• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Come on people, there is no way in hell that this game will review lower than Xenoblade X.

I also disagree a bit that the game is similar to Xenoblade X... because it actually looks and feels more in tune with Xenoblade Chronicles =P
Please don't compare it to Xenoblade Chronicles. Chronicles fucking wipes the floor with this game on almost all levels except technical.
The Witcher 3 sets the gold standard on open world games this gen.
Ah right. Forgot about that.

LotusHD

Banned
Ignoring those dreadful XCX comparisons...

Amazon slightly dicked me over. Was supposed to be getting the game tomorrow for $30. Now I'm getting it tomorrow for...$36. Suddenly the card I used has to be updated and submitted again, despite absolutely nothing changing on my end, didn't expire or anything. So as thanks for preordering months in advance (I did it for the savings!), it would've been delivered on Thursday instead. Only thing she could do for me is bump it to One-day shipping instead. Was...irked to say the least, but since I already got it for pretty cheap, I suppose an extra $6 is better than waiting two days. I'm cheap, but not that cheap. :p

I guess Amazon had to be annoying for me at some point.
inb4 the same thing manages to happen with BOTW

zkorejo

That might be true just due to lack of competition. I mean what other games would compare that have come out on the PS4/Xbone?

The Witcher 3?.. IMO that game has the best open world. Even if you dont count Skellige Isles, Velen and Novigrad is a huge map and it all looks amazing.

FFXV world is great.. but calling it a best of the current gen is a bit too much.

yunbuns

That might be true just due to lack of competition. I mean what other games would compare that have come out on the PS4/Xbone?

I'm neutral on this but I think a lot of people would argue that TW3 has the best open world.

whats up with all the doom and gloom?

This game finally releasing is the end of the era for some, some want this game to be a return to form for FF, some are disappointed it's not Versus anymore, etc, etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How does the game run overall when compared to Bloodborne?
So far I've only played on the Pro but, from a very short test, it's like the demo.

The higher quality mode feels like Bloodborne with severe frame pacing issues all the time.

The lite mode, however, is much smoother overall but still runs into issues from time to time.

It really never feels as smooth as if it should, though.

Witcher 3, MGSV, DA:Inquisition, just to say some of them.

Not saying that they have a a better open world than FFXV though, I haven't played it yet (yes, some of us don't have the game yet lol), but I find it difficult to be better than Witcher 3 tbh.

Astral Dog

XCX 'clone' is obviously nonsense, but I feel the comparison is pretty apt after 20+ hours of playing FF15 and 100+ hours of XCX.

There are some notable differences, but if you want another game as a point of reference, it's the most accurate comparison to make.
Jesus, after playing Xenoblade X that is NOT the comparison i expected to hear from FFXV, and X is not bad at all, just not something to look forward in an RPG, that one seems like it went too far in a direction i dont care for, despite the gorgeous world.

Ignoring those dreadful XCX comparisons...

Amazon slightly dicked me over. Was supposed to be getting the game tomorrow for $30. Now I'm getting it tomorrow for...$36. Suddenly the card I used has to be updated and submitted again, but as thanks for preordering months in advance, it would've been delivered on Thursday instead. Only thing she could do for me is bump it to One-day shipping instead. Was...irked to say the least, but since I already got it for pretty cheap, I suppose an extra $6 is better than waiting two days. I'm cheap, but not that cheap. :p

I guess Amazon had to be annoying for me at some point.
inb4 the same thing manages to happen with BOTW

Why would you want to ignore them?

Come on people, there is no way in hell that this game will review lower than Xenoblade X.

I also disagree a bit that the game is similar to Xenoblade X... because it actually looks and feels more in tune with Xenoblade Chronicles =P

That's fair, but FF15 has more story issues than that game.

kurahador

HEKemoi.gif

valkyre

So, now Gaf is going to engage the "ridiculous posting spree phase, where it is absolutely irrelevant if you want to post something, because likely, by the time your page refreshes there will be another 50 posts after yours, so fuck it" , mode? XD

Jarmel

Banned
Witcher 3, MGSV, DA:Inquisition, just to say some of them.

Not saying that they have a a better open world than FFXV though, I haven't played it yet (yes, some of us don't have the game yet lol), but I find it difficult to be better than Witcher 3 tbh.
This is better than MGSV in regards to the open world itself. Gameplay mechanics is a different argument. I would say it's also better than what I've played of Inquisition.

Altairre

So, now Gaf is going to engage the "ridiculous posting spree phase, where it is absolutely irrelevant if you want to post something, because likely, by the time your page refreshes there will be another 50 posts after yours, so fuck it" , mode? XD

Pretty much.

Z3M0G

What do you dislike about it apart from the time you invested in it without getting a Skell?

- how the party system works (you need to constantly re-aquire party members from their fixed locations in the city, sometimes they don't appear)
- "checklist" style exploration, seeking out the "waypoints" on the map, which can be satisfying, and this in turn unlocks more side-quests which...
- ...I still don't really understand how side-quests work I guess, or I didn't see a point to paying attention. I guess they appear in town once you "unclock" their grid location on the map by acquiring the nearby waypoint
- combat is "OK" at best... MMO style combat. Better than the first XC though, I'll give it that.
- skill system is way over-bloated. I don't know if I"m using all the systems to my disposal. I need to constantly remind myself that there are points to spend on skills, etc. Too many skills to manage as well. Once my action bar got full, I basically ignored all new skills after that...
- city is too large for its own good, but it's the only one in the game so I guess it needs to be. Getting around the city is confusing, even after 40+ hours.
- I have a sidequest that ends in a boss battle which now makes a large area in the desert continent non-accessible to me... the boss is just sitting there and agros me from a far distance, and I can't even scratch him.
- The individual continents have cool set-piece locations and large structures to look at, but they are just there to look at. And I'm getting quite bored of the lower 3 continents... I need to see something new SOON.

Edit: Also I generally dislike Open World games. I lost direction and interest very quickly. I still don't have Trevor in GTAV, for example. I played RDR for maybe an hour. MGSV I tolerated because it was MGS but only until the end of Chapter 1 which I thought was the end of the game...

LotusHD

Banned
Why would you want to ignore them?

Nah I'm just saying, people saying that others would like this game because it's like XCX doesn't make me want to play it more. That game was completely uninteresting to me. I guess I get why they make the comparison, but yea eww. And at either rate, FFXV's combat actually interests me, so yea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom