• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Ships 3M Units Worldwide

Square Enix “panicking” about FFXVI sales be like:

DZ2uPIR.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

Very good, XV released on two platforms and had a 10 year hype cycle, VIIR released on a very high install base + FFVII brand hype.

Word of mouth should be excellent with this once now that many have gotten further into it.

Its the best FF since 10 or 12 in my eyes and may break into my top 3!

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Something to consider, the average revenue per unit sold is probably substantially higher in comparison to FFXV and FF7R due to the standard edition being priced higher. Then there's also the even pricier deluxe edition which albeit anecdotally seemed to have sold well.
It was surprising to see the Deluxe Edition outpace the standard for like a month+ overseas. Collectors Edition sold out in its 2 runs after the State of Play, as well.

jm89

Something to consider, the average revenue per unit sold is probably substantially higher in comparison to FFXV and FF7R due to the standard edition being priced higher. Then there's also the even pricier deluxe edition which albeit anecdotally seemed to have sold well.
Digital will contribute a lot as well, and they will take a bigger cut of that.

One of the online retailers i buy from in the UK went out of stock in launch week, you don't see that very often. Wonder if se may have slightly underestimated demand, another retailer upped the price after launch which you don't see very often either.

Go_Ly_Dow

So, 3mil on a 40mil install base.

Anyone got data for when XV and VIIR released? At a guess, PS4 and XB1 install base was probably 70mil when XV released? PS4 install base when VIIR released around 100mil?

3mil at lets say an conservative average of $60 per copy (more like $70-80 factoring in special editions etc...) that's $180mil revenue week 1. Sony money hat probably quite sizeable too.

Last edited:
Where are all the haters and doubters at? All on only *1* platform, don't forget that when comparing it to FFVIIR. Deserves every sale, my GOTY frontrunner and will finish as one of my top 3 FF's unless it falls off a cliff in the second half. Well done Square, well done Yoshi P, Final Fantasy for life ⚔️

skit_data

Nice to see people supporting it! I'm about 30 hours in and it's definitely my GOTY so far, give us an option to turn off motion blur and a 40 fps mode and it will probably hold that spot the rest of the year. Story, visuals, voice acting, everything is stellar outside of the framerate.

Zheph

Anyone got data for when XV and VIIR released? At a guess, PS4 and XB1 install base was probably 60-70mil when XV released? PS4 install base when VIIR released around 100mil?

3mil at lets say an conservative average of $60 per copy (more like $70-80 factoring in special editions etc...) that's $180mil revenue week 1. Sony money hate probably quite sizeable too.
VIIR did 3.5m and the PS4 was already around 100m units so this is an excellent score for XVI

Anyone got data for when XV and VIIR released? At a guess, PS4 and XB1 install base was probably 60-70mil when XV released? PS4 install base when VIIR released around 100mil?

3mil at lets say an conservative average of $60 per copy (more like $70-80 factoring in special editions etc...) that's $180mil revenue week 1. Sony money hate probably quite sizeable too.
FFXV Installbase (PS4 + Xbone) at launch: Almost 75m units.
FF7R Installbase (PS4) at launch: Almost 110m units.
FFXVI Installbase (PS5) at launch: Almost 40m units.

Average price for standard is $/£/€68.5 and deluxe edition about £/€/$ about $99.

Revenue is definitely higher than FF7R and possibly FFXV.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Average price for standard is $/£/€68.5 and deluxe edition about £/€/$ about $99.

You're wasting your time arguing with people who react emotionally to news like this without even understand the meaning of context.

As for your post 100% on point mate 👍

Go_Ly_Dow

Awesome + Sony money hat too, expect good legs and then PC release. All things considered, it's safe to say high budget FF games can turn a healthy profit quite quickly.

We need more FF games like VIIR and definitely XVI. A massive step up from XIII and XV era.

XVI is compareable to PS1 levels of a grand adventure.

Last edited:

Zheph

Ehh. Final Fantasy XV came out 3 years after PS4 release. So...exactly same timeframe as FFXVI on PS5.
The console was more available, the game did cost less and was still available on other platform
if you want to play, I see many xbox fans complaining each time they missing a JRPG, surely they buy those games too or they wait for GP?

I am sure Square Enix is extremely happy with that score

mrmustard

Banned
Do we know how much a Sony money hat is for an AAA game? $20-50mil perhaps?
I think the moneyhatting + that intense Sony marketing is easily around 150 millions, but i totally pulled that number out of my ass. If we assume Xbox only did 20-25% of the sales that's already nearly 50 million Dollars after some days Sony has to compensate for not to talk about pc sales and possible Games with Gold or Game Pass money.

Last edited:
Nah. I think it is a success.
But people here are celebrating like it is best selling FF ever already with mindblowing numbers.
When it sold 60% of what previous game in series sold in same timeframe.
It sold 85% of what FF7R did and 75% of the PS4 version of FFXV.

And no, The Xbone version did a respectable 1m units day one, a very significant amount that some people are still saying is not.

Do we know how much a Sony money hat is for an AAA game? $20-50mil perhaps?
Considering Tomb Raider or Bordelands numbers (both 100m), i'd say something in the 100-200m at least (for such a big saga, not any AAA ofc) , would definitely be cheaper if it was just about excluding Xbox, but PC is big nowadays, and you don't just have to pay for the copies that won't be sold but for the players the saga is losing, the more sales a game has, the easier for future games to do better numbers.

About the 3 million sales these aren't terrible, even for a main Final Fantasy game, bit weak compared to the 5m day 1 from FFXV but it was expected, i think the saga will make a comeback with FF 7 Rebirth

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Nah. I think it is a success.
But people here are celebrating like it is best selling FF ever already with mindblowing numbers.
When it sold 60% of what previous game in series sold in same timeframe.

People are happy because there were others being absolute twats over this game and claiming it wouldn't sell. Spreading FUD about pre-order panic at SE. For comparison, The Outer Worlds took 2 years and 4 platforms, with a vastly higher combined install base, to sell 3 million. FF16 did that on one platform in a week.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Considering price per unit, install base and a singular platfrom - this number is actually terrific. And FF XV was shipped mostly on discs that were rotting in bargain bins for years after. FF XVI was sold-in digital for the most part.

All and all it's great that FF is still a big brand to consider.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Considering Tomb Raider or Bordelands numbers (both 100m), i'd say something in the 100-200m at least (for such a big saga, not any AAA ofc) , would definitely be cheaper if it was just about excluding Xbox, but PC is big nowadays, and you don't just have to pay for the copies that won't be sold but for the players the saga is losing, the more sales a game has, the easier for future games to do better numbers.

About the 3 million sales these aren't terrible, even for a main Final Fantasy game, bit weak compared to the 5m day 1 from FFXV but it was expected, i think the saga will make a comeback with FF 7 Rebirth
100mil is crazy.

I'll go with a $200mil dev+marketing budget and a $50mil Sony moneyhat, so 25% of the total budget perhaps. Making these numbers up out of thin air, but I think a fair estimate?

mrmustard

Banned
100mil is crazy.

I'll go with a $200mil dev+marketing budget and a $50mil Sony moneyhat, so 25% of the total budget perhaps. Making these numbers up out of thin air, but I think a fair estimate?
The moneyhat has to be be much more than 50 million, that's just a couple of 100k Xbox copies and we don't even talk about pc/GwG/GP. But Sony doesn't have to make money with the game directly. They wanted it to sell consoles + 3rd party games + subs.

100mil is crazy.

MS was a sucker if they really paid $100m. for the exclusivity of Tomb Raider for a 1 year, but I doubt Sony paid $50m for just FFXVI, I would understand it if they did the combo Forspoken+FFXVI+FF7Rebirth for $50m.

But, unless the data comes from the MS-Sony-ABK trial, we’ll never know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom