• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griss

About 10 hours until the digital preload unlocks... only 28GB of 52 downloaded after 12 hours so far. Go PS4! You must make it in time! (It won't make it...)

While it says there's enough data to start already, I'm always wary of starting a game if the whole thing isn't downloaded for fear of hitting an in-game wall or missing a cutscene or something.

Looking forward to the review thread. Also looking forward to the reveal of Final Fantasy 16, lol. It has been 10 years since the reveal of a new mainline final fantasy... that's incredible. (I'm not counting the FFXIV reveal in 2009 as it's an MMO, and even then that's still 7 years ago.)

I left it on standby and went to take a bath. Afterwards I went to check how the download was coming along and the console was turned off. Tried turning it on and it never got past the blue booting light and now it won't even boot up safe mode.

10 years. 10 long years.

TghktaI.gif

A thunderstorm raged last night while my PS4 was in rest mode downloading the game. Usually I'd turn it off and unplug it as we commonly get power outages. This time I rolled the dice... woke up this morning and found out my dice roll was good.

Hard luck, friend.

Shredderi

Apparently someone is streaming the game's cutscenes. Watching now to see if any of the story stuff can rouse up any interest in me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As someone 30ish hours in, this is the most accurate post in the thread, IMO. The people comparing it to XCX are spot-on, too.
Oh shit, that is terrible news. I ended up hating Xenoblade X. Just a boring, pointless game with beautiful visuals.

It seems like so much of what was shown even just a couple years ago didn't make the cut here. Like they had to take a chainsaw to the experience just to ship the game.

Is there even anything in there that looks different from the open countryside they've been showing? I'm getting concerned that it's just a one note experience with no variety.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I left it on standby and went to take a bath. Afterwards I went to check how the download was coming along and the console was turned off. Tried turning it on and it never got past the blue booting light and now it won't even boot up safe mode.

10 years. 10 long years.

TghktaI.gif
It's a sign for you to get a PRO

I'm sorry :(

Philippo

WHY IS SCHREIER HYPING UP HIS REVIEW AND WHATS WITH ALL THOSE SMILEYS IS HE HAPPY ABOUT THE GAME OR IS HE HAPPY ABOUT BRINGING DESPAIR DOWN TO US I DONT GET IT

WHY IS SCHREIER HYPING UP HIS REVIEW AND WHATS WITH ALL THOSE SMILEYS IS HE HAPPY ABOUT THE GAME OR IS HE HAPPY ABOUT BRINGING DESPAIR DOWN TO US I DONT GET IT

Obligatory Somemenjustwanttowatchtheworldburn

Oh shit, that is terrible news. I ended up hating Xenoblade X. Just a boring, pointless game with beautiful visuals.

It seems like so much of what was shown even just a couple years ago didn't make the cut here. Like they had to take a chainsaw to the experience just to ship the game.

If you like/love XCX -> you'll love this.

If you hate XCX -> you might like this

It's different enough that you could still really like this game if you hated XCX, but it doesn't bode well.

zkorejo

IDK why so many people are saying 80 or 70. If DA: Inquisition can pull a 89, this can surely pull a 85-86 in my opinion. This game is seriously good.

Zedark

Yes, yes! Let the anxiety flow through you!

press sneak is toying with us, damn him!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
IDK why so many people are saying 80 or 70. If DA: Inquisition can pull a 89, this can surely pull a 85-86 in my opinion. This game is seriously good.
If FFXIII can score 83, the sky's the limit.

10 years. 10 long years.

TghktaI.gif

This happened to me with another game as well. Try unplugging it from the power and holding down the power button for 30 seconds before plugging it back in and turning it on.

It's different from safe mode and it was the only way I could get my PS4 to turn back on after the crash. Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I didn't know about this until recently.

eliochip

This game reminds me of FFXIII and Xenoblade Chronicles. Both the good parts and the bad.

Story so far is dumb. Characters aren't very interesting (visually and personality-wise). Dialogue is painful at times. The combat is weird, kind of a mixed bag.

The music is alright though. It is a very chill relaxing RPG game. A contrast to FFXIII where you're constantly on the run. Again, its a good thing sometimes but can also be quite boring.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to tell good sidequests from pointless ones? After 5 totally pointless ones in a row I feel like never taking another one again. Most of them hardly even have two lines of dialogue in them

If FFXIII can score 83, the sky's the limit.

People really need to stop thinking about reviews this way

So what you're saying is this is the jrpg mgsv. I can't take another mgsv. I might jump out my window if it's that bad.

No. The MGS V comparison is bullshit.

Griss

As someone 30ish hours in, this is the most accurate post in the thread, IMO. The people comparing it to XCX are spot-on, too.

No, don't say this to me :(

I hated so much of XCX, and I really wanted to love it. I love open world RPGs, after all. But I can't even imagine FFXV being that bad. On a narrative level at least, there's no way they could fail to vastly surpass that game, surely. And I don't know if you get to fly in FFXV (don't spoil please) but it was the flight module that ruined XCX entirely so there's a good chance that FFXV will avoid that issue.

And people are saying that the battle system in FFXV is good, whereas in XCX it was appalling... surely this game must be better than that one.

Agreed.

Jarmel

Banned
So do we have detailed patch notes for 1.2? Want to know the exact changes before I possibly install it and lose that health regen.

No, don't say this to me :(

I hated so much of XCX, and I really wanted to love it. I love open world RPGs, after all. But I can't even imagine FFXV being that bad. On a narrative level at least, there's no way they could fail to vastly surpass that game, surely. And I don't know if you get to fly in FFXV (don't spoil please) but it was the flight module that ruined XCX entirely so there's a good chance that FFXV will avoid that issue.

And people are saying that the battle system in FFXV is good, whereas in XCX it was appalling... surely this game must be better than that one.
Agreed.
Fuck.

Praying for good reviews. Praying for not being like the shit that is XCX and more like XC.
Don't despair guys, I also said:

It's different enough that you could still really like this game if you hated XCX, but it doesn't bode well.

It depends on why you hated XCX.

desu

Is there even anything in there that looks different from the open countryside they've been showing? I'm getting concerned that it's just a one note experience with no variety.

At least XB X was fun :p, sorry!

A lot didn't make the cut, I really laughed about your "Like they had to take a chainsaw to the experience just to ship the game." because hats pretty much how the game feels.

And no, if you've seen the starting area and Duscae you have seen mostly everything (visually), there aren't really other areas that look much different. And if you've been following the game then you'll most likely have seen most of what it has to offer minus a few set pieces ... imho pretty dissapointing.

Z3M0G

Why thank you.

I'm somewhere in the middle, so I'll likely like this game.

The good thing is, that I'm 40+ hours into XCX and still don't have my skell... I'm trying to finish that series of BS missions now. The structure of that game is such shit.

What's great, is that XV would be long over by that much play time... I'd be into the optional side stuff if I kept playing that long. So that is pretty great.

Bladenic

Western RPGs and JRPGs have different metrics by western reviewers. It's why Western RPGs can score highly despite often having a house sized list of technical issues, bugs, glitches, etc. if a JRPG has even a few technical issues, -2 automatically

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Welp, it's finally happening huh!?????

Jarmel

Banned
XCX is a better game than this but FFXV does beat it in a few areas. I feel like the combat in XCX is more refined and thought out but less fun than the stuff in XV.

Joqu

I'm sorry guys, Final Fantasy XV is a failure to me if it doesn't score more than a 100 on metacritic. No exceptions.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Western RPGs and JRPGs have different metrics by western reviewers. It's why Western RPGs can score highly despite often having a house sized list of technical issues, bugs, glitches, etc. if a JRPG has even a few technical issues, -2 automatically

Some serious math involved in scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom