• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Western RPGs and JRPGs have different metrics by western reviewers. It's why Western RPGs can score highly despite often having a house sized list of technical issues, bugs, glitches, etc. if a JRPG has even a few technical issues, -2 automatically

That's complete and utter horseshit. Show me the receipts.

XCX is a better game than this but FFXV does beat it in a few areas. I feel like the combat in XCX is more refined and thought out but less fun than the stuff in XV.

I prefer a lot of things in FF15 over how they are in XCX and vice versa. I'd personally say it's a tie but before panicking please keep in mind I adored XCX.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Western RPGs and JRPGs have different metrics by western reviewers. It's why Western RPGs can score highly despite often having a house sized list of technical issues, bugs, glitches, etc. if a JRPG has even a few technical issues, -2 automatically
I don't know if it's that simple.

...but FFXV *DOES* have an insanely annoying technical problem with bad frame pacing. I cannot overstate how frustrating that is for me. It's impossible to ignore.

That said, it is still light years beyond something like Fallout 4 which should have been slammed into the ground for the technical piece of garbage it is. What a horribly made game, from a technical standpoint.

Griss

Don't despair guys, I also said:

It depends on why you hated XCX.

Some reasons:
1. The narrative, especially the silent protag. I can't handle silent protags.
2. The battle system, which was utterly auto-pilot, and where different enemies didn't require different tactics until you reached post-game.
3. The proliferation of so many different sub-systems you had to interface with in order to have a decent character.
4. The amount of fast-travel fetch quests.
5. The soundtrack.
6. The fact that the most interesting thing about the game was the topology of this huge world and discovering places and the flight module stripped the game of that by making everything accessible immediately and made the world small again.
7. A post-game entirely based around grinding.

What I loved about it.
1. Running around the massive open world at the start of the game, fighting enemies I couldn't beat and just getting lost.

If you took that last point and added an engaging story, good battle system and good soundtrack I'd be satisfied.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry guys, Final Fantasy XV is a failure to me if it doesn't score more than a 100 on metacritic. No exceptions.

you forgot to add metacritic that it needs to hit a 100 for both critics and user ratings.
Anything less is not worthy being called the "final fantasy"

Ran rp

kujudk.gif

One huge draw of the XC/X games was the exploration and both games are imho far beyond 15.

XCX was built around exploration and the narrative really suffered because of it.

FF15 strikes a nice balance.

...but FFXV *DOES* have an insanely annoying technical problem with bad frame pacing. I cannot overstate how frustrating that is for me. It's impossible to ignore.

That said, it is still light years beyond something like Fallout 4 which should have been slammed into the ground for the technical piece of garbage it is. What a horribly made game, from a technical standpoint.

It really hasn't bothered me much at all. But yeah, games like Fallout 4 and Deus Ex: MD should have been fucking slaughtered for launching the way they did (on PS4).

ekim

[x] coffee
[x] imaginary popcorn
[x] 60€ in case the game is for me
[ ] any idea how the game will perform

in all honesty I didn't really follow any previews or footage other than the reveal trailer and the platinum demo on XB1 (which ran like hot garbage). From the impressions I did read it could be a MC score of 60 or 90 or anywhere inbetween.

dc89

If you care enough to invest in the story.

Yeah, you definitely should watch both. Start with Brotherhood.

They're still appropriate to watch even way later into the game. If you feel like watching them, sure, go for it!

Yeah, some of the interactions between the main cast are improved with the context Brotherhood provides.

And watching Kingslaive helps with the messy plot, but just a little bit. Is ab awful movie, though.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

When does the review thread go live and who is posting it?

I played this game for the better part of six or seven hours straight yesterday in preparation for our review-in-progress, and not only did I not want to stop playing when I finally had to go to sleep, all I've been able to think about since is going back in and playing more.

I'd say that's a pretty good sign. :)

Kyoufu

Comparisons with Xenoblade Chronicles X? Interest rising.

The opposite for me.

Xenoblade X is one of my biggest disappointments this gen. How they went from the masterpiece that was the original to that I will never know. Hated almost everything about the game.

mellow

Is there any way to tell good sidequests from pointless ones? After 5 totally pointless ones in a row I feel like never taking another one again. Most of them hardly even have two lines of dialogue in them

do they ever end at least is what I want to know or are they like the radiant system in Fallout 4, which I foolishly sunk like 8 hours into at the start of the game thinking there was a pay off

dark10x

Is ANYTHING from the 2013 trailer in the game? Like, even one section of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUSXub_ypU

XCX was built around exploration and the narrative really suffered because of it.

FF15 strikes a nice balance.

It really hasn't bothered me much at all. But yeah, games like Fallout 4 and Deus Ex: MD should have been fucking slaughtered for launching the way they did (on PS4).
Mankind Divided? Hmm...what issues did you run into? I felt that it was a moderately unpolished game but not even in the same universe as Fallout 4. At least, my experience with it was pretty positive on PS4. I've found the frame pacing problems in XV to be even more annoying, though, since the game never actually feels smooth to play.

Bladenic

My post wasn't serious about the scoring.

That said I do think the dichotomy exists but it's hard to know in what capacity (and I don't want to go check tons of reviews and scores for various games since I'm not trying to prove a point since that point doesn't really matter anyway).

I'm still confused after reading the FFXV Pro thread- doese FFXV have frame pacing issues on the Pro if playing in Lite mode?

Elven_Star

Really stupid question.

Is there any way to trick the PS4 to download the patch before Amazon sends me the game on Tuesday. ?

The reason i ask, is my Internet as been dial-up tier during the evenings lately. So i can't be dealing with that shit.

Thanks. And sorry again for wasting everybody's time.

There is a way to download the files via your regular download manager. You're gonna need a program called PSX Download Helper to transfer them to your PS4. The tricky part is getting the patch link.

Ahh. I see.

Thanks.

Here are the links (3 parts) in case you still want them:
http://gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.n...SA01633_00-FINALFANTASYXV00-A0102-V0100_0.pkg
http://gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.n...SA01633_00-FINALFANTASYXV00-A0102-V0100_1.pkg
http://gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.n...SA01633_00-FINALFANTASYXV00-A0102-V0100_2.pkg

These are for the region 1/US version.

Strings

The XCX comparison is nonsense, speaking as someone with over 100 hours in that game, and just over 40 in this one.

Like, yeah, you run around an open world in both, but otherwise they're completely different in terms of combat, presentation, etc.

Some reasons:
1. The narrative, especially the silent protag. I can't handle silent protags.
2. The battle system, which was utterly auto-pilot, and where different enemies didn't require different tactics until you reached post-game.
3. The proliferation of so many different sub-systems you had to interface with in order to have a decent character.
4. The amount of fast-travel fetch quests.
5. The soundtrack.
6. The fact that the most interesting thing about the game was the topology of this huge world and discovering places and the flight module stripped the game of that by making everything accessible immediately and made the world small again.
7. A post-game entirely based around grinding.

What I loved about it.
1. Running around the massive open world at the start of the game, fighting enemies I couldn't beat and just getting lost.

If you took that last point and added an engaging story, good battle system and good soundtrack I'd be satisfied.

Okay, your negatives compared to FF15:

1) fixed
2) It's easy but a lot of fun here
3) a bit overcomplicated here, but thankfully not in the same league as XCX
4) fetch quest/monster hunts galore here too
5) FF 15 OST is awesome and you have every other FF OST in-game to boot
6) Not a problem here for obvious reasons
7) Can't tell you yet

WTF IS THIS

It's bait :)

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Is ANYTHING from the 2013 trailer in the game? Like, even one section of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUSXub_ypU

Mankind Divided? Hmm...what issues did you run into? I felt that it was a moderately unpolished game but not even in the same universe as Fallout 4. At least, my experience with it was pretty positive on PS4. I've found the frame pacing problems in XV to be even more annoying, though, since the game never actually feels smooth to play.

Not really no. Most of the things in the trailer are absent, the few that are have changed enough to not really resemble it anymore

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The opposite for me.

Xenoblade X is one of my biggest disappointments this gen. How they went from the masterpiece that was the original to that I will never know. Hated almost everything about the game.

I'd had a sneaking suspicion XCX was on-track to become what it is, so I followed the import thread to confirm it.

I ended up saving ~$300. (Didn't buy the Wii U as a result.) It's what taught me to trust my gut on these things (while doing the requisite legwork to actually confirm them before outright assuming, of course).

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So open world JRPG is now "XCX clone. . ." This forum never fails to deliver.

I seriously don't see how anyone can have this impression with the amount of preview content/demos that are out there. If the suggestion is that the side quests are just a means of exploring the world, and there are massive monsters to find and kill, well OK sure. . .that's not an XCX thing, that's been in FF for how long now?

dark10x

I'm still confused after reading the FFXV Pro thread- doese FFXV have frame pacing issues on the Pro if playing in Lite mode?
Yeah. It's reduced but still a problem in all modes.

Not really no. Most of the things in the trailer are absent, the few that are have changed enough to not really resemble it anymore
Is there even anything LIKE that? Big events that happen in the game in places that aren't just generic countryside?

I'm concerned that all of the story is going to be told in "MMO"-like ways since it doesn't exactly start strong.

jb1234

I'd had a sneaking suspicion XCX was on-track to become what it is, so I followed the import thread to confirm it.

I ended up saving ~$300. (Didn't buy the Wii U as a result.) It's what taught me to trust my gut on these things (while doing the requisite legwork to actually confirm them before outright assuming, of course).

Boooooooooooo. There's other reasons to have bought a Wii U, like Mario 3D World and Tropical Freeze (among others).

Glad you agree, even though I personally disagree with most of your gripes :)

I enjoy the characters (except the female characters, yikes!), voice acting (Japanese VO though) and most of the writing. Also enjoy the combat much more than Witcher 3's, for example.

Haha I'm really just referring to
Dino with his over the top accent and cheesy, cliches and...Cindy
. I have no real issue with anyone else so far. The dialogue for the main characters is mostly fine and I enjoy it, especially the banter between the bros. The combat is just too chaotic without enough refinement to make it truly enjoyable. TW3's combat though simplistic, and aggravating at times, at least allowed me to plan out my decisions and intentionally execute them. Though I think a lot of the criticism it got does have merit.

Griss

do they ever end at least is what I want to know or are they like the radiant system in Fallout 4, which I foolishly sunk like 8 hours into at the start of the game thinking there was a pay off

I made that exact same mistake with the Minutemen quests in Fallout 4 and the game never fully recovered from that slow start and how angry I was about it. Hours of time wasted on shit procedurally generated quests.

XCX also had a board where you'd get quests that were just total shite, but at least they were quite obviously just 'filler tasks'. Really hoping FFXV doesn't have that kind of content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom