• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Ships 3M Units Worldwide

RoboFu

One of the green rats
dSAwIEi.jpg

Lil Yachty Drake GIF by hamlet

lol you think this is about fanboyism? thats funny coming from you!

I asked for that title during the meltdown thread because it was hilarious. I am way more of a nintendo fanboy than anything and a huge FF fanboy.

But its nice seeing you have no real comeback to the facts.

Square Enix sold the soul of Final Fantasy to capture mainstream and this is what they get?

I bet they were expecting 5 million day 1 sales with 50 million lifetime, cause Witcher 3 did as much with it's action combat.

Loose - loose situation all around with massive L for long term Final Fantasy fans and smack in the head for SE. This seems to be bigger failure than Forspoken, considering pedigree of this franchise.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
lol you think this is about fanboyism? thats funny coming from you!

I asked for that title during the meltdown thread because it was hilarious. I am way more of a nintendo fanboy than anything and a huge FF fanboy.

But its nice seeing you have no real comeback to the facts.
That's not what the tag says though 😄

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

drganon

Gold Member
Square Enix sold the soul of Final Fantasy to capture mainstream and this is what they get?

I bet they were expecting 5 million day 1 sales with 50 million lifetime, cause Witcher 3 did as much with it's action combat.

Loose - loose situation all around with massive L for long term Final Fantasy fans and smack in the head for SE. This seems to be bigger failure than Forspoken, considering pedigree of this franchise.
dumb-goat.gif

poor perfamance and wont keep selling.....

Now lets see what 15 did..

"Final Fantasy 15 Ships 5 Million Copies, Achieves Fastest Start Ever for the Franchise"

oh-my-george-takei.gif

Now

Thought about explaining it to you but then realized its pointless. I'll let you live in your ignorance. You should be thread banned for this level of trolling.

Last edited:

Just when I thought I saw the most mind-numbingly retarded post on this forum here comes another to take it's place! GAF, you truly are a special place ❤️.

"massive L for long term Final Fantasy fans"

Shhhh! No one tell him many of us "long term Final Fantasy fans" are absolutely in love with the game!

ungalo

People give too much weight to install base in my opinion. The core public who already owns the PS5 is the one who drives the sales numbers for most games, especially this kind of game, and is a large chunk of the potential revenue.

I'm not saying it has no impact on sales but it's hard to estimate. Those are good numbers but still stagnating if not decreasing when comparable traditional franchises are thriving.

LordCBH

The Big Lebowski Whatever GIF

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
FF7 Remake was 3,5 on the same period i think.

It's pretty good, nothing crazy. I hope it sells in the long term contrary to the remake.
Yes but also that has the final fantasy VII name behind it as well which most people I would say would be their fav final fantasy where this is a new one in the franchise and slightly strays away from what final fantasy is

Luigi Mario

poor perfamance and wont keep selling.....

Now lets see what 15 did....

"Final Fantasy 15 Ships 5 Million Copies, Achieves Fastest Start Ever for the Franchise"

3 million is low for a BIG franchise and less than the last game. Whats so hard to understand about that?
Brother, what an embarrassment.

HE5Mr1f.gif

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.

fake-suicide-fake-gun.gif

Robb

Gold Member
Fantastic, good on Square. I’m actually intrigued to pick this up myself once I get a Ps5, the new direction seems way more in line with my taste.

Hudo

Gold Member
I think these are pretty good numbers for a game that is only released on one platform. I will certainly pick it up when it comes to PC.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Now let’s just hope it has legs and they start pushing out expansions a la FF14 once in two years while FF17 cooks.

I mean, I played my first FF in 1990 and this is the most fun I’ve had with the series since FF6 but what do I know ???

For me it's honestly the best FF since FFX (10). I kinda slowly lost interest when the next one was that female focused one. Then by FF12 I was more interested in chasing beaver myself so missed out from that point.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Things to consider with this game's sales:
  • Exclusive to one console.
  • Smaller install base than VII:R at the time.
  • $10 price hike.
  • Crowded month of big games. Tears of the Kingdom, Street Fighter VI, and Diablo IV. For comparison, FFVII:R released at the start of a global pandemic where everyone had to stay indoors, and FFXV release late November with no competition and getting that Holiday sales bump.
  • Muted hype compared to FFXV and VII:R.
All those things considered, 3 million is really good and I'm sure the team is quite happy about it.

Last edited:

Ansphn

It’s the best Final Fantasy ever imo. So we’ll deserved but people are sleeping on this game. It should be doing double.
Yup its better than 7 Remake for me. Its a complete game while 7 Remake is half a game.

This is the direction i want FF main titles to go with more improvements and adding things people loved (Except no turn-base) in future titles from the old titles. To me, this is the FF equivalent of GoW 2018, or even Uncharted 1 moment. They have the ground works that is already AMAZING, now they need to apply the best of this game (Boss fight scale and spectacle + mature story) to everything else that people loved from past FF, they have the formula to bring FF back to the upper echelon of gaming again.

Last edited:

Elios83

Great debut, I expect it to have legs both because of positive wom and the fact that many would like to play it but still don't have a PS5. I have two friends who are waiting for the Slim model later this year to get a PS5 and play this game

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People give too much weight to install base in my opinion. The core public who already owns the PS5 is the one who drives the sales numbers for most games, especially this kind of game, and is a large chunk of the potential revenue.

I'm not saying it has no impact on sales but it's hard to estimate. Those are good numbers but still stagnating if not decreasing when comparable traditional franchises are thriving.
Traditional franchises like RE4 Remake that only sold 3.7 million (vs. FF16's 3 million) despite releasing on 4 platforms with a userbase of more than 250 million?

Madflavor

Gold Member
Someone else mentioned the VII:R was also released right at the start of a global pandemic where people had to stay indoors, and FFXV released in late November with no competition and got that holiday bump.

If I recall right, yeah.

I'm concerned for his mental health at this point the amount of Ls he's taken.

As for these sales, let's not forget the game released with huge competition from all sides, SW: Jedi Survivor, Link expansion, SF6 and Diablo 5. Next month should sell great too as the slate is relatively clear.

JaksGhost

Name those comparable traditional franchises, I'm trying to see something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom