• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV: The English Voice Cast

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
To me it's not better and they always overact. Like I said. To me I just perfer to watch it in a language I understand.
This is another thing that gets reiterated a lot from Japan Gaf. Japanese performances aren't any better than the English versions in anime and games. But is perceived as better by people who don't understand the language. 😅

- J - D -

Probably. I got so used to Bat Noct after 10 hours of Duscae that I found it disconcerting when they warmed up his timbre and jumped him an octave. As long as the acting is halfway competent, I think most people will adjust OK, even if it doesn't match their initial ideal.

I don't mind Noctis at all, actually. It's really Prompto and Ignis that grate on me. Prompto's incidental dialogue popping up during gameplay is the worst.

Soooo, looks like Luna's trident is one of the 13 weapons Noctis has to collect.
Screenshot_2016_08_22_at_5_32_32_PM.png

Crossing Eden

They're using Coleman camping products in this complete fantasy world?
Fantasy based on reality. The main cast is wearing designer clothes from a fashion company as well. I'm sure if they could they'd include more stuff as well, like Pepsi and cup noodles

Ishida

Banned
It looks so good with all the weapons!
Can't wait to play as OP Noctis.
I wonder if some of the Royal Weapons will be completely optional.

Damn. Seems like Noctis will end up being up there with the most powerful protagonists in the franchise.

Setsu00

Um? Explain that again.

Let's assume that for a second that you don't know Japanese. If you listen to a Japanese audio snippet as someone without any knowledge of the Japanese language, the only thing that reaches you through the language barrier is the sound of the voice, but never the actual content of the message. Take a random YouTube video of your choice in a language that you don't know and try to transcribe what you just heard. Chances are that end up with meaningless gibberish. You probably won't even be able to properly identify the breaks between two words.

This means for video games and other media that rely on spoken language like movies that you will only be able to judge the actor's acting skills. The words (or rather, the writing) cannot cloud your perception of what you just heard as you simply don't understand it. However, if you do know the language, you get the full package: Acting and writing. The acting can be better than the writing and vice versa, but one factor will influence your opinion of the other one.

The scene with Noctis in the tombs with Cor that is also shown in this trailer is great example of that. Tatsuhisa Suzuki and Ray Chase sound incredibly alike in this scene, and yet I consider Ray Chase's performance inferior due to the writing as I understand English a lot better than I understand Japanese. Based on this little scene I'd say that Suzuki and Chase are equally skilled voice actors, but Chase's performance suffers from my knowledge of the English language. Once you are able to identify bad writing, even the best vocal performance collapses.

Merceeeer, so glad Cor really was him. (I just thought I''d been going mad from McCree/Overwatch when the 50min vid was released.) Great to know Kari Wahlgren is playing Aranea, she's always fantastic. Loooove Luna's English VA, and I still don't mind Regis' and Arydn's. I think Ignis and Gladio are the weakest of the group, which is a shame, as Ignis' VA sounds fantastic when he's speaking naturally. Parsons does a fantastic, dynamic job in OW as Junkrat, so I'm really surprised stilted Gladio comes out of the same person. The dialogue in the localisation still sounds so bizarrely clunky, I'm still really baffled how unnatural it all sounds. It all just feels like the localised script equivalent of Steve Buscemi's 'how do yo do, fellow kids?' It's creepy.

sensui-tomo

This is another thing that gets reiterated a lot from Japan Gaf. Japanese performances aren't any better than the English versions in anime and games. But is perceived as better by people who don't understand the language. ��

yup, cant argue with this statement. Hell there are multiple times where anime dubs are better than their original cast ( Yu yu hakusho, cowboy bebop, big o, baccano!!!, and others) Also cant wait to hear the "Its the original version the creators had in mind" argument to come up. Hell that argument gets thrown down the shitter when we use it in other aspects of games ( Fire Emblem Fates anyone) .

Crossing Eden

If you put it that way it sounds funny hahahaha.
"But sir, our ancient traditions!"

Let's assume that for a second that you don't know Japanese. If you listen to a Japanese audio snippet as someone without any knowledge of the Japanese language, the only thing that reaches you through the language barrier is the sound of the voice, but never the actual content of the message. Take a random YouTube video of your choice in a language that you don't know and try to transcribe what you just heard. Chances are that end up with meaningless gibberish. You probably won't even be able to properly identify the breaks between two words.

This means for video games and other media that rely on spoken language like movies that you will only be able to judge the actor's acting skills. The words (or rather, the writing) cannot cloud your perception of what you just heard as you simply don't understand it. However, if you do know the language, you get the full package: Acting and writing. The acting can be better than the writing and vice versa, but one factor will influence your opinion of the other one.

The scene with Noctis in the tombs with Cor that is also shown in this trailer is great example of that. Tatsuhisa Suzuki and Ray Chase sound incredibly alike in this scene, and yet I consider Ray Chase's performance inferior due to the writing as I understand English a lot better than I understand Japanese. Based on this little scene I'd say that Suzuki and Chase are equally skilled voice actors, but Chase's performance suffers from my knowledge of the English language. Once you are able to identify bad writing, even the best vocal performance collapses.
Well put.

Matt Mercer - because we blew all of our budget on a CGI movie so we couldn't avoid Troy Baker (I'm joking. Matt Mercer is mostly great!)

It'll actually be nice for me to see Mercer in a role that wasn't previously occupied by Troy Baker. Voice Cast seems fine, honestly. The script could use some tweaking but I'm sure it's far too late for that.

Feels like Final Fantasy to me! Better VA than parts of FFXIV XD

Well, that was surprisingly good.

Liked how they talked about their characters, they seem interesting and complex, I'm tired of cardbox personalities. And Ardyn is totally gonna be the bad guy, isn't he? He has that "backdoor shady deals" look that is super intriguing.

suzu

Oh, Matthew Mercer is voicing Cor. I knew he sounded familiar. :D

I'll probably play it in mostly English, even though I like the JP cast... Keiji Fujiwara ahhh.

What is this FF 5, 4?
What are you trying to show me?
I've never played them before.

Oh, just noting some nice callback to FF5. Bartz and co. had to collect a set ancient legendary weapons, one of each type (although there were 12 of them, not 13, and they belonged to a group of heroes rather than a line of kings).

Mediking

I think.... I understand.... might not fully agree but I think I get what you're saying....

In my opinion, Japanese Noctis is king then English Episode Duscae Noctis then new Noctis.

True king is Brotherhood Noctis then game Noctis.

I'm half joking and half being serious. Hahah.

Jfc look at all these people complaining about animations and mannerism of characters in a Japanese game being too animu while sporting their animu avatars and Japanese usernames.

It's a game who gives a shit.

Crossing Eden

Jfc look at all these people complaining about animations and mannerism of characters in a Japanese game being too animu while sporting their animu avatars and Japanese usernames.

It's a game who gives a shit.
I was the one who brought up the complaints in the first place and unless Storks is animu I don't think you can really make this generilzation.

Top Bottom