• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Judgment Disc demo out now on JPSN & JP Xbox Store

Sylas

0O30PiC.jpg

It's happening. I can't believe it's happening!

SE are shipping some editions, but I highly doubt they will go out for delivery until close to release.

Once again, I'm here to shit on a parade. The status is updated to "shipped" when they charge you--and that's typically 14 days in advance of the product actually shipping out.

EctoPrime

Oh, thanks for sharing! I'll check this out tonight. Still trying to find out if there are any caves or labyrinths hidden in the countryside like there were in Episode Duscae... haven't found anything yet, though.

You can enter one found beyond the Kings tomb but you are still blocked from doing pretty much anything.

sn00zer

Played through all three demoes (Duscae, Platinum, and Judgement)..... my general feeling is that the game just isn't going to be good, but got damn did they shoot for the fucking stars in the creature design. Just absolutely gorgeous, jaw dropping, and fantastic creatures. I will say without a doubt the best creature design in any game Ive ever played and they way they introduce some of the creatures has a sense of awe not seen outside of God of War.

That said.

The combat is bad. It just is. There is not justifying it one way or the other, its just bad. Probably the worst action rpg battle system I have ever played. Its not fun to control and the slow speed isn't justified by any added elements of strategy. Its just a very poorly playing action game.

Disappointed and will sit on reviews, but I really really hope the creature assets get used in future games, because they are just too beautiful to be kept in this game.

Played through all three demoes (Duscae, Platinum, and Judgement)..... my general feeling is that the game just isn't going to be good, but got damn did they shoot for the fucking stars in the creature design. Just absolutely gorgeous, jaw dropping, and fantastic creatures. I will say without a doubt the best creature design in any game Ive ever played and they way they introduce some of the creatures has a sense of awe not seen outside of God of War.

That said.

The combat is bad. It just is. There is not justifying it one way or the other, its just bad. Probably the worst action rpg battle system I have ever played. Its not fun to control and the slow speed isn't justified by any added elements of strategy. Its just a very poorly playing action game.

Disappointed and will sit on reviews, but I really really hope the creature assets get used in future games, because they are just too beautiful to be kept in this game.

Tldr: "I suck at the combat system" :(

silva1991

That said.

I can't judge the game now, but ohhh YEAH monster designs are objectively great.

Just brilliant and whoever design the griffon in this game needs a raise asap

ffxviwillbe_thumb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KzUP0Xot2M

easily my favorite griffon design in any game.

LotusHD

Banned

That said.

Completely disagree on the combat not being fun, but to each their own I suppose.

That said.

Well... That's just like...your opinion, man.

Joking aside, I am disappointed you didn't like it. More disappointed you don't see how the battle system can be used strategically. But to each his own. I hope you can give it another go another time. There's more nuances to the battle system and it really shines as the game becomes harder.

Got around to playing the Judgement demo. I like the combat, but your magic has a really long cooldown. Love switching weapons on the fly mid combo. It just feels so good.
Didn't really understand most of the menu, so it took longer than expected with trial and error. Besides the very first choice with Cindy, I just guessed the rest of my dialogue choices for the other characters.

My impression is pretty optimistic so far.

Mailbox

That said.

Lol what? Okay, but what did you not like about the battle system though? Because "it's slow" is total bs. You basically said "it's bad because it's bad". I had a damn blast and the battle system is quite fast. Maybe stop using greatswords and use some lances and daggers and start warpstriking? At the very very least the battle system is much faster than KH1.

Seriously "slow" is not a comment to describe this battle system.

Just as an FYI, if I see anyone saying this battle system is worse or more boring than ff12's I'll freakin call you out on that shit!

Yeah I'm not a fan of magic being mapped to the same buttons as weapons. I would prefer it being its own thing, maybe you can only choose one element at once.

Yeah, they should have just done a Kingdom Hearts 1/2 approach where you hold down one of the shoulder buttons and can use the face buttons for more magic spells.

Mailbox

To anyone complaining about parts of the Magic system, trust me it all makes sense when you mix crazy shit. Quad cast wild magic with level 50+ effects nets you some crazy attack strength. I even got 9999 damage on the bandersnatch a few times (that doesn't take it down much lol)

The long cool down makes it so that this isn't spammable on bosses or hard enemies, and the friendly fire makes it so that you have to think twice on the effects or the strength of the magics you mix.

If they try to do the Titan demo we are absolutely fucked. I dont think this is a good idea

What are you talking about?

wmlk

Making actual use of the Magic in this demo requires you to understand Japanese. You can create stuff with Stop as a property but you wouldn't know if you didn't know Japanese.

bigmac996

That said.

Maybe to your personal tastes the combat is bad, but I wouldn't go as far to say there is no justifying it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

The combat is a lot of fun in XV, especially against higher level monsters, but it doesn't feel as responsive as it should be.

In terms of real time combat I still think Kingdom Hearts 2 does it best. It just feels great, looks great, and is just really responsive.

12BoM

What are you talking about?

Have you guys seen Clueless Gamer before? He's gonna have no idea what's going on, and when somebody doesn't know what's going on while playing this game it tends to look pretty bad.

Especially the Titan fight.

Boke1879

Have you guys seen Clueless Gamer before? He's gonna have no idea what's going on, and when somebody doesn't know what's going on while playing this game it tends to look pretty bad.

That's his shtick. He's just going to play it and make jokes about it. This really isn't even something people should take seriously. It's just for exposure.

Mailbox

Oh you're talking about the clueless gamer thing XD I thought it was another post shot posting about the Titan fight :p

Yeah that would be horrible.

It'd be amazing if it was this demo in Japanese and we see them super confused about the interface

12BoM

That's his shtick. He's just going to play it and make jokes about it. This really isn't even something people should take seriously. It's just for exposure.

I know it's his shtick. For some games (like a GTA for instance) it might work. For this, im 99% sure it won't.

Oh you're talking about the clueless gamer thing XD I thought it was another post shot posting about the Titan fight :p

Yeah that would be horrible.

It'd be amazing if it was this demo in Japanese and we see them super confused about the interface

Nah lol I personally have no problem with the fight, just we've seen how this has went down before lol.

Yeah that would be something. excited to watch it tn :D

Gbraga

The combat is a lot of fun in XV, especially against higher level monsters, but it doesn't feel as responsive as it should be.

In terms of real time combat I still think Kingdom Hearts 2 does it best. It just feels great, looks great, and is just really responsive.

I'm not ready to play KH II FM at 60fps. My body can't take this much awesomeness.

Dunno all the people I've seen in videos who have said the combat is bad were always getting smacked around constantly and just hacking away at random before getting smacked down again.

The combat is a little unorthodox but it being different is not bad. It just means you need to spend time and learn how it works.

Once you do you can start doing cool stuff intentionally versus it just happening by accident.

Also the demo only lets you unlock a couple abilities that change your performance.

We don't even have access to everything yet.

How you play at the start of the game with no abilities versus at the end will naturally be different, as it is with all rpgs/action rpgs.

That said, having no access to abilities the combat is still fun. Thats why I bothered to write a few shitty weapon guides for the one handed sword and daggers. Because there's nuance to the different weapons and learning their strengths and limitations is going to be key imo.

Played the demo for about 5.5 hours, did all the hunts, killed Bandersnatch, and overall took a ton of time just soaking up the world. I am super fucking optimistic for the full product. Pls don't let me down Square...there's so much potential here...

sn00zer

FFXV feel like it was made in a vacuum where KH and most ARPGs dont exist. It feels incredibly unresponsive. A single thwap in KH or Souls just feels good, in FFXV you're left wondering when the attack is actually going to land.

Its just sluggish and I have seen no benefit o reasoning why the combat is generally unresponsive.

Gurnlei

Game's shaping up way better than what I expected.

The large open areas reminds me of XIV 1.0 maps. Like them myself but can see how some wish they were filled in more.

Mailbox

FFXV feel like it was made in a vacuum where KH and most ARPGs dont exist. It feels incredibly unresponsive. A single thwap in KH or Souls just feels good, in FFXV you're left wondering when the attack is actually going to land.

Its just sluggish and I have seen no benefit o reasoning why the combat is generally unresponsive.

You sure you didn't play the Platinum demo? The Judgment disc is quite responsive and the hits feel really quite good

About the combat: With the Platinum demo (d/led it last night) as my first hands on, I was lost. That iron giant was wrecking me.

But then I respawned it and tried again and again. I realized holding dodge and rolling weren't my only options and used warps to get out of the way, warp back for an attack boost and repeat after landing some standing blows.

It's strategic. If you're trying to play it like KH or DMC, you're doing it wrong.

Pachinko

Well, I went back and played the remainder of this demo ... and I want the full game NAOOO.

Seriously, it's pushed my hype up a fair bit actually playing this. I really like the combat system now , it's just a substantial step ahead of Duscae, and this is in spite of not knowing much Japanese at all ( I can understand a couple hundred words of spoken japanese at best ). I can see myself spending a lot of time running around this games world... November 29th can't come soon enough.

Mailbox

Just as an fyi I also tried out the demo via remote play and still had no issues with responsiveness :s

Resting after the cutscenes at beach area resulted in Prompto (or perhaps Ardyn himself?) taking this photo...lol

Some of his pics will be cutscene shots :p

Sylas

About the combat: With the Platinum demo (d/led it last night) as my first hands on, I was lost. That iron giant was wrecking me.

But then I respawned it and tried again and again. I realized holding dodge and rolling weren't my only options and used warps to get out of the way, warp back for an attack boost and repeat after landing some standing blows.

It's strategic. If you're trying to play it like KH or DMC, you're doing it wrong.

That was my thing, honestly. Once I realized it's not a "stand your ground" game where you're slipping through enemy attacks while constantly being in their face sort of ARPG I had a lot of fun with it. You're supposed to mix dodges and rolls with warping away when necessary. At worst you have to make sure you're fighting in a place with the warp-points that recover your MP instantly, but that's just another layer of strategy (so far).

I dunno, I adored the game and it's combat system. It's different and still incredibly fun.

silva1991

The combat is fun, but flawed. It took 3 demos and hours of playing Judgement demo alone for it to click with me....

even after it clicked I don't think it's an ARPG that I will replay over and over again like Souls and KH2, but we'll see.

My biggest issues with the combat:

1- the good old hold the button for normal combos

2- using the left analog stick for special attacks/combos. I can't stand it to be honest even after 15 hours of playing the demo.

surprisingly though I ended up liking the magic. i just hope we can get more bottles and increase capacity later in the game.

Holding the button felt weird at first because most games just have you mash it but it makes sense since it functions as a form of mini lockon.

Holding the button with the daggers for instance lets you attack and reposition against a single enemy, where as if you mash the button if you try to use a directional input and there's an enemy nearby you will attack them instead.

Mashing vs holding outside of the situation I just highlighted doesn't have a functional difference since you're still doing the exact same thing with the same end result. You can even mash the button if you want to right now and accomplish the same as holding, you just have to be mindful of targeting other enemies if you're not using R1 to maintain your lock-on.

They should honestly just put an option to disable holding to put this to rest for good.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Game's shaping up way better than what I expected.

The large open areas reminds me of XIV 1.0 maps. Like them myself but can see how some wish they were filled in more.

Err... 1.x maps were garbage copypasta corridors... not sure how anyone could like that.

Anyway, booted up the demo on my Pro. Looks so much better and basically what I expected the PS4 version to look like from the beginning.

That said.

Regarding the combat, I probably fall somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I find it to be a pretty functional system with a lot of fundamental flaws keeping it from greatness. I think that after several hours of playing the game the lack of options will start to wear pretty thin, and I agree with you wholeheartedly that the combat fails to feel responsive or impactful. At its baseline though, I disagree with you on it being total garbage. Against most of the enemies I thought it was fun enough to keep me entertained through the open world and was seeking out hunts and more powerful opponents gladly. The only thing that came close to the Deadeye or catoblepas slog was the bandersnatch, and he at least was easily parried and had clear moments of weakness.

Top Bottom