• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Signs of downgrades from the Platinum Demo

Good to know that the downgrade police is in force for a self contained demo 6 months out from release. Keep us naive consumers safe.

Griss

I had no idea the original trailer was CG. It looks like a massive downgrade to me. Maybe they shouldn't have gotten people's hopes up with a misleading trailer?

The Lamp

For those of you saying "it's a demo" or "it's still 6 months away"...

Name one time in the history of video games where the final product performed and looked (by leaps and bounds) better than an alpha, beta, demo, etc...

Pretty much every Sony first party game looks better than the earlier versions of the game. By far. Hello God of War 3.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. This game looks amazing. I'd easily put it near the top of my list of best-looking games ever. All they need to do is polish and make the framerate solid. I have every confidence they can manage that in the next 6 months.

Shouldn't have tried to sell it as gameplay, see the UI, health bars and everything :)
They basically told a room full of press that it was pre-rendered right after E3 conference.

The demo also clearly mentioned that the "final product is subject to change".

LeleSocho

Banned
This is when i know im dealing with hyperbole

I know you're disappointed but really?

Are you guys blind?

HiHkw9t.png

This is totally ps2 level of geometry... maybe even lower. Those are like 3-4 dozens of polygons put together.

jett

D-Member
Back when that trailer showed up, they made it a point to mention that some scenes were in fact offline rendered. I think at this point it's clear everything was a proof of concept render.

Squeenix has been honest for a while now with its media (and yet people complain about it, as if they were wishing they released bullshots). However, it's clear they were being tricky with their impressive trailer from 2014 as well, which shows much more grass density and further grass rendering than what the game does today.

1KIzddH.jpg

final-fantasy-xv_20161ua9n.jpg

That is a considerable difference.

Anyway, the game as it is right now looks very uneven as far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure I would consider it "impressive."

Mik2121

Are you guys blind?

HiHkw9t.png

This is totally ps2 level of geometry... maybe even lower
You think background assets use "PS4-level" polycounts? I mean, sure, it's not very well hidden, but it's not a geometry issue either. You can have that asset with some nicer lighting and material, some effects around it and make it look good enough.

The whole area also smells of "we didn't take into consideration that people could come this high on the demo", too. They could easily fix that stuff without much effort.

Are you guys blind?

HiHkw9t.png

This is totally ps2 level of geometry... maybe even lower. Those are like 3-4 dozens of polygons put together.

Zooming on on a small section at extreme draw distance is surely a fair comparison. Look at a similar PS2 screenshot and you won't even see that on screen.

T.O.P

Banned
They basically told a room full of press that it was pre-rendered right after E3 conference.

The demo also clearly mentioned that the "final product is subject to change".

That's good but as someone who isn't following every single info coming out about the game but still visits gaf daily i had totally no idea about that

Still disappointing considering ala the difference

Genio88

Playing the demo i noticed that some assets look like from old gen, also noticeable aliasing and poor deep of field, but despite that the game looks good to me, and to be honest being a Final Fantasy i don't care that much about its graphics but more about art style which looks good to me, my real concern is about frame rate instead, they really need to adress that, the demo could barely achieve 30fps with plenty of awful drops

PS: And of course it looks downgraded compared to demos they showed at some events, i thought here everybody knew that games shown at E3 and other events just run on powerful PCs to look as better as they can, same for trailers or official screenshots

hitsugi

How often do you see big changes in the visuals in the last 6 months of a game's dev time?

"it's a demo" "game's not out yet" "they still have months to make the game look better" etc etc

These people aren't familiar with how SFV turned out.

I had no idea the original trailer was CG. It looks like a massive downgrade to me. Maybe they shouldn't have gotten people's hopes up with a misleading trailer?

Have you watched the whole trailer? Some of the stuff look up resed PS3 assets, which they were. Other stuff seemed suspiciously high end/unachievable. Personally, I think this engine is super taxing. If they showed the same stuff at 4K with high detail across the board, I think it would tank most of the early concept stuff. As it is, I still think it looks better than the initial trailers overall. They really managed to capture the city of Altissia for instance.

MUnited83

For you.
I mean, even without considering the prerendered trailers, the game still got a very clear downgrade from the supposed "real" gameplay videos...

I mean, even without considering the prerendered trailers, the game still got a very clear downgrade from the supposed "real" gameplay videos...

There is a vegetation downgrade from the October 2014 footage. Otherwise, I don't agree. For me the main criticisms that fly are FPS, IQ, AA, and some low res. LoD can be noticible but the game is massive. Otherwise, I think it is very impressive looking and will look amazing at higher res/IQ

LeleSocho

Banned
You think background assets use "PS4-level" polycounts? I mean, sure, it's not very well hidden, but it's not a geometry issue either. You can have that asset with some nicer lighting and material, some effects around it and make it look good enough.

???
How it's not a geometry issue?
What you have rendered on screen in that frame is Noctis, the thing he's grapped on and everything off in the distance that makes 90% of what you see.
Noctis looks good, the building he's on it's ok-ish but given that the movement is fast it's enough and everything else you see seems like you are watching GTA:SA
Everything on the right side of the line looks really really bad compared to the CG trailer... i don't know how can you say it's not true. Like seriously how can you even compare it to the first screenshot?
Are people really believing that in six months, on release, they will make it look like the CG one? Are you insane?
It's obvious that LOD is involved but i expected way more than that.

Ran rp

Back when that trailer showed up, they made it a point to mention that some scenes were in fact offline rendered. I think at this point it's clear everything was a proof of concept render.

Squeenix has been honest for a while now with its media (and yet people complain about it, as if they were wishing they released bullshots). However, it's clear they were being tricky with their impressive trailer from 2014 as well, which shows much more grass density and further grass rendering than what the game does today.

1KIzddH.jpg

Anyway, the game as it is right now looks very uneven as far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure I would consider it "impressive."

rip

Carlius

Banned
downgrade is ibvious. as always, game was probably made on pc, as all games are, and then downgraded to fit in consoles.

also yes, people expecting the game to look like it did on release day, cause this is just a demo? its like people who say, BUT ITS ONLY IN BETA. Never have i seen a game massively change from beta to release. so i expect this to be just like the demo in these pictures and for people to realize that ps4 is not capable of that power.

in fact, SE once said, you will need a very pwoerful PC to run FFXV. this to me just clearly states that the game was put on PC and now its being fitted into console specs.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The game still looks good but I noticed a lot of concessions that've been made recently presumably so that it can get reasonable performance on consoles, (compare the original behemoth scene to the new version). No way it would've been able to look like that 2013 trailer which as others noted, was target render footage and not actual gameplay, (those set pieces....), the city area as well was a PC tech demo/combat area with higher quality models than anything they showed outside of cutscenes. These are reasonable sacrifices if they ensure good performance since the game is still quite a looker.

Philippo

Aren't most demo/trailers usually nehind the time they release in terms of work schedule?
Like, i wouldn't be surprised if this is from 2-3 months ago in terms pf optimization process.

So do you guys want to keep whining and hope squeenix delay the game for another 10 years or do you all want to play the game this 30th Sept?

Let's face it, turd looking or not, people are going to play it. That's all that matters.

CHC

I really just don't have the energy for any more downgrade discussions in my life, not after The Witcher III wars.

The game looks beautiful, only so much can be done on a console of fixed power levels.

LeleSocho

Banned
Zooming on on a small section at extreme draw distance is surely a fair comparison. Look at a similar PS2 screenshot and you won't even see that on screen.
I haven't zoomed anything that's the native size of the picture, i only took a section of it and even then it wouldn't change anything because every building around the section i took it in the screenshot is on the same level more or less.

Durante

1KIzddH.jpg

Is that second screenshot from the current demo? That IQ is horrendous.

jett

D-Member
PSY・S;199758070 said:

Those are sum nice graphics.

Too bad they aren't real.

Almost nothing survived on its way to an actual game. Lighting, shadowing, shading, LOD, grass...everything got a massive downgrade. Man. I assume not even a PC version would restore FFXV to that state.

Is that second screenshot from the current demo? That IQ is horrendous.

It's a freshly released screen from Squeenix.

1KIzddH.jpg

Yeah, LOD and shadow rendering differences have been pretty close to the camera this gen on a lot of games. It is not too surprising.

Now only if devs would not demo versions of the game that could not possibly look like that on console :/

The downgrade is real, especially grass, IQ and a much more aggressive LOD. Thankfully the game still look good so it doesn't bother me too much. And lol at people thinking the visuals will massively change in 6 months.

Top Bottom