• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
It's a Samsung Q90T, rtings scores it very well for gaming (8.7):

I also don't know how anyone could find the motion blur this game uses on quality good, it looks horrible in fast motion scenes, I can literally see the blurred motion in still frames as it animates it.

I’m sure your TV is good overall, but for motion, it isn’t even close to OLED. Rtings tested my LG C9 as having about 15x faster pixel response rate. It is so fast, that the main issue with the TV is that you can see each individual frame so clearly, that low frame rates look choppy. Your slow pixel response probably just smears the game’s motion blur. Modern displays need motion blur at low framerates, or it will appear to stutter.

Have you tried your TV’s BFI?

The game looks completely smooth for me in graphical mode. Frame rate dips very low during specific cutscenes, though.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

How in the world can anyone argue that no one is criticizing the framerate? There are metric tons of posts across multiple threads doing just that, and now we’ve got confirmation that Square is releasing a day-one patch to address it. The discussion has been had, both here and elsewhere, and the devs have taken notice and responded.

For my money: not only is that discussion present here, but it’s been beaten to death. And for a game that’s as sure to be as fascinating, enduring, and, yes, divisive, as any other mainline game in this long-running series, it’s one of the the most tedious, least-interesting topics of conversation I can think of.

Lokaum D+

After playing it a second time... in that final cutscene with the Duchess where she spares Clive's life, she starts to walk away with her hand maidens and as the camera pulls out, a couple soldiers just straight up kill them as they're walking away with her. Like wtf? Lol, what's the explanation for that? I mean they are her servants that are already basically enslaved to her and pose no threat, so... why? I really hope that there's some deeper reason than just "evil bad lady".
At the castle she warned them that if anything else happens to Joshua they would pay with their heads, it was an amazing detail imo that a lot of ppl missed just for not listening NPC dialogue.

Here is the momet

47:55

Last edited:

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
At the castle she warned them that if anything else happens to Joshua they would pay with their heads, it was an amazing detail imo that a lot of ppl missed just for not listening NPC dialogue.

Here is the momet

47:46

I'm not seeing anything at 47:46, was it in a cutscene? Or is it literally NPC dialogue not in a cutscene?

EDIT: Ok found it, it was at 48:00. I do actually recall that but didn't think about it. That's definitely some foreshadowing lol

Last edited:
It might be very polished, but citing it as 'the most polished' seems a bit of an exaggeration and recency bias. HiFi Rush launched in January with no performance issues on consoles and, shockingly, no shader comp stutters on the PC version.

The scale of that game is nothing like FF though, so not really an apt comparison. Of the big AAA games that John has seen, he's probably saying that is the most polished. Which makes sense given the titles that have released this year.

But yeah, HFR is super well polished tho for sure.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I preordered the Digital Standard version from PlayStation.com. The listing says it should be available for preload on the 19th. The countdown timer says 3d:23hr, so I believe that’s June 21st, 9:00PM PST.

P.S.- Rated-M for Blood and Gore, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Strong Language, and Violence.

So it looks like ‘no’ to vagine, but ‘maybe’ to tatas.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Man I didn’t even see this Eikon challenge til today - WOW. I love it. The whole thing, the powers are awesome - feels distinctly Final Fantasy to me as well. This with what appears to be a genuinely good story - I can’t wait.

I’m playing 30 FPS, feels totally solid don’t notice a problem at all, it’s a good 30 FPS unlike demon souls - and I am playing on an OLED so,..
Yep. This is a totally different league of 30fps. No giant input lag. No judder.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
some people are trying to find issue with this game, namely diversity to make the game seem bad.

Honestly, who the fuck cares, even as a non-white, i sure as hell don’t look for it in a game.

Go_Ly_Dow

some people are trying to find issue with this game, namely diversity to make the game seem bad.

Honestly, who the fuck cares, even as a non-white, i sure as hell don’t look for it in a game.
Here here. Myself and my cousins are non white, all don't give a fook and all getting the game. The Era activists don't speak for us and many of them are literal white knights lol.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Now this is borderline hypocrisy.

They said 4K30... but we a know that would be using reconstruction, as is what everyone is doing. So why is it an issue now?

And GOTY ast yearwas EdenRing.... You need me to tell you how janky the performance of that game was? Compared to that this one is perfect.

And again, this one has two modes,a 30 and 60fps mode. Yes, the 60 mode needs work..but the 30fps mode is there and ok. Why is it ok for everything else to have a 30fps mode only then this game that even gives the option for both is somehow supposed to be chastised? They are doing exactly what I have been saying is the minimum I expect from Devs, give a 30 and 60fps mode. That they are even talking about its fps before launch and saying they will address it is by far o than most devs even do these days. FS is still yet to fix the fps in any of the numerous modes elden ring has. Redfall literally advertised a 60fps mode and totally axed that from the final game...

Pls, dont talk like this game is just as bad as the worst offenders here. You talk about drops below 30 in performance mode as if that's the norm...or as if they won't fix it or can't fix it. Relax. That was a fucking demo... let the game release, let it not be fixed.. then you can start saying all this.

And I don't know about people calling it their GOTY now, but I am sure a lot of them have played or are paying the full game as we speak.

The game can be amazing, and look amazing and sound amazing, but it deserves being called out for poor performance. Don't act like Elden Ring was given a pass. It was dragged over the coals for its performance and that is what should be happening here.

Fair play it is a demo so if it launches day one and is sorted then fine.

They also deserve some heat for straight up lying to gather good will. They said it didn't need a day one patch...queue more posts that we believe in yoshi p and the game will be amazing. Now it's got weeks of patches planned just like star wars jedi survivor.

Jedi survivor got knocked for its performance in reviews and rightfully so. It is a plus 90 game stuck in an 80s performing product.

If final fantasy performs as bad or worse I just hope we see a fair message from the industry and this is brought up in reviews and from posts/comments on the internet or we are setting a bad president.

How can some games be piled on for the performance but others that are dropping below 30fps in their 60fps performance modes get a free pass?

The game looks to be amazing so it's a shame it didn't have a few extra months of polish before it launched, but I guess every game launches like that now. It should just be treated as much.

rofif

Banned
The game can be amazing, and look amazing and sound amazing, but it deserves being called out for poor performance. Don't act like Elden Ring was given a pass. It was dragged over the coals for its performance and that is what should be happening here.

Fair play it is a demo so if it launches day one and is sorted then fine.

They also deserve some heat for straight up lying to gather good will. They said it didn't need a day one patch...queue more posts that we believe in yoshi p and the game will be amazing. Now it's got weeks of patches planned just like star wars jedi survivor.

Jedi survivor got knocked for its performance in reviews and rightfully so. It is a plus 90 game stuck in an 80s performing product.

If final fantasy performs as bad or worse I just hope we see a fair message from the industry and this is brought up in reviews and from posts/comments on the internet or we are setting a bad president.

How can some games be piled on for the performance but others that are dropping below 30fps in their 60fps performance modes get a free pass?

The game looks to be amazing so it's a shame it didn't have a few extra months of polish before it launched, but I guess every game launches like that now. It should just be treated as much.
"but it deserves being called out for poor performance" - Poor performance? Only spotty in 60fps mode. Not THAT terrible.
"They also deserve some heat for straight up lying to gather good will. They said it didn't need a day one patch" Comparing to jedi survivor is disingenuous. wtf man This is a totally different caliber.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
"but it deserves being called out for poor performance" - Poor performance? Only spotty in 60fps mode. Not THAT terrible.
"They also deserve some heat for straight up lying to gather good will. They said it didn't need a day one patch" Comparing to jedi survivor is disingenuous. wtf man This is a totally different caliber.

Have you watched the framerate comparisons? You are being disingenuous.

If it launches in a state close to the demo its basically between 45 and 55 when running around, mostly locked 60 in combat with some fights well in the low to mid 50s and eikon fights below 30fps...its worse than jedi survivor and elden ring, and nier automata and bayonetta on switch.

That's the demo though. Actually do some research

Also likes from James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford on anyone who comments on this games frame rate, has made over hundreds of comments about framerate recently... sort your priorities out, mate. What a joke haha

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Have you watched the framerate comparisons? You are being disingenuous.

If it launches in a state close to the demo its basically between 45 and 55 when running around, mostly locked 60 in combat with some fights well in the low to mid 50s and eikon fights below 30fps...its worse than jedi survivor and elden ring, and nier automata and bayonetta on switch.

That's the demo though. Actually do some research

Also likes from James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford on anyone who comments on this games frame rate, has made over hundreds of comments about framerate recently... sort your priorities out, mate. What a joke haha
Outside of enthusiast forums, many either don't care or don't notice performance struggles unless it's like Cyberpunk for the first 6-12months. If people did care then games like Elden, Hogwarts and Jedi would sell a lot less. Many will play FF for characters, story, music, not for a smooth 60fps. Starfield will be the next one, given the history of Bethesda and the resolution stuff from this week. You'd be better of focusing your efforts on raising awareness on that given that it's still a few months from release.

Also if this is a big enough deal for you that you will spend every single day online writing paragraphs about it, at least wait for the launch version post day 1 patch and DF to give a verdict.

FeralEcho

I have to be honest...I feel a great sense of pity for all the "gamers" out there who only care about high framerates and can not fucking shut up about it in every thread lmao You fuckers would jerk off to the fps counter If there was one available on consoles I swear,its downright pathetic to hear you complain in every single fucking thread about fps and fps drops and unplayable this and unplayable that...Are you looking to audition for Digital Foundry or what?

As someone who still enjoys his PS3 and PS2 as well as Switch games that dive into sub 30's like a masterpiece like TOTK I pity you guys that there are so many incredible games out there that you miss out on and can not enjoy because your tiny brain cannot adjust to framerates lower than 60 as If its a fucking norm or something and we didn't have a standard of 30 fps for the 2 whole fucking previous generations but when you grow up with Fortnite at 120fps i can't say I blame you.Its like growing up with tiktok and facebook/meta.Your mind just reverts to this vegetative state where you can't fathom enjoying something that's out of your confort zone so everything must adjust to your likings not you adjusting to it.People can apparently no longer adapt to things to get more enjoyment out of it like we all did back in the old days but hey guys I got a solution for all of you that will help you not waste so much time on forums crying like a bunch of little babies that got their candies stolen...

The answer to all your FPS problems is......
Suspense Anticipation GIF

GET A FUCKING PC!!!

Then you'll finally be able to shut the fuck up and you'll be able to play FFXVI in a year or so on PC with your loving fps counter on top corner as well so you can jerk off properly to it.

THE DUCK

Banned
I have to be honest...I feel a great sense of pity for all the "gamers" out there who only care about high framerates and can not fucking shut up about it in every thread lmao You fuckers would jerk off to the fps counter If there was one available on consoles I swear,its downright pathetic to hear you complain in every single fucking thread about fps and fps drops and unplayable this and unplayable that...Are you looking to audition for Digital Foundry or what?

As someone who still enjoys his PS3 and PS2 as well as Switch games that dive into sub 30's like a masterpiece like TOTK I pity you guys that there are so many incredible games out there that you miss out on and can not enjoy because your tiny brain cannot adjust to framerates lower than 60 as If its a fucking norm or something and we didn't have a standard of 30 fps for the 2 whole fucking previous generations but when you grow up with Fortnite at 120fps i can't say I blame you.Its like growing up with tiktok and facebook/meta.Your mind just reverts to this vegetative state where you can't fathom enjoying something that's out of your confort zone so everything must adjust to your likings not you adjusting to it.People can apparently no longer adapt to things to get more enjoyment out of it like we all did back in the old days but hey guys I got a solution for all of you that will help you not waste so much time on forums crying like a bunch of little babies that got their candies stolen...

GET A FUCKING PC!!!

Then you'll finally be able to shut the fuck up and you'll be able to play FFXVI in a year or so on PC with your loving fps counter on top corner as well so you can jerk off properly to it.

I can live with 30fps sometimes as I like the eye candy, but this game at 30fps when you pan the camera it's blurry city. Some games are, some aren't..........
I'm kind of in the middle, but I think your overreacting on those who hate 30.......

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

GET A FUCKING PC!!!

Exactly why I bought a 4090 pc. I just wish square and Sony worked to make sure an exclusive game launching on one platform in 2023 that is touted to have a 60fps mode was actually 60fps and not performing worse than other none exclusive games.

FeralEcho

Exactly why I bought a 4090 pc. I just wish square and Sony worked to make sure an exclusive game launching on one platform in 2023 that is touted to have a 60fps mode was actually 60fps and not performing worse than other none exclusive games.
I'm sure the day 1 patch will make the performance mode more stable,If not there is a perfectly fine,stable 30 fps mode for people who can't wait until the PC version arrives.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm sure the day 1 patch will make the performance mode more stable,If not there is a perfectly fine,stable 30 fps mode for people who can't wait until the PC version arrives.

I imagine it will be a year away at least which sucks but hopefully it's all sorted for launch and us that own everything don't need to wait.

Minsc

Gold Member
I’m sure your TV is good overall, but for motion, it isn’t even close to OLED. Rtings tested my LG C9 as having about 15x faster pixel response rate. It is so fast, that the main issue with the TV is that you can see each individual frame so clearly, that low frame rates look choppy. Your slow pixel response probably just smears the game’s motion blur. Modern displays need motion blur at low framerates, or it will appear to stutter.

Have you tried your TV’s BFI?

The game looks completely smooth for me in graphical mode. Frame rate dips very low during specific cutscenes, though.

I can see the individual frames clearly as well, the response time is rated at 3ms (100% at 8ms). That's far faster than the 30fps framerate and probably even better than my PC monitor not sure, those are generally 1-5ms for good ones, and PC is using 100+ fps content not 30.

If you compare the images of RTINGS at 8.5 and 10 on the two TVs reviews they are nearly identical (actually the third image, 30fps motion is a LOT sharper on mine looking at them, maybe that's the issue)

Yours:
motion-blur-small.jpg

bfi-small.jpg

soap-opera-effect-30-fps-small.jpg

Mine:
motion-blur-small.jpg

bfi-small.jpg

soap-opera-effect-30-fps-small.jpg

Again, it's no slouch of a TV - "Motion handling is superb thanks to its incredibly fast response time and Black Frame Insertion feature / exceptionally low input lag and FreeSync support"

And there's no shortage of people saying the motion blur is way over the top in the game as well, who want it disabled or minimized. Anyway, the performance mode is tolerable for me, like I said, I played it in performance and enjoyed it. But quality is not.

Last edited:

Flabagast

After playing it a second time... in that final cutscene with the Duchess where she spares Clive's life, she starts to walk away with her hand maidens and as the camera pulls out, a couple soldiers just straight up kill them as they're walking away with her. Like wtf? Lol, what's the explanation for that? I mean they are her servants that are already basically enslaved to her and pose no threat, so... why? I really hope that there's some deeper reason than just "evil bad lady".

Yes it is a badly written mistep in the demo with no narrative sense at all (The classic When?Where?Why?How? do not have any logic in this very small beat)

Thats ok but yeah

Yes it is a badly written mistep in the demo with no narrative sense at all (The classic When?Where?Why?How? do not have any logic in this very small beat)

Thats ok but yeah
If you listen to her Convo with the ladies in waiting in the castle gardens earlier she says "if anything happens to Joshua, it will be your heads" or something along those lines. And he wasn't actually supposed to die during the attack on Phoenix gate. So technically she just did what she said she would. It was actually foreshadowed if you caught it, which is cool.

Caio

GET A FUCKING PC!!!

AHHH so funny :
"GET A FUCKING PC!!!
Then you'll finally be able to shut the fuck up and you'll be able to play FFXVI in a year or so on PC with your loving fps counter on top corner as well so you can jerk off properly to it."

Post of the day, and I couldn't say it better :D

Whitecrow

Banned
AHHH so funny :
"GET A FUCKING PC!!!
Then you'll finally be able to shut the fuck up and you'll be able to play FFXVI in a year or so on PC with your loving fps counter on top corner as well so you can jerk off properly to it."

Post of the day, and I couldn't say it better :D
Is he wrong? No, he isnt.
Everyone who prefers frame rate over quality games, PC is indeed the answer.

Consoles are where quality games are at, and anyone with a minimum of sanity knows that. PS3 came on 2006. Look how many freaking years have we been getting 30 fps games, and people still prefers to bitch about it instead of accepting it.
So yeah, I pity them, very strongly.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Last edited:

Lasha

I beat the demo and completed the combat challenge. The setting, art direction, and performances all enthralled me. I haven't been this inspired to dig into a FF setting since Ivalice. The way the end of the demo wraps back to the opening is so well done. I appreciate SE's willingness to tank an M rating. The blood and profanity add a layer of grit to a fanciful world. The brutal moments hit so hard. I was caught by surprise when I saw the first death. I never thought that a mainline FF would go so far. I think the story has a chance to become the best in the series.

The shift to real time didn't bother me so much. Combat flows nicely with a relatively simple system of combos, dodges, and special moves. Smashing the boss with a perfectly timed Titan attack to stagger then smashing out a murder skill combo felt natural. I am a bit concerned with the difficulty and the pacing. I played blind with no assists and only got touched once while getting used to the camera. The difficulty in the demo and the combat trial was too low. Everything looks flashy but I didn't see the depth of other action games. The pacing is pure FFXIV: Trash mobs pulls in a row then fight a cinematic boss. The last fight of the combat challenge felt like a single player version of a FFXIV trial. Mastering the combat system feels pointless when a boss follows the FFXIV trope where you only take or deal meaningful damage during mechanics.

I played a second time to see how the assists work. They turn the game into a glorified cutscene. Its impossible to die since the window for dodging is so lenient. I kinda wish the action combat had been scrapped in favor of an evolution of FFXII's gambit system. The game could be deep while being accessible.

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
If you listen to her Convo with the ladies in waiting in the castle gardens earlier she says "if anything happens to Joshua, it will be your heads" or something along those lines. And he wasn't actually supposed to die during the attack on Phoenix gate. So technically she just did what she said she would. It was actually foreshadowed if you caught it, which is cool.
That seems to be the mystery here (along with some other questions), her ambivalence towards what happened to Joshua is a huge tonal shift from before, where she was worried about him. Could have been an act before, but if she is actually his mother I somehow doubt that. I think Joshua is still alive. We'll find out soon enough!

Thaedolus

That seems to be the mystery here (along with some other questions), her ambivalence towards what happened to Joshua is a huge tonal shift from before, where she was worried about him. Could have been an act before, but if she is actually his mother I somehow doubt that. I think Joshua is still alive. We'll find out soon enough!
My guess:

He’s a phoenix. Of course he’ll come back…unless they really grew a pair and will let a character stay dead and thus not ruin the impact of the loss. But I’m not holding my breath

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
My guess:

He’s a phoenix. Of course he’ll come back…unless they really grew a pair and will let a character stay dead and thus not ruin the impact of the loss. But I’m not holding my breath
Good point
I'm recalling now, a scene in one of the gameplay videos where the Phoenix is fighting Bahamut. Could be a bait and switch though, we don't know if that is actually Joshua as the Phoenix in that fight.

It's art over tech but more importantly it was a big console / PC release which launched without any performance issue on all the platforms it came out on.

RE4 remake also had minimal issues on day 1. Minor connection issues aside, Diablo 4 has also had a pretty solid launch with only the PC version showing issues if you try to use Ultra textures on cards below 16GB GPUs.

No disrespect to FF16, it looks tremendously polished and Square's most confident game in a while, but John's statement is a bit blasé
Or it's the most polished game they have reviewed in a while. We still don't know so how can you say that his statement is biased?

I’m trying to see what people are talking about with the graphics mode in this game. I went to play it again. Maybe it’s cus I came from Zelda and Jedi Survivor before this - but it legit feels incredibly smooth to me. There’s slow down on the big fight between the Phoenix and the beast - but other than that it legit feels like one of the smoothest games I’ve played on my oled. I don’t know what they’re doing but I straight up don’t feel the 30 FPS ness of it at all even when looking for it. Maybe I’m just lucky

Go_Ly_Dow

I beat the demo and completed the combat challenge. The setting, art direction, and performances all enthralled me. I haven't been this inspired to dig into a FF setting since Ivalice. The way the end of the demo wraps back to the opening is so well done. I appreciate SE's willingness to tank an M rating. The blood and profanity add a layer of grit to a fanciful world. The brutal moments hit so hard. I was caught by surprise when I saw the first death. I never thought that a mainline FF would go so far. I think the story has a chance to become the best in the series.

The shift to real time didn't bother me so much. Combat flows nicely with a relatively simple system of combos, dodges, and special moves. Smashing the boss with a perfectly timed Titan attack to stagger then smashing out a murder skill combo felt natural. I am a bit concerned with the difficulty and the pacing. I played blind with no assists and only got touched once while getting used to the camera. The difficulty in the demo and the combat trial was too low. Everything looks flashy but I didn't see the depth of other action games. The pacing is pure FFXIV: Trash mobs pulls in a row then fight a cinematic boss. The last fight of the combat challenge felt like a single player version of a FFXIV trial. Mastering the combat system feels pointless when a boss follows the FFXIV trope where you only take or deal meaningful damage during mechanics.

I played a second time to see how the assists work. They turn the game into a glorified cutscene. Its impossible to die since the window for dodging is so lenient. I kinda wish the action combat had been scrapped in favor of an evolution of FFXII's gambit system. The game could be deep while being accessible.
Did you unequip the auto dodge accessory in the 2nd demo?

I’m trying to see what people are talking about with the graphics mode in this game. I went to play it again. Maybe it’s cus I came from Zelda and Jedi Survivor before this - but it legit feels incredibly smooth to me. There’s slow down on the big fight between the Phoenix and the beast - but other than that it legit feels like one of the smoothest games I’ve played on my oled. I don’t know what they’re doing but I straight up don’t feel the 30 FPS ness of it at all even when looking for it. Maybe I’m just lucky
It's not just you. The 30fps mode feels smoother than most to me. It was obviously their focus and it shows.

oji-san

Banned
Played the demo yesterday up until the first big goblin boss, only wanted to test the combat and skipped all cutscenes, the little i saw was epic. The combat seems really fun and much better to me then XV and 7R, the game looks great and up until the part i played it ran pretty smooth.

Gudji

The graphics mode just has a bit too much of motion blur but otherwise is fine. The performance mode is the one that really needs improvement.

Boneless

Soundtrack seems good but I wonder if it will be as good as FFXV. Say what you will about the game, but some of the songs are among the best:

title song:

prelude:

Top Bottom