• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbEMX

Media Markt in Germany already sells the special edition. Didn't pick it up, though. 70 bucks. :/

LHS9olf.jpg

pashmilla

Banned
Gasp, the big question... English or French VO? Probably English, so I can get the ~pure experience. Is it less shit than the trailers/Duscae made it seem?

And/reas

Neo Member
I like most of the impressions so far. It wont be a perfect game, that for sure but I like what I see. Who knows, maybe the DLC will make up for some mssing story.
Did any stores in northern Florida brake the street date? I wold like to play the game early. I did not pre order because I will travel next week.

Ferr986

Gasp, the big question... English or French VO? Probably English, so I can get the ~pure experience. Is it less shit than the trailers/Duscae made it seem?

I wish I could choose too, but of course they don't dub games to spanish...

Anyways, native language seems a no brainer to me, unless your english is as good as your french.

The "pure" experience would be the japanese dub anyways, but japanese VA's sucks *goes to hide far from GAF*

pashmilla

Banned
I wish I could choose too, but of course they don't dub games to spanish...

Anyways, native language seems a no brainer to me, unless your english is as good as your french.

The "pure" experience would be the japanese dub anyways, but japanese VA's sucks *goes to hide far from GAF*

I'm bilingual, so it's only a question of which is going to be less unbearable for several tens of hours.

RPGCrazied

Anyone get to play King's Tale? Its like only for gamestop orders, but still like to know if its any good. Surely they will sell it at some point.

Mendrox

Game is fucking fun. Streams didn't do it justice if you can play good yourself. Just some stupid graphic glitches here and there, but overall the game is good. Didn't even realize that it's already almost dark here in Germany D:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
4 days to go...

Jack cw

If anyone is interested: Munich, Germany Saturns sell the Special Edition Steelbook for 47,99 EUR. You get 20% discount on the MSRP.

SDCowboy

Can someone summarize what's wrong with the story? Is it bad or is there not enough of it, or what exactly is wrong with it?

Jarmel

Banned
It is not the story that is bad, it is the execution of it that is lacking.
I disagree strongly at this point. It's not just the execution but rather everything related to the narrative is a mess. There's no strong theme unlike FFXIII with discrimination, characters pop up and 'leave' just as randomly, the dialogue is overly obtuse, and the story is very roundabout in that parts of the story are clearly filler.

Did they just completey gut Nomura's version and had no clue how to put a new story in place?

Can someone summarize what's wrong with the story? Is it bad or non existent, or what exactly is wrong with it?

Cutscenes feel completely out of place in how they're directed and inserted into the game. Characters seemingly act irrational at the point I'm at, in particular Ravus. The Imperial Army side isn't particularly fleshed out. Some of the side characters are somewhat annoying. There's no strong theme to the writing other than 'bro-trip'. Luna is virtually non-existent as a character for a good chunk of the game.

Just picked it up. Store site said that it came with just Masamume, but I also got a code for the FF13 weapon and cooking set. So that's cool.

Cant wait to come home...and wait for the patch to download.

I disagree strongly at this point. It's not just the execution but rather everything related to the narrative is a mess. There's no strong theme unlike FFXIII with discrimination, characters pop up and 'leave' just as randomly, the dialogue is overly obtuse, and the story is very roundabout in that parts of the story are clearly filler.

Did they just completey guy Nomura's version and had no clue how to put a new story in place?
Nomura's vision was not to write a video game novel, lol. Still can't understand why this 'Nomura's vision' stuff is brought up again and again considering the mess that is Kingdom Hearts series.

Simo

That sucks. :( Mine still says Tuesday, so here's hoping. I ordered in March.

Something is off here. I'm giving chat Shit because Amazon has done this before but now I'm being told they can upgrade my shipping so it arrives in Tuesday...hold on a sec here....lol

Nomura's vision was not to write a video game novel, lol. Still can't understand why this 'Nomura's vision' stuff is brought up again and again considering the mess that is Kingdom Hearts series.

To be fair, it is because most of the trailers for Versus were plot heavy, and the plot did seem pretty intriguing. People expected a plot heavy game and what was revealed seemed interesting enough. We didn't really have much to go on on Versus, but what was shown was pretty intriguing.

Dommel

Media Markt in Germany already sells the special edition. Didn't pick it up, though. 70 bucks. :/

LHS9olf.jpg

I got it for €54,99 because of a wrong price sticker. Had my gf pick it up for me so she had no idea, and cashier also didn't catch it.

Is there any way to switch to metric measurement units or are normal people stuck with miles and yards and feet and whatever else insane units that weird system uses?

artsi

Did they just completey gut Nomura's version and had no clue how to put a new story in place?

We don't even know if Nomura's game had a complete story + script from start to finish, or if it was just a loose concept with some nice CG trailers built around it.

Jarmel

Banned
I could give a fuck less about Nomura's vision. However what they put in place is so piss poor I have to imagine Nomura's iteration would have been better as he at least knew what type of story he wanted to tell. Stand By Me (the movie) wasn't just about the friends bonding but also a strong sense of loss that permeated the work. There's little insight into Noctis's loss of family or homeland.

If they wanted to go the atmospheric route then why have these obviously cut-and-pasted cutscenes? The cutscenes feel like they come from a different game as there's little leading into them. So many aspects of the story clash with each other.

It's been gutted lol

To be fair, it is because most of the trailers for Versus were plot heavy, and the plot did seem pretty intriguing. People expected a plot heavy game and what was revealed seemed interesting enough. We didn't really have much to go on on Versus, but what was shown was pretty intriguing.
If you go back and watch the uncovered trailer or all the other pre-launch trailers, do they not seem story heavy to you?

I am just saying these story trailers mean shit and don't reflect anything about plot. Same was the case with Versus where people were hoping for the second coming of Shakespeare based in the short glimpses.

~Cross~

"Tries to gut a vision it turns into a cloud of vapor"

What sorcery is this, its like there was nothing there in the first place! -Tabata 2014

"Nomura's vision"

> Kingdom Hearts

😐

I can't wait for that game but we all know the story in that game is going to be hot garbage

Ran rp

What was shown of Versus was more promising than Kingdom Hearts. Plus, Nomura intended KH to be convoluted. We don't know if he'd take that approach with Versus and what we saw didn't suggest that.

Jarmel

Banned
The narrative actually reminds me of a worse case of Uncharted 3 in that the story was built around the set pieces and not the other way around.

~Cross~

PSY・S;225476130 said:
What was shown of Versus was more promising than Kingdom Hearts. Plus, Nomura intended KH to be convoluted. We don't know if he'd take that approach with Versus and what we saw didn't suggest that.

Here's the thing, a FFXV as a story is fine. FFvsXIII as a story was probably fine too. The issue is the plot, we have 0 understanding of vsXIIIs plot. Those snippets we were shown are not enough to construct a plot from.

There is not much left nin Japan.

Miyazaki, Yoko Taro and Kamiya is all that's left tbh.

Edit: and Kojima, although, I need to see something other than Metal Gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom