• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Also likes from James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford on anyone who comments on this games frame rate, has made over hundreds of comments about framerate recently... sort your priorities out, mate. What a joke haha

What is a joke is your reading comprehension. I have no problem with games targeting a 30 fps mode. I prefer that mode in most of my games if the game play isn’t negatively impacted. FF16 has no Framerate issues in quality mode.

What I do have an issue with is the developers misrepresenting their games, advertising and showing them off as 60fps, then dropping the mode altogether, or claiming that a 60fps mode is impossible due to XYZ reason that is nonsensical. Just be honest and upfront. Apparently that’s too hard for certain devs.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No he’s not

Top to bottom this year almost every AAA release has had some significant issue needing a patch.

RE4, Hogwarts, Zelda even Diablo 4 have had pretty good launches which did not require significant issues to be patched. Even Dead Space remakes biggest issue was VRS removal, the games performance profile was pristine from launch.

Again, my only "issue" with him saying it is when he implies that even with the 40~60 FPS performance, it will be the most polished, I just don't think that's correct.

Last edited:
RE4, Hogwarts, Zelda even Diablo 4 have had pretty good launches which did not require significant issues to be patched. Even Dead Space remakes biggest issue was VRS removal, the games performance profile was pristine from launch.

Again, my only "issue" with him saying it is when he implies that even with the 40~60 FPS performance, it will be the most polished, I just don't think that's correct.

RE4, Hogwarts, etc. ALL HAD ISSUES WITH EVEN THE QUALITY MODE.

There was no mode that didn't require a significant patch. RE4R looked extremely blurry until they patched it, AND it had some pretty severe areas of framerate drops in quality mode. Hogwarts ran at like 20fps in sections pretty substantially for extended periods of time in congested areas.

FF16 in its quality mode has none of these issues. It's absolutely rock solid with great image quality and motion blur that makes it feel extremely smooth to play.

So yes, I think we can say that the intended mode to play does appear to have an extreme level of polish not found on MOST modes of AAA games this year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
RE4, Hogwarts, etc. ALL HAD ISSUES WITH EVEN THE QUALITY MODE.

There was no mode that didn't require a significant patch. RE4R looked extremely blurry until they patched it, AND it had some pretty severe areas of framerate drops in quality mode. Hogwarts ran at like 20fps in sections pretty substantially for extended periods of time in congested areas.

FF16 in its quality mode has none of these issues. It's absolutely rock solid with great image quality and motion blur that makes it feel extremely smooth to play.

So yes, I think we can say that the intended mode to play does appear to have an extreme level of polish not found on MOST modes of AAA games this year.

Ok this is being drawn out more, i'll just make one final comment on this.

RE4 did not have the blur issues on Xbox, Hogwarts performance on PS5 was pretty much rock solid. And the poll on GAF (and Era) had more people choose Performance mode as their preferred way of playing the FF16 demo, so there's no way to say which mode is the definitively 'intended' way.

At this point, personally I'm more leaning towards the graphics mode because at least it's consistent and there is no sudden drop in fidelity when entering combat.

RE4 did not have the blur issues on Xbox, Hogwarts performance on PS5 was pretty much rock solid. And the poll on GAF (and Era) had more people choose Performance mode as their preferred way of playing the FF16 demo, so there's no way to say which mode is the definitively 'intended' way.

At this point, personally I'm more leaning towards the graphics mode because at least it's consistent and there is no sudden drop in fidelity when entering combat.

RE4 had controller issues on Xbox, so bad that many people flat out refused to play it. And the patch apparently made the game blurrier? Not all "polishing" issues are down to visuals. It's things like bugs as well.

Hogwarts on PS5 was NOT rock solid. Again, walking around Hogwarts routinely had framerate drops in the low to mid 20s for long periods of time. That was in quality mode for me. Performance mode was much worse in terms of variability

Using a poll isn't illustrative of anything. People vote with their preferred default way to play likely without even playing it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford let's see how this game launches. If the 60fps mode is fixed I'll be over the moon and I agree with you but if it launches anywhere near the state it is in now its basically redundant and probably shouldn't exist.

Saying just play it in rhe 30fps mode is not rhe answer and for me it's more insulting for a dev to have a terribly implemented performance mode than having the balls to say, ylwe decided to not have a 60fps mode because it was too erratic and performance was all over the place.

Sleepwalker

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford let's see how this game launches. If the 60fps mode is fixed I'll be over the moon and I agree with you but if it launches anywhere near the state it is in now its basically redundant and probably shouldn't exist.

Saying just play it in rhe 30fps mode is not rhe answer and for me it's more insulting for a dev to have a terribly implemented performance mode than having the balls to say, ylwe decided to not have a 60fps mode because it was too erratic and performance was all over the place.
No fuck that, every game should have an unlocked framerate mode. That way people wouldn't need to wait for devs to go and retroactively patch games for next gen/pro consoles/whatever. The tech will catch up.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
So...I take you it won't be playing Starfield at all then?

I would prefer the dev to give the option of performance, even if it's not very good at launch, with the expectation that it will improve over time. Just like what happened with HFW.
The moving of goalposts is making my head spin.

Personally, I’ll be enjoying FF16 in graphics mode and giving zero shits about what anybody else thinks.

Sleepwalker

I would prefer the dev to give the option of performance, even if it's not very good at launch, with the expectation that it will improve over time. Just like what happened with HFW.
The moving of goalposts is making my head spin.

Personally, I’ll be enjoying FF16 in graphics mode and giving zero shits about what anybody else thinks.

No, he just doesn't have any honest interest in playing FFXVI, but just can't help it to be concerned like a good citizen:

Nah, I don't want god of war to be an interactive movie thx. Ffxvi is not for me at all.

The only thing god of war needs now is scale.

Makes me doubt this industry massively.

Last edited:
The dude from Lost is somehow responsible for half the posts in this thread. You folks enjoy the bickering. I’m excited because I just realized that I don't work Thursday or Friday.

Lokaum D+

Soundtrack seems good but I wonder if it will be as good as FFXV. Say what you will about the game, but some of the songs are among the best:

title song:

prelude:

i cant even remember these songs from my head without playing the videos and i platinumed the game.

i remember that the game had a good OST, but not remarkable

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I have a pc with a 13900KS and a 4090 for games like those, like every other generation. I always had a high end PC because for me I want the frames and fidelity. So yes, Starfield will be a PC game for me.

Boneless

i cant even remember these songs from my head without playing the videos and i platinumed the game.

i remember that the game had a good OST, but not remarkable

Thinking back on it the prelude was not in the game and the title song was only used when the end credits rolled. Such odd decisions were made with that game, they were sitting on gold.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Funny how this thread was hijacked and discussion now solely revolves around the performance. That shouldn’t be allowed in the main OT when it launches. Ruins everything.

As someone who has been complaining about the performance. I 100% agree with you. I would say it would be best to have a separate thread that discusses the performance, if it is poor and leave the main thread to what looks to be a compelling story with amazing music and bombast.

I have a pc with a 13900KS and a 4090 for games like those, like every other generation. I always had a high end PC because for me I want the frames and fidelity. So yes, Starfield will be a PC game for me.
What a pretentious double standards wanker...
Sad Samantha Bee GIF

PS5 is $399 you can wait 6 months for FF16 for PC, why bother complain at all, it's all good. Even better just enough time to get the 14th gen intel flagship CPU to max that double standards experience

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
And yet you are in every PS game thread whining about framerate or graphics.
Why are you doing this?

Just either be patient and wait for pc version or play it as is on ps5 and open yourself to some freaking fun

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What a pretentious double standards wanker...
Sad Samantha Bee GIF

PS5 is $399 you can wait 6 months for FF16 for PC, why complain at all it's all good. Even better just enough time to to get the 14th gen intel flagship CPU to max that double standards experience
He is a console warrior. When people learn to stop engaging with them, they will stop being able to completely derail threads.

Teslerum

Short interjection, but during the PS4 Pro Era and after I've really come to appreciate games that had this mode even if it didn't work as well as it should have. Now on the PS5 even more so.

Like if The Last Guardian would have kept 60fps or made it its own mode, I could have replayed it at a smooth 60. So, there is some value to it.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
As someone who has been complaining about the performance. I 100% agree with you. I would say it would be best to have a separate thread that discusses the performance, if it is poor and leave the main thread to what looks to be a compelling story with amazing music and bombast.
The thing is, if a performance thread is created barely anyone will post in it. Reminds me of the Console War OT that died even when it was in the main forum because the high that the console warriors got relied on hijacking main threads and antagonizing people who were enjoying the games or systems. They would get tons of responses and therefore dopamine hits. When quarantined away from people enjoying the products with likeminded warriors they didn’t get the same high.

The thing is, if a performance thread is created barely anyone will post in it. Reminds me of the Console War OT that died even when it was in the main forum because the high that the console warriors got relied on hijacking main threads and antagonizing people who were enjoying the games or systems. They would get tons of responses and therefore dopamine hits. When quarantined away from people enjoying the products with likeminded warriors they didn’t get the same high.

We do have performance threads for games, they usually come when Digital Foundry posts their analysis. We will get a DF video next week, new thread where we can focus on that topic. They sort of serve as OTs for those aspects

I didnt brag about my PC, he said are you playing starfield on xbox at 30 and I said no...There's a reason I invested so much for a decent PC.

FF16 is in the same boat though. It's coming to PC? Sure, you have to wait for it, which sucks.

But there's also no guarantee we know how Starfield will play on your monster rig either. A monster rig isn't a guarantee for a stable experience.

Anyway, hopefully the day 1 patch improves the 60 fps performance to make it good for those that really do prefer 60 fps play. For me? 30 fps is good enough and I prefer the extra detail.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I didnt brag about my PC, he said are you playing starfield on xbox at 30 and I said no...There's a reason I invested so much for a decent PC.
Not Bragging: “No, I will be playing on my PC at 60 fps.”
Bragging:
No one is fooled, Dench.

Synless

If it dies then you clearly see it’s not important enough a topic for people to discuss.

Teslerum

When is the review embargo? Any non-spoiler impressions from people that have the full game?
The dude who leaks some plot details apparently loves it. Especially the narrative.

While (successfully, aside from obvious stuff) avoiding spoilers an interesting thing I've read is that the game gradually opens up. Like while the prologue was super linear, Clive's 20's give you side quests, more complex maps and so on, and so on, but still guides you pretty frequently due to, for example, closing off areas while story events happen. Then his 30's go full out, opens up the maps, gives you tons of sidequests, make their rewards more relevant, hunts become a thing, etc. etc. He compared it to Witcher 3 at that point even.

Last edited:

It was the developers intended definitive way as performance mode was one of the last things they added. It was touched on recently I think Linneman spoke on it as well.
They more than likely weren't going to include it and supposedly did at the final hour. So it isn't as optimized as the Quality mode and it shows.

TheAssist

Soundtrack seems good but I wonder if it will be as good as FFXV. Say what you will about the game, but some of the songs are among the best:

title song:

prelude:

Every time I listen to the FF 15 soundtrack I think "this is the game they wanted to make". I feel like all their ambitions came through in the music, but they couldnt put it down in the actual gameplay and story department. FF15 is so disappointing to me because it had the potential to be one of the great ones. Honestly, I almost think they should just remake it :D

Sleepwalker

At 1 hour and 8 minute mark theres an interview with the clive VA, its interesting he points out that Koji fox made changes to the japanese script based on the english VA performance, the other VAs were going off of what the english version was doing.

Mr.Phoenix

This thread has turned into pure comedy from both sides.
What do you expect? when some people seem to see sense in comparing gaming experiences between a $399 console and a $1599 GPU. That's just the GPU mind you (still the whole PC to build too), you can literally buy 4 PS5s for the price of that one GPU.

And the people talking about this 60ps mode that at least SE said they would improve.... must not have tried the 60fps modes in Elden Ring.

I don't even want to remind them that the only way to get a locked 60fps in that game on the PS5, was to play the PS4 version of the game instead.

But the real kicker is.... it still is. And that game won GOTY.

And mind you, this is all happening simultaneously with people talking about how its ok that a certain other game doesn't even have a 60fps mode.

Last edited:
That seems to be the mystery here (along with some other questions), her ambivalence towards what happened to Joshua is a huge tonal shift from before, where she was worried about him. Could have been an act before, but if she is actually his mother I somehow doubt that. I think Joshua is still alive. We'll find out soon enough!
I think she values Joshua so much because he's a dominant not because he's her son obviously. She's narcissistic, and sees her ability to give birth to Phoenix as her value. She knows if Joshua dies she can have another, it just gives her less bargaining power if he isn't alive.

I have a feeling she probably made a deal with the empire to either bring Joshua over to them after the betrayal or sleep with the emperor until a new dominant is birthed. The fact Joshua died just makes her plan that much harder to complete, and also gives her less leeway to demand status or something else from the emperor.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think she values Joshua so much because he's a dominant not because he's her son obviously. She's narcissistic, and sees her ability to give birth to Phoenix as her value. She knows if Joshua dies she can have another, it just gives her less bargaining power if he isn't alive.

I have a feeling she probably made a deal with the empire to either bring Joshua over to them after the betrayal or sleep with the emperor until a new dominant is birthed. The fact Joshua died just makes her plan that much harder to complete, and also gives her less leeway to demand status or something else from the emperor.
That Queen is one colossal.......
comedy-central-bitch.gif

Zero would have enjoyed killing her.
19d7c58c60088a7e05a1d2a77346faf4.gif

Last edited:

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member

Could be, but I'm pretty sure the Phoenix comes from the father's side, no?

Top Bottom