• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae |OT| Brought to you by Coleman™

Koozek

We were talking earlier in the day about background music.

Everyone forgot that the car exists.There will most surely be a radio feature on there.

They can pretty much go anywhere from there.

Music from old games,new music and even talk shows in a FF game!!!!

We already discussed this a while ago. I hope they do something cool with it like having Mitsuto Suzuki make some Electronica songs (the genre he's most passionate about and is the best in amongst all the SE composers) or even remixes of classic FF tracks for an urban/modern radio channel of Noctis' home city. Imagine driving around Lucis at night with some Trance/Deep House playing :D

Holy shit!

Can't wait to see this all in the game. Wow :eek:

I don't think the car is going to break down in the final game, other than that, this should be an epic opening for the game.

They are still going to find an excuse to visit Cidney/Cindy. The intro where she says, "Mah name is Cindy" wasn't in the demo. I'm guessing, in the actual game, it comes before the scene the demo takes place. I don't doubt we'll get a reason they stop there. Hell, they might even work in the "Prompto was doing stupid shit or someone sabotaged the car" angle. From the dialog and description, it DOES seem to take place within the story itself. We DO know Noctis and crew are on their way to see Titan at Cauthess. They reference something regarding Titan is up because of the earthquake in the morning. We know that, that area in the game, Titan is the main summon(Archaean) you find and was cut from the demo BECAUSE he was story-specific. The inclusion of such story tidbits seem a little too meaty for something made "just for the demo". I still think the time the demo takes place will be similar to the Dollet invasion of the FFVIII demo and that event's place in the final game(and to a lesser extent, the Stillshrine of Miriam in the FFXII demo), not like FFVII and FFXIII's demos, which basically were taken from the beginning of the final games.

Guessing, I think the timeline goes like this:

- Stuff at Lucis before the peace agreement signing. King Regis and his court meet Idolas Aldercapt and his entourage at the palace to sign the treaty. Meanwhile, Lucis is celebrating the proposed peace and Noctis(and his friends, among other gathered royals) are attending a gallery party thrown for this occasion. Noctis awkwardly meets up with Stella(or Luna).

- Shit goes down at the peace treaty signing(I'm guessing Niflheim will only sign if Lucis relinquishes their crystal and power to them) and Aldercapt and his men leave without a peace deal signed. They leave some way, but give the signal for their army to move in, and the celebration becomes a bloodbath as the Niflheim soldiers storm the palace and the gallery.

- Noctis, Ignis, Prompto and Gladiolus make their way back to the Palace(the scenes taking place on the city streets and through alleys and garages) to find his father missing(dying or dead, even). They Ignis urges Noctis to escape, so the group decide to take the Regalia and exit through a hidden tunnel out of Lucis.

- The group heads to Lestallum(there's going to be some plot related reason), but discovers Titan's causing earthquakes around the area. Perhaps it's tied to the Exineris corporation and their mines, and an earthquake has trapped miners in a tunnel and further more quakes might cause the collapse of the mines completely(again, just guessing). Noctis and crew decide to see what's up with Titan.

- Group head to Duscae, shit happens and the Regalia needs fixin'. Cidney, er Cindy decides to fix it for a price. Group decides to take up a hunt, but knows time is of the essence(in the final game, there's likely no summon in the goblin cave). Cindy, er, Cideny fixes the Regalia and they continue their trip to the Disc of Cauthess.

- Group finds Titan, who's become agitated for some reason(probably something to do with the imbalance of the crystals) and you fight him as a boss, then eventually get him as a summon.

Yadda yadda, return to Lestallum, something something, fill in the blanks.

HeelPower

We already discussed this a while ago. I hope they do something cool with it like having Mitsuto Suzuki make some Electronica songs (the genre he's most passionate about and is the best in amongst all the SE composers) or even remixes of classic FF tracks for an urban/modern radio channel of Noctis' home city. Imagine driving around Lucis at night with some Trance/Deep House playing :D

I want a punk-rock radio station from Insomnia, with music written by SHimomura.

That would actually be pretty great. A radio station full of past FF map themes would be amazing.

I am open to anything :D

I just hope they don't miss this opportunity for a cool feature that's not too hard to implement.

I'm still thinking about it, it's just a demo but I really want to play it. Is Type-0 worth it even for free?

Its a throwback to older FF games with mostly terrible English VA (Dub) but decent localization. The camera uses motion blur to an effect that has literally made a good deal of people sick but that can be alleviated with proper R1 use.

Has a ton of content and a fantastic combat system...and a world map!!

They are still going to find an excuse to visit Cidney/Cindy. The intro where she says, "Mah name is Cindy" wasn't in the demo. I'm guessing, in the actual game, it comes before the scene the demo takes place. I don't doubt we'll get a reason they stop there. Hell, they might even work in the "Prompto was doing stupid shit or someone sabotaged the car" angle. From the dialog and description, it DOES seem to take place within the story itself. We DO know Noctis and crew are on their way to see Titan at Cauthess. They reference something regarding Titan is up because of the earthquake in the morning. We know that, that area in the game, Titan is the main summon(Archaean) you find and was cut from the demo BECAUSE he was story-specific. The inclusion of such story tidbits seem a little too meaty for something made "just for the demo". I still think the time the demo takes place will be similar to the Dollet invasion of the FFVIII demo and that event's place in the final game(and to a lesser extent, the Stillshrine of Miriam in the FFXII demo), not like FFVII and FFXIII's demos, which basically were taken from the beginning of the final games.

Guessing, I think the timeline goes like this:

- Stuff at Lucis before the peace agreement signing. King Regis and his court meet Idolas Aldercapt and his entourage at the palace to sign the treaty. Meanwhile, Lucis is celebrating the proposed peace and Noctis(and his friends, among other gathered royals) are attending a gallery party thrown for this occasion. Noctis awkwardly meets up with Stella(or Luna).

- Shit goes down at the peace treaty signing(I'm guessing Niflheim will only sign if Lucis relinquishes their crystal and power to them) and Aldercapt and his men leave without a peace deal signed. They leave some way, but give the signal for their army to move in, and the celebration becomes a bloodbath as the Niflheim soldiers storm the palace and the gallery.

- Noctis, Ignis, Prompto and Gladiolus make their way back to the Palace(the scenes taking place on the city streets and through alleys and garages) to find his father missing(dying or dead, even). They Ignis urges Noctis to escape, so the group decide to take the Regalia and exit through a hidden tunnel out of Lucis.

- The group heads to Lestallum(there's going to be some plot related reason), but discovers Titan's causing earthquakes around the area. Perhaps it's tied to the Exineris corporation and their mines, and an earthquake has trapped miners in a tunnel and further more quakes might cause the collapse of the mines completely(again, just guessing). Noctis and crew decide to see what's up with Titan.

- Group head to Duscae, shit happens and the Regalia needs fixin'. Cidney, er Cindy decides to fix it for a price. Group decides to take up a hunt, but knows time is of the essence(in the final game, there's likely no summon in the goblin cave). Cindy, er, Cideny fixes the Regalia and they continue their trip to the Disc of Cauthess.

- Group finds Titan, who's become agitated for some reason(probably something to do with the imbalance of the crystals) and you fight him as a boss, then eventually get him as a summon.

Yadda yadda, return to Lestallum, something something, fill in the blanks.

sounds good . Im so excited for the Story of this Game

jcgaming

Neo Member
Its a throwback to older FF games with mostly terrible English VA (Dub) but decent localization. The camera uses motion blur to an effect that has literally made a good deal of people sick but that can be alleviated with proper R1 use.

Has a ton of content and a fantastic combat system...and a world map!!

this game came on the psp right ? how many hours of gameplay is it ? because 60 dollars for a game, where all i want is just the demo just sounds risky.

Puflwiz

Banned
As someone who's never kept the fact that he does not like Final Fantasy (VI, VII, IX, and X) I am actually pretty jazzed up about XV. I love the idea of a road trip game and it seems to shake up just enough that It might actually hold my attention. Is there any word whether or not this demo will become public at some point?

DJIzana

As someone who's never kept the fact that he does not like final fantasy (VI, VII, IX, and X) I am actually pretty jazzed up about XV. I love the idea of a road trip game and it seems to shake up just enough that It might actually hold my attention. Is there any word whether or not this demo will become public at come point?

Pretty sure Square said it is its own stand alone thing. Chances are small though they did talk about possibly releasing the tech demo from Insomnia open to the public to look at.

As to what you can do or where you can go there? Who knows...

As someone who's never kept the fact that he does not like final fantasy (VI, VII, IX, and X) I am actually pretty jazzed up about XV. I love the idea of a road trip game and it seems to shake up just enough that It might actually hold my attention. Is there any word whether or not this demo will become public at come point?

It's confirmed to be exclusive to buyers of first print copies of Type-0 and/or all digital Type-0 purchases until two months after release. A separate tech demo may be released a little later on for the public to download, though.

Puflwiz

Banned
Pretty sure Square said it is its own stand alone thing. Chances are small though they did talk about possibly releasing the tech demo from Insomnia open to the public to look at.

As to what you can do or where you can go there? Who knows...

I mean it being its own standalone demo rather than having to buy Type-0 to access it.

EDIT
It's confirmed to be exclusive to buyers of first print copies of Type-0 and/or all digital Type-0 purchases until two months after release. A separate tech demo may be released a little later on for the public to download, though.
Alright thanks buddy. I might just go over to a friend's that has it and see for myself.

Falk

that puzzling face
I liked the customisation options with the weapons and skills and I hope they go a bit more in depth into that. The whole warping to the enemy is pretty cool and useful and MP management was a different but interesting touch. Parry seemed decently handled and I put the Zweihander on it to OHKO anything that attacked me! Really not a fan of the Defend on L1 though. It's not the MP issue, it just seems the battles aren't handled well around it. First of all I'd probably prefer a dodge roll to get out of a situation quickly, but even then there are other issues. You're locked into your attack animation so can't defend afterwards if need be. that in itself isn't a problem as it's the same as stuff like the Souls games and whatever, but most of the enemies don't even telegraph their attacks properly. I'll be fighting the Garula attacking away, and I know it'll attack me soon. I'm watching it carefully and then I suddenly get hit with no warning. Other times I'll Defend in anticipation because I feel it must be attacking soon and it never does and I just wasted attack time and MP. And even then while I'm focusing so much on any hint to guard, I get hit by another enemy off screen.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh here we go again (wtf Squeenix)

- There -is- a dodge roll
- You can recover from being attacked while on the offensive with good timing via Knightsguard
- (a little more abstract) You can definitely read enemy behavior and predict attacks before animations start. Garulas admittedly are a little nonstandard what with all their shimmying side attacks.

this game came on the psp right ? how many hours of gameplay is it ? because 60 dollars for a game, where all i want is just the demo just sounds risky.

Hey don't get me wrong, it isn't an AMAZING game lol Its a PSP HD Remaster so...you can keep your expectations at check, do some research on it. I take my time playing games like this so I'm only on chapter 3 but have 27 hours on the clock lol

Shahed

I forget did L2/R2 do anything? Same with Up and Down on the D-pad?

- You can recover from being attacked while on the offensive with good timing via Knightsguard
- (a little more abstract) You can definitely read enemy behavior and predict attacks before animations start. Garulas admittedly are a little nonstandard what with all their shimmying side attacks.

Oh it's really just the Garula's I had a problem with. Goblins, Robots, and Sabertusks were fine. I didn't play for that long but how do you dodge roll? Circle was jump. I kept pressing it instinctively coming off Type-0 lol. And what's Knightsguard? Can't recall seeing that. Those were my only issues with the combat. Parrying and managing MP was fine

Besides all of that was completely secondary to the Camera which was my main issue

If the Knightsguard is something we get in the game and we keep it forever, then I don't think that not being able to cancel out of your attacks is a problem, since you're not really giving up on defense to be able to attack, and it still requires timing.

HeelPower

In retrospect, its hilarious how Tabata said stuff like "casual controls" back in TGS ,that caused an uproar.

The system ,even at its current rudiments ,is pretty nuanced and actually has pretty demanding input windows to pull off some commands.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
In retrospect, its hilarious how Tabata said stuff like "casual controls" back in TGS ,that caused an uproar.

The system ,even at its current rudiments ,is pretty nuanced and actually has pretty demanding input windows to pull off some commands.

It is though in that you can hold down one button.

wmlk

Yeah, Tabata made it one-button action as he says to lower the skill floor. Ideally, you also wanna have a high skill ceiling for more advanced players.

Koozek

"Ramuh appears to have his own bar. Just rewatched my playthrough at 0,12x speed and it shows you this here:"
https://twitter.com/FinalXV/status/580529940053037056

CA5050AWEAMuTZf.png

I forget did L2/R2 do anything? Same with Up and Down on the D-pad?

Oh it's really just the Garula's I had a problem with. Goblins, Robots, and Sabertusks were fine. I didn't play for that long but how do you dodge roll? Circle was jump. I kept pressing it instinctively coming off Type-0 lol. And what's Knightsguard? Can't recall seeing that. Those were my only issues with the combat. Parrying and managing MP was fine

Besides all of that was completely secondary to the Camera which was my main issue

Dodge roll = R1 + O

Falk

that puzzling face
http://www.twitch.tv/baldfalk

Got a new toy (elgato hd60), Gonna be recording a playthrough just so I have something to point people to when they complain about stuff. Not necessarily to prove people wrong, but more as "but hey, you can do this to circumvent odd design choices as is". Thought I might as well put the device/software through its paces by also streaming it concurrently.

I know there's a lot of playthroughs out there but they either 1) have commentary 2) aren't what I'm looking for in terms of gameplay

Mine is going to essentially go through the main story, get 4th Armiger AFTER killing Behemoth, then level to 45 (hence a lot of random combat) and kill Behemoth.

You're welcome to tune in to laugh at me being bad after talking a big game.

DeSolos

so what is the general consensus of FF XV combat/battle system so far

Everyone has an opinion. XD

I've seen mostly positive impressions of it with the most common complaints being camera/lock on related.

More divisive opinions I've seen:

1. It's too easy/It's too hard
2. It's too simple/It's too complex
3. It should be more actiony/It should be turn based
4. It should have character switching/They should focus on making Noctis better
etc. etc.

And maybe she can put on some fucking clothes!

The clothes thing wasn't a big deal for me ever since she was revealed, but my God. The way they've got her just bending over the car like that in the demo, and then Gladiolus slyly walks over and takes a good peek. That stuff was weird to see in an FF.

Lol, what:
"That 5th HP bar shows up when you talk to Cidney for the first time too."
https://twitter.com/_bazztek/status/580535097662767105

CA55lNDWUAAZA5H.jpg

Cidney being a summon confirmed?

Wow, how did I miss that.

What if the
Ramuh summon attack
is a placeholder, and summons are actually handled differently in the final game? That HP bar indicates that they have a certain amound of time or health in which they remain active. Most likely HP, as the bar is exactly the same as the others.

Koozek

What if the
Ramuh summon attack
is a placeholder, and summons are actually handled differently in the final game? That HP bar indicates that they have a certain amound of time or health in which they remain active.

Well, obviously the summon mechanic isn't final^^ It was just like this in the demo for showing off the summon and another reason besides them not having the mechanic figured out is that it might relies on the other kind of MP bar that they said will be used for magic.

wmlk

Highly doubt this summon will play different.

We've already heard that there are different classes for summons. If anything, some summons will play different than others in allowing control. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

.JayZii

Banned
What if the
Ramuh summon attack
is a placeholder, and summons are actually handled differently in the final game? That HP bar indicates that they have a certain amound of time or health in which they remain active. Most likely HP, as the bar is exactly the same as the others.
I can see a short timer situation wherein the summon shows up and affects the environment/does AOE damage and then finishes with the big flashy attack when time is up.

HMD

Am I the only one who's a bit annoyed by the running? the world is very big and Noctis should be able to run for more than just 10 seconds at a time.

DeSolos

Am I the only one who's a bit annoyed by the running? the world is very big and Noctis should be able to run for more than just 10 seconds at a time.

I think it's OK in the demo landscape, but in some of the larger areas you can glitch into it definitely gets annoying.

Part of it is that they need to make it so you want to use the car, chocobos, and any other form of transportation they offer.

I'm betting summons in this game will be like a lot like the party limits in KH2. You'll have a gauge and you'll be able to do a number of actions in the time until the gauge reaches zero. When it does reach that number the summon will either A) disappear or B) perform a super move like Ramuh with Judgement Bolt.

I am guessing however, that doing a summons super move will make the gauge automatically reach zero.

FerDS

Well, I don't know, reading this thread I think impressions on the combat are more positive than negative, although I think everyone agrees that it needs refinement

It's the impression I have, I might be wrong

Well, I don't know, reading this thread I think impressions on the combat are more positive than negative, although I think everyone agrees that it needs refinement

It's the impression I have, I might be wrong
Yeah. The lockon needs to be simplified and the camera needs be pulled further back. The basic combat is solid, when you get the hang of it.

pszet0

Banned
People just need to give this battle system a chance. There's a learning curve and it feels really satisfying once you get the hang of it.

So for those who played the demo. How do you think will Magic work in this game? Will it benefit the gameplay - Will it get an extra Button?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I would be in heaven.

Ceravic

They said it will have its own button and another bar (not the MP bar that dodging and warping use).

Yeah, hopefully they rename the current MP bar into something else like AP for agility points, and then the magic can be based off the MP bar.

Top Bottom