• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

Parsnip

If Square doesn't provide alternate button prompts, we can mod it. Maybe GeDoSaTo, maybe texmod, maybe something more depending on stuff and things.

So, from a guy who didn't play a single game in the trilogy...

Are the characters really bad or is it stuff like poor translation and/or design that ruins them? Or are they well made characters that people just don't like?

And the story? Is it the type of story that is only good if you read everything about it or is it bad independently of what you do?

I'll probably pick it up just to see that battle system, so I guess I'll answer my own questions eventually, but I just wanted to know a little beforehand, I know nothing about XIII other than "it's bad".

All three.

The latter.
Geez...

Well, I want to try this "sadness trilogy" out, maybe the battle system and soundtrack carries the game, maybe I'll just play it to be amused (I like playing bad games =P), or maybe I'll drop it once I see that even after 20 hours it's not worth it haha.

frostshade

Neo Member
Geez...

Well, I want to try this "sadness trilogy" out, maybe the battle system and soundtrack carries the game, maybe I'll just play it to be amused (I like playing bad games =P), or maybe I'll drop it once I see that even after 20 hours it's not worth it haha.

For what it's worth:

Gameplay is ok. Music is nice. Graphics have Durante's seal of approval after he tinkers with it.

Story is YMMV. My perspective is that most JRPG stories aren't very great (even the almighty insane Xenogears hasn't convinced me otherwise) so really, it just comes down to whether you can tolerate it or not.

Lightning Returns has a pretty good battle system though for that matter. The graphical and technical fidelity is terribad though. No comment on story.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ What, you don't like old man with cane, generic silver haired general dude or power generator? Those are the greatest villains of all time!

Geez...

On thing you have to look forward to is that the production values of the first game are actually quite good. The fuck up that is the crystal tools engine aside, everything looks pretty for a 2009 multiplat game. Too bad you wont actually be able to explore any of it, but still.

Definitely soundtrack and battle system for me.

Speaking of crystal tools, because its on that engine, don't really expect any kind of extra graphical tweaks besides higher resolutions. You should consider it a miracle it even runs. I also would not recommend going up to beyond 1080p, because the cut-scenes are prerendered at 1080p, and going higher is gonna introduce macro-blocking and artifacting.

For what it's worth:

Gameplay is ok. Music is nice. Graphics have Durante's seal of approval after he tinkers with it.

Story is YMMV. My perspective is that most JRPG stories aren't very great (even the almighty insane Xenogears hasn't convinced me otherwise) so really, it just comes down to whether you can tolerate it or not.

Lightning Returns has a pretty good battle system though for that matter. The graphical and technical fidelity is terribad though. No comment on story.

Hmm, well, I can tolerate a lot if I don't expect much from the game, so I guess I'll be fine.
So, since you don't like any JRPG story, how low is XIII for you?

for LR the graphical and technical part of it won't be much of a problem after a few mods, right? I'll be looking forward to that then.

EDIT: @Inuhanyou, Got it, my monitor is not even that big, so I'll stick to whatever they give by default then. Also, graphically wise I'm more looking forward to designs and art styles rather than good models and textures.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hmm, well, I can tolerate a lot if I don't expect much from the game, so I guess I'll be fine.

for LR the graphical and technical part of it won't be much of a problem after a few mods, right? I'll be looking forward to that then.

JRPG's can have great stories IMO. 13 trilogy just isn't one of them. And they got progressively more worse and nonsensical the deeper into the trilogy you go.

frostshade

Neo Member

EDIT: @Inuhanyou, Got it, my monitor is not even that big, so I'll stick to whatever they give by default then. Also, graphically wise I'm more looking forward to designs and art styles rather than good models and textures.

in terms of modern day review score scale, like 6-7.

As a story, it wasn't terribad. Just boring imo.

If I were to critically analyze jrpg stories, then the apparent issues/criticisms would cause me to lose interest in the stories very fast.

If I don't, I can enjoy them just fine.

Tactic Ogre and Fire Emblem have decent stories imo.

To be perfectly honest, the FF games tend to be more similar than people realize in terms of story, so certain expectations pop up with regards to certain story elements/concepts. FF13 doesn't really adhere to those expectations.

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh yeah, Sazh and Fang werent that bad either. But honestly its hard to define the worst character in this game, I just could not swallow Hope's reactions (or lack of) to what was happening to his life (
his mom dies in front of him and its like he has no reaction of any kind from start to the end
), and neither Vanille's irritating dialogues. But Snow was extremely generic also...

Are you kidding? Hope's *entire* character arc is his reaction to the game's opening events and how he has to balance it with the fact that taking revenge would mean dooming himself, too.
Hope has completely reasonable reactions to things, the most character development of anyone in XIII, and was my personal favorite playable character.

I've heard people say they disliked Hope for being "whiny," which is bullshit considering the events and situations he's facing, but I don't think I've ever heard someone say he *under* reacts.

Did you skip every cutscene, or something?

Sometimes I feel like people aren't going to be happy until they get a Final Fantasy whose playable party looks like they've been ripped from Gears of War, or something.
A party of interchangeable "space marine" types just swearing, bro-dude-ing it up and being "awesome."

JRPG's can have great stories IMO. 13 trilogy just isn't one of them. And they got progressively more worse and nonsensical the deeper into the trilogy you go.
Nice, I want some crazy nonsense from the last games.
I can bear little exploration, but I want a story that at least has stuff happening (be it good or bad).

in terms of modern day review score scale, like 6-7.

As a story, it wasn't terribad. Just boring imo.

If I were to critically analyze jrpg stories, then too many issue for me to handle.

If I don't, I can enjoy them just fine.

Tactic Ogre, Fire Emblem, SMT have decent stories imo.

Fair enough, I can handle that. I tend to see problems on JRPG stories, but I usually look the other way, that's my way of enjoying them =P

Also, I'll agree with those games, they're pretty good story-wise.

frostshade

Neo Member
Are you kidding? Hope's *entire* character arc is his reaction to the game's opening events and how he has to balance it with the fact that taking revenge would mean dooming himself, too.
Hope has completely reasonable reactions to things, the most character development of anyone in XIII, and was my personal favorite playable character.

I've heard people say they disliked Hope for being "whiny," which is bullshit considering the events and situations he's facing, but I don't think I've ever heard someone say he *under* reacts.

Did you skip every cutscene, or something?

Sometimes I feel like people aren't going to be happy until they get a Final Fantasy whose playable party looks like they've been ripped from Gears of War, or something.
A party of interchangeable "space marine" types just swearing, bro-dude-ing it up and being "awesome."

Humans in general don't react very well to angst/depression/negative emotions in another person/people. I've seen many a case where depressed characters aren't well received in comparison to optimistic characters. So, I'd assume it might be human nature. That's my perspective anyway.

I find it funny how for FF stories that it's usually up to a few people in a team to figure out the right story that can sell itself to millions of people and profit as well.

HeelPower

Hope's a good character.

Him wanting to take it out on snow is very reasonable considering snow was egging civilians to join him in a fight against a military force.
His mom was desperate and decided to join the fight to protect her son.
I also really love his interactions with lightning.They change each other in equal measure because they are so parallel to each other.

They could've cut the melodrama but its a good character arc overall.

New info, New thread. pretty sure thats the rule.

it doesn't sees like we're arguing. we're actually quite civil

Didn't mean people were fighting ,but rather discussing stuff that isn't news..nevermind my post.

I'm surprised that more people aren't positive towards Snow. It seemed like people were talking about how they wished more characters were less depressed, and would act more like Snow.

Stark

Banned
I'm looking forward to trying XIII-2 as that is the one I enjoyed the most in terms of characters, gameplay, and OST. I thought it was a good FF.

frostshade

Neo Member
Would you mind expounding on this? Isn't this generally the case with every entertainment medium?

FF is one of the few jrpg series which hits the millions in terms of sales while being known for it's story telling so it's a bit different.

The team has the pressure of knowing that:

a)they need to meet the legacy of previous FF's
b)sell in the millions
c)create iconic characters for marketing purposes.

While everyone in the industry can certainly aim for the millions, FF is one of the few WW JRPG IP's that has the precedent of selling millions of copies hence why the story team has a lot of pressure under their belt imo.

What I meant about my statement was due to how diverse the FF fanbase, it was amusing to see how a few people in the FF team attempt to create a story that could sell in the millions and reach the legacy left behind by its predecessors.

tl;dr: One of the few long lasting jrpg megabosses in terms of sales and popularity. Many other series don't have the history and popularity as well the amount of units sold that FF has. So there's more pressure for this series to sell in the millions than most other series in the medium because of the precedents.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm looking forward to trying XIII-2 as that is the one I enjoyed the most in terms of characters, gameplay, and OST. I thought it was a good FF.

I did get a lot more enjoyment out of XIII-2. Story was still bat-shit, but overall It was ok. Still couldn't finish it, though.

FF is one of the few jrpg series which hits the millions in terms of sales while being known for it's story telling so it's a bit different.

The team has the pressure of knowing that:

a)they need to meet the legacy of previous FF's
b)sell in the millions
c)create iconic characters for marketing purposes.

While everyone in the industry can certainly aim for the millions, FF is one of the few WW JRPG IP's that has the precedent of selling millions of copies hence why the story team has a lot of pressure under their belt imo.

What I meant about my statement was due to how diverse the FF fanbase, it was amusing to see how a few people in the FF team attempt to create a story that could sell in the millions and reach the legacy left behind by its predecessors.

tl;dr: One of the few long lasting jrpg megabosses in terms of sales and popularity. Many other series don't have the history and popularity as well the amount of units sold that FF has. So there's more pressure for this series to sell in the millions than most other series in the medium because of the precedents.
I see. Thank you for the explanation.

Honestly, I think XIII's greatest blunder, story-telling-wise, is the failure to create admiration towards most of its characters. Likable cast, or at least cast you are happy to root for, could save even the most trite JRPG plot.

I always defend Hope as being one of the best characters of XIII. His character development is actually there unlike other characters, and his hatred against Snow is totally reasonable, he's a teen which world was turn upside down, his mother was killed because Snow was playing the hero and letting a civilian fight on his stupid pointless war. He needs to place that grief and anger on someone and that someone is Snow, which certainly his idiotic actions were the main cause of Hope's mother death.

Also the chemestry with Lightning is the best one on the game. Lightning almost looks like a proper character in the chapters she's with Hope.

Kuja9001

Banned
I dislike him mainly because he is very loud and obnoxious.

And he got better over the course of the game.

I'm surprised that more people aren't positive towards Snow. It seemed like people were talking about how they wished more characters were less depressed, and would act more like Snow.

That's what I don't get, this fanbase cries when we get characters like crapilation cloud, dissidia Terra and when we get non-whiny characters like Snow, Zidane they still cry.

Are the characters really bad or is it stuff like poor translation and/or design that ruins them? Or are they well made characters that people just don't like?

And the story? Is it the type of story that is only good if you read everything about it or is it bad independently of what you do?

I'll probably pick it up just to see that battle system, so I guess I'll answer my own questions eventually, but I just wanted to know a little beforehand, I know nothing about XIII other than "it's bad".

Just ignore the dudes here and try out it out for yourself.

Just because a character is a deconstruction doesn't mean he or she still isn't stupid as fuck.

In what way is he stupid? explanations often help

Frumix

Suffering From Success
13 story would have been fine if not for self-defeating meandering and lack of direction.
13-2 story is actually pretty good!
LR story is... well, it's borderline experimental, much like the game.

Saying all that I am overlooking the fact that in each case they're overwritten mad poorly presented narratives. If you can look past Watanabe's god-awful line-to-line writing skills (although translators tried, they really did) you might derive some sort of enjoyment out of it.

I mean, there's some interesting ideas there! And characters have arcs! They really do! Personally the story and the writing in X dilogy annoys me a bit more, but that's just me.

Tizoc

Poor translation? Nah FF13's localization is good. It's just very weak and leaves so much to be desired.

FF13 is the weakest game in the FF series, not the best way to get into the series, especially when this game all boils down to battles, battles, battles.

From what I'm hearing here, Hope seems scarily similar to Ken from Persona 3.

Just ignore the dudes here and try out it out for yourself.

Hahah, I will =P

since I'll be going in expecting nothing more than a battle system I think I'll enjoy it more than the rest of the people here.

Interesting, XIII has to be one of the most divisive games out there, I don't remember the last game where opinions varied so much. I wonder what it'll be like for me.. hmm..

EDIT: @Tizoc, good, if it's at the same level as the PSP games SE put out here then it'll be fine.
Also, it's not my first FF, I've played a bunch of them already.

Kieli

In what way is he stupid? explanations often help

Oh, I wasn't talking about any character in particular.

I just mean in general. Some person on the last page used this as a point/argument/defense.

It's not a very good one. You're going to have to expand on what you mean by the word deconstruction a bit more as it, by itself, does not mean all that much.

Stark

Banned
13 story would have been fine if not for self-defeating meandering and lack of direction.
13-2 story is actually pretty good!
LR story is... well, it's borderline experimental, much like the game.

Saying all that I am overlooking the fact that in each case they're overwritten mad poorly presented narratives. If you can look past Watanabe's god-awful line-to-line writing skills (although translators tried, they really did) you might derive some sort of enjoyment out of it.

I mean, there's some interesting ideas there! And characters have arcs! They really do! Personally the story and the writing in X dilogy annoys me a bit more, but that's just me.

Pretty much agree with this. One of the reasons I liked XIII-2's general plot/characters were that Serah was a lot more relatable, Noel was the better "hero" and it was easy to understand what drove Caius, which was a struggle for me with Galenth Dysley.

Tizoc

EDIT: @Tizoc, good, if it's at the same level as the PSP games SE put out here then it'll be fine.
Also, it's not my first FF, I've played a bunch of them already.
I think you'll like the combat system at least.
Mind you the reason I use the term 'battles, battles, battles' is because of the 2 times I replayed the game skipping cutscenes to speed through the game. All I did was fight monsters and level up my characters, there's nothing else to do in this game and the exploration isn't that rewarding...

Kuja9001

Banned
You're going to have to expand on what you mean by the word deconstruction a bit more as it, by itself, does not mean all that much.

Basically

Snow a wannabe hero. He carries the heroic traits needed but often failed at doing anything close to heroic. It's only after his ordeal with Hope and Barthandelus' obvious lie does he reshape into an actual hero.

compare his tone from

first 30 mins or so of the game(He's freakin crazy)

with mid game(He's motivated by Cid's strength)

and end game(He's rightfully determined now)

Boogybro

That's what I don't get, this fanbase cries when we get characters like crapilation cloud, dissidia Terra and when we get non-whiny characters like Snow, Zidane they still cry.

Snow is nothing like Zidane. Mentioning those two names in the same breath is an insult to Zidane, who as I know is a very liked character to the fan base. I know people have complained about his image, but his actual personality, people like that.

Snow has no redeemable traits outside of wanting to be "the man", and even then he only comes off as a plastic hero at best. That's the whole way through at least the first two games (haven't played LR), not just the beginning like you say. At least in my opinion.

So when he failed at that in a lot of peoples eyes, his character didn't have much to fail back on. Looking at Zidane, he had great banter with a large portion of the cast. Making Steiner look like an idiot a lot of time. Competing against Freya in that beast hunt. Helping Vivi through that rough patch during The village of Madain Sari part of the game. And the obvious connection with dagger... Snow has none of that in his character, he just seems very shallow in comparison.

Kuja9001

Banned
Snow is nothing like Zidane. Mentioning those two names in the same breath is an insult to Zidane, who as I know is a very liked character to the fan base. I know people have complained about his image, but his actual personality, people like that.

Snow has no redeemable traits outside of wanting to be "the man", and even then he only comes off as a plastic hero at best. That's the whole way through at least the first two games (haven't played LR), not just the beginning like you say. At least in my opinion.

So when he failed at that in a lot of peoples eyes, his character didn't have much to fail back on. Looking at Zidane, he had great banter with a large portion of the cast. Making Steiner look like an idiot a lot of time. Competing against Freya in that beast hunt. Helping Vivi through that rough patch during The village of Madain Sari part of the game. And the obvious connection with dagger... Snow has none of that in his character, he just seems very shallow in comparison.

1st Bold- Whatever,

2nd Bold- Go check out the extra materials before making claims such as that.

Third Bold- You're obviously looking at the big picture instead of the small one.

I wasn't completely comparing the two. They're similar because due to their optimistic personalities and nice guy attitudes.

Boogybro

1st Bold- Whatever,

2nd Bold- Go check out the extra materials before making claims such as that.

Third Bold- You're obviously looking at the big picture instead of the small one.

I wasn't completely comparing the two. They're similar because due to their optimistic personalities and nice guy attitudes.

Extra materials? That's like when people say "the game gets good after 20 hours."

Falk

that puzzling face
Hey sorry to interrupt but can either of you flip your avatars so it actually looks like you're arguing at each other?

edit: omg thanks!

Boogybro

Unlike that opinion, Snow's development is a fact.

These are the "extra materials"

Fragments_Before

Fragments_After

But his development being GOOD isn't a fact. :p
We're discussing opinions here, I don't see what the problem is. Those "fragments" are useless to me because it isn't going to change what I already experienced in the game.

Hey sorry to interrupt but can either of you flip your avatars so it actually looks like you're arguing at each other?

Thanks in advance.

Done.

Kuja9001

Banned
But his development being GOOD isn't a fact. :p
We're discussing opinions here, I don't see what the problem is. Those "fragments" are useless to me because it isn't going to change what I already experienced in the game.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Raitningz

Ermm...have we actually gotten any PC gameplay footage, be it screenshots or videos?

Didn't the steam client have screenshots? Though it was probably the same as PS3. In fact, I doubt anything about the game changed at all. They didn't improve anything; they just (back)ported it to the PC. The recommended settings for the game are pretty low.

iosefe

Didn't the steam client have screenshots? Though it was probably the same as PS3. In fact, I doubt anything about the game changed at all. They didn't improve anything; they just (back)ported it to the PC. The recommended settings for the game are pretty low.

those are totally ps3 shots. and i don't think it's a back port, considering original development was on PC. they merely finished it, i guess

Top Bottom