believe that that screenshot is a screenshot in the first place. Probably just some CG mockup because they needed something to accompany the announcement. If they were screenshots they would have said that they are screenshots.

Any idea on when we can expect more info on this? This isn't coming to Japan right? So TGS is probably unlikely.

Currently there is no announcement that this game will be released in Japan.

What makes you think that is hasn't been announced?

So this is another image from Type-0 HD? It's from a recent campaign for Agito in Japan:

1shzvr.jpg

(link)

KtSlime

I don't think there's any reason to believe that that screenshot is a screenshot in the first place. Probably just some CG mockup because they needed something to accompany the announcement. If they were screenshots they would have said that they are screenshots.

What makes you think that is hasn't been announced?
I speak and live in Japan as well as read 4gamer and famitsu. I also checked square's press releases, that campaign is for the US announcement.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Any idea on when we can expect more info on this? This isn't coming to Japan right? So TGS is probably unlikely.

Currently there is no announcement that this game will be released in Japan.

I speak and live in Japan as well as read 4gamer and famitsu. I also checked square's press releases, that campaign is for the US announcement.

I was mislead by the picture. Looked at the article and it does say that it's an Agito campaign commemorating the announcement of the North America version and does not have anything to do with the announcement of the game for Japan like I thought the image suggested. It's kind of strange though. I don't see them skipping Japan for this release but one wonders why they haven't announced it officially yet.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I don't know if the pricing was already announced, but Square-Enix Europe just put pre-orders up. €69.99!!!!

2 screenshots and a full-price, I think we can be safe now in saying this is more than just an HD a la FFX or KH. It's a proper full remake like the screenshots intend it to be. And they're taking preorders already, it seems the marketing campaign will probably start soon (I guess after summer with the TGS event and a 2015 march release?).

Top Bottom