• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Did FFXIII's demo have English dub? Because my expectations for the XV demo is that it'll be Japanese dub even for the demo. It's not like we're going to see any story cutscenes or anything major on that demo

I don't think there was an English demo. The demo was only available with the limited release of ACC FFVII for Japan. Til this day, I still think that SE knew they goofed with XIII's patched together corridors and tried to hide this fact during the marketing stages. Th trailers were all edited to focus on battles and plot. Rarely did we actually get a walkthrough of what an average playthrough would look like. This obviously changed with XIII-2 and LR, where they demo-ed what gameplay was like, using specific missions and areas. A lot of XIII looked like it was put together in the last min, especially the weapons and accessories system.

I think Toriyama and SE did make a change and became more honest and open about what their game was going to play like, even though there was a lot of PR talk going on.

Falk

that puzzling face
- No indication that music production has already started. (TGS trailer theme was recorded especially for the trailer by VGO on August 26) Stage demo used the really old battle music from years ago once the combat kicks in.

You realize games tend to record soundtracks at the end of the cycle and it takes no more than a month at that point to wrap production, right?

KupoNut

You realize games tend to record soundtracks at the end of the cycle and it takes no more than a month at that point to wrap production, right?

Well, I'm horrible on time frames and those things, guess you're right. One month also for recording a 4 disc soundtrack?

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, I'm horrible on time frames and those things, guess you're right. One month also for recording a 4 disc soundtrack?

We're talking about the actual recording process. Typically you'd have composition->orchestration/arrangement->recording->mixing/production.

Recording large ensembles involves getting a shit ton of players, booking studio time, possible rehearsals, etc, and is usually the most expensive part of the whole deal. You want to be absolutely sure that you aren't wasting any time during the sessions so you want to be 100% sure you aren't recording anything you don't need, which is why it's done right at the end so that you aren't recording stuff that might end up in a slashed cutscene if the pacing is off, for example. Or on the flipside, if you realize you actually need like 2 more cues recorded which would mean booking another session just for some leftovers.

And yeah, after that point typically production generally shouldn't take more than a month. Don't forget (as far as Japanese games still go, anyway) that soundtracks aren't wall-to-wall orchestral too. Simpler things like solo instruments or piano can be tracked in much smaller bite sizes.

(For what it's worth, as a more concrete recent example KH2.5 was 2 days of string recordings on our end, 50+ tracks. Production subsequently took ~4 weeks. Lightning Returns which is a little further back similarly took about a month after the sessions to fully wrap up)

Well, it's mainly the command menu that has changed. In KH you could select commands from the lower left menu, but in XV the lower left menu shows a log of what actions are being performed rather than a command selection.

You can also try watching this if it helps you understand it better - http://youtu.be/4LKRP32UlGw

Thank your for the explanation and the video. It helped a little. So the battle is not even command based anymore? I guess that makes more sense to me, with the real-time battle system. I probably prefer that to Command + Real-time. It doesn't change the fact that you still got an AI party doing lots of stuff around you. I wish that would be gone, too.

Golnei

I can't see Troy playing Prompto, anyway. How old are these dudes? I forget.

The FFXV characters? We only have a concrete age for Cor (42), but by series standards, I'm expecting Prompto, Noctis, Gladiolus and Ignis to be 16 at minimum and 20 at maximum.

Squire

Banned
Character switching kinda has to be in. It's FF, not Persona 3. How weird would it be of you couldn't get skills for characters who explicitly it vaguely for into one of the classic classes and then make use of those skills in combat as you see fit? Party control simply must be in, and I don't mean gambits. Not having it would be a huge drawback and they'd get slammed for it from all angles.

Now that I've snapped back into reality, how worrying is it that after giving them a bit more than a year to get ready after their failed reveal from E3 last year there's:

- No sign of any English voice acting for FFXV.
- No release window for Japan
- No indication that music production has already started. (TGS trailer theme was recorded especially for the trailer by VGO on August 26) Stage demo used the really old battle music from years ago once the combat kicks in.
- Limited amount of areas and enemies shown in the trailer/gameplay demo.
- Still very tight-lipped and general confusion about the Episode Duscae statements among Square Japan and Europe.

I expected them to be more... ready at TGS, but it still seems they have a lot of work to do.

Yoko Shimomura tweeted about the TGS trailer. That music is new.

FFXV being at Jump Fiesta + demo in March makes me confident of a 2015 launch in JP.

Yeah, I'm reading between the likes to assume that is indeed the goal. No later than 2016, I think.

The FFXV characters? We only have a concrete age for Cor (42), but by series standards, I'm expecting Prompto, Noctis, Gladiolus and Ignis to be 16 at minimum and 20 at maximum.

No way in hell thsoe guys are 16... I think even 20 would be too young. I think most games in the series have the characters in their early 20s and this looks the same.

Golnei

No way in hell thsoe guys are 16... I think even 20 would be too young. I think most games in the series have the characters in their early 20s and this looks the same.

In terms of lead characters, the oldest in the entire FF series is Lightning at 21. Firion, Cecil, Bartz, Terra, Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Tidus and Vaan all fall within the 16-20 range. Since the main party are said to be childhood friends of Noctis, I'm expecting their ages to align closely to his.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Prompto can be a 1000 year old crackhead for all the difference age makes in JRPGs.

In terms of lead characters, the oldest in the entire FF series is Lightning at 21. Firion, Cecil, Bartz, Terra, Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Tidus and Vaan all fall within the 16-20 range. Since the main party are said to be childhood friends of Noctis, I'm expecting their ages to align closely to his.

Wow. Those ages, especially for the 16-bit games are non-sensical to me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Confirmation you can fight the adamantoise in the trailer. Holy crap. I can't help but wonder what end game material it drops. Adamant x4

Ishida

Banned
Confirmation you can fight the adamantoise in the trailer. Holy crap. I can't help but wonder what end game material it drops. Adamant x4

When you defeat the Adamantoise, your characters' testicles grow tenfold and are actually visible in the in-game models.

Squire

Banned
Really? They're all supposed to be coming of age stories of a sort.

There's more to it than that though. Cecil is the highly respected captain of a Royal Air Force, for instance. That guy shouldn't be under 30 years old, realistically.

wmlk

He was right with FFXV,KH3 and Dragon Quest appearing on Playstation. He did get the Yakuza localisation thing wrong though but I trust him.

Everyone could have predicted FFXV and KH3. He also said something about a PS4 Kingdom Hearts that's not KH3 to be released in 2014.

A lot of it seem like logical assumptions, but I can't declare that he doesn't know anything. It's okay to doubt him.

Falk

that puzzling face
Everyone could have predicted FFXV and KH3. He also said something about a PS4 Kingdom Hearts that's not KH3 to be released in 2014.

A lot of it seem like logical assumptions, but I can't declare that he doesn't know anything. It's okay to doubt him.

I don't like his avatar.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Let's guess the English cast.

Nolan North is definitely going to be Zell-2. I could see Troy Baker being Cor.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hopefully they aren't writing lots of "..." and "Stella/Luna..." "Noctis..." "Uguu~..." into the script!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Let's guess the English cast.

Nolan North is definitely going to be Zell-2. I could see Troy Baker being Cor.
They should just cast the Game of Thrones cast as VA for this game, in fact I'll do it:

Noctis - Richard Madden aka Robb Stark

Prompto - Alfie Allen aka Theon Greyjoy

Gladiolus - Rory McCann aka The Hound

Ignis - Kit Harrington aka Jon Snow

Stella/Luna - Emilia Clarke aka Daenerys

Cor - Iain Glen aka Jorah Mormont

Regis - Sean Bean aka Ned Stark

Idola - Charles Dance aka Tywin Lannister

My only issue with this is that I still want to cast Dinklage and Pedro Pascal. Though there still are a bunch of unnamed characters. XP

Top Bottom