• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - German/French dubs announced, Lat.Am Spanish/BrazilPortuguese text

Feu1 Feu2 Feu3 is kind of outdated as it was only present in the terribad translation of FFVII. Nowadays it's more "Brasier" "Brasier +" and "Brasier X"

I've never played VII in French. I know FFIV DS used the exponents. I forget what the XIII games used. Though I did play X in French for the first time with the HD release and it did use Brasier + and X. I don't like it, haha.

Mariip

Trust me. It's night and day.

And I'm willing to bet that the Spanish you understand better is the Latin one (especially from Mexico... never watched El Chavo del 8 in its original tongue?) since it's the more neutral. Spaniards took the ball and ran with it to their own tiny little corner, it's so different from the rest of us. Most of the Spanish dubs for movies and tv shows that people all over Latin America get are made in Mexico because of its relatively neutrality so chances are thats the one you've been more in contact with. You'll never hear a European Spanish dub making its way over here officially (unless the thing was originally produced and made in Spain at which point it wouldn't be a dub).

maybe... but 'ive spoken to an spanish lady from madrid and i still could understand her perfectly too... i think the similarities make it harder to understand actually...
and nope i haven't watched chavo in spanish yet, luckly they still air it here(yep, they still do)

I've always wanted to ask something abut latin spanish dubs: how do they work? you have a lot of countries that speak the same language, but I don't think they do a version for each country, so where are your dubs usually made? Aren't there huge differences between...say.. mexican spanish and chilean spanish? In brazil we have a lot of different accents and regional differences but the dubs are always made in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, and since i'm from São Paulo that doesn't bother me, but i was curious since it's not just a state change, but country changes too...

wiibomb

We're getting there. We've gone from having to import english only games from the US for insane prices (unless you went for the grey market), to having them here for competitive prices, to having some of them with european Spanish to now where a big game not having at least latin spanish subs is the odd one out and many include even latin dubs!

The market has grown a lot since the primitive days of young me having to play Super Mario RPG with a dictionary back in 1996 because english-only! It's just not as big yet as to warrant the extra dough needed to dub to our language such a huge game like FFXV.

it is still early, I know, but nice efforts have been made, specially with Sony First and Second Party studios. Both God of War and The Last of Us include Latin American spanish dubs, and they were pretty great, not on the english level, but not that far behind either. I don't know if Uncharted has ever included those options

maybe... but 'ive spoken to an spanish lady from madrid and i still could understand her perfectly too... i think the similarities make it harder to understand actually...
and nope i haven't watched chavo in spanish yet, luckly they still air it here(yep, they still do)

I've always wanted to ask something abut latin spanish dubs: how do they work? you have a lot of countries that speak the same language, but I don't think they do a version for each country, so where are your dubs usually made? Aren't there huge differences between...say.. mexican spanish and chilean spanish? In brazil we have a lot of different accents and regional differences but the dubs are always made in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, and since i'm from São Paulo that doesn't bother me, but i was curious since it's not just a state change, but country changes too...

Because every country has its own words and phrases, they use the ones that are common to all of them, in the end they get a "neutral" spanish.

Ishida

Banned
Nope. Argentina. And AFAIK only Sony first party games are getting dubbed there. Microsoft, WB Games, EA, Ubisoft (i.e. the big guys) do it in Mexico. Venezuela was becoming a powerhouse for latin spanish dubs a decade or so ago but that industry, among the rest of the country, went to shit mostly.

I stand corrected.

Ochibi

I've never played VII in French. I know FFIV DS used the exponents. I forget what the XIII games used. Though I did play X in French for the first time with the HD release and it did use Brasier + and X. I don't like it, haha.

XIV has changed this.

Feu1 is Feu
Feu2 is Extra Feu
Feu3 is Méga Feu

Same for Cure / Cura / Curaga etc.

Mariip

Because every country has its own words and phrases, they use the ones that are common to all of them, in the end they get a "neutral" spanish.

oh... i see, so it's a bit more democratic than what they do around here where two regions had dominated the dub market i guess xD

Pretty impressive. Square really seem to be making a concentrated effort to have this game enjoyed by as many people as possible. I hope that we'll continue to see this for even more games in the future, because growing the audience is a good thing for everyone.

I'm happy for everyone who will get to play the games in their native tongue for the first time.

XIV has changed this.

Feu1 is Feu
Feu2 is Extra Feu
Feu3 is Méga Feu

Same for Cure / Cura / Curaga etc.

Lame.

I feel that the French localizers cannot come up with set terms to reuse in future games; it seems to change all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if XV also uses different names.

Philippo

Heh not to shit on German VAs, i herd it only a few times, but it's kinda awful.
I expect this to sound like some kind of 90s anime, the same thing if they do italian too.

As others have responded yes, they aim for the most neutral words that are common in all regions.

In English it'd be like if they had to choose between the British word "bloke" or the American "dude" and they went for the neutral "person", or "man". Something similar works for Latin Spanish dubs. Also they try to keep the regional accent as neutral as possible. And yes most are done in Mexico but Chile, Colombia and Argentina do some from time to time. Venezuela used to make some but they have more important stuff to worry about now, sadly.

Spaniards practically don't know the meaning of the word neutral so their dubs are worth Jack and shit for any Spanish speaker outside of Spain so they get their own dubs that are never used over here.

Aru

I never expected a solo Final Fantasy game with French dubs... The last JRPG I remember having French dubs was Blue Dragon.
I was surprised to hear French dubs in FF14 too but I thought "Yeah it's a popular MMO after all...".

If they are good, OK I'll keep them on. Otherwise, back to English and/or Japanese.

It's nice to see S-E putting everything into this game.

But for fuck's sake S-E, don't use the Advent Children FR voice actors for FFVII Remake please. That dub was mediocre.

Elios83

Only subtitles in italian but I think it's better that way, a bad/cheap dub based on top of an inaccurate translation can ruin the game.

the marketing push for this game will be huge isn't it. expecting noctis to become the new Lightning and get a 5 year contract with a modeling agency and cologne line and clothing too.

Sesto

Banned
Eh, you know how German dubs are here. Though, I tried the German one in TW3 for a few minutes and it actually wasn't that bad.

the only negative experience I had with german dubs was for Skyrim, were the whole game was likely voiced by 2 people (a man and a woman) xD

Turin

Banned
the marketing push for this game will be huge isn't it. expecting noctis to become the new Lightning and get a 5 year contract with a modeling agency and cologne line and clothing too.

Pretty sure there was a cologne line even before it got rebranded.

Mariip

As others have responded yes, they aim for the most neutral words that are common in all regions.

In English it'd be like if they had to choose between the British word "bloke" or the American "dude" and they went for the neutral "person", or "man". Something similar works for Latin Spanish dubs. Also they try to keep the regional accent as neutral as possible. And yes most are done in Mexico but Chile, Colombia and Argentina do some from time to time. Venezuela used to make some but they have more important stuff to worry about now, sadly.

Spaniards practically don't know the meaning of the word neutral so their dubs are worth Jack and shit for any Spanish speaker outside of Spain so they get their own dubs that are never used over here.
hah... I figured spain would be like portugal in that regard... though i don't blame them, it's not worth making a version no one would be happy with(or even understand lol)

Luckly you can agree in a neutral spanish for latin america then... it'd be awful if you had to stick with a latin spanish version that excludes your country like the european versions do...

Lain

Great piece of news and about time. Too bad Italian isn't also getting the same treatment. Though, from only reading the OP it isn't clear to me, are they not including Italian subs at all?

Mariip

Great piece of news and about time. Too bad Italian isn't also getting the same treatment. Though, from only reading the OP it isn't clear to me, are they not including Italian subs at all?

I believe Tabata mentioned italian text a some time ago(and episode duscae mentioned it too if i recall correctly...) is just that the headlines are the german and french voices, as well as the brazilian portuguese and latin america spanish versions are the unexpected news this time

I mean... If older FF games had italian text, there's no reason they won't have it now :)

Caronte

What you call 'neutral' is Latin American to us, that's why we hate those dubs in Spain.

Mendax

the only negative experience I had with german dubs was for Skyrim, were the whole game was likely voiced by 2 people (a man and a woman) xD

i thought the english 3 men and 3 women was so bad it was super funny, amazing if german was even worse lol ^^

As long as I can change it to English go ahead. German dubs are aweful. Like almost all of them.
I was so pissed when I got Wolfenstein only to find out there was only the German dub. Still didn't play much of the game because of it.

German and French versions include English and Japanese audio too.

Oh, thank god! Did I mention I hate German dubs?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I'm not that into the english voice on this game, so I'll probably put japanese voice and portuguese text.

Oh, yeah. That's the dream, baby

Bennettt2

great news and an unprecedented production. Sets the benchmark for future numbered FFs. SE have stepped up, which is a promising sign that they have faith it will be a good game.

Famassu

wow... just how much budget are they gonna use on this game?
Localizing to local markets can be REALLY worth it in Europe, especially in countries like a very Anglophobic (as far as the language goes) France. We aren't just talking about a few more thousand copies sold, it can really drive sales to whole new levels vs. not doing it.

Localizing to local markets can be REALLY worth it in Europe, especially in countries like a very Anglophobic (as far as the language goes) France.

As to what I read so far on Final fantasy blogs/Facebook from French medias in regards to this new, people seems fine with French localization, but will still play the game with jp audio regardless... It's how far they have faith in their dub actors !

Famassu

As to what I read so far on Final fantasy blogs/Facebook from French medias in regards to this new, people seems fine with French localization, but will still play the game with jp audio regardless... It's how far they have faith in their dub actors !
Sure, for a lot of people it's enough if they just get texts/subtitles in French or whatever the nationality/language, but dubs make it even more accessible for an even larger audience, at least if it's done even half-decently.

Sesto

Banned

Only a very small fraction will probably play the game in japanese, I mean it's not like japanese is huge in France. So I assume only the most hardcore French ottakus will play the game on japanese and offcourse they will brag about it on every occasion they find (Forums like NeoGaf xD)

Only a very small fraction will probably play the game in japanese, I mean it's not like japanese is huge in France. So I assume only the most hardcore French ottakus will play the game on japanese and offcourse they will brag about it on every occasion they find (Forums like NeoGaf xD)

Oh God I remember people on GAF and Kotaku honest to goodness complaining because MGS4 wasn't going to include the Japanese dub whining how they can't stand the English dub. As if any of the previous Metal Gears have included the JP track at all. Unless you live in Japan there's little reason to believe you grew up with Snake speaking Japanese (and if you do live there getting a Japanese MGS4 wasn't going to be a problem) and still people found a way to complain about it.

KupoNut

I'll play the game in Japanese and know many others will. A lot of people who watch anime are FFXV fans and they know that the Japanese voice cast is off the charts, while others know Japanese and can understand nuances from the Japanese script that never would make it into the English localization because it's grammatically impossible. (like suffering passive)

Mar Nosso

Banned
As a Portuguese guy living in England I'll go with English dub and text. I almost always prefer the original version anyway and if I read stuff in Brazilian Portuguese in my head I start reading in a soap opera accent and it just grinds my mind and brings me out of immersion.

To be fair, even if there was a Luso-Portuguese version I would still go with the original one.

Rising_Hei

I'm going to throw light with this Latin's Spanish and Spain's Spanish thingy..

Well, the problem isn't really with the whole "latin spanish", the closer a country that speak spanish is to EE.UU, the more friction there is between our dialects (i'm from Spain.)

Mexican's spanish, EE.UU.'s spanish (Florida and such), are hugely influenced by the english language, there are so many semantic calcs in that spanish; the structure they use, the words, the "rules" of their grammar... whereas here in Spain we aren't that influenced by other languages (unless you're a bad news writer) as they are with english, so our Spanish retains more of its specific traits and we have more set phrases of our own.
Examples: The use of articles and the gender of the words, since everything in english is "the", they are used to use the article "el" (spanish's equivalent) for every many words, even if it's feminine in spanish. English is neutral in this aspects, we're not. I think this happens with mostly neologisms, tho.

Examples
ENG -> Latin SP -> Spain SP
the car -> el carro -> el coche
the cell phone -> el celular -> el móvil
the computer -> el computador -> El ordenador
the PlayStation 4 -> el PS4 -> La ps4

The final result is that people who use "latin spanish" can't bear spain's spanish; and Spanish people can't bear that spanish.

I have to say that, the more further Latin Spanish users are from EE.UU, the less friction there is with our own.

English based languages don't have this problem because they are their own reference; they are who create most things, since english is the international language nowadays.

I'm going to throw light with this Latin's Spanish and Spain's Spanish thingy..

Well, the problem isn't really with the whole "latin spanish", the closer a country that speak spanish is to EE.UU, the more friction there is between our dialects (i'm from Spain.)

Mexican's spanish, EE.UU.'s spanish (Florida and such), are hugely influenced by the english language, there are so many semantic calcs in that spanish; the structure they use, the words, the "rules" of their grammar... whereas here in Spain we aren't that influenced by other languages (unless you're a bad news writer) as they are with english, so our Spanish retains more of its specific traits and we have more set phrases of our own.
Examples: The use of articles and the gender of the words, since everything in english is "the", they are used to use the article "el" (spanish's equivalent) for every many words, even if it's feminine in spanish. English is neutral in this aspects, we're not. I think this happens with mostly neologisms, tho.

Examples
ENG -> Latin SP -> Spain SP
the car -> el carro -> el coche
the cell phone -> el celular -> el móvil
the computer -> el computador -> El ordenador
the PlayStation 4 -> el PS4 -> La ps4

The final result is that people who use "latin spanish" can't bear spain's spanish; and Spanish people can't bear that spanish.

I have to say that, the more further Latin Spanish users are from EE.UU, the less friction there is with our own.

English based languages don't have this problem because they are their own reference; they are who create most things, since english is the international language nowadays.

I understand the EE.UU. term but an American here not in the know might think you meant European Union.

Also we, at least in Mexico, never ever ever ever will refer to a PC by "el computador". Its always "la computadora".

You're 100% correct on consoles though. Everyone and their mom here say "el Playstation" or "el Nintendo". Its weird and ear shattering to hear "la Playstation". I know "la consola" is feminine but so many other synonyms that can apply to a videogame console are masculine like "el aparato", "el juego", or even the outdated "el juguete". And I agree that being near the USA does influence but you can't deny the differences have been there for ages long before the invention and influence the US had with their movies, tv and whatnot.

Also what's up with your brethren calling Spider-Man "speederman" (en español pronunciado "espiderman"), I find that very weird because thats neither english or spanish. Just go with "Hombre-Araña" instead ;)

And don't even get me started with the "onda vital" term being used in Spain's dub for every move on DBZ. That wasn't US influence, that was just lazy dubbing XD

We know you guys love your onda vital : )

We really really really don't.

Trust me. It's night and day.

And I'm willing to bet that the Spanish you understand better is the Latin one (especially from Mexico... never watched El Chavo del 8 in its original tongue?) since it's the more neutral. Spaniards took the ball and ran with it to their own tiny little corner, it's so different from the rest of us. Most of the Spanish dubs for movies and tv shows that people all over Latin America get are made in Mexico because of its relatively neutrality so chances are thats the one you've been more in contact with. You'll never hear a European Spanish dub making its way over here officially (unless the thing was originally produced and made in Spain at which point it wouldn't be a dub).

It may sounds more "neutral" to you because it is the spanish you grew up with. But for us in europe, understanding mexican can prove really difficult. You guys have your own words and expression. Also lots of loanwords from english.

I really hate "neutral" spanish. It is an artificial language nobody uses. Each country should have its own script.

It may sounds more "neutral" to you because it is the spanish you grew up with. But for us in europe, understanding mexican can prove really difficult. You guys have your own words and expression. Also lots of loanwords from english.

I really hate "neutral" spanish. It is an artificial language nobody uses. Each country should have its own script.

What you might've heard was Mexican Spanish with all the lingo. As much as we love or hate neutral spanish the truth is anyone can understand it. No one actually speaks like that, but everyone will understand it because it uses neutral words. Less "gilipolla" and more "mierda". From Argentina to Mexico everyone will understand mierda but few will gilipolla. More "niño, hombre, muchacho" and less "chaval". There is nothing difficult to understand about neutral spanish, even if you don't like it.

Top Bottom