• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

Raitningz

Can't wait to see what the mods will be like. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I honestly doubt there will be much modding if any, given that there is no modding support.

FF7 only got so much, FF3 and FF8 were almost impossible, if not impossible to mod.

Raitningz

Less interest more than anything.

Yeah ^

Games with no mod support need huge interest and dedication to mod because of how difficult it is.

If FFXIII doesn't attract that kind of modding attention, then there may be very little mods. Even something like way more popular especially among modders such as say, Dragon Age 2, was difficult to mod.

Probably have to look at the structure of the game too. Some things were already possible via trainers in 360, changing numbers in the save files. That's as about as much as I'd expect, and maybe hi-res textures.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah ^

Games with no mod support need huge interest and dedication to mod because of how difficult it is.

If FFXIII doesn't attract that kind of modding attention, then there may be very little mods. Even something like way more popular especially among modders such as say, Dragon Age 2, was difficult to mod.

Probably have to look at the structure of the game too. Some things were already possible via trainers in 360, changing numbers in the save files. That's as about as much as I'd expect, and maybe hi-res textures.

Honestly it's always a combination of interest vs difficulty. And how rabid the fanbase is, regardless of how big or small it is. Sonic Generations on PC had its level format completely reverse engineered, and assets/levels from a completely different game on a different platform (similar engine, translateable physics and gameplay. different file format data structures) ported and mod tools/managers written from scratch.

It's also accused of being a corridor game in a genre that doesn't want to be corridors. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Don't know if this was posted yet, but the keyboard control scheme has been uploaded:
IxZ6iq6.jpg

Some things to note from the picture:
-Mouse support is in, which is nice. Looks like the scroll wheel is used for scrolling through menus, no point-and-click.
-I'm guessing the keys on the bottom-right corner are the only ones that are configurable?
-Screenshot is in 1080p, which would confirm the game isn't locked at 720p.

Don't know if this was posted yet, but the keyboard control scheme has been uploaded:

Some things to note from the picture:
-Mouse support is in, which is nice. Looks like the scroll wheel is used for scrolling through menus, no point-and-click.
-I'm guessing the keys on the bottom-right corner are the only ones that are configurable?
-Screenshot is in 1080p, which would confirm the game isn't locked at 720p.

This better have controller support...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Has there been any talk from Square, on what work this port to PC entailed?

Would be nice to hear whether they fixed anything, enhanced this or that, up-res'd a few things...

This isn't the thread about every version of FF8.

Fixed :p

I remember being excited for many years for this game... and then it came out

and I was filled with indifference

and now almost five years later it's being released on the only platform I own that I can play games on.... weird

ConceptX

I honestly doubt there will be much modding if any, given that there is no modding support.

FF7 only got so much, FF3 and FF8 were almost impossible, if not impossible to mod.

Indeed, and most of the FF7 mods break cloud saving and steam achievements. There is a mod for 7 that changes the UI to match FFX, and it looks gorgeous, but you need to convert the stream release to the 98 release, sucks.

Thankfully the 8 mods, music, cleaned up backgrounds, cleaned up triple triad and menus, don't break cloud saving and achievements, they do have problems with making the game crash/use a ridiculous amount of memory though, converting to PS music was the only stable FF8 mod I have used in my experience.

I'd be surprised if we see any mods at all to be honest, outside very minor things, SE doesn't like people doing their own things with their creative visions so it's almost certain it won't come with built in modding support, very few big studio games ever do.

I hope it has built in Xbox button queues for controllers though instead of "Button 1" etc, that would really disappoint me if it doesn't. Edit: someone already posted that above, my bad.

Raitningz

Indeed, and most of the FF7 mods break cloud saving and steam achievements. There is a mod for 7 that changes the UI to match FFX, and it looks gorgeous, but you need to convert the stream release to the 98 release, sucks.

Thankfully the 8 mods, music, cleaned up backgrounds, cleaned up triple triad and menus, don't break cloud saving and achievements, they do have problems with making the game crash/use a ridiculous amount of memory though, converting to PS music was the only stable FF8 mod I have used in my experience.

I'd be surprised if we see any mods at all to be honest, outside very minor things, SE doesn't like people doing their own things with their creative visions so it's almost certain it won't come with built in modding support, very few big studio games ever do.

I hope it has built in Xbox button queues for controllers though instead of "Button 1" etc, that would really disappoint me if it doesn't. Edit: someone already posted that above, my bad.

Exactly, I don't know why people are hoping for TES-level mods or anything. If 'security' was a concern about publishing FFXIII on PC initially, I think they would have added a copious amount of stuff to prevent people from tampering with the code, but anyway, we'll see when the game comes out. I could be wrong.

kick51

Banned
lemmings-o.gif

can't wait for the impressions from those who are playing for the first time.

I keep coming close to buying it...then I remember.

iosefe

should I buy this game or just read the plot on wikipedia?

tell it to me straight

you will end up reading an in-game wiki of sorts for extra information. when the battle system fully opens up, it's quite nice. it is a nearly endless string of battles though.

go in with an open mind might be the better advice to give. currently, you can get it for 12 at a minimum i believe(or subsidize your purchase with GMG Credit if that's available), so if you think the game will be worth 12, hop on it

Gbraga

should I buy this game or just read the plot on wikipedia?

tell it to me straight

The best things about the game are the soundtrack, visuals and the battle system. If those things don't interest you at all, just skip it. The plot isn't really worth your time. I didn't hate it like many people here did, but I wouldn't say it's so good that it stands on its own, even without the game.

No amount of mods can fix the bad storytelling and bad characters.

Also those thinking that Square Enix is using this to decide if they should put Type-0 and FFXV on PC are fooling themselves. Chances are they've probably already made that decision based off of older PC ports of FF titles. FFXIII doing well on PC will do nothing other than validate their delusion that "FFXIII is the best game we've ever made! We should make more FF games with poor storytelling and world building."

That was the entire point of his character. He's actually a deconstruction of the trope.

He goes from false hero to real hero over the course of the game so he does develop.

but he's literally the exact same character in the beginning of the game as he is in the end. snow blows

diaspora

Just gimme dem PC requirements and Settings.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad (2.66 GHz)/ AMD Phenom™ II X4 (2.8 GHz) processor
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX™ 460/ ATI Radeon™ HD 5870
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 11 compatible sound card
Additional Notes: A game controller using Xinput is reccomended for this game. (If using a DirectInput based controller, please use the driver side key configuration to adjust settings as required )

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66ghz CPU and 8GB RAM, but my video card is outdated. Hm. May buy it anyway just to see how well I could run it. I did just get an awesome new job so I'd be able to buy a new GPU soon anyway.

Gbraga

I hope it works with GeDoSaTo, the requirements are begging to be downsampled from ridiculous resolutions.

And please don't be locked at 30. It wouldn't stop me from playing or anything, but I really hope it isn't.

You should be fine as long as it has more than 500MB of VRAM.

VRAM is actually something I'm not too familiar with, so thanks for bringing that term to my PC illiterate knowledge. Still in the learning process as I'm looking into either beefing this one up or building a new one.

edit: looks like it's 512mb/vram.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Actually ARR has PS and 360 buttons both as an option to display for gamepad configurations. But I wouldn't hold my breath for the same riches in this, lol.

Top Bottom