• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Hands-On Demo (Chapter 0-3) Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

chozen

I'm gonna love this game but my god, the sacrifices... and this was their target render?

HDLfz7K.jpg

vPDiDNj.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Comparing a target render vs. the XB1 version of the game isn't really fair... especially when that version seems to be missing things the PS4 one has. And even then, that target render was made with CG... game was never going to look that good.

Carn82

I read a preview that said that the car pretty much is on rails, so that makes sense. Its not for free roaming and has limited functionality (getting from a to b, stopping, take turns, turn around)

chozen

Comparing a target render vs. the XB1 version of the game isn't really fair... especially when that version seems to be missing things the PS4 one has. And even then, that target render was made with CG... game was never going to look that good.

It really does suck that square has to make different SKUs and optimize for two different consoles.

Meanwhile people like Naughty Dog and Santa Monica have all the opportunity to focus and polish on one.

At least the brightside about Neo is that I don't have to rebuy some type of HD Rerelease of XV.

Though, I don't doubt that will come down the line again and again in the future.

It really does suck that square has to make different SKUs and optimize for two different consoles.

Meanwhile people like Naughty Dog and Santa Monica have all the opportunity to focus and polish on one.

At least the brightside about Neo is that I don't have to rebuy some type of HD Rerelease of XV.

Though, I don't doubt that will come down the line again and again in the future.

Remember ND doesn't do PC ports so they can go all in on one platform. But yeah it does suck.

ED Cantu

I'm gonna love this game but my god, the sacrifices... and this was their target render?

HDLfz7K.jpg

Engine sword! how I miss it, and yes I know they have said it's still in the game but we haven't seen Noctis use it in any video for a year or more, I think.
Even the image of old Noctis shows him with his dad's sword instead of his own :(

benzy

Impressions from fellow gaffer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=213989274#post213989274

Yes, sorry. Forgot to mention it as there was a lot of stuff at Square Enix (best booth IMO).

It was solid to me. I didn't play Duscae but I'm aware of the rollercoaster it's been in terms of production, eg. The E3 showing.

I got to play about 15-20 minutes (could've played longer) of that Venetian looking town. Really pretty, lots to do, lots of NPCs to interact with.

I also did some gameplay in a sort of deserty area and that was pretty good too. Combat felt much better than how it looked at E3.

I'll add that the IQ was pretty good in the demo too. As in better than those awful screenshots. No idea what it was running on but we were given PS4 controllers.

chozen

Engine sword! how I miss it, and yes I know they have said it's still in the game but we haven't seen Noctis use it in any video for a year or more, I think.
Even the image of old Noctis shows him with his dad's sword instead of his own :(

Engine sword is the first sword Noctis has when the game starts.

It's a gift from his Dad it says in the description and drains magic elements from enemies.

ZN8qwoS.png

StereoVsn

Remember ND doesn't do PC ports so they can go all in on one platform. But yeah it does suck.
Technically SE didn't HAVE to have multiple versions and could have just released on PS4 and followed up on PC. They wanted to release on Xbone and target those 20-25 mil uses though so here we are.

Whooo impressions sound good? Graphics haven't really been my top concern. More the gameplay and controls.

And ehhh good to know that the car is essentially on rails. Would have been sorely disappointed if I found out when I had the game in hand.

ED Cantu

Engine sword is the first sword Noctis has when the game starts.

It's a gift from his Dad it says in the description and drains magic elements from enemies.

ZN8qwoS.png

Oh that's cool! I didn't notice it was in the 50 min video, I hope it will still be his main sword for the game and won't get replaced with his dad's

chozen

Oh that's cool! I didn't notice it was in the 50 min video, I hope it will still be his main sword for the game and won't get replaced with his dad's

Tabata said you can carry any weapon you want to the end game, they all serve a purpose and should be upgradeable as we seen Via Cid.

Also like other FF games even XIII you can keep upgrading any of the weapons to the end game, they get name changes and different skins I believe.

Voror

I'm trying to remember but what does recovering the weapons from the tombs do? Do you simply gain that weapon and can equip it or was it a case of it enhancing the Armiger system. Was this all required or would some of these perhaps be optional dungeons?

I'm sort of wondering how that will work for
Regis since it doesn't seem likely he would have a tomb given the circumstances. I'd imagine then that recovering his weapon could be a final thing in the last part of the game.

For real. How much better would this game look and run if it didn't have to accommodate the xbone? What a waste. 😞

chozen

I'm trying to remember but what does recovering the weapons from the tombs do? Do you simply gain that weapon and can equip it or was it a case of it enhancing the Armiger system. Was this all required or would some of these perhaps be optional dungeons?

I'm sort of wondering how that will work for
Regis since it doesn't seem likely he would have a tomb given the circumstances. I'd imagine then that recovering his weapon could be a final thing in the last part of the game.

You can use it as an individual weapon and there are 13 of them, but it takes up 3 mana per hit it also recharges the armiger bar faster than other weapons as well as having a unique warp strike attack, and it also gives you an armiger passive like being able to block bullets.

But yes it also makes more swords fly out of the armiger form when you fight while in the form. The story seems to want us to get all the swords, but I'm not sure if there are optional ones.

DPtheGod

I am curious. Does anyone know how well Type-0 sold on Xbone? I am curious what they are expecting to sell for this on bone. I know they didn't expect much for Type-0, but I'm curious on the data anyway. I know FFXV's sales for Xbone will shit all over Type-0's TOTAL sales, but I'm just curious.

Also, if we get a new trailer for Gamescom, wouldn't it release tomorrow? I thought the actual event started on Thursday.

I am curious. Does anyone know how well Type-0 sold on Xbone? I am curious what they are expecting to sell for this on bone. I know they didn't expect much for Type-0, but I'm curious on the data anyway. I know FFXV's sales for Xbone will shit all over Type-0's TOTAL sales, but I'm just curious.
Mm Idk total sales but I believe the split was like 70/30 in favor of PS4 maybe alil more someone can correct that

Voror

You can use it as an individual weapon and there are 13 of them, but it takes up 3 mana per hit it also recharges the armiger bar faster than other weapons as well as having a unique warp strike attack, and it also gives you an armiger passive like being able to block bullets.

But yes it also makes more swords fly out of the armiger form when you fight while in the form. The story seems to want us to get all the swords, but I'm not sure if there are optional ones.

So it's essentially a special weapon with it's own bonuses but with that drawback with the mana. Curious how viable they are then though perhaps it's a matter of balancing between other weapons.

I am curious now what optional content we have all together as we do know some of it.There are as far as I recall:

Side quests (Kill this, find this, etc.)
Hunts (Kill specific targets, Could be special boss/creatures?)
Dungeons (Not sure on these actually but I presume special rewards upon clearing)

I'm unclear about how those personal skills count. Like Ignis' cooking improving means better quality food and I presume better bonuses. Noctis can fish though I don't know if there is some ultimate goal there like maybe a competition or special fishing rod. Not sure how Prompto's photography matters and don't remember what Gladio did. I think I saw some mention about training to run longer, but can't remember if that's a gradual increase or a temp boost like the food.

Also, was that whole thing on there being the huge summons you fight and then minor ones as optional stuff still in or was that something from the Versus days?

Also, if we get a new trailer for Gamescom, wouldn't it release tomorrow? I thought the actual event started on Thursday.
It sold like complete butts on the X1.

SoulUnison

Banned
So it's essentially a special weapon with it's own bonuses but with that drawback with the mana. Curious how viable they are then though perhaps it's a matter of balancing between other weapons.

I am curious now what optional content we have all together as we do know some of it.There are as far as I recall:

Side quests (Kill this, find this, etc.)
Hunts (Kill specific targets, Could be special boss/creatures?)
Dungeons (Not sure on these actually but I presume special rewards upon clearing)

I'm unclear about how those personal skills count. Like Ignis' cooking improving means better quality food and I presume better bonuses. Noctis can fish though I don't know if there is some ultimate goal there like maybe a competition or special fishing rod. Not sure how Prompto's photography matters and don't remember what Gladio did. I think I saw some mention about training to run longer, but can't remember if that's a gradual increase or a temp boost like the food.

Also, was that whole thing on there being the huge summons you fight and then minor ones as optional stuff still in or was that something from the Versus days?

I bet Noctis' fishing ties into Ignis' cooking.
Noctis can probably fish for seafood dish ingredients that are either unavailable or way more expensive from vendors.

chozen

About summons, I think they said you had to fight every summon you get so a few big ones.

Smaller ones idk how you get but Tabata said there are a few small ones like carbuncle

Arkeband

Banned
I always expected the car to be on rails most of the time, the only real expectation we were given is the ability to stop driving and get out mid-trip.

Which I'm wary of, since that would mean the world would need to be truly seamless instead of large cells separated by (hidden) loading screens you use the car to travel between.

About summons, I think they said you had to fight every summon you get so a few big ones.

Smaller ones idk how you get but Tabata said there are a few small ones like carbuncle

About Carbuncle, the only thing you carry from Platinum to the main game is the name you gave it, right?

SilentRob

I played the Gamescom demo today and will write a bigger post soon, but I just want to say: Jesus Christ, this game is ugly as sin when you actually run around the open world. Not compared to a target render, just as an open world game running on PS4. The environments in the open world look like they belong to a game from 8 years ago. I was honestly floored by how bad it looked even compared to the Duscae Demo.

Also, you cant drive the car. Its on rails. You can steer a liiiiiittle to the left and the right, but you cant turn yourself or leave the road. Even speed is applied automatically.

benzy

I played the Gamescom demo today and will write a bigger post soon, but I just want to say: Jesus Christ, this game is ugly as sin when you actually run around the open world. Not compared to a target render, just as an open world game running on PS4. The environments in the open world look like they belong to a game from 8 years ago. I was honestly floored by how bad it looked even compared to the Duscae Demo.

Also, you cant drive the car. Its on rails. You can steer a liiiiiittle to the left and the right, but you cant turn yourself or leave the road. Even speed is applied automatically.

Are you sure this wasn't in the autopilot mode with the guy in glasses at the wheel?

sappyday

Was Ignis driving or Noct?

Curious what looked so bad.

Also let us know what you think of the latest combat please!

TheTux

HDLfz7K.jpg

vPDiDNj.jpg

I don't know much about game engines but I'm not sure it is fair to compare indoor vs outdor

Edit: but yes, it looks worse (as expected vs target render).

SilentRob

Are you sure this wasn't in the autopilot mode with the guy in glasses at the wheel?

Was Ignis driving or Noct?

Yes, it was manual control, Noct was driving. You actually can't choose automatic driving at the beginning, it only get's unlocked after you arrive at your first destination. In Automatic Mode you don't have any input whatsoever and a kind of "loading bar" is displayed at the top of the screen, showing you how long it's going to take. Can't skip it though.

Manual Mode is utter nonsense and it's kinda crazy it's even called that with how little input you actually have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom