• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
How the f do I prepare for this game? Just watch kingsglave?

Watching Kingsglaive first is highly recommended. It's got a mixed reception (personally, I like it; some folks abhor it) but it is a great primer because the game isn't so sterling at setting the table narratively.

Brotherhood also comes recommended. It's just a neat look into the cast ahead of the game. It can be charming. And it is free on YouTube.

EDIT: beaten like crazy

Falk

that puzzling face
Chapter 13 is actually pretty cool.

Between:

(edit: Actual tagged spoilers here. Just in case)

being about royalty who also happens to be an oracle and her ability to commune with summons, highly divisive

being a glorified on-rails corridor

being divisive as to reception

I'm not sure if this is commentary on the chapters in FFXV or commentary of the entries in the franchise anymore.

is defined by epic boss fight against a summon

seems well received by people playing it for the full context, not so much people watching just the ending

This might feel premature for now but I feel confident in saying that this is going to be the best post-game in any FF.

I guess it would boil down to whether you enjoy the combat loop. I've been saying even from its nascent iteration in Episode Duscae that unlike many JRPGs where combat was a means to an end, whether grinding levels, loot, randoms in dungeons or advancing the story, XV's combat is something you actively want to do because you can pull off a bunch of cool moves and feel like a badass, and there's always something you could have done better.

Having a great foundation makes for great postgame.

So I'm at chapter 13... just so I'm sure, everything that happens in the story is set in stone right?

Like there are no conditions that will lead to a different outcome?

Between:

being about royalty who also happens to be an oracle and her ability to commune with summons, highly divisive

I'm not sure if this is commentary on the chapters in FFXV or commentary of the entries in the franchise anymore.

seems well received by people playing it for the full context, not so much people watching just the ending

holy shit

Socivol

So considering all the trouble development and such the game sounds like its turn out good.

So far it's my favorite Final Fantasy since X. I absolutely hate XII (shitty story and shitty combat to me) I liked XIII but this one is a lot more fun and the characters are some of the best. I seriously LOVE Prompto.

Loudninja

So far it's my favorite Final Fantasy since X. I absolutely hate XII (shitty story and shitty combat to me) I liked XIII but this one is a lot more fun and the characters are some of the best. I seriously LOVE Prompto.
This is excellent to hear about the characters.

artsi

So considering all the trouble development and such the game sounds like its turn out good.

I think the troubles pretty much limit themselves to the story / world anyway, having all the Versus baggage they had to use some way.

Technically (engine) and gameplay-wise Tabata and team could pretty much start from the beginning when he took over, and those seem to be very solid.

theofficefan99

So the guy who apparently hears from actual reviewers is claiming that there'll be reviews in the 9's? If so, that's great to hear. Also, many more positive impressions today. Super excited.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Between:

I guess it would boil down to whether you enjoy the combat loop. I've been saying even from its nascent iteration in Episode Duscae that unlike many JRPGs where combat was a means to an end, whether grinding levels, loot, randoms in dungeons or advancing the story, XV's combat is something you actively want to do because you can pull off a bunch of cool moves and feel like a badass, and there's always something you could have done better.

Having a great foundation makes for great postgame.

that's some good reading falk :D
『Inaba Resident』;225466289 said:
holy shit

exactly what I said while reading it lol

Is the Xbox one version any worse than the PS4 version? The font is a little hard on my eyes and the Xbox one is closer to the tv in the main room.

Tyaren

Let's have some purdy, atmospherical Duscae shots to make the wait for everyone even longer. :3

30439837103_0a3927717d_o.png

31247322865_a476011c94_o.png

31247308965_3b50c26217_o.png

31247317495_06b9b98e2a_o.png

30426080544_8205763f0c_o.png

(PS4 Pro HQ version)

Falk

that puzzling face
Technically (engine) and gameplay-wise Tabata and team could pretty much start from the beginning when he took over, and those seem to be very solid.

I think that's still selling the concepts in Versus short.

The combat works because of who Noctis is and what his powers are, which are very much intrinsic to the original character design.

Tyaren

Dude!!! Stop selling me on the Pro T_T

They look so good. Better the base PS4, which is beautiful in its own way.

Though they f***** up the reflections in HQ Pro mode once you come near the water. It looks really bad, to be honest. I wonder why no one said anything about that when I posted the comparisons yesterday.

artsi

I think that's still selling the concepts in Versus short.

The combat works because of who Noctis is and what his powers are, which are very much intrinsic to the original character design.

Yeah of course. Not saying Versus history doesn't have any value, but it must have brought some challenges to developing the story for XV that's now a single game instead of trilogy.

Though they f***** up the reflections in HQ Pro mode once you come near the water. It looks really bad, to be honest. I wonder why no one said anything about that when I posted the comparisons yesterday.
The reflections are fucked on every version on console, I can confirm as much. Even on the base PS4, they are glitched out. Something weird is going with them.

So I played nearly 4 hours, still in Chapter 1 and I'm not really gonna say anything different than what everyone else said. I want to point out 2 things though.

Number 1 this game is one of those games that once you put it down and shut the system off, you wanna immediately turn it back on and jump in again. It just draws you in, and you wanna get back to it as soon as possible.

Number 2 the story is absolutely nonexistent so far. If I never watched Kingsglaive or Brotherhood I would have no context story wise, it's a really poor job with awkwardly directed cutscenes that are few and far between. It really is a shame because if they provided any sort of backstory it would help out the game greatly. I really do hope it picks up at some point.

Socivol

So I played nearly 4 hours, still in Chapter 1 and I'm not really gonna say anything different than what everyone else said. I want to point out 2 things though.

Number 1 this game is one of those games that once you put it down and shut the system off, you wanna immediately turn it back on and jump in again. It just draws you in, and you wanna get back to it as soon as possible.

Number 2 the story is absolutely nonexistent so far. If I never watched Kingsglaive or Brotherhood I would have no context story wise, it's a really poor job with awkwardly directed cutscenes that are few and far between. It really is a shame because if they provided any sort of backstory it would help out the game greatly. I really do hope it picks up at some point.

The biggest miss of the game was removing that Insomnia invasion. They should have just limited to specific areas and gone that route. The new opening lacks weight, urgency, and context. By far my biggest disappointment thus far.

That's so true. First game that I played on the PS4 continuously for 10 hours straight.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm up to Chapter 6 and the story is complete garbage so far. I actually think I prefer the story in XIII as at least it was trying and had a clear vision. This is just scattershot at best and almost incoherent at worst.

The biggest miss of the game was removing that Insomnia invasion. They should have just limited to specific areas and gone that route. The new opening lacks weight, urgency, and context. By far my biggest disappointment thus far.

Agreed, that whole moment would have framed the story of this game so nicely, as it is now it's incoherent

I apologize if this has been answered and I just skipped over it, but I got my copy in from EBay guy, and it's running amazing -- not sure the patch has been fully applied (I can't buy the mp3 player but I'm not very far yet, still in Judg(e)ment demo territory) and it seems I can't broadcast this via the PS4's natural networks -- is there a workaround that doesn't involve a capture card?

I was looking forward to streaming this for a friend of mine but I may have to wait for the official release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom