• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Judgment Disc demo out now on JPSN & JP Xbox Store

Gbraga

Right as someone who hasn't kept that much up with the game. Is there any benefit to not just holding square all the time in battle if you aren't attacking?

Also where is best for trying out and getting better at the combat?

Your mobility is limited when holding square, and there's an ability you can unlock that let you dodge for no MP if you time your presses instead of just holding it.

https://youtu.be/92L1Puwc7Bs
https://youtu.be/_X1KPvRRyn8
https://youtu.be/PAO2Wpp9rYc
https://youtu.be/4HUQCD-SOqA

I would just mess around trying out stuff, for instance the iron giant can destroy warp points

I see. I recently went back to PD to see if I can mess around with it a little bit
(and get that summon which apparently wasn't exclusive to demo in the first place KOOZEEEEK!!!)
but I just couldn't look past the terrible performance which actually gave me a headache. So after going through it once I deleted it... again.

Btw, you are a pretty good player NoctV. Seeing your clips actually made my head fill with tons of combat related questions (again), but it'll probably get annoying for the guys in this thread to answer them all so I'll just wait 2 more weeks to get my answers in the final game :)

I like how your party isn't completely useless like in other games with party AI.

They actually dodge enemy attacks and do combos.

I've been observing them and it's fascinating to watch them actually display some measure of competency.

No Tales of tier AI where they can't dodge or defend and eat everything that comes their way.

They get hit pretty infrequently and they dish out good damage (well damage is going to depend on level/weapons/damage type) and combos.

Speaking about the Platinum Demo, I don't know how I feel about the Greatsword no longer recovering large chunks of MP. I hope it's just because we need a specific Greatsword for that, and not that the ability is gone.

I think there's a skill that lets you drain MP on hit. I wouldn't be surprised if there are weapons that can drain MP on hit as well.

Pro just arrived bros
shaq.gif

Right as someone who hasn't kept that much up with the game. Is there any benefit to not just holding square all the time in battle if you aren't attacking?

Wat?
What are you talking about, holding square makes noctis walk around like a snail, not to mention your MP drains really quick if you just stand there auto dodging everything.

Also where is best for trying out and getting better at the combat?
best place is probably practice against Gladio (camp) and read some game faq combos is best start.

Pro just arrived bros
shaq.gif
I believe in you,
set us free!

wmlk

The holding square thing won't work very well when you have enemies throwing/shooting projectiles at you, like the Magitek Troops. That's going to deplete MP really quickly.

I actually didn't notice any circumstances where I was running out of MP as a result of dodging. The main issue for me was that they've drastically inflated the cost of warping across the various builds of the game.

sn00zer

This is going to be one of the most amazing and deeply flawed games. There is some true brilliance in the artwork and animation.

I actually didn't notice any circumstances where I was running out of MP as a result of dodging. The main issue for me was that they've drastically inflated the cost of warping across the various builds of the game.

If you fight an iron Giant you wont be able to just stand there holding square btw.

Mifec

Almost there!

I'm just keeping my word that if the pro version was good enough I'd get a PS4Pro for my cousin and just bum FXV off him and well the 1080/60 mode if they pull it off has me convinced. I don't mind waiting until December. (although I will preorder the deluxe for the nice suit)

If you fight an iron Giant you wont be able to just stand there holding square btw.

I beat several including the flaming sword iron giant and never once had an issue holding square. I'm pretty sure that I was utilizing the last moment guard pretty well and had purchased the ability that made my dodging less costly though.

drtsoni

Neo Member
I don't think this is accurate because I did the tutorial and the bombs and iron giant spawned at night. Where is that other monster st?

The bandersnatch is to the North - Northeast of Hammerhead, in a pit in the ground.

I drove the whole night the first time through, but nothing ever spawned. Strange...

Ishida

Banned
Nice!

Mine should be here by the end of the week I can't wait.

I order mine on Ebay (AntOnline shop) and they are taking their sweet time with the shipping. I paid for it last thursday, and they haven't shipped it yet.... :(

EDIT: OH SHIT, between the time I was typing this post, I finally got my shipping info! PS4 Pro, come to papa! :D

Mailbox

Oh man, I know its 15 days til release, but my amazon says its gonna ship on the 25th.
Mind you, last time that (I mean an early ship) happened, i got my ps4pro 4 days earlier than launch XP

I mean, I don't expect it until the 29th (since the 25th is a friday and it takes 2 days to ship and get to my place (so earliest would be on the 28th... but i digress), but the prospect of potentially getting it early is... yum.

TheTux

Oh man, I know its 15 days til release, but my amazon says its gonna ship on the 25th.
Mind you, last time that happened, i got my ps4pro 4 days earlier than launch XP

I mean, I don't expect it until the 29th (since the 25th is a tuesday and it takes 2 days to ship and get to my place (so earliest would be on the 28th... but i digress), but the prospect of potentially getting it early is... yum.

You may get it early... I preordered XIII-2 from GameStop and got it one day before release (I live in a small town).

Wat?
What are you talking about, holding square makes noctis walk around like a snail, not to mention your MP drains really quick if you just stand there auto dodging everything.

best place is probably practice against Gladio (camp) and read some game faq combos is best start.

I mean like rather than try to time dodges with a press, just holding square when an enemy starts an attack animation. like is there a perfect dodge point, or is it ok to just hold square?

bigmac996

This is going to be one of the most amazing and deeply flawed games. There is some true brilliance in the artwork and animation.

Exactly, I feel reviews for this will be very divisive. Some design decisions will not mesh with people, but there are so many strokes of genius in the game that you can't ignore. It's overly ambitious in some ways, and shockingly not so in others. It has no pretensions about what it is which I love.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Dang, look at that deeraffe resting next to Noct.

How the fuck you gonna attract a mate with them Michaelangelo-looking antlers? Damn, Final Fantasy be like Jurassic Park for evolutionary dead ends.

I mean like rather than try to time dodges with a press, just holding square when an enemy starts an attack animation. like is there a perfect dodge point, or is it ok to just hold square?

If you have the skill- to perfect dodge you will see noctis flash bright blue with particles,
this will prevent you from loosing any more MP- and it also slows down the action a bit allowing you more time to counter attack or do whatever you want.
xKiZyyr.gif

Now, when enemies flash white make sure you are not attacking and press or hold square button, followed immediately by pressing circle, the challenge here is that the circle prompt will flashe faster (making it harder) with some enemies.
dBc8J7O.gif

wmlk

I think what I love about XV -- and this has always been at its core to me when Tabata took over -- is the amazing sense of adventure and how rigorous the adventure can feel. It's looking like a great adventure game.

A lot of it has to do with how much I love the Pokémon games and the great adventures those games have. The region design and exploration started with Generation I (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow) and then peaked with Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver).

I think what I love about XV -- and this has always been at its core to me when Tabata took over -- is the amazing sense of adventure and how rigorous the adventure can feel. It's looking like a great adventure game.

A lot of it has to do with how much I love the Pokémon games and the great adventures those games have. The region design and exploration started with Generation I (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow) and then peaked with Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver).

hhmm for those of us who never played pokemon, what exactly do you mean
when speaking about adventure, sorry I'm not sure if I worded that correctly.

wmlk

hhmm for those of us who never played pokemon, what exactly do you mean
when speaking about adventure, sorry I'm not sure if I worded that correctly.

I'll try to use my favourite game in the series (which has aged poorly with how slow the engine is) as an example. This is Sinnoh from Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum (the third and definitive version):

Sinnoh-from-above-sinnoh-starters-and-evolutions-25515495-856-575.jpg

I tried to make a write up about the region but it was too long and unfocused, lol. I'll quote something from another poster in the recent LTTP thread that went up.

Sinnoh will likely always be my favourite region. I forgive it for its bad points, and fully acknowledge it can be a chore to get through due to the slow pacing, but I feel in some way that represents Sinnoh's atmosphere( not intentionally of course).

It's very relaxed in Sinnoh. The music has a nice influence of jazz that really hits that nail home, and coupled with the night soundtracks, you really get a feel how easy going this region is, despite the epic lore behind it. The best example is the Pokemon League music. Its some of the most laid back in the series, but your about to take on the blooming elite four!

Its the reason I love Sinnoh, it has atmosphere in buckets and buckets. The route design much more complicated than a normal pokemon title, and makes exploring even more fun, especially with all the weather effects. You can tell its a chilly, rugged, mountainous place, and makes you feel comfy when you get to one of the awesome towns. The graphics add to this with it's charming pixel art and colourful palette. I love how each town felt unique, but yet part of the same region, and the town music is my favourite in the whole series. It may not have the best gameplay or dex, but it's easily my favourite region.

Eternal Diamond and Cosmic Pearl can't come soon enough.

Edit: Just to sell my point, here are some choice tracks -
Route 216, Jubilife City, Pokemon Center, Pokemon League

To add, Pokémon games always encourage exploration with moves called HMs. These allow you to Rock Climb, Surf on the water, and Fly to previous towns to unlock new areas that were closed off. The difference this time was that the Sinnoh region had an amazing sense of place and was by far the biggest region in the series. Just by looking at the picture of the region, you can get a sense of the cold setting, the big mountain in the middle that acts as a barrier whenever you go across the region and the most important area in the game where the story climaxes.

With other regions in Pokémon, you sometimes have random deserts or forests in the middle of nowhere, but you didn't get that feeling with Sinnoh. It felt very cohesive unlike most of the regions in the series. One of the things I appreciated a lot about Sinnoh was that even the environmental conditions themselves like the snow and the mud impeded your movement across the region. It took more time to traverse these places, but the end reward was sometimes so awesome that it also made the journey more memorable. Like a Safari Park, a new town, or a big story event.

Speaking of big story event. See that dark, swirling thing at peak of the mountain? That's a portal to another dimension where the exploration is immediately interesting and memorable.

tumblr_m3gyazm5gp1r2mho4o1_500.gif

tumblr_lzn7s1Hcwz1qeh39oo1_500.gif

This is how you traverse in one of the areas in the game. The Omen trailer sorta reminded me of this and I hope a few elements of it make it into the game.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that exploration in Pokémon games is memorable because you're sometimes travelling a long time before you get to a new town and journey. The Sinnoh region in particular with its cold weather, sweet jazz music, and its great size has a very distinct personality to it. FFXV reminds me of that kind of big and memorable journey.

So having just played the Platinum demo, is this how magic is going to work in the final game? It's so cumbersome aiming magic and trying to land a hit.

And I'm not sure if I was missing anything on how to use more than one fire magic at the end.

Any links to a step by step for JP account so I can try this demo? I remember making one way back after PS3's launch with a fake spam email but I'm not sure if that works anymore.

wmlk

So having just played the Platinum demo, is this how magic is going to work in the final game? It's so cumbersome aiming magic and trying to land a hit.

And I'm not sure if I was missing anything on how to use more than one fire magic at the end.

Any links to a step by step for JP account so I can try this demo? I remember making one way back after PS3's launch with a fake spam email but I'm not sure if that works anymore.

Just tap the button to use it. It's almost instant cast now.

Just tap the button to use it. It's almost instant cast now.
Are you saying I can just tap it in the PD or that's how it works currently? I assume it hits the locked on enemy then. That's good to know, thanks.

Edit: I realized I could just take the controller from my son and try for myself (He's six and he loves playing around in the dining room area). It kind of just casts it straight ahead, in the distance no matter which creature may be locked on.

wmlk

Are you saying I can just tap it in the PD or that's how it works currently? I assume it hits the locked on enemy then. That's good to know, thanks.

You can tap it in Platinum Demo too, but it takes longer and doesn't track where the enemy is. Now, it casts almost instantly when you tap it. Apparently it tracks the enemy too, but I haven't tried it. At the very least it's much more accurate and much faster since it's almost instantaneous.

j0QAAou.gif

It's not explained, but you can lock on on the enemy, and if that one doesn't move, just press the O button while having the magic equipped, it will cast it automatically.

You can tap it in Platinum Demo too, but it takes longer and doesn't track where the enemy is. Now, it casts almost instantly when you tap it. Apparently it tracks the enemy too, but I haven't tried it. At the very least it's much more accurate and much faster since it's almost instantaneous.

j0QAAou.gif

It's not explained, but you can lock on on the enemy, and if that one doesn't move, just press the O button while having the magic equipped, it will cast it automatically.
That explains my edit. Thanks folks.

I wish there were more than 4 slots for weapons/magic. Like maybe a shoulder button to switch between 4 magic or 4 weapons at least.

Caim

I'm not sure if its intentional, but after I defeated the Iron Giant I tried to fight the Red Giant who appears soon after.

Was getting destroyed so I ran away, but soon after that I turned around to see if he would despawn, but he's just standing there slowly losing health (like 500 a second) I dunno if its a glitch or something.

JBwB

I'm not sure if its intentional, but after I defeated the Iron Giant I tried to fight the Red Giant who appears soon after.

Was getting destroyed so I ran away, but soon after that I turned around to see if he would despawn, but he's just standing there slowly losing health (like 500 a second) I dunno if its a glitch or something.

Was the sun rising when this happened? Daemons will die after night has passed.

Popping in to say that as someone with a high-end 1080p set (but not so high-end that it features HDR), I'm feeling pretty vindicated about my PS4 Pro purchase yesterday. I was initially pretty worried that I wouldn't be able to see enough of a difference without a 4K TV to make the purchase worth it, but I've been looking at my own footage of the game running on my original PS4 alongside high-quality mode on the Pro, and the difference really is noticeable. It's the kind of thing where it seems like it's hard to tell at first, but once you know what you're looking for you can't unsee how much better things look on the Pro.

So yeah, this is all pretty anecdotal, but add me to the "I only have a 1080p, non-HDR TV but I'm still seeing noticeable improvements on the Pro" group. Of course that will vary from game to game, but seeing as FFXV is pretty much the game for me this year, FFXV is enough to start. Then there's Horizon: Zero Dawn next year... <3

Wow, this spread fast! This is my picture - I snapped it while taking a walk in the Koreatown area of Los Angeles yesterday. :)

Can anyone tell me if there are any caves or mini-dungeons hidden in the countryside in this demo? I've been combing the whole area and have been unable to find anything other than a long tunnel that has some goblins to fight, one of the tombs of the kings that Noctis has to visit (locked here), the mineshaft dungeon from the PAX demo (also locked here), a second fishing spot near some ruins, and a neat little path that leads to a cool lookout spot (but seems to serve no other purpose). Are there any caves/labyrinths to explore like in Episode Duscae?

silva1991

dBc8J7O.gif

This monster feels like it's strong against fire. I mean there is smoke coming out of it and it feels overheated all the time so, why would Noctis use fire instead of ice? same thing goes for the fire iron golem.

I feel they overlooked some of those counter attacks when it comes to spell elements.

nOoblet16

dBc8J7O.gif

This monster feels like it's strong against fire. I mean there is smoke coming out of it and it feels overheated all the time so, why would Noctis use fire instead of ice? same thing goes for the fire iron golem.

I feel they overlooked some of those counter attacks when it comes to spell elements.

As they say, you fight fire with fire.

EctoPrime

Just noticed a hidden passageway into Duscae that is blocked off located north of the goblin tunnel behind the Giraffe creatures which is cool to find.

Just noticed a hidden passageway into Duscae that is blocked off located north of the goblin tunnel behind the Giraffe creatures which is cool to find.

Oh, thanks for sharing! I'll check this out tonight. Still trying to find out if there are any caves or labyrinths hidden in the countryside like there were in Episode Duscae... haven't found anything yet, though.

Top Bottom