• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS) screenshots

LordofPwn

if anything i feel like the PS4 version's environments need more of a cartoonish look to them. Like it's almost too realistic looking. but like its soo good idk if i'd want them to change it. Day 1.

EDIT: after second look i guess it's just the dungeon scene that looks a little off. all outside stuff looks idk what the word for it is... what's above awesome in the traditional sense?

Hugstable

Banned
Can't wait, definitely going to be playing the 16 bit Siper Famicom style for my first experience and playthrough with the game!

Also I have no clue why, but i get a feeling that they are doing a DQ1 and not having a party? I'm probably wrong but it would be interesting to see. Hope they have the job/class system in this game as well and expand on it even more!

On PS4 it looks amazing! I really hope it gets localized, along with Builders.
The 3DS version doesn't look THAT great, but that's probably because it's shown alongside the PS4 version...

The more I look at these ps4 screens, the more I think "It looks...., good, OK-ish?".

Hopefully the 3DS version makes it over here.

Arkeband

Banned
...you just described III. Apparently that isn't a DQ game either. Good to know.

Yeah totally described 3.

240px-WayfarersClothes.png

Oh wait, who's this iconic character...?

Yep, that's what I thought too, although it would be nice to get things back to form with memorable mains (although I still loved the customization of 3, 7, and 9). :)

7 had a set party.

xaszatm

Banned
Yeah totally described 3.

240px-WayfarersClothes.png

Oh wait, who's this iconic character...?

Uh...I'm assuming that's the hero of DQIII but I can't see the image. But yes, you described III. One character that matters Hero/Angel, a party of three others that is greatly customizable but don't count in the story at all. Various towns based on either puns or real life locations. A story that only matters at the beginning and end with a bunch of sidequests in between that barely connect that story. And after-gaming focusing on getting everything including previous bosses. That's III and IX.

Also, your "iconic" chracter can change depending on gender. The only thing iconic is the clothing...and what do you know, the clothing of the IX Hero is iconic as well. Look, I love III to the bottom of my heart as my favorite DQ game but you're deluding yourself if you cannot see the parallels of III and IX.

inner-G

Banned
you're deluding yourself if you cannot see the parallels of III and IX.
You're also deluding yourself to not see that having characters with no 'character' is a step back from games in the series whose casts are a big part of what makes them great. Imagine IV or VIII with soulless characters that didn't talk. It would lose a huge amount of it's impact.

AgeEighty

You're also deluding yourself to not see that having characters with no 'character' is a step back from games in the series whose casts are a big part of what makes them great. Imagine IV or VIII with soulless characters that didn't talk. It would lose a huge amount of it's impact.

Every DQ game has a silent hero that you project your own characterization onto. IX just does that with your whole party. Meanwhile, it's got a really vibrant cast of characters just like the rest of the proper DQ games, it's just that they aren't in your party.

It's a great DQ game.

inner-G

Banned
Every DQ game has a silent hero that you project your own characterization onto. IX just does that with your whole party. Meanwhile, it's got a really vibrant cast of characters just like the rest of the proper DQ games, it's just that they aren't in your party.

It's a great DQ game.

Why so defensive? Can we not critique series that we love?

It doesn't have party members with dialog, or backstories like most of the other games. I never said it was a bad game.
You're acting like I am making wild assumptions, but these are factual differences.

xaszatm

Banned

Except I didn't say that. I do think characters in DQ are great. I also enjoyed what a throwback to III IX was. IX was going for a III retro feel, and it got that.

Why, if I say I enjoyed IX, does it imply I automatically hated the other games I didn't mentioned? Where did I imply that IV-VII weren't enjoyable? Apparently because I enjoyed that move-in move-out party system of IX suddenly means I despised the vast characters of the other games?

inner-G

Banned
Except I didn't say that. I do think characters in DQ are great. I also enjoyed what a throwback to III IX was. IX was going for a III retro feel, and it got that.

Why, if I say I enjoyed IX, does it imply I automatically hated the other games I didn't mentioned? Where did I imply that IV-VII weren't enjoyable? Apparently because I enjoyed that move-in move-out party system of IX suddenly means I despised the vast characters of the other games?

I enjoyed IX along with the rest. I just think that IX and X aren't 'proper' entries in many peoples' minds because they took a lot of experimental steps and in the process lost big parts of what fans have come to enjoy from the series - hence the blowback they're received. They even re-tooled IX to make it more traditional from it's original conception.

I don't know if you liked or hated other games in the series, so i can't really speak to that.

Arkeband

Banned

It's a great DQ game.

Do you think DQ7's hero would make sense being a mohawked Mii-looking guy when he's supposed to be a country bumpkin?

Do you think DQ6's prettyboy (secretly a
prince
) hero would make sense being an old woman?

Even speechless main characters have specific designs for a reason. This is why DQXI's hero looks like he'll have a static design, and if the
Dragonlord
theory is true, it needs to remain that way to make sense.

Which one of these is the hero of IX, can you tell me?
Insider.jpg

AgeEighty

Why so defensive? Can we not critique series that we love?

It doesn't have party members with dialog, or backstories like most of the other games. I never said it was a bad game.
You're acting like I am making wild assumptions, but these are factual differences.

You can critique all you want, and I can analyze your critique all I want. It's a nice little arrangement we all have got here.

DQIX has a lot of story and backstory to explore, and a lot of great dialogue. Those are the hallmarks of the series; it doesn't have to do all that with party members to make it a "proper" DQ. DQI only has one lone party member, but even that game has most of what makes a DQ game great.

daakusedo

With the witcher 3 in mind, that landscape and city shots do the game no favor.
In the dungeon, the overall picture is a bit more fluid thanks to the colors blending a bit better.
Pretty sure a homogeneous style like ninokuni would be better.

AgeEighty

Do you think DQ7's hero would make sense being a mohawked Mii-looking guy when he's supposed to be a country bumpkin?

Do you think DQ6's prettyboy (secretly a
prince
) hero would make sense being an old woman?

The stories of those two games have more specific dimensions for their heroes than the story for DQIX, whose story allows for you to create your own heroes without their appearances increasing or diminishing their impact on events. You do understand what "role playing" is, right? It's right in the genre's name. Creating your own character is a staple of the genre, going all the way back to tabletop RPGs.

Which of the four Warriors of Light was the hero of FFI? If you could choose between several optional sprites for each class, would that have made them less heroic?

These screens look so amazing. If both get released in Europe I will moat likely double dip. Both look very different and interesting.

kurahador

Insider.jpg

lol...I remember only realizing you can create 4 party members in this game by the last boss.
Screams "fuck!!!!!!!!!!!" out loud in the middle of the night.

It's a great DQ game.

Except there's technically no party in DQIX. The story centered on the protagonist adventuring alone.

I said Daaaaaaaaaaaammnnn.

So glad I blindly preordered this in Canada when it was on sale. Don't know why but these shots impress me more than Witcher 3.

lol...I remember only realizing you can create 4 party members in this game by the last boss.
Screams "fuck!!!!!!!!!!!" out loud in the middle of the night.

Except there's technically no party in DQIX. The story centered on the protagonist adventuring alone.

What? How the hell did you get past some of the bosses? You already had to grind in that game, did you just grind for hours and hours?

BumRush

Every company says that until they're ready to make an announcement. And they can't just make that announcement any time they want to; there are deals to line up and business entanglements to address.

We always get the numbered releases in the West, except for X because it's an MMO. And as many have pointed out, it doesn't make a lot of sense to put the game on PS4 in Japan only, where that system hasn't exactly set the country on fire in sales. I wouldn't worry too much.

Very reasonable post...thank you!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The Dragon Quest game on PS2 was pretty awesome.

I wonder, will the character's equipment change visually in this one? That's one thing about the PS2 game I didn't like too much. Character's appearance was always the same.

Still, either way pretty excited for this.

Arkeband

Banned
Which of the four Warriors of Light was the hero of FFI? If you could choose between several optional sprites for each class, would that have made them less heroic?

You tried to say that the hero has an identifiable look in DQ9, and there are three faceless followers akin to DQ3. I put up a picture of four player characters and asked you to pick out the hero.

Your response is to ask who the hero is in a game with no hero character? This feels like the goalposts have moved. If you want to go the 8-Bit Theater route, it's Fighter, Thief, Red Mage, and Black Mage. :p

Top Bottom