• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Judgment Disc demo out now on JPSN & JP Xbox Store

Gurnlei

Err... 1.x maps were garbage copypasta corridors... not sure how anyone could like that.

Never liked the Black Shroud myself. But the other three regions were pretty open with a few corridors in between them. The desert in XV and Thanalan in XIV feels so similar. Two settlements called Hammerhead and Hammerlea isn't helping.

Mailbox

The sign on the left interesting. Can't use Carbuncle in this fight :p.

Same symbol appears when you "die" in this demo beside your name. Idk what it really means :/ Maybe both have something to do with Carbuncle in the final game?

Also, that showing was a mistake. Those threads about them are hot trash to read through :S (the other mods aren't helping either by piling on)

Same symbol appears when you "die" in this demo beside your name. Idk what it really means :/ Maybe both have something to do with Carbuncle in the final game?

Also, that showing was a mistake. Those threads about them are hot trash to read through :S (the other mods aren't helping either by piling on)

It's a mistake only because FFXV is the game we're talking about. Some people are too invested in this game being trash for some reason. If this showing was for any other game people won't take it remotely seriously.

Mailbox

It's a mistake only because FFXV is the game we're talking about. Some people are too invested in this game being trash for some reason. If this showing was for any other game people won't take it remotely seriously.

My biggest worry for this game is that because its treated like a 10year dev game rather than the 3-4 year dev game it really is its small misgivings or otherwise minor issues will be seen as akin to blasphemy and "the worst in gaming".

I can at least hope that time will be kinder and a fandom or cult classic-ification occurs.

I don't think it's so much being invested in the game's failure as it is SE's marketing being hit-and-miss. And that's a very generous description. A lot of the ways they're showing this game don't inspire confidence or give the idea that there are interesting things to do in the game, and scenes and fights are weirdly riddled with anticlimax.

Caim

Carbuncle revives you in Judgement Disc with Ruby Light everytime you "die" so maybe its turned off for that fight in the demo.

Styles

b0q49.gif

Rpgmonkey

Spent about two and a half hours on this playing it off and on to get a feel for how much I do and don't like what's demonstrated. It's ok, as usual with Final Fantasy the visuals and music stand out but unlike (most) Final Fantasies not much else really stood out to me in a really, really good way. There's some neat shifts from typical series conventions in here but it was all just satisfactory and not really "man what they're doing here is blowing everything else I played this generation right out of the water" level stuff.

I'm still looking forward to the dungeons the most out of everything concerning this game (really disappointed that they couldn't even have a portion of one available to try out). Think I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of wasting time in those and the entrances to them at least imply they'll be pretty diverse environments.

Gbraga

Regarding the combat, I probably fall somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I find it to be a pretty functional system with a lot of fundamental flaws keeping it from greatness. I think that after several hours of playing the game the lack of options will start to wear pretty thin, and I agree with you wholeheartedly that the combat fails to feel responsive or impactful. At its baseline though, I disagree with you on it being total garbage. Against most of the enemies I thought it was fun enough to keep me entertained through the open world and was seeking out hunts and more powerful opponents gladly. The only thing that came close to the Deadeye or catoblepas slog was the bandersnatch, and he at least was easily parried and had clear moments of weakness.

Bandersnatch can be defeated in a little more than two minutes. I don't think it's that bad for a boss that you're underleveled and undergeared to fight against.

Bandersnatch can be defeated in a little more than two minutes. I don't think it's that bad for a boss that you're underleveled and undergeared to fight against.

Ah, I was mostly using low-level blizzard magic to freeze him in the lake. I can't read Japanese so I wasn't able to create any bind spells, and I didn't take long enough to fuse a ton of powerful magic as I'd just used most of it on the fiery iron giant. I also didn't have the second tier skills for Glad and Ignis. Can't believe the sheer damage Glad does with his in this video.

I think they will, it's a long game :p

There's nothing particularly exeuction-heavy in this video, it's just a smart use of the game's mechanics.

Now this is something I don't expect most players to achieve, at least on a first playthrough (myself included): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ZRZlec_bQ

To be honest what's shown in that video isn't too tough either, you just have to change your weapon mid combo (mostly looks flashy, there's not a lot of mechanical incentive to actually do it) and know that the shuriken's amplified warp strike automatically staggers the giant. I bet you could pull it off with a little practice, but it won't be well-suited to enemies who don't easily stagger or who are smaller/faster. Aerial combat actually leaves you wide wide open in this game, unfortunately.

There was this one moment while spamming commands, Noctis accidentally called out Ignis' name while issuing commands to Prompto ("Ignis...wait no, Prompto!"). That was a really cute moment and I wish I recorded it. I really like the interactions within the whole party. If only this whole game was light-hearted throughout, no invasions, no deaths, nothing bad happening, just 4 friends on a road trip.

Took me a bit to come with terms with this game and the Internet. It could score a 110% metacritic score, and still would have so much negativity towards it haha.

Definitely going to do my best to stay away from gaming boards while doing my intended 2+ play throughs.

Mailbox

Took me a bit to come with terms with this game and the Internet. It could score a 110% metacritic score, and still would have so much negativity towards it haha.

Definitely going to do my best to stay away from gaming boards while doing my intended 2+ play throughs.

I totally forgot about NG+...
Man I'm gonna be gone from Gaf's gaming side for soooo long when I get this game/ when embargo's get lifted

I totally forgot about NG+...
Man I'm gonna be gone from Gaf's gaming side for soooo long when I get this game/ when embargo's get lifted

Yea I'm hoping by then they patch in a hard mode.

Unless I missed somewhere that there is one, but last I remember only a easy and standard for now.

Mailbox

Anyone else experienced terrible frame rate drops? I had a minute long drop that dropped to single digits. It was fucking terrible.

No i don't think anyone has had any major drops (maybe drops here and there but thats it)
Which version are you playing?
Its probably a frame pacing issue and not a frame rate one.

Geg

I still can't seem to switch back to manual driving for some reason :l

That seems to trigger after you go to the hotel. From my understanding of the Japanese dialog in that scene Ignis just says to let him handle the driving from that point on, so any major exploring on your own would have to be done after leaving Hammerhead but before stopping at the hotel area on your way to Galdin.

He'll still let you drive on your own at night though.

Yea, sorry shoulda threw in a /s lol.

That's pretty bad, is it happening a lot?

Nope. That was the only drop I had. That's why I checked this thread to see if anyone was experiencing similar issues.

Yikes!

This is bad and from the looks of it, a bug in the game. You were playing on HQ mode, right? Because that mode seems unstable for now.

I had it running at Highest quality with HDR on. Not sure if that factors in.

That seems to trigger after you go to the hotel. From my understanding of the Japanese dialog in that scene Ignis just says to let him handle the driving from that point on, so any major exploring on your own would have to be done after leaving Hammerhead but before stopping at the hotel area on your way to Galdin.

He'll still let you drive on your own at night though.

I hear you get AP depending on how you respond to these conversations.

I wonder if letting him drive would net you AP since I assume Ignis would prefer Noctis to let him handle driving.

Trace

Banned
Yikes!

This is bad and from the looks of it, a bug in the game. You were playing on HQ mode, right? Because that mode seems unstable for now.

I've played on the pro for two playthroughs of about 7 hours in total and I've never seen anything remotely similar to that.

Nope. That was the only drop I had. That's why I checked this thread to see if anyone was experiencing similar issues.

I had it running at Highest quality with HDR on. Not sure if that factors in.
HQ mode has more frame pacing issues and seems unoptimized for now. Day one patch will add better PS4 Pro support. The demo likely had an early version of the Pro support that somehow slipped the QA of SE. Maybe they thought not many people would be able to play the demo since it was limited to Japan.

That bandersnatch video is crazy impressive. Tried fighting it and got my ass kicked by it. Only level 6 cause I started a new game of the demo and hard to lock on atm cause my rb broke for my xbox 1 controller but cool to see some of the higher level companion abilitys.

Any other badass fights in the demo aside from that and the golem you can find with the two fireballs?

Mailbox

Third time starting anew, and new bugs abound. It really looks like some of these bugs are downright random depending on how it handles the start game :S

Anywho, I got sidetracked so I didn't check get to the bloodhorn fight, but instead I went north. Fought the level 29 scorpion, and both ignis and prompto kept running away. Like legit running the fuck away wtf :S Made the fight extra frustrating.

I also noticed that this time, my ps4 pro was really loud on pro mode and the vents were extra loud and the top right got quite hot. When I put it into the ps4 home screen or put the game into lightweight mode this stopped ._.

And for the final bug, a pack of 4 Rhinos blinking in and out of existence.

Despite that, I also found 2 GOOD thing extra about the demo. The long necked antelope things are docile. I always just went fight mode warp when getting near them, but they won't initiate a fight. They get a bit spooked when you are around, but they just gallop and run around and its just so serine just looking at them. Man that was cool.

The second thing is that you get more link strikes if you equipped sub weapons to your allies. They are quite cool actually. Also allies using magic is quite intuitive. The reticle for magic appears and it gives you just enough time to get out of the way if you are in the way. Quite nice :)

valkyre

Yesterday I amanged to solo the bandersnatch boss. Well by "solo" I mean I left my team die then proceeded to kill the beast alone. Took like 15 minutes but damn that felt good.

artsi

When you die, Carbuncle will revive you once in the demo using "Ruby Light".

After that his power is used up and the symbol appears, he can't revive you again.

Top Bottom