• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - German/French dubs announced, Lat.Am Spanish/BrazilPortuguese text

Brentonp

It seems no one can help me now
I'm in too deep
There's no way out
This time I have really led myself astray
Runaway hype train never going back
Wrong way on a one way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there
Can you help me remember how to smile
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded
Life's mystery seems so faded

Wow, that's great. I would have loved a Latin American dub, too, though. Alan Wake and Shadow of Mordor's Latin American dubs were phenomenal. I want more games to have them, but I'll take what I can get.

Wow, that's great. I would have loved a Latin American dub, too, though. Alan Wake and Shadow of Mordor's Latin American dubs were phenomenal. I want more games to have them, but I'll take what I can get.
Microsoft does consistently good Latin American dubs. Gears of War comes to mind.

It's also a matter of taste but Sony's Argentinian Latin Spanish dubs pale in comparison. I switched to The Last of Us' dub for a bit and it was very mediocre.

What you might've heard was Mexican Spanish with all the lingo. As much as we love or hate neutral spanish the truth is anyone can understand it. No one actually speaks like that, but everyone will understand it because it uses neutral words. Less "gilipolla" and more "mierda". From Argentina to Mexico everyone will understand mierda but few will gilipolla. More "niño, hombre, muchacho" and less "chaval". There is nothing difficult to understand about neutral spanish, even if you don't like it.

It's not about understaning, it is about sounding natural.
It's a long time since I played a game in spanish, but if I buy a game in Spain I would want it to have "chavales gilipollas", not "hombres mierda".

"Neutral" spanish is a linguistic atrocity. It only erodes the linguistic richness of all spanish variants.

Caronte

What you might've heard was Mexican Spanish with all the lingo. As much as we love or hate neutral spanish the truth is anyone can understand it. No one actually speaks like that, but everyone will understand it because it uses neutral words. Less "gilipolla" and more "mierda". From Argentina to Mexico everyone will understand mierda but few will gilipolla. More "niño, hombre, muchacho" and less "chaval". There is nothing difficult to understand about neutral spanish, even if you don't like it.

The goal about a dub is to help people get into the game and make it more immersive. The moment you change something so simple as 'vosotros' for 'ustedes' you've failed with the Spanish audience in Spain. That's why the same English translation works for different countries but a Spanish one doesn't. It's impossible to translate something in a way that sounds good to everyone in Spanish, it's absolutely pointless to even try it.

Mortemis

Banned
That's awesome. Square's going all out for this game and I hope it turns out well for them.

Just think, just a week left till M_Night brings the cavalry and this game takes over GAF.

The goal about a dub is to help people get into the game and make it more immersive. The moment you change something so simple as 'vosotros' for 'ustedes' you've fail with the Spanish audience in Spain. That's why the same English translation works for different countries but a Spanish one doesn't. It's impossible to translate something in a way that sounds good to everyone in Spanish, it's absolutely pointless to even try it.
But I'd like to know why.

Why can Americans stomach British English and viceversa but we can't stomach European Spanish? I don't have an answer.

Microsoft does consistently good Latin American dubs. Gears of War comes to mind.

It's also a matter of taste but Sony's Argentinian Latin Spanish dubs pale in comparison. I switched to The Last of Us' dub for a bit and it was very mediocre.
Yeah, I've noticed. Unfortunately, I'm not really an XBOX guy and I'll only really experience their dubs if they come to PC.

I actually use this site to see what's what out there: http://es.doblaje.wikia.com/wiki/Categoría:Videojuegos Can't wait to hear Quantum Break's dub <3

You bet I am, we're all in this. We either reach our destination or go down in a train wreck together.

im_ready_game_of_thrones.gif

Andromeda

Banned
This is great news for people who speak those languages.

I'll be playing with Japanese audio and English subs on my first playthrough then the English dub on my second.

DSix

Banned
If the French version doesn't give the choice for Japanese VO I'm out.

Otherwise it's fine and we're in for a good laugh, French dubs are legendary for being awful across the board.

Famassu

Have they even confirmed Japanese VOs for any region outside Japan? They keep saying they aren't saying a definitive no at the possibility of including the Japanese voices in western versions, but nothing has been confirmed so far either, unless I missed some news.

Jubern

If the French version doesn't give the choice for Japanese VO I'm out.

Otherwise it's fine and we're in for a good laugh, French dubs are legendary for being awful across the board.

Have they even confirmed Japanese VOs for any region outside Japan? They keep saying they aren't saying a definitive no at the possibility of including the Japanese voices in western versions, but nothing has been confirmed so far either, unless I missed some news.

In the French dub announcement Tabata said we'd also get the English and Japanese dubs.

JohnTH

I'm going to throw light with this Latin's Spanish and Spain's Spanish thingy..

Well, the problem isn't really with the whole "latin spanish", the closer a country that speak spanish is to EE.UU, the more friction there is between our dialects (i'm from Spain.)

Mexican's spanish, EE.UU.'s spanish (Florida and such), are hugely influenced by the english language, there are so many semantic calcs in that spanish; the structure they use, the words, the "rules" of their grammar... whereas here in Spain we aren't that influenced by other languages (unless you're a bad news writer) as they are with english, so our Spanish retains more of its specific traits and we have more set phrases of our own.
Examples: The use of articles and the gender of the words, since everything in english is "the", they are used to use the article "el" (spanish's equivalent) for every many words, even if it's feminine in spanish. English is neutral in this aspects, we're not. I think this happens with mostly neologisms, tho.

Examples
ENG -> Latin SP -> Spain SP
the car -> el carro -> el coche
the cell phone -> el celular -> el móvil
the computer -> el computador -> El ordenador
the PlayStation 4 -> el PS4 -> La ps4

The final result is that people who use "latin spanish" can't bear spain's spanish; and Spanish people can't bear that spanish.

I have to say that, the more further Latin Spanish users are from EE.UU, the less friction there is with our own.

English based languages don't have this problem because they are their own reference; they are who create most things, since english is the international language nowadays.

So it's a lot like European and Brazilian Portuguese. Interesting :3

Holy shit, really? I mean I always knew there were differences as much as Latin and European Spanish have but almost another language? As native spanish speaker I couldn't tell the difference between both Portugueses and I've had both spoken to me slowly enough and I'm able to understand 90% of what they're saying. Its truly amazing how similar Spanish and Portuguese are that you can speak in one and be understood by the other without having to know the same language.

They're really not that different, lol. Formal speech is almost identical; it's the jargon and slang that gets you, because, like with LatAm Spanish, they use a bunch of English nonsense for concepts we have in Portuguese:

• English -> Brazil -> Portugal
  • Videogame -> Videogame -> Videojogo
  • (Soccer) Cup -> Copa -> Taça
  • (Soccer) Team -> Time (pronounced like "team") -> Equipa
  • (Computer) Mouse -> Mouse -> Rato
  • Cellphone -> Celular -> Telemóvel
  • The PS4 -> O Play 4 -> A PS4
  • Controller -> Controle -> Comando
It didn't have to be this way! This nonsense could have been prevented ;P

and there are a lots of words and slangs from portugal that in brazil just sound ... wrong LOL...

Pá, não me venhas com coisas cuz that goes the other way around too, y'know? ;D

Koozek

German one has Japanese and English audio.

So it's a lot like European and Brazilian Portuguese. Interesting :3

They're really not that different, lol. Formal speech is almost identical; it's the jargon and slang that gets you, because, like with LatAm Spanish, they use a bunch of English nonsense for concepts we have in Portuguese:

• English -> Brazil -> Portugal
  • Videogame -> Videogame -> Videojogo
  • (Soccer) Cup -> Copa -> Taça
  • (Soccer) Team -> Time (pronounced like "team") -> Equipa
  • (Computer) Mouse -> Mouse -> Rato
  • Cellphone -> Celular -> Telemóvel
  • The PS4 -> O Play 4 -> A PS4
  • Controller -> Controle -> Comando
It didn't have to be this way! This nonsense could have been prevented ;P

That is disconcertingly similar to the differences between LatAm and European Spanish! Who would've known!

Whompa02

Also [!UNCONFIRMED!]: According to a Twitter user Tabata said on the stream that the airship implementation is finalized, the game takes roughly 50 hours to beat and regarding the leaked release date he said "Just wait and see!".

Airships? AIRSHIPS!?

giphy.gif

I'm so excited for this event. I just want a nice cgi/gameplay trailer. That's all I need.

Koozek

@RedMakuzawa is live-tweeting the new information while watching:

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa

I might make a new thread with all the info later if it's worthy.
---

Also, let the hype flow through you (thanks@Mognet's Rin):
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/73482340/847335220

A few of my coworkers had to change their pants several times watching the new trailer.
I was wise enough not to crap my own pants, and instead crapped someone else's.

L. Spiro​

L. Spiro is a verified SE employee (graphics programmer on the Luminous engine)

Ydelnae

Even if they kept saying that the airship the wouldn't be ready for the game's release, it seems like worked hard to get it ready in time. I didn't mind not having an airship in this game, though, but it's amazing that they implemented it.

Obviously any Gaffer posting here is fluent in english so how many of you will be playing FFXV with a different dub/sub track than English?

I've been playing game in English all my life in part because there was no other option and in part because I know the language. As I grew up more games came translated into some form of spanish (usually european Spanish more than Latin) but I stuck with English always since many times it was the original language or at least english was worked closely with the Japanese original while other languages were an afterthought.

So, with that said, I'm excited to see the Latin American market getting big enough for companies to care and getting our own text translation is very good! But I'll stick with English... I'll be too confused by terms and spell names in Spanish to make it worthwhile.

Who's sticking to English and who's playing it in Spanish/Japanese/French/German/Italian/Portuguese/Russian?

FUCK english dub, Japanese + latin american text all the way baby.

FUCK english dub, Japanese + latin american text all the way baby.
If this was my first FF I may have gone that route but I've played every main FF since VI and I'm too used to the terms, names, spells, items, etc in English. It would be very confusing to try to make sense of which is which. I'd be stopping to translate each term to English to know what it really is. Wouldn't that happen to you too?

Mariip

ei, só posso falar pelo meu país :S, a friend of mine that spent some time in Coimbra said that you use "cacetinho" for "pão francês"(bread), that. is. just. wrong.

i've always found it funny how european spanish/portuguese refuses to use english words sometimes... i mean, is nice to keep the culture alive, but some of the words they come up with sound just... odd xD (like the 'rato' for mouse... i know the meaning is the same, but seeing 'rato' being used as an eletronic device name just makes me laugh since i'm not used to)

Top Bottom