• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

I'll believe it when I see it. Of course, with these impression I WILL be seeing it.

The thing that stands out to me the most about the original is that even though it's a long slow paced movie, Bladerunner always flew by for me. It starts ending and I always say 'already?!'

Looking forward to how the new one stacks up.

Nah, it’s one of the most perfectly executed films in my eyes. What are these “incredible flaws”?

I wouldn't call it a "flaw" per se, but let's be honest- the actual story of Blade Runner isn't all that impressive. It's more focused on acting as the metaphorical vehicle used by the film in order to share a) Roy Batty, b) the central themes and c) essentially the entire Cyberpunk aesthetic (looks and sound) all at once. Which is fine, because those three main goals all work astoundingly well.

I adore the film, but I can absolutely see the new film improving upon the original if it has a better story at its core. It probably won't be as massively groundbreaking, but I can see a case being made for it being a better film overall than the original.

At the end of the day, whether the majority of people end up preferring 2049 over the original or not, I think it's a safe guess at this point that we're looking at a sequel film that's right on par with the likes of Mad Max: Fury Road in terms of sheer quality.

So can you explain a bit what's so boring and flawed about it?
I never said anything about flaws. I think its a great looking and sounding movie, with a nice beginning and ending. I am just not getting warmed up towards it. I don‘t need to explain why I find something boring, it is just a subjective feeling ;).

Baltic

Banned
I never said anything about flaws. I think its a great looking and sounding movie, with a nice beginning and ending. I am just not getting warmed up towards it. I don‘t need to explain why I find something boring, it is just a subjective feeling ;).

I remember my high school English teacher fussing about it. Looking at pictures and the poster then made me think there was no chance something great would come out of it.

Ended up watching it and I was greatly impressed. But I do like a lot slow movies and great shots, so maybe that's why it worked. That would be my subjective feeling too!

YES!

YES!

FUCKING YES!

The trailers looked good but I had a bad feeling reviews were going to be, "The trailers didn't live up to the movie."

I didn't think that was going to happen. The trailer to me was lots of great scenery and tone setting, not the normal explosions or 'dumb shit that isn't even in the final film, we just shot it for the trailer'.

Say what? lol

The recliners at mine at least are fucking amazing. Especially with the Atmos sound all around. Can't wait for it, although 5 hours is a long time to be sitting and watching movies

Yeah the only theater here showing the double feature (with BR in 35MM they say, though I think that may be an error) has "buttkicker recliners" aka I'd be sitting on a subwoofer.

Bastards.

Tuorom

Neo Member
Lol at all the hate this was getting during the build up. How can you not trust Villeneuve at this point.

Yea, Villeneuve is a must see movie director. I will be excited for anything he puts out after seeing Enemy, Prisoners, Sicario, and Arrival. Jesus what a line up. He joins Nolan, and anything Daniel Day-Lewis is in, on my list of gotta see it.

But I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction. Fucking stokeddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

DENIS VILLENEUVE FOR EPISODE 9!!! or a daring side story

Figgles

I had faith in Denis, but Ridley Scott was also involved, so I was cautiously optimistic. It looks like Denis had total control.

Kazuhira

I need to watch Sicario smh Prisoners was fantastic, and Arrival is a masterpiece.

Go watch it,if he can turn such a generic plot about mexican cartels into an amazing and intense thriller then Denis can do anything.
One of the best perfomances i've seen from Emily Blunt and Benicio Del Toro.

The original is one of my favorite films...super suspicious of every franchise revival of the last 15 years, so this has work to do. These early thoughts have me optimistic, but I'm gonna be cautious.

Haines

Banned
Guess im going to have to give the original another go and try to enjoy it more. Maybe it will click so i can see this in theatres

HiiiLife

I still haven't seen the original. I know the directors cut is gonna be at a few showings around the US, but idk if I feel like waiting.

Is directors cut the recommended version?

amaretto

Yea, not sure how anyone could doubt the same director of Arrival (one of the finest movies of this century).

Very excited.

Like I said in the other thread. Villeneuve has made a few of the best films of the 21st century. To think he would totally botch this was far fetched. Dude is too good for that .

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Seems like I might watch it in theaters. I didn't really like Sicario that much though

Arrival was really good

pswii60

Came in here expecting a bunch of negative to mediocre impressions.

Nope. Woah!

That aside, I absolutely love Blade Runner, but thought Arrival was a big stinking turd. So, we'll see..

III-V

img_6679kssm2.gif

Can't wait.. Give me anything approaching this and I will be thrilled. I have high expectations, but this rollout has bene incredible. I know this film will deliver.

DrSlek

That's surprising...but I remain unconvinced. I'll probably wait a while before deciding whether to blow some cash on seeing it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Clicked on this thread with bated breath.

It's exciting to see good early impressions but i guess that's par for the course.

Jaraghan

I fucking knew it when I watched Prisoners that Villeneuve was going to outstanding in the future. God I am so excited for this movie. This guy never fails to deliver for me.

Top Bottom