• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Nobody likes the Queen, not even King Elwin. Joshua was about to swing on that bitch...
giphy.gif

R.a8b4523fc6111395a8bb92b008ed72c9

Last edited:
Funny how other games that came out this year got a real slating because of performance, but this gets a free pass? Sounds like bollocks to me

Most games that got a real slating for performance did not have a solid mode to play period. Even the 30 fps modes had framerate issues. Or a recent example of a game that was previously advertised as having a 60 fps mode with marketing footage showing it but ended up having to drop the mode entirely.

That's not the case with Final Fantasy. The 30 fps mode is rock solid.

You know what sounds like bullocks free pass?

Your post here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/starfield-30fps-cap-“not-a-sign-it’s-unfinished”-claims-god-of-war-ragnarok-dev.1657798/post-268068319

Last edited:

Boneless

On my 2nd play through, this time in Graphics mode. So far, I think this is the way it's meant to be played. Everything looks beautiful and the combat feels perfect.

I might also go for quality, havent played the demo yet but think stable 30 should be fine.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
Finally got around to playing the demo today. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about this game. I’ve never seen a video, screenshot, or anything in print. I did the same with Final Fantasy XV and got burned. That was one the worst games I have played in my life. Disappointment far greater than No Man’s Sky or The Order 18whatever. I figured FF16 was a no-go, but I was curious. By the time I finished the demo, I wished the full game had been released yesterday.

This is how a Final Fantasy game should feel. No bullshit driving around in a car, looking for cats and such. No need to watch an entire theatrical release just to understand a fraction of the plot. No open world filler. FF16 seems to give us the story and game all right from the start. I don’t know how the full game will play out, but I have played some PS1 RPGs lately, and the beginning here is right up there with other great beginnings like FF7 and Xenogears.

Teslerum

Finally got around to playing the demo today. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about this game. I’ve never seen a video, screenshot, or anything in print. I did the same with Final Fantasy XV and got burned. That was one the worst games I have played in my life. Disappointment far greater than No Man’s Sky or The Order 18whatever. I figured FF16 was a no-go, but I was curious. By the time I finished the demo, I wished the full game had been released yesterday.

This is how a Final Fantasy game should feel. No bullshit driving around in a car, looking for cats and such. No need to watch an entire theatrical release just to understand a fraction of the plot. No open world filler. FF16 seems to give us the story and game all right from the start. I don’t know how the full game will play out, but I have played some PS1 RPGs lately, and the beginning here is right up there with other great beginnings like FF7 and Xenogears.
Completely different team and divsion than 15. Lots of the development team worked on the Ivalice games. 2 of them (Writer and Art Director) were on the original FF: Tactics which is the most similiar FF game to this in tone.

Last edited:

sachos

In the final battle i was dropping way below 30 fps, it felt like 10 fps at points. Was my PS5 (4 days new) overheating or something? Or is everyone else getting those massive drops too? Played on Quality Mode.

reinking

Gold Member
In the final battle i was dropping way below 30 fps, it felt like 10 fps at points. Was my PS5 (4 days new) overheating or something? Or is everyone else getting those massive drops too? Played on Quality Mode.
I did not notice significant drops but it could be me. I had it in FPS mode.

I might not have the time to commit to it right now but the game is gorgeous.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
They already confirmed that the lip sync is English, but I did a video showing how the English and Japanese voice overs look, and comparing the voice acting.

I prefer the Japanese voices for Lord Murdoch and Joshua, Clive is good either way, and Jill is better in English. I played through both ways and even though I like the Japanese dub slightly more, I don’t know if I’ll be able to play 50hrs+ with the voices being offset with the lip sync. That means I’ll probably go for English(no subs).

Man I didn’t even see this Eikon challenge til today - WOW. I love it. The whole thing, the powers are awesome - feels distinctly Final Fantasy to me as well. This with what appears to be a genuinely good story - I can’t wait.

I’m playing 30 FPS, feels totally solid don’t notice a problem at all, it’s a good 30 FPS unlike demon souls - and I am playing on an OLED so,..

Minsc

Gold Member
Most games that got a real slating for performance did not have a solid mode to play period. Even the 30 fps modes had framerate issues. Or a recent example of a game that was previously advertised as having a 60 fps mode with marketing footage showing it but ended up having to drop the mode entirely.

That's not the case with Final Fantasy. The 30 fps mode is rock solid.

You know what sounds like bullocks free pass?

Your post here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/starfield-30fps-cap-“not-a-sign-it’s-unfinished”-claims-god-of-war-ragnarok-dev.1657798/post-268068319

30 fps mode looks like complete shit on my TV. 1 - the motion blur is awful, 2 the smoothness in panning the camera in a fast 360 looks really choppy. Performance is playable, quality is not.

Boss Man

Anime Game of Thrones that plays like God of War with worse combat but better lore and cinematics. I'm in.

New combat is a great direction for the series and better than any other Final Fantasy game for sure, but judged on its own it just felt like a spammy action game nothing special. I was super impressed by the overall package though, wasn't planning to buy it day 1 but I am now after the demo.

Also, first game that I've preferred in graphics mode.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Must be your TV then, because I have none of those problems on mine

It's a Samsung Q90T, rtings scores it very well for gaming (8.7):

It's feature-rich, and it delivers stunning picture quality in nearly every type of content. Its simple and elegant design should fit easily into any room, and it performs well in both dark or bright environments. Motion handling is superb thanks to its incredibly fast response time and Black Frame Insertion feature, and gamers should be pleased with its exceptionally low input lag and FreeSync support. HDR content is delivered with vibrant colors and bright highlights, as it has an impressive color gamut and high peak brightness

I also don't know how anyone could find the motion blur this game uses on quality good, it looks horrible in fast motion scenes, I can literally see the blurred motion in still frames as it animates it.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Anime Game of Thrones that plays like God of War with worse combat but better lore and cinematics. I'm in.

New combat is a great direction for the series and better than any other Final Fantasy game for sure, but judged on its own it just felt like a spammy action game nothing special. I was super impressed by the overall package though, wasn't planning to buy it day 1 but I am now after the demo.

Also, first game that I've preferred in graphics mode.
I have this friend that thinks Heavenly Sword has the best combat in any action game he has played. And this one that played SOTC not knowing that you could increase health by eating fruits. So surely anything is possible.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This kinda fud is unnecessary. We aren't stupid, and I am sure neither are you. Please, look at the very videos you provided.

In quality mode, the game 99% of the time is locked to 30fps. A drop here or there is not the norm. And in performance mode, while its clear that fps sits between 40-60fps, its also clear that the second you get into combat, it locks to 60fps. All that is in the videos you have provided here.

That you even mentioned redfall in relation to this is crazy if you ask me, as that game didn't just have bad performance but it was broken in every imaginable way. Which is why people piss on it. And the Starfield reference, understand this, this game at least has a 60fps mode. And furthermore, people's issue with Starfield wasn't even that it only has a 30fps mode per se...but it's because of the PR fud MS is pushing to suggest that that had nothing to do with the hardware and how they have other games that run at 60fp like we were born yesterday.

Its often in the 50s fighting the dragoon...

This performance shouldn't be defended.

Double standards for this game is pretty rank and its all over the Internet. This game is OK to have poor frame rate...

They said it was 4k 30 it's actually 1440p and below for 30fps.

They said 1440p for performance and it drops to below 1080p and goes BELOW 24 FPS in eikon fights...

That is absolutely insane, yet there is only a few people calling this out and the rest is some strange circle jerk.

I've never seen so many posts and YouTube videos heralding a game, game of the year before it's even launched or any idea of what state its in. Even some podcasts that are heavy PS like Tim Gettys at kinda funny saying it will be his game of the year...how can people say that from a demo that has like 30 minutes of actual game play time?

It's really weird, like paid shilled content or something.

Strange as fuck.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Double standards for this game is pretty rank and its all over the Internet. This game is OK to have poor frame rate...

They said 1440p for performance and it drops to below 1080p and goes BELOW 24 FPS in eikon fights...

That is absolutely insane, yet there is only a few people calling this out and the rest is some strange circle jerk.

I've never seen so many posts and YouTube videos heralding a game, game of the year before it's even launched or any idea of what state its in. Even some podcasts that are heavy PS like Tim Gettys at kinda funny saying it will be his game of the year...how can people say that from a demo that has like 30 minutes of actual game play time?

Strange as fuck.
Y Fromsoft get a pass, y Zelda games get a pass and a FF game cant get a pass ?

Like souls games or zelda games, ppl are waiting for a good FF for 20years, if that means 1440p@30fps or a performance mode like Elden Ring i m more then happy to give this game a pass.

If the game is good ppl dont give a shit about performance.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Y Fromsoft get a pass, y Zelda games get a pass and a FF game cant get a pass ?

Like souls games or zelda games, ppl are waiting for a good FF for 20years, if that means 1440p@30fps or a performance mode like Elden Ring i m more then happy to give this game a pass.

If the game is good ppl dont give a shit about performance.
Was elden ring dropping below 30fps in its performance mode?

No where near close to drops like that.

Lokaum D+

They already said a patch ll come, is more then Fromsoft or Nintendo does on their games.

U guys are being overly criticizing a game based on a Demo that is running an old build.

Lets wait for the release and DF review.

Like i sad, its an old build demo that runs better then full released games like Redfall for exemple, u guys need to chill a bit and stop complaining just for the sake of it.

* and the only way to date to play elden ring locked at 60fps on consoles is playing the PS4 game on a PS5

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Elden Ring had issues ranging from stutter to substantial frame rate fluctuations to motion blur glitching. IIRC PS4(Pro?) version on PS5 and Steam Deck were the only ways to play without major issue on console and PC respectively around launch. That’s the game of the gen.
—-
It’s inaccurate for people to say that nobody has brought performance issues up. Even in this thread before certain elements started freaking out it was brought up many times. The thing is, like Elden Ring, FFXVI is amazing and there’s 2 modes, so people have been able to settle on something that works for them. The devs have already said they’re working on a motion blur toggle for Graphics mode, and frame rate fixes for both modes. If people are unhappy after playing the 3hr demo, they can wait for fixes or the PC version.

The game is more than playable and I have no issue playing it at launch.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Strange as fuck.
Now this is borderline hypocrisy.

They said 4K30... but we a know that would be using reconstruction, as is what everyone is doing. So why is it an issue now?

And GOTY ast yearwas EdenRing.... You need me to tell you how janky the performance of that game was? Compared to that this one is perfect.

And again, this one has two modes,a 30 and 60fps mode. Yes, the 60 mode needs work..but the 30fps mode is there and ok. Why is it ok for everything else to have a 30fps mode only then this game that even gives the option for both is somehow supposed to be chastised? They are doing exactly what I have been saying is the minimum I expect from Devs, give a 30 and 60fps mode. That they are even talking about its fps before launch and saying they will address it is by far o than most devs even do these days. FS is still yet to fix the fps in any of the numerous modes elden ring has. Redfall literally advertised a 60fps mode and totally axed that from the final game...

Pls, dont talk like this game is just as bad as the worst offenders here. You talk about drops below 30 in performance mode as if that's the norm...or as if they won't fix it or can't fix it. Relax. That was a fucking demo... let the game release, let it not be fixed.. then you can start saying all this.

And I don't know about people calling it their GOTY now, but I am sure a lot of them have played or are paying the full game as we speak.

Last edited:

Strange as fuck.
The demo they just dropped is better than a lot of full games that have come out in the past few years. From what people that have the full game are saying, this is going to be a classic. Also the same game of the year conversation was done with Tears of the Kingdom, and is being done with Starfield right now.
My biggest concern was addressed by Yoshi P during their recent live stream. I was worried that there was no way the rest of the story could be as good as what we got in the demo and it would fall off considerably. According to them the game is not front loaded and we still haven't seen anything yet.
As far as performance my current game of the year is Tears of the Kingdom which has pretty glaring performance and hardware issues, last year I put over 200 hours into Elden Ring PS5 and that had performance issues as well.

That speaks volumes.

Edit
Whether this scores high or low people are going to be salty as fuck about this games reviews.

Last edited:

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
I really wish they just had hard mode unlocked from the start for the full release, it's too damn easy on normal for me. Unequipped all accessories in the Eikonic Challenge too. The game is going to be long and I likely won't want to jump directly back into it after the first play through.

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
After playing it a second time... in that final cutscene with the Duchess where she spares Clive's life, she starts to walk away with her hand maidens and as the camera pulls out, a couple soldiers just straight up kill them as they're walking away with her. Like wtf? Lol, what's the explanation for that? I mean they are her servants that are already basically enslaved to her and pose no threat, so... why? I really hope that there's some deeper reason than just "evil bad lady".

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They already confirmed that the lip sync is English, but I did a video showing how the English and Japanese voice overs look, and comparing the voice acting.

I wonder why they've decided not to include Japanese lip sync (if it's even exists):pie_thinking:
Hopefully they'll add it in via future patch. I mean, I'm not against English VO tbh, but I always play JRPGs with Japanese VO cuz it's always better, way more emotional and believable than English VO.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
After playing it a second time... in that final cutscene with the Duchess where she spares Clive's life, she starts to walk away with her hand maidens and as the camera pulls out, a couple soldiers just straight up kill them as they're walking away with her. Like wtf? Lol, what's the explanation for that? I mean they are her servants that are already basically enslaved to her and pose no threat, so... why? I really hope that there's some deeper reason than just "evil bad lady".
I'd say the issue is not so much that she killed them, but more that she went there with them in the first place and they weren't long dead already. It does end up coming off as just an attempt to paint "evil bad lady".

Last edited:

NeoLed

I wonder why they've decided not to include Japanese lip sync (if it's even exists):pie_thinking:
Hopefully they'll add it in via future patch. I mean, I'm not against English VO tbh, but I always play JRPGs with Japanese VO cuz it's always better, way more emotional and believable than English VO.
The motion capture actors were English speaker. They don't have Japanese recorded lip-sync. They've tried AI, but the result were bad so they scrapped it

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
I'd say the issue is not so much that she killed them, but more that she went there with them in the first place and they weren't long dead already. It does end up coming off as just an attempt to paint "evil bad lady".
Exactly, they would have been killed off in the attack already if they were considered to be untrustworthy. I'm gonna end being pretty critical of the story and characters in this, I can already tell.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Exactly, they would have been killed off in the attack already if they were considered to be untrustworthy. I'm gonna end being pretty critical of the story and characters in this, I can already tell.
Honestly, i think you should tackle this as those cheesy types of dark stories rather than something to actually take serious. You'll probably enjoy it more that way

It might be very polished, but citing it as 'the most polished' seems a bit of an exaggeration and recency bias. HiFi Rush launched in January with no performance issues on consoles and, shockingly, no shader comp stutters on the PC version.
Hi fi rush doesn’t seem to me to be nearly as graphically demanding as like most cutting edge games like this tho?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hi fi rush doesn’t seem to me to be nearly as graphically demanding as like most cutting edge games like this tho?

It's art over tech but more importantly it was a big console / PC release which launched without any performance issue on all the platforms it came out on.

RE4 remake also had minimal issues on day 1. Minor connection issues aside, Diablo 4 has also had a pretty solid launch with only the PC version showing issues if you try to use Ultra textures on cards below 16GB GPUs.

No disrespect to FF16, it looks tremendously polished and Square's most confident game in a while, but John's statement is a bit blasé

Last edited:
Top Bottom