• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Ships 3M Units Worldwide

MrA

Square are gonna be disappointed anyway since their sales metrics are fucking crazy.
Only for their western studios, they seemed only miffed at forspoken instead of angry about tomb raider or hitman but they don't have those to scape goat anymore
, anyway, legs will be what really matters , 3 million is fine to start better than was indicated by the uks 31k opening, but it will need to keep selling well to be a success

??? Nobody here said anything like that?

There were a few that were acting like ff16 would capitipult ps5 demand to the moon, but those are also the people the that clamor for Sony to buy studios while cursing ms for the abk acquisition

100mil is crazy.

I'll go with a $200mil dev+marketing budget and a $50mil Sony moneyhat, so 25% of the total budget perhaps. Making these numbers up out of thin air, but I think a fair estimate?
If Sony managed to get a 50m deal to not release it on Xbox.. ever? and on PC 6-12 months, they are absolute geniouses then.

And yea 100m for these other games for just 1 year was crazy, but understandable i guess, it's not just about the money you don't make from the potential sales you lose, it's these millions of future customers you are losing since they lose interest on your saga, and it's also losing strenght overall for your main saga since going from 5m in 1 day to 3m in 3 days makes people think Final Fantasy is losing relevance. It's not like Xbox would have added anything close to these 2 millions lost, but if you inscluded PC i could see it making it or being very close.

Three

I mean. It sold 500 000 copies less then FF VII Remake...
...and 2 million copies less then FF XV.

"But it is available only on one platform"
Yes, but people here also told me that game did not sell well on Xbox and number of copies sold there were irrelevant.
On 1/5th of the install base. FF7R wasn't on xbox and FFXV didn't sell 2M copies more. Not sure where you're getting that data from.

Go_Ly_Dow

MS was a sucker if they really paid $100m. for the exclusivity of Tomb Raider for a 1 year, but I doubt Sony paid $50m for just FFXVI, I would understand it if they did the combo Forspoken+FFXVI+FF7Rebirth for $50m.

But, unless the data comes from the MS-Sony-ABK trial, we’ll never know.
S-E could easily justify a $50mil moneyhat for just XVI.

They are essentially leaving 1-2mil month 1 sales by not releasing on XB and PC. In revenue terms that's up to 100mil or more.

Tsaki

Good on SE and CBU3! And to think that some thought it bombed. It has even higher average selling price since there are price increases as well as the massively bigger percentage of digital games.

Last edited:
A lot of you already pointed out some of the obvious facts ($70 price tag, PS5 install base etc) for those who - against all common sense and reason - are still trying to downplay these numbers. Here is another point though: worldwide recession. The past year in particular hit a lot of people hard economically, taking this and all the above factors into consideration as a whole the sales become even more impressive.

Last edited:

Zheph

It would be hard to track any number regarding the exclusivity due to factors such as PS market share, the fact they also help for development and many more but also likely paid a premium because it didn't launch on PS4

Zheph

bj0aXId.jpg

Zheph

It’s the best Final Fantasy ever imo. So we’ll deserved but people are sleeping on this game. It should be doing double.
bro I am with you but this is nearly 10% of people having a PS5 buying it, it's pretty good :messenger_loudly_crying:

I'll add yet another point to consider: the time frame of when it launched. Diablo 4 and Street Fighter 6 both came out a mere two weeks before FFXVI. Each has it's audience (I bought all 3) but there are surely those who have interest in all of them but can only afford to pick up one.

In this case I'd say the the games that launched earlier have an inherint advantage coming off a gaming dry spell with the last real noteworthy release being Jedi Survivor at the end of April (I'm focusing purely on the PlayStation ecosystem thus no mention of Zelda). So I wonder how much *more* it could have sold had it not had to compete for gaming dollars with two other monster releases. Alas, we'll never know.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Interfectum

Fastest Selling PlayStation Exclusives:
• 1st: God Of War Ragnarok: 5.1+ Million (11+ Million)
• 2nd: The Last Of Us Part II: 4+ Million (10+ Million)
• 3rd: Final Fantasy VII Remake: 3.5+ Million (5+ Million Shipped)
• 4th: Spider-Man: 3.3+ Million (20+ Million)
• 5th: God Of War: 3.1+ Million (23+ Million)
• 6th: Final Fantasy XVI: 3+ Million
• 7th: Ghost Of Tsushima: 2.4+ Million (9.73+ Million)

Three

poor perfamance and wont keep selling.....

Now lets see what 15 did..

"Final Fantasy 15 Ships 5 Million Copies, Achieves Fastest Start Ever for the Franchise"

oh-my-george-takei.gif

Now
"Shipment figures pertain to the number of copies sent to retailers, and does not necessarily represent how many have actually been sold to consumers."

Try harder.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Do we know how much a Sony money hat is for an AAA game? $20-50mil perhaps?
This isn't really a money hat considering it'll be a permanent console exclusive. It's more like Sony funding the game and then sharing the profits.

The game will go on PC after some time and will never release on an Xbox. This is exactly how Sony treats its own first-party titles.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Brilliant news. Hopefully this means they will throw us some combat focused DLC. Would love a boss rush mode and something like DMC's bloody palace.
Eikon vs. Eikon F2P Battle Royale 😛

*In-game purchases are all cosmetics. Pre-order the deluxe edition for early access and Bahamut's and Ifrit's pink Hello Kitty packs.

Three

This topic is about SHIPMENTS lol

ummm don't try so hard?
That's not true though. the original japanese source says sold. You can't ship digital copies either.

Read the famitsu source.
"FF16 has sold over 3 million units worldwide in about a week since its release."

Top Bottom