• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Chapter 0 revealed, preview inbound (Spoilers) (Duh)

Okay, well I haven't read the leaked spoilers, but I'm going to bet the consensus that this game will generally be a huge, partly pretty mess are accurate. Whatever though? I haven't had high expectations for this, I just hoped for better than Final Fantasy 13. I'm just hoping they've learned their lesson regarding their insistence on trying to create their own graphics engines. Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 7r are using unreal 4 right? Let's focus on those games... And thank god for Persona 5.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No. Leviathan's rage has always been in Altissia.

Niflheim first invades Lucis. THIS is the part that was cut from the game.
Niflheim then moves to invade Altissia (Probably in search of Luna?), and this is where Leviathan breaks hell loose.

...i'm a dumbass.

I've been thinking for 3 freaking years why Insomnia got changed into water world from Japanese Shinjuku and thought it had something to do with Levathin being summoned, creating that water.

Turns out they were two different places the whole time and that place was a place called Atilissa that is not even apart of the initial invasion, and is most likely later in the game.

Just laugh, i know you want to, its ok

Okay, well I haven't read the leaked spoilers, but I'm going to bet the consensus that this game will generally be a huge, partly pretty mess are accurate. Whatever though? I haven't had high expectations for this, I just hoped for better than Final Fantasy 13. I'm just hoping they've learned their lesson regarding their insistence on trying to create their own graphics engines. Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 7r are using unreal 4 right? Let's focus on those games... And thank god for Persona 5.

It'll be better than FF13 by far. Although here here on the engine solutions.

Ishida

Banned
...i'm a dumbass.

I've been thinking for 3 freaking years why Insomnia got changed into water world from Japanese Shinjuku and thought it had something to do with Levathin being summoned, creating that water.

Turns out they were two different places the whole time and that place was a place called Atilissa that is not even apart of the initial invasion, and is most likely later in the game.

Just laugh, i know you want to, its ok.

Nah. We all make mistakes. ;)

mortal

It looks like Chaos to me, but who knows.

https://imgur.com/03qzKwk
You think so? I recall the leak mentioning them fighting Ifrit.

Comparing the boss character to these renditions, you sort of see some overlap in design. Coupled with the boss lounging amidst raging flames. It seems to checkout.
finalfantasyiii_summon_ifrit_by_yoshitaka_amano.jpg

latest

Yeah, I'm curious how Ravus plays into it all. Ravus feels more like a Sephiroth-esque villain (sympathetic backstory turned horrorshow), where as Ardyn feels more Kefka-esque. The latter is obviously up Tabata's alley, but I assume Ardyn probably played a similar role since Versus days.

Ravus/Kingsglaive spoiler:
I was actually reading around a couple of forums and tumblr earlier today; and some people are speculating that the demon/ifrit looking guy is Ravus because of the burnt left arm and the facial features. I hope it isn't because I find him to be a cool character and would hope he'd help Luna if she were in trouble, but I dunno... Ugh, why teases?!

sappyday

Regarding the leaks, I believe TheGuy has the more accurate info. The first leak did predict Chapter 0 but TheGuy also predicted Chapter 0 and predicted Iris and the online components for the DLC.

I was actually reading around a couple of forums and tumblr earlier today; and some people are speculating that the demon/ifrit looking guy is Ravus because of the burnt left arm and the facial features. I hope it isn't because I find him to be a cool character and would hope he'd help Luna if she were in trouble, but I dunno... Ugh, why teases?!
People turning into summons? Lucavi squad we really out here

Zaventem

I still have my preorder down but i knew the game
would be mostly empty land and i was hoping that wasn't the case but the spoilers proved that unfortunately
slight disappointment on my side.

Sayad

You didn't read what i posted.

I said because it became a numbered entree, the KH combat was changed to a more RPG ish type system. I meant from Versus.

Also...how can you say it looks exactly the same when the battle they were in the whole 2013 trailer(the battle against the other country that attacks their home along with that summon) no longer features the main characters? They hear about it through a newspaper
To be fair, you kinda snuk it under changes done while Tabata was directing:
Well, you do realize a lot of the game was changed because it was Tabata working it and not Nomura right? Due to them making it a numbered entree, it could no longer have a KH battle system...
Either way, the awful battle system happened under Nomura. And like a lot of the awful things in the game, I doubt they'd change much if Nomura was directing except for maybe the story. I mean, Nomura had the project for more than five years and when Tabata took over, the game still didn't have a clear direction. The sooner we're done with this FF chapter the better.

Also, "setting" as in the game world, art-style, etc, is what I'm saying didn't change, not actual events.

sappyday

Oh hey look at that. All of my extremely cautious optimism flushed down the drain.

How hard is it to make a decent JRPG guys? I mean seriously.

Be aware that that leak isn't entirely true. He proved one aspect but another leaker said the same thing (along with more info he predicted right) and said the first leaker was exaggerating. The info from the second leaker isn't in the OP of the thread duckroll posted.

Also honestly, like I don't mind people thinking the game looks like shit based on footage, but I can't understand claiming the game is already bad cause some person said a few plot points in the most simple way possible and said the game only runs for 2 hours. Any game/movie/media can sound bad when the person describing it obviously has an agenda against it and describing it in bullet points. And the game obviously won't run like shit for two hours. I mean seriously.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
To be fair, you kinda snuk it under changes done while Tabata was directing:
Either way, the awful battle system happened under Nomura. And like a lot of the awful things in the game, I doubt they'd change much if Nomura was directing except for maybe the story. I mean, Nomura had the project for more than five years and when Tabata took over, the game still didn't have a clear direction. The sooner we're done with this FF chapter the better.

Also, "setting" as in the game world, art-style, etc, is what I'm saying didn't change, not actual events.

Nomura didn't work on the game for 5 years you know. Or even barely 2 years when its all counted up.

And as i said, it was changed to that kind of battle system to adhere to a numbered entree. His original Versus gameplay was a realistic kingdom hearts style which we saw in Versus trailers, far more hack and slashy

Dark_castle

Yes but Prompto
Had a goatee in that opening so we know it must have been some time.

Yes I'm pretty sure Noctis aged especially much more than his pals. I mean honestly a span of 10 years shouldn't age a character THAT much, but in chapter 0, it's evident that Noctis looked like he is in his 50's, while Prompto and others are in early 30's. I believe it was said that the royal ring that grants Lucis's royal powers also aged them faster than normal people.

I like how the OP only has the most negative leak in it when the other two more positive ones are just as credible. tehehe

Look...the game is a development mess, we know that.

The plot though? No mention of so many plot elements we know the game has (
knights of the round, nights getting longer, red moon the gods bla bla
) in those 5 sentences the leak mentioned. It is a crap summary frankly. Like leaving out key enticing details bout FFX & summarising it into Tidus is a dream, guards Yuna who is a summoner, collects summons, kills Sin, tidus dies...the end.

Yesterday I was panicked as hell, just as I was when I first read that leak.

But after some time to actually think about this...I'm not really worried anymore.

Definitely curious to see if Ifrit's design is plot relevant with
either Ravus or Arydn
. I'm also wondering if Ifrit's just a plain old Archean, and Square just went, eh, let's make him hot. (Bad pun.) Normally it's Shiva that's Ms Fanservice, but Stupid Sexy Ifrit is giving her a run for her... pants? If you want this to become a thing, Square, I'm completely okay with it.

jackal27

Banned
"How hard is it to make a JRPG that could sell millions?" is real question here. Probably really, really hard. :3

When you put it this way, it makes sense actually. That's the problem with games like this in 2016 though. They have to be all things to everyone and that's just not possible.

All I was saying is that we've seen the core elements of what makes this genre work time and time again, but Square still can't seem to get the job done these days. It's a bummer. Still, I guess we'll wait and see.

So you already played it to completion and reviewed it.

Interesting.

Oh screw off with this. I'm hanging out on a video game forum at 1:30am, yet I shouldn't give my initial opinion of the things I'm reading just because I haven't played the game? That's ridiculous. The whole point of this is to have speculative conversations using the information available to us. That information makes me less excited for the game. If you choose to ignore that and wait until the game is in your hands, that's fine. It doesn't disqualify my reaction.

And for the record, I would still love to be pleasantly surprised.

Dark_castle

I like how the OP only has the most negative leak in it when the other two more positive ones are just as credible. tehehe

Look...the game is a development mess, we know that.

The plot though? No mention of so many plot elements we know the game has (
knights of the round, nights getting longer, red moon the gods bla bla
) in those 5 sentences the leak mentioned. It is a crap summary frankly. Like leaving out key enticing details bout FFX & summarising it into Tidus is a dream, guards Yuna who is a summoner, collects summons, kills Sin, tidus dies...the end.

Yesterday I was panicked as hell, just as I was when I first read that leak.

But after some time to actually think about this...I'm not really worried anymore.

All I want is a better way for them to go about the time skip, because honestly simply putting Noctis into a sleep coma for 10 years sound quite asinine and a cop out way to achieve the time lapse. A better way would be simply toss Noctis into a unique location where he is trapped by himself, a very deserted island for example, where he is alone for a decade, had to learn to survive by himself and thus strengthening his inner and physical strength up, before one day rescue teams found and saved him many years later. It'd be like a Robinson Crusoe experience!

Not only that would provide a lot of character growth moments for Noctis, but it's also a better justification for the time skip and could make for unique gameplay moments.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it would also pay homage to FFVI, with Celes being separated from everyone else in an island. It really was a great character moment for her as she learns to cope with the isolation and the fear of being alone. Noctis could have the opportunity to experience the same thing.

jackal27

Banned
Also honestly, like I don't mind people thinking the game looks like shit based on footage, but I can't understand claiming the game is already bad cause some person said a few plot points in the most simple way possible and said the game only runs for 2 hours. Any game/movie/media can sound bad when the person describing it obviously has an agenda against it and describing it in bullet points. And the game obviously won't run like shit for two hours. I mean seriously.

I can agree with this, but the story stuff doesn't concern me nearly as much as the stuff about development issues and game flow. Still, like you said it could all be false. Even then, the footage, screenshots, and demo have not instilled a lot of hope in me.

Toparaman

Banned
Final Fantasy VII leak
>you spend the entire first act of the game inside a single city
>once you go out the overworld is barren as hell
>aerith is kind of important to the party but whatever once you really get to know her the bitch is killed
>sephirot is actually her mother which is a space goat-woman who came from another planet
>aerith is also a space goat-woman
>cloud spends the entire game pretending to be a soldier he once knew, in reallity he is an emo kid
>no alternate costumes
>cloud is revealed to have a part of sephirot mother inside him
>sephirot's mother call everyone to meet at the center of the world to fuse with her
>cloud refuses
>cloud goes anyway and kills sephirot's mother, which turnet out to be actually sephirot all along
>sephirot's mother is just a head

That actually sounds awesome.

Final Fantasy VI story leak:

-Protagonist is brainwashed girl.
-She turns into a weird, pink thing.
-Antagonist is a clown. What the fuck.
-Theres a singing scene.
-The world is destroyed, except not.
-A CLOWN turns into an angel.
-It is defeated.

So does this.

My main concern with the leaked story details for XV is that it doesn't seem like enough to sustain 40+ hours of RPG play.

All I want is a better way for them to go about the time skip, because honestly simply putting Noctis into a sleep coma for 10 years sound quite asinine and a cop out way to achieve the time lapse. A better way would be simply toss Noctis into a unique location where he is trapped by himself, a very deserted island for example, where he is alone for a decade, had to learn to survive by himself and thus strengthening his inner and physical strength up, before one day rescue teams found and saved him many years later. It'd be like a Robinson Crusoe experience!

Not only that would provide a lot of character growth moments for Noctis, but it's also a better justification for the time skip and could make for unique gameplay moments.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it would also pay homage to FFVI, with Celes being separated from everyone else in an island. It really was a great character moment for her as she learns to cope with the isolation and the fear of being alone. Noctis could have the opportunity to experience the same thing.

I would LOOOOVEEE if they managed to do that & do hope the time skip stuff is a lie/exaggerated/somehow misinterpreted. Tabata says Vi is his fav FF, so that Celes homage would be incredible! Let's see.

On the other hand it still depends on how the sleep thing is done. Could be a sleeping beauty type scenario? The spoiler is so vague about it and gives no justification...I hope the game will provide this (unless they pull a XIII ending type twist out of their ass where no one knows where fangille got the idea to turn into a crystal pillar). Who knows! Now that I think about it the DLC for the bro's is probably set during the timelapse.

sappyday

I can agree with this, but the story stuff doesn't concern me nearly as much as the stuff about development issues and game flow. Still, like you said it could all be false. Even then, the footage, screenshots, and demo have not instilled a lot of hope in me.

It's understandable, and if it is true then at least it seems like they want to fix it instead of releasing it in that state since they did delay it.

Rappy

Oh hey look at that. All of my extremely cautious optimism flushed down the drain.

How hard is it to make a decent JRPG guys? I mean seriously.
DOIOUv3.jpg

The game could still be bad after everything is all said and done....but man, I'm really hating the negativity on games that aren't even out.

jackal27

Banned
DOIOUv3.jpg

The game could still be bad after everything is all said and done....but man, I'm really hating the negativity on games that aren't even out.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And when you've been following games for as long I have, particularly Final Fantasy games, you get to a point where you feel comfortable adjusting your expectations. I don't see an issue with it, especially when we're this close to release.

sappyday

That actually sounds awesome.

So does this.

My main concern with the leaked story details for XV is that it doesn't seem like enough to sustain 40+ hours of RPG play.

That was my concern too but it's all too vague and it's missing important stuff that we already know about like the Altissia invasion.

Setsu00

DOIOUv3.jpg

This game actually deserves the negativity, though. Most of the showings are subpar, promotional materials (especially the screenshots) don't do the game any favor and this doesn't even go into the huge Versus XIII controversy where SE deliberately hided the changes made to the game to trick those who were looking forward to Versus XIII.

This game actually deserves the negativity, though.

It's not even out yet. It's had some subpar showings, yes, but we're talking about the hate it's getting based on some scant leaks. Saying "it hasn't been looking great in presentations but they're still polishing it, so we'll see" is a lot more sensible to me than saying "4chan person has some bullet points proving it's terrible and thus deserves negativity"

Setsu00

It's not even out yet. It's had some subpar showings, yes, but we're talking about the hate it's getting based on some scant leaks. Saying "it hasn't been looking great in presentations but they're still polishing it, so we'll see" is a lot more sensible to me than saying "4chan person has some bullet points proving it's terrible and thus deserves negativity"

Fair point.

Kholdy

Neo Member
You think so? I recall the leak mentioning them fighting Ifrit.

Comparing the boss character to these renditions, you sort of see some overlap in design. Coupled with the boss lounging amidst raging flames. It seems to checkout.
finalfantasyiii_summon_ifrit_by_yoshitaka_amano.jpg

latest

Yep! I mean, it looks like a first form for Chaos. (Chaos in Dissidia mainly use fire/Earth attacks).

I'm biased though, I think Ifrit is too lower tier to be final boss lol

But, you may be right. That AfroJack trailer starts showing the summons, it goes:

Titan, a weird bird, Leviathan, the fire scene from Chapter 0, Ramuh and then Noctis putting on the ring.

https://youtu.be/otVk3EEjgd8

Kholdy

Neo Member
I thought it was a Zu

VrESuv9.jpg

It's also in the Uncovered trailer at 1:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX5D4Fenz5g

Interestingly enough, that Titan->Zu->Leviathan->Ramuh order (sans the Ch0 fire thing) persists.

Hmm, I find it too weird to be a Zu (Wings on head, the colors are off). They went out of their way to make some monsters identical to Amano artwork, it's strange Zu is so different.

And though it doesn't fly, there's this guy:

https://imgur.com/WQ8hDpu

Anyway, both are too "ehhh" to be summons XP.

ViciousDS

Banned
No. Leviathan's rage has always been in Altissia.

Niflheim first invades Lucis. THIS is the part that was cut from the game.
Niflheim then moves to invade Altissia (Probably in search of Luna?), and this is where Leviathan breaks hell loose.

didn't they move the invasion of lucis basically to the movie and thats what its all about?

ViciousDS

Banned
Yes, the invasion of Lucis was cut from the game and made into the movie.

I.....really don't see a huge problem with this honestly.....allows them to tell a ton of backstory without dragging players down. Plus it gives us Sean Bean.....who plays.....well we know what kinds of kings he plays lol

That is absolutely not Chaos. They don't even remotely look alike. Looks more like Ifrit, or someone who absorbed Ifrit's power.

Also, given how accurate TheGuy's knowledge was, I think we can probably assume his leak is correct, meaning
Ardyn is our villain/final boss, not Ravus.

That is absolutely not Chaos. They don't even remotely look alike. Looks more like Ifrit, or someone who absorbed Ifrit's power.

Also, given how accurate TheGuy's knowledge was, I think we can probably assume his leak is correct, meaning
Ardyn is our villain/final boss, not Ravus.

His knowledge easily could have just been getting a glimpse at this footage early though, rather than intimate knowledge of the game.

I say this mostly because given some spoilers about Kingsglaive...
namely, Ravus losing an arm
and this figure having
a discolored arm that doesn't match the rest of his body
, it seems much more likely to be
him than Ardyn

His knowledge easily could have just been getting a glimpse at this footage early though, rather than intimate knowledge of the game.

I say this mostly because given some spoilers about Kingsglaive...
namely, Ravus losing an arm
and this figure having
a discolored arm that doesn't match the rest of his body
, it seems much more likely to be
him than Ardyn

Ehhh.......I mean, this video confirmed the first part of a leak on GAF from awhile back, and that leak
named Ardyn as the final boss, which I don't think this Ifrit-like figure is.
It's possible that
Ravus is the penultimate boss fight, but I didn't notice that thing have a discolored arm.

I think people are really reaching here.

Top Bottom