• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Hands-On Demo (Chapter 0-3) Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voror

I bet Noctis' fishing ties into Ignis' cooking.
Noctis can probably fish for seafood dish ingredients that are either unavailable or way more expensive from vendors.

I think it does at that and probably gives access to special ingredients that way. I was just curious if there was anything else tied to it like a special questline. I thought it could be cool for that sort of thing. Like a quest for Prompto to take special pictures to turn in for rewards.

About summons, I think they said you had to fight every summon you get so a few big ones.

Smaller ones idk how you get but Tabata said there are a few small ones like carbuncle

Yeah, I remember that part I think.

Okay, I couldn't remember if that had been mentioned more recently or not. Makes me curious about the smaller ones though. I remember one of the leaks discussing what seemed like smaller summons, but I think that particular one has been dismissed.

I think it does at that and probably gives access to special ingredients that way. I was just curious if there was anything else tied to it like a special questline. I thought it could be cool for that sort of thing. Like a quest for Prompto to take special pictures to turn in for rewards.

Yeah, I remember that part I think.

Okay, I couldn't remember if that had been mentioned more recently or not. Makes me curious about the smaller ones though. I remember one of the leaks discussing what seemed like smaller summons, but I think that particular one has been dismissed.
I think by smaller summons it's like shiva size for example and not Titan/Levi size

Amazing. So this guy who is a self-proclaimed Final Fantasy hater (In his own words) loved what he saw and played? Man, this game will deliver, won't it? :D
How can you be a Final Fantasy when most of them are quite different experiences when compared one to another?

Ishida

Banned
How can you be a Final Fantasy when most of them are quite different experiences when compared one to another?

Oh yes, but most of them usually follow the same or similar tropes. And well, there are people who just can't stand Japanese aesthetics no matter how varied or different they are from each other.

Zedark

Oooh man! Those positive impressions just keep coming! :)

The best thing is perhaps that people are now excited about what is actually (almost) the final product. People think the game itself is actually exciting, not just a demo or a trailer. I think this game will do great.

Famassu

I hate the idea of the prologue. Why spoil such a twist in the story at all? Imagine if such a thing would have been something that they hid until people actually experienced it late in the game. For Tabata having been focused on not spoiling most of FFXV so far, spoiling such a big deal in the first seconds of the game is so, so dumb. :/

Naysayers are very outspoken, don't let them cloud the perception. Obviously a highly anticipated and sought after title, Cindi Mayweather be damned

Please leave my name out of Final Fantasy threads just because I disagree with you on XV.

Thanks.

aOgM9Z2.gif

Can you guys knock it off. You're kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy by baiting responses. Opinions are opinions, and GAF actually isn't a hive mind.

Thank you, Falk-sama.

jackal27

Banned
I played the Gamescom demo today and will write a bigger post soon, but I just want to say: Jesus Christ, this game is ugly as sin when you actually run around the open world. Not compared to a target render, just as an open world game running on PS4. The environments in the open world look like they belong to a game from 8 years ago. I was honestly floored by how bad it looked even compared to the Duscae Demo.

Also, you cant drive the car. Its on rails. You can steer a liiiiiittle to the left and the right, but you cant turn yourself or leave the road. Even speed is applied automatically.

Both things that I feared. How did the battle system fair in your opinion? the landscapes look very bland, but do the battles make up for that at all?

I hate the idea of the prologue. Why spoil such a twist in the story at all? Imagine if such a thing would have been something that they hid until people actually experienced it late in the game. For Tabata having been focused on not spoiling most of FFXV so far, spoiling such a big deal in the first seconds of the game is so, so dumb. :/
I wonder if something will drastically differ near the end so that the spoiler in the beginning is actually a way to throw you off.

Or maybe they really are just doing it the historical k-drama way and spoiling the ending near the beginning kinda thing.

Oh yes, but most of them usually follow the same or similar tropes. And well, there are people who just can't stand Japanese aesthetics no matter how varied or different they are from each other.
Maybe he is more of a JRPG hater then. Why specifically target Final Fantasy for something as general as Japanese aesthetics or tropes that are widely used in the genre. Just strikes me as odd.

Ishida

Banned

Maybe it is not really a twist? Maybe it is something Tabata wanted you to see to keep you wondering. Unless the leaks have confirmed something, we still don't know the real context behind that scene.

If they are showing such a scene in the prologue, it only means that they have lots of surprises and twists under their sleeve. Personally I'm not worried. They are only showing the tip of the iceberg.

sappyday

Maybe it is not really a twist? Maybe it is something Tabata wanted you to see to keep you wondering. Unless the leaks have confirmed something, we still don't know the real context behind that scene.

If they are showing such a scene in the prologue, it only means that they have lots of surprises and twists under their sleeve. Personally I'm not worried. They are only showing the tip of the iceberg.

Yea that's what I'm thinking too. Them releasing the model makes me think this more.

Voror

I think by smaller summons it's like shiva size for example and not Titan/Levi size

Ah, that would make sense. I always took it to mean something like summons that weren't critical in the way that Titan/Levi seem to be.

I remember when we speculated how their effects would work. Like with Levi from 2013 trailer, I remember theories that it might have the big summon effect or a more minor one since you could see these small water Levis roaming around everywhere.

jackal27

Banned
Dawg ruffling all the
PS2 chocobo
feathers.

I know this is a joke, but I have to say it. I was just playing Monster Hunter Generations on my 3DS and Kokoto Village from the original PS2 game seriously does not look all that different from the environment in that screenshot, particularly the textures and those flat trees in the background. And yeah it's still in development yadda yadda and it's just the Chocobo racing environment, but come on guys.

Man, I am asking for it huh?

Yes, it was manual control, Noct was driving. You actually can't choose automatic driving at the beginning, it only get's unlocked after you arrive at your first destination. In Automatic Mode you don't have any input whatsoever and a kind of "loading bar" is displayed at the top of the screen, showing you how long it's going to take. Can't skip it though.

Manual Mode is utter nonsense and it's kinda crazy it's even called that with how little input you actually have.

Graphics aside, did you have any fun ?

bunkitz

Huh. At this point in the development, during this section of the story,
Regis is still alive? Because I'm assuming he dies in Kingsglaive and stuff. Hence Noctis and gang looking for the Phantom Swords, etc. Unless Cor just thought that Regis is dead...

Then again, I wouldn't want to spoil myself about that...

Dawg

I just got home from gamescom and I feel like I should explain the tweet that people have been talking about.

I did not exaggerate and I didn't tweet that just for attention or anything. I haven't been keeping up with recent Final Fantasy XV previews so I have no idea what other people think about it. I don't even know if I played the same version. All I know is that the version I played was the exact same version the public at gamescom gets to play. All I did was get a Square Enix VIP card so I didn't have to wait in line for hours. I wasn't playing the game behind closer doors or anything.

The one thing I did notice is that my booth was the only one with a PlayStation 4 controller in the entire row. Every other booth had an Xbox controller. I figured I was lucky since that was the version I've been wanting to play. I was expecting some upgrades and a game that would feel a lot more final than Duscae back in the day.

Now, I won't get into story details or anything since I don't want to spoil people. I'll just talk about the points I mentioned in the tweet, starting with the downgrade talk. This is a weird one for me as I don't usually care about downgrades. As long as the game looks fine, I don't really care if the launch trailer looked a lot better. But in the case of Final Fantasy XV, I guess it's more of an issue since I've played Duscae before. So I actually played the game when it looked better. No hyperbole, I honestly thought the version I played at gamescom looked worse than Duscae. It ran better, but looked worse. It feels like they couldn't improve the performance without dropping the graphics. I remember, near the intro, the logo would appear with an overview of the Duscae zone in the background. The area looked so disappointing. Low quality textures in the background, popin, just a disappointing picture overall. It sure as hell didn't look like a cutting edge JRPG. And it's weird... because Duscae wasn't really that impressive either. But now I notice more popin and blurry/hazy graphics. It's weird. Maybe I just remember Duscae as a better looking game. I should give it a try again.

Now the sound issues were a big dealbreaker for me, but I'm starting to think this was specific to my booth. It was just way too awful to be a bug or anything. I have trouble believing the devs wouldn't notice it. The sound would distort, hitch and lag all the time. It honestly ruined the narrative part of the demo for me. It would sometimes go away, but then it came back, even worse. At one point it was just one distorted mess. I couldn't even make out what the characters were saying anymore. Unless other people who play the demo at gamescom also bring this up, I'm going to assume this is just a specific demo booth issue.

The one thing I might have exaggerated a little are the unresponsive controls. Gameplay worked fine for the most part, but every now and then Noctis wouldn't respond to the actions I'd give him. At one point, the game started to drop frames during a boss fight and it got so bad that Noctis would run left when I'd press the joystick to the right, he wouldn't regain HP even when I'd hide behind a rock and he wouldn't attack when I'd press the attack button. At first I thought he was confused or something but I didn't see any debuff or anything. Other times, Noctis would stop jumping when I'd press X for no reason at all. They could just be bugs, but I do hope they sort this out before release.

As for the car, tons of people have been telling me "BUT WE KNEW IT WAS ON RAILS AND THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE THE ROAD". Well, yeah. I get you. But that doesn't change the fact it feels like a very cheap/ancient way to drive a car in a blockbuster 2016 title. I'd rather have no car than a halfassed car. It just doesn't feel natural. It feels very sloppy and restricted. I don't get the feeling I'm driving a car. Maybe they'll get it right before the game releases. Who knows. I'm just commenting on what I played right now and I didn't like it that much.

Now, I know I'm painting a very grim picture of Final Fantasy XV but please note that most of my complaints are related to the technical side of the game. I actually enjoyed the new combat system a lot. It felt fluid, more natural and... fun. I understood it right away, unlike Duscae. I can't speak much about the story, but I liked what I saw for now. And honestly, if the gameplay & story end up being good, I won't mind the technical side of things as much. But if you're playing a short demo, you'll notice the flaws a lot more. And in this case, as much as I tried, I couldn't ignore the disappointing graphics.

jackal27

Banned
I just got home from gamescom and I feel like I should explain the tweet that people have been talking about.

Thanks for the clarification. I was actually curious if the game would have any sound issues based on some of the stuff I've heard in gameplay videos. Voices seem to kick in kind of awkwardly to me I dunno. That's something that could definitely get smoothed out though.

Well, it is the Xbox version. Does it look that bad on the PS4?

In the videos they released it looked the same to me. I can't imagine they would release footage of the Xbox version. I could be wrong though.

I did not exaggerate and I didn't tweet that just for attention or anything. I haven't been keeping up with recent Final Fantasy XV previews so I have no idea what other people think about it. I don't even know if I played the same version. All I know is that the version I played was the exact same version the public at gamescom gets to play. All I did was get a Square Enix VIP card so I didn't have to wait in line for hours. I wasn't playing the game behind closer doors or anything.

The one thing I did notice is that my booth was the only one with a PlayStation 4 controller in the entire row. Every other booth had an Xbox controller. I figured I was lucky since that was the version I've been wanting to play. I was expecting some upgrades and a game that would feel a lot more final than Duscae back in the day.

Now, I won't get into story details or anything since I don't want to spoil people. I'll just talk about the points I mentioned in the tweet, starting with the downgrade talk. This is a weird one for me as I don't usually care about downgrades. As long as the game looks fine, I don't really care if the launch trailer looked a lot better. But in the case of Final Fantasy XV, I guess it's more of an issue since I've played Duscae before. So I actually played the game when it looked better. No hyperbole, I honestly thought the version I played at gamescom looked worse than Duscae. It ran better, but looked worse. It feels like they couldn't improve the performance without dropping the graphics. I remember, near the intro, the logo would appear with an overview of the Duscae zone in the background. The area looked so disappointing. Low quality textures in the background, popin, just a disappointing picture overall. It sure as hell didn't look like a cutting edge JRPG. And it's weird... because Duscae wasn't really that impressive either. But now I notice more popin and blurry/hazy graphics. It's weird. Maybe I just remember Duscae as a better looking game. I should give it a try again.

Now the sound issues were a big dealbreaker for me, but I'm starting to think this was specific to my booth. It was just way too awful to be a bug or anything. I have trouble believing the devs wouldn't notice it. The sound would distort, hitch and lag all the time. It honestly ruined the narrative part of the demo for me. It would sometimes go away, but then it came back, even worse. At one point it was just one distorted mess. I couldn't even make out what the characters were saying anymore. Unless other people who play the demo at gamescom also bring this up, I'm going to assume this is just a specific demo booth issue.

The one thing I might have exaggerated a little are the unresponsive controls. Gameplay worked fine for the most part, but every now and then Noctis wouldn't respond to the actions I'd give him. At one point, the game started to drop frames during a boss fight and it got so bad that Noctis would run left when I'd press the joystick to the right, he wouldn't regain HP even when I'd hide behind a rock and he wouldn't attack when I'd press the attack button. At first I thought he was confused or something but I didn't see any debuff or anything. Other times, Noctis would stop jumping when I'd press X for no reason at all. They could just be bugs, but I do hope they sort this out before release.

As for the car, tons of people have been telling me "BUT WE KNEW IT WAS ON RAILS AND THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE THE ROAD". Well, yeah. I get you. But that doesn't change the fact it feels like a very cheap/ancient way to drive a car in a blockbuster 2016 title. I'd rather have no car than a halfassed car. It just doesn't feel natural. It feels very sloppy and restricted. I don't get the feeling I'm driving a car. Maybe they'll get it right before the game releases. Who knows. I'm just commenting on what I played right now and I didn't like it that much.

Now, I know I'm painting a very grim picture of Final Fantasy XV but please note that most of my complaints are related to the technical side of the game. I actually enjoyed the new combat system a lot. It felt fluid, more natural and... fun. I understood it right away, unlike Duscae. I can't speak much about the story, but I liked what I saw for now. And honestly, if the gameplay & story end up being good, I won't mind the technical side of things as much. But if you're playing a short demo, you'll notice the flaws a lot more. And in this case, as much as I tried, I couldn't ignore the disappointing graphics.

Thanks for clearing things up, Dawg.

Mifec

PM me all the spoilers when you have time pupper.

Bladenic

I wonder if the game will have such technical issues, how much the reviewers will knock them. Every western RPG I've played, mainly from Bioware, have ridiculous amounts of technical issues, yet their scores are almost never affected. Interested to see if there will be a double standard (unless of course these 2 months will drastically improve the game).

nOoblet16

Car being on rails is a bugger.
I imagined driving around Duscae in that car.

I'm gonna love this game but my god, the sacrifices... and this was their target render?

HDLfz7K.jpg

vPDiDNj.jpg

That was full CG, not even engine assets.
Except for the character models which were ported over from the Ebony engine (the current models are actually better) everything was proper CG.

But still your picture is out of context, being an open world game it can't look top notch everywhere. There are areas where it looks close, I think the only drawback is the IQ lots of aliasing and poor texture filtering.
There is another minor issue with the way they handle LOD, lower LOD foliage for example seem worse than they are, they look like a painted texture since the colouring is very simple (it's like they use only one single tone of a colour) which makes outdoor scenes quite bland.

Thanks for your honest impressions. I'll admit, I find it very hard to believe the game was downgraded from Duscae. Actually, I am surprised the haven't been able to properly clean it up. In Duscae the IQ was the biggest issues, I thought aspectes of the actual modelling and lighting looked more impressive than equivalent rpgs (i.e., Witcher 3). Disappointed if it really did take a hit though. I will be pissed.

I wonder if the game will have such technical issues, how much the reviewers will knock them. Every western RPG I've played, mainly from Bioware, have ridiculous amounts of technical issues, yet their scores are almost never affected. Interested to see if there will be a double standard (unless of course these 2 months will drastically improve the game).

Not to mention The Elder Scrolls. Classical buggy CRPG that everyone loves anyway.

I'm glad for all the possitive previews the game is getting.

jackal27

Banned
Palabragrís;214023702 said:
Not to mention The Elder Scrolls. Classical buggy CRPG that everyone loves anyway.

I'm glad for all the possitive previews the game is getting.

Doesn't make it acceptable. That glitchiness is usually why I steer clear of a lot of AAA western games, particularly open world ones. Would be a shame to Final Fantasy in the same boat.

Please leave my name out of Final Fantasy threads just because I disagree with you on XV.

Thanks.

aOgM9Z2.gif
Gif collection shalackin yo.

On topic, it seems that everyones actually fuckin with the gameplay, think they need to delay it to 2017 tho bc if you're pushing it already past Black Friday you're already screwing yourself

Thanks Dawgu. Was waiting for this. Tech aside, good to hear the combat is more enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom