• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

Lexxism

I think he shows up during a certain time of day. If you are just looking for a monster with high hp to use experiacast on you can use the kujata near the highway in duscae.
That's actually a good suggestion. Will do this later. After beating the monster, how long do I wait for it to show up again?

The moment you realize that this is the only FF game where the bad guy wins*

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Final Fantasy XII. Story has it faults but it has my favorite villain. He wanted to rid the world of mechanisations from the Occuria, with the help of a rebel Occuria who wants humans to hold their own fate. They succeeded.

Not to say Vayne is a good guy. He backstabs, manipulates and uses people to get his way, no matter how good of an intention he had in the first place.

Meowster

Final Fantasy XII. Story has it faults but it has my favorite villain. He wanted to rid the world of mechanisations from the Occuria, with the help of a rebel Occuria who wants humans to hold their own fate. They succeeded.

Not to say Vayne is a good guy. He backstabs, manipulates and uses people to get his way, no matter how good of an intention he had in the first place.
No coincidence, then, that Vayne and Ardyn are some of the best villains in the series.

Vayne is so overlooked but XII is in general, hoping the remaster fixes that.

theofficefan99

I LOVED the last chapter, but I didn't like the ending. It just felt kind of stupid/lazy.

Also, who thought it was a good idea to use an in-game flashback during a CG cutscene? That was really awkward

Ishida

Banned
Ardyn is still the only villain who truly 100% accomplished what he set out to do.

Kefka destroyed the world, but his objective was to destroy all existence. He failed miserably.

Sephiroth also failed hard.

Ultimecia was in the process of Time Compression when she was defeated. She also failed.

Kuja was close, but he was defeated and all damage was undone.

Seymour failed to become one with Sin and was sent away. Failed.

Vayne managed to destroy the Occurria, so he succeeded in half of his plan. He failed to rule over the world with no gods.

Orphan and Bartendalus failed to crash Cocoon and kill all of its inhabitants.

Ardyn's plan was a lot more personal. He never wanted to destroy or conquer the world. He just wanted revenge. And he succeeded in everything. I think he's the only villain in the franchise whose plan succeeded just exactly as he planned it.

Alucrid

Banned
Ardyn is still the only villain who truly 100% accomplished what he set out to do.

Kefka destroyed the world, but his objective was to destroy all existence. He failed miserably.

Ultimecia was in the process of Time Compression when she was defeated. She also failed.

Vayne managed to destroy the Occurria, so he succeeded in half of his plan. He failed to rule over the world with no gods.

Ardyn's plan was a lot more personal. He never wanted to destroy or conquer the world. He just wanted revenge. And he succeeded in everything. I think he's the only villain in the franchise whose plan succeeded just exactly as he planned it.

not really. ardyn never got to feel gladiolus' butt

DarkKyo

Doesn't this say more about the protagonists than it does Ardyn? Sure, Ardyn's plan went perfectly, but that's the problem.. Noctis and co just willingly went along with it and walked into every trap without so much as to question why Ardyn was being so helpful(earlier on) in certain spots and leading them to the objectives(later on) in other spots.

Mediking

Doesn't this say more about the protagonists than it does Ardyn? Sure, Ardyn's plan went perfectly, but that's the problem.. Noctis and co just willingly went along with it and walked into every trap without so much as to question why Ardyn was being so helpful(earlier on) in certain spots and leading them to the objectives(later on) in other spots.

No, the guys questioned Ardyn.... it's just bad writing.

Ishida

Banned

No, they questioned it. But they didn't have any other choice. The way to cleanse the world by using the Crystal's light needed the True King's sacrifice. Ardyn just made sure all the pieces fell into place. And he succeeded.

Jennipeg

Erm... What was Ardyn's plan? What did he succeed in? The credits are rolling and I have no idea.

Mediking

Noctis is/was doomed from the BEGINNING. Ever since he was born... he was DOOMED. Same goes for Luna.

Ishida

Banned
Erm... What was Ardyn's plan? What did he succeed in? The credits are rolling and I have no idea.

Destroying the Lucis Caelum line, vanishing the Crystal, spitting in the face of the gods and being able to die.

As a side effect, he also completely destroyed the 3 royal families of the world, leaving Lucis, Niflheim and Tenebrae completely decapitated.

One hunt left and it's that stupid toad you can only fight when it rains.

Before this it was the Jabberwock in Costlemark which I hated having to do the stupid cube puzzle again. What's even worse is that since it's a hunt you can here the damn thing as soon you walk into the dungeon.

Same with the Quetzalcoatl in the grove although at least you don't have to do a shitty puzzle just to fight it.

Edit: Of course as soon as I post this it rains and I kill the toad. Finished all the hunts and now I just have the sealed dungeons left.

Jennipeg

Destroying the Lucis Caelum line, vanishing the Crystal, spitting in the face of the gods and being able to die.

As a side effect, he also completely destroyed the 3 royal families of the world, leaving Lucis, Niflheim and Tenebrae completely decapitated.

Was he ever a person, as in mortal? He mentioned healing people but then being turned away as a daemon. I get that he wants revenge for that, although why it's the Lucis' fault I don't know. Does anyone know why he can't die?

I don't remember vanishing the crystal either!

I swear I paid attention, I really did but I'm pretty lost.

Ishida

Banned
Was he ever a person, as in mortal? He mentioned healing people but then being turned away as a daemon. I get that he wants revenge for that, although why it's the Lucis' fault I don't know. Does anyone know why he can't die?

I don't remember vanishing the crystal either!

I swear I paid attention, I really did but I'm pretty lost.

Yes. Both Ardyn and Bahamut tell the story at the end of Chapter 13. Ardyn was a mortal, a healer who absorbed many Daemons inside his soul to spare millions of lives. However, as a side effect of absorbing the Daemons, he became immortal, completely unable to die.

Noctis' ancestor started a smearing campaign against Ardyn and they stole his right to the throne. Ardyn was rejected by the Crystal and the gods, and was denied the throne even after all the good he did.

Also remember, the entirety of the Crystal's light/power was absorbed into the Ring of the Lucii. And what happens at the end? The Crystal's power is spent and the ring shatters. No more Crystal.

Brix

good points.

CLBridges

One hunt left and it's that stupid toad you can only fight when it rains.

Before this it was the Jabberwock in Costlemark which I hated having to do the stupid cube puzzle again. What's even worse is that since it's a hunt you can here the damn thing as soon you walk into the dungeon.

Same with the Quetzalcoatl in the grove although at least you don't have to do a shitty puzzle just to fight it.

Damn, so you do have to redo the cube puzzle again for the Jabberwock hunt. Guess I'm gonna save that for last, don't feel like fighting 50 flans and 3 giants with a snake lady this soon after completing it.

Jennipeg

Yes. Both Ardyn and Bahamut tell the story at the end of Chapter 13. Ardyn was a mortal, a healer who absorbed many Daemons inside his soul to spare millions of lives. However, as a side effect of absorbing the Daemons, he became immortal, completely unable to die.

Noctis' ancestor started a smearing campaign against Ardyn and they stole his right to the throne. Ardyn was rejected by the Crystal and the gods, and was denied the throne even after all the good he did.

Also remember, the entirety of the Crystal's light/power was absorbed into the Ring of the Lucii. And what happens at the end? The Crystal's power is spent and the ring shatters. No more Crystal.

Thanks for the reply, it's really helpful. I've literally just finished and am trying to piece it together.

I know the problem I had with the Bahamut scene, the entire time I was thinking how bad the sound mixing was because Noctis' groaning and struggling was loader then Bahamut's talking. So I was trying to block it out and read the subtitles. I failed miserably :)

I assume the crystal didn't reject Ardyn based on the smearing campaign alone, there must have been something wrong about him even then?

theofficefan99

Can we discuss how the ring had so much build-up and it ended up being pretty much completely useless?

EDIT: Nevermind I totally forgot some things lol

it's disappointing gameplay-wise though :p

Ishida

Banned
I assume the crystal didn't reject Ardyn based on the smearing campaign alone, there must have been something wrong about him even then?

Hard to tell, because we either believe Ardyn or Bahamut. And we both know they are kind of jerks.

Bahamut says that Ardyn was denied ascension because his soul had been tainted by the Daemons he absorbed. He was not pure enough.

Ardyn however, says that that Izunia (The guy who the Crystal chose to be King instead of him) started badmouthing him and "made a true monster out of him" in the minds of the masses.

LordKasual

Banned
Hard to tell, because we either believe Ardyn or Bahamut. And we both know they are kind of jerks.

Bahamut says that Ardyn was denied ascension because his soul had been tainted by the Daemons he absorbed. He was not pure enough.

Ardyn however, says that that Izunia (The guy who the Crystal chose to be King instead of him) started badmouthing him and "made a true monster out of him" in the minds of the masses.

I just assumed that both events happened. He absorbed the demons, the gods denied him, and then the usurper smeared him.

Falk

that puzzling face
It would have been less depressing if we'd have seen other people at Noctis and Luna's wedding IMO (kinda FFIV and FFIX style except in the afterlife). Hell, a redeemed Ardyn could even have been there, kinda like how Garland is redeemed at the end of FF1.

Can you imagine a shaved Ardyn? :eek:

noctis goes to visit ardyn at the hospital to shake hands

I know the problem I had with the Bahamut scene, the entire time I was thinking how bad the sound mixing was because Noctis' groaning and struggling was loader then Bahamut's talking. So I was trying to block it out and read the subtitles. I failed miserably :)

You too? I think this was actually during Ardyn talking, but yeah I could not hear anything Ardyn was saying over Noctis' incredibly loud struggling sounds. And it was key story information!

Mediking

Bahumut makes it clear that the whole situation is a suicide mission. Blood must be paid for all the demons to go away and daylight to reappear.

Noctis. Is/was. Doomed.

Luna. Is/was. Doomed.

You're playing as a guy with the only friends he has. Prompto, Ignis, and Gladio are ALL HE HAS. You're creating memories among heavy forces pushing you to your death.

Noctis fought with his destiny. He didn't wanna put on the Ring because he knew that would be accepting that his dad died and that he would be truly doomed.

The game hits you with all that stuff hard. Seriously. Play the game again but this time you know Noctis is doomed. He's not walking out alive. Neither is Luna.

I'm still emotional. I did NOT see this coming from all the marketing this game has done.

vareon

If you only take main quests, you really only travel with bros for a rather short time before the timeskip, so the entire ending felt nowhere near impactful. If you skip all sidequests, the game is about a prince having to travel with three really annoying people to his own wedding (and failed that, too).

Mediking

If you only take main quests, you really only travel with bros for a rather short time before the timeskip, so the entire ending felt nowhere near impactful. If you skip all sidequests, the game is about a prince having to travel with three really annoying people to his own wedding (and failed that, too).

So you're HONESTLY gonna tell me that you didn't feel sad when Prompto asks you to choose one photo from the album to take with you before you fight Ardyn and die????

You should've been scrolling through memories....

theofficefan99

Okay so does anyone else think Aranea is Bahamut, or a messenger of Bahamut or something?

Otherwise those close-ups of Bahamut's feminine eye don't make much sense.

I think it's plausible.

The fact that there's 24 "messengers" or something makes me feel like she might be an extension of him or something.

jackdoe

Yeah, you pretty much miss out on 80% of character development if you did that. They probably should have implemented a mandatory requirement to complete x number of sidequests to proceed with the main story.

Mediking

Okay so does anyone else think Aranea is Bahamut, or a messenger of Bahamut or something?

Otherwise those close-ups of Bahamut's feminine eye don't make much sense.

I think it's plausible.

The fact that there's 24 "messengers" or something makes me feel like she might be an extension of him or something.

!!!!! Hahahaha I noticed that Bahumut had.... strong eyelashes too. But that's a guy. Lol

Aranea.... Cindy... Iris.... those three should've been at Hammerhead at the end. Now that was a missed opportunity!!!!

theofficefan99

!!!!! Hahahaha I noticed that Bahumut had.... strong eyelashes too. But that's a guy. Lol

Aranea.... Cindy... Iris.... those three should've been at Hammerhead at the end. Now that was a missed opportunity!!!!

I think the strategy guide states that Bahamut is genderless or something.

And I don't think it really matters. Umbra and Pryna are extensions of Shiva, and Umbra is male.

Mediking

I think the strategy guide states that Bahamut is genderless or something.

And I don't think it really matters. Umbra and Pryna are extensions of Shiva, and Umbra is male.

Gentiana turning into Shiva was total sex. Best Summon. Best reveal.

But... the dogs are a part of Gentiana??????

So now there's a theory going around that evil Ardyn wasn't just defeated but erased from history, hence the repeat of the game's introduction during the ending: this time the bros are on their trip but things won't go bad for Insomnia and them.

Top Bottom