• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

I agree with the above sentiments about the Insomnia invasion. I think the upper management at SE were too focused on getting the game out in 2016. If they had another year, they could have put the fall of Insomnia in the game instead of separating it into a movie.
It's kind of a bummer, because it could have been another FF VII situation, where characters are set up in the beginning, and then the madness happens, and then you escape into wilderness and continue on with the story. It would have changed the mood, but it still could have worked really well.

I have a feeling that they would have put it into the game if they weren't pressured to release it this year. Anyway, I'll still enjoy the game either way. But it definitely is a missed opportunity.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sounds like FF is back on track if several peeps are placing this FF in their top 5.

sappyday

I agree with the above sentiments about the Insomnia invasion. I think the upper management at SE were too focused on getting the game out in 2016. If they had another year, they could have put the fall of Insomnia in the game instead of separating it into a movie.
It's kind of a bummer, because it could have been another FF VII situation, where characters are set up in the beginning, and then the madness happens, and then you escape into wilderness and continue on with the story. It would have changed the mood, but it still could have worked really well.

I have a feeling that they would have put it into the game if they weren't pressured to release it this year. Anyway, I'll still enjoy the game either way. But it definitely is a missed opportunity.

The game has more than a handful of missed opportunities but this was the biggest one for me. I wouldn't even want a full blown invasion, even
something as simple as Noct just driving around Insomnia (in a linear portion just to not stress out the team) picking up the guys from their homes or something. Something small that lets you explore Insomnia and then get set out.
Also just more cutscenes in general.

sappyday

So do I watch brotherhood or kingslaive first before playing the game?
Thanks.
In doesn't matter in what order. Just know that Brotherhood is more of a companion piece of Noctis and his friends, while Kingsglaive is a companion piece on the overall story of XV.

I think it is useless to argue what works better or would have worked better now that the game is out. Just play it and enjoy the game for what it is worth because it is exceptionally crafted game narrative aside.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I really agree that Insomnia was needed for the opening of the game, even if the whole experience had to be more on the linear side.
I think it would have been a fantastic reference for the end of the game, too, as the player would have a stronger association with Insomnia.
I feel like they really needed that Noctis/Luna set-up at the start of the game, along with Noctis' relationship and dynamic with his father. The three pillars of XV seem to be Noctis/bros, Noctis/Luna, and Noctis/Regis.
Noctis' relationship with Luna and Regis is all show and tell with dialogue and flashbacks, whereas the player gets to spend a lot of time with the bros, and builds their own relationship with them as Noctis continues to.
I think putting in some of the subplot with Regis' and Noctis' dynamic from the Ignis episode of Brotherhood at the start of the game would have worked, too, as it was genuinely quite nuanced. Without it, it makes Noctis seem like a bit of shit in the opening of the game. I mean, he's being a brat regardless, but there is a compelling reason for it. I found the Regis/Noctis father/son relationship a hell of a lot more interesting after that episode, so I hope its referenced in game.

In some ways, along with the loss of Insomnia from the game, I feel like Kingsglaive is almost detrimental to characters in XV. Both
Luna and Ravus feel like different characters in Kingsglaive as opposed to the game, with a completely different dynamic
. I know Kingsglaive was made by different people, but so was Brotherhood, and Brotherhood seems to have a good synergy with what I've seen of the game.

Yup, this. I was struggling to explain why I like end-game content over post-game, but thankfully Jeff did it very well. Post-game content feels bizarrely unsatisfying. It shouldn't logically, but I still find that it does.

Making the game open with Insomnia would make a lot sense... Such a pity...They could have the opening chapters be Insomnia and Leide. Would make it mean more to lose the whole city.

Frillen

Sounds like FF is back on track if several peeps are placing this FF in their top 5.

Launch hype does this. Ask those people in five years and it could've dropped out of the top 5 list. Not saying all, but I've seen this happen to tons of games.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Launch hype does this. Ask those people in five years and it could've dropped out of the top 5 list. Not saying all, but I've seen this happen to tons of games.

Well usually when a FF releases it's the opposite: doesn't stand a chance!
Happened with XII, XIII and many other entries.After years titles like XII got a following and are considered good...
Infact FFXV topics started with "utter shit", now after some days leaning to "actually good". I hope keeps improving XD
Even if I insist on this: the problem with FF are his nostalgic fans not the titles themselves. Before or later SE will have to think a proper way to reboot the franchise cause u can't count on most of them anymore and it passionately needs new fans.

. said:
eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFnZS5nb29nbGVhcGlzLmNvbS9hdHRhY2htZW50cy8yMjAyMTI3MjU2NTYxOTA5NzcvMjUyMDMxMTA4NDAzODIyNTkyL0lNR18xMTk5LkpQRyJ9.CKnnCEwH8VfcaitoKaTY8Q_vByU
Am i memeing right gaf

Uploaded another silly glitch video. Again. there are no spoilers (unless you count one of Prompto's techniques as a spoiler). This is only the second glitch in ~25 hours so there's no cause for concern IMO.
However, I have to mention that I did hard crash once, which I guess can count as a third glitch.

So yeah I guess what I'm saying is: save often and have multiple slots.. just in case.

Kyoufu

I thought XII was great and XIII was shit from day one and my opinion of the games haven't changed since.

I'm really eager to find out how I'll feel about XV.

bigol

So, will this be people's GOTY contender?

Which are the other good games of the year?

I think it may be for some, not for everyone, definitely. It's not The Witcher 3 or Bloodborne quality. To me the Last Guardian still has a chance to beat it. I know i am crazy.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I thought XII was great and XIII was shit from day one and my opinion of the games haven't changed since.

I'm really eager to find out how I'll feel about XV.

My luck is that I don't have an "ideal" FF to inspire to, I mostly like them all and for different reasons. Of course my favorites are the usually mentioned FF7 and co. but I still find in FFXIII or XII things done better or differently than FF7 or other entries, thus ending up loving them all for this or that other specific aspect. I'm one of those fans that never got away from a main entry unsatisfied. I honestly like them all.

silva1991

It's very rainy today and i don't like to drive when streets are almost flooded :/

The very close, but very expensive local store better have the game.

I think it may be for some, not for everyone, definitely. It's not The Witcher 3 or Bloodborne quality. To me the Last Guardian still has a chance to beat it. I know i am crazy.

Nothing crazy to think the next Fumito game to be GOTY material if it delivers.

It's the only game that might dethrone Baayonetta 2 and Bloodborne for me.

bigol

It's very rainy today and i don't like to drive when streets are almost flooded :/

The very close, but very expensive local store better have the game.

Nothing crazy to think the next Fumito game to be GOTY material if it delivers.

It's the only game that might dethrone Baayonetta 2 and Bloodborne for me.

That game had a troubled development just like FF XV and usually games with long development cycles are not GOTY material. But i want to believe.

Feep

Banned
Update: tough to get playtime in around the Thanksgiving weekend, but now on Chapter 14. Things have been picking up, and though things are still scattered, it *feels* more like a Final Fantasy title now, narrative wise.

Nothing has topped the incredible height of Chapter 9, though.

Will try to finish on Sunday!

So, will this be people's GOTY contender?
It's definitely in my Top 10.
How do people complete a 40+ hour game in a few days? :(

Kind of wish I could do that when I see the size of my backlog
I put 49 hours in a span of 6 days into this game. I had two 7 hours+ sessions and I don't remember the last time that I put so much time into a game. Maybe in my WOW days. The immersion in this game is great.

Bad idea to play pre patch?
Yes. Camera in busy battles can get in your way and pre patch it's even worse. I had to play about 2 hours pre patch.

-------
Has anyone platinumed the game? I finished the game at 49 hours and did a lot of side stuff already. I guess It's a pretty achievable platinum. The hardest trophy seems to be 80 side quests and I've done 37. I guess I'm gonna continue with this as my main game until I get bored or The Last Guardian comes out. Don't feel like going back to Watch Dogs 2 at all.

Mifec

Well Blood and Wine released this year so it's The Witcher 3 again, if not that then DOOM by far.

The game has more than a handful of missed opportunities but this was the biggest one for me. I wouldn't even want a full blown invasion, even
something as simple as Noct just driving around Insomnia (in a linear portion just to not stress out the team) picking up the guys from their homes or something. Something small that lets you explore Insomnia and then get set out.
Also just more cutscenes in general.

Yea I completely agree with this.

My luck is that I don't have an "ideal" FF to inspire to, I mostly like them all and for different reasons. Of course my favorites are the usually mentioned FF7 and co. but I still find in FFXIII or XII things done better or differently than FF7 or other entries, thus ending up loving them all for this or that other specific aspect. I'm one of those fans that never got away from a main entry unsatisfied. I honestly like them all.

Me and you are the same in this.

Loved FFXIII so really the series didn't exactly lose its way for me (I didn't like the XIII sequels tho so there's that).

Based on all that I've heard...esp as the XV ending is good it is gonna go a long way for me anyway.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Dark Souls 3, The Witness, Uncharted 4, Inside are the ones that pop into my mind.
That excludes addons (Blood and Wine) and Japanese only titles (Persona 5) or more niche stuff(trails of cold steel II <- srsly all ff fans that are in love with the older titles like FF9/6 give trails in the sky a shot >_<).
:-x Not to mention the many western games that become the same gooey entity in my mind that all have been generally well received(Deus Ex MD, Watch Dogs 2, Dishonored 2, Doom, Overwatch, etc)

It's been a good year in my book that said there were a ton of delays as well.

In all seriousness I wish I could be like that. Not being bitter about the decade of 13 and actually being able to enjoy all of them sounds fantastic. Shame that I wasn't wired to be that.

Listening to the XIII soundtrack to fuel my hype.

So unhappy that my order is in my city but Royal Mail don't deliver to my building on Saturday :(

Gonna check CEX later for it. I mean I can always return the unopened XV I get from simplygames

Question for those that have played both Judgement Disc and the full game. Are the tracks on the radio when in the car the only ones, or are there more in the full game.

jb1234

Question for those that have played both Judgement Disc and the full game. Are the tracks on the radio when in the car the only ones, or are there more in the full game.

The demo has a very limited selection. The full game includes selections from every mainline FF (among others).

Alright.. so I just finished Chapter 9..

While I am disappointed in part of what happened.. (I'm not going to elaborate in this thread in case someone accidentally reveals the highlight)... I have to say..
that the Leviathan fight is one of the best fights/set pieces i've seen in my life.. I mean HOLY FUCK that was AMAZING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom